Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
It should have been expected that last week's episode was going to be a slower "catch your breath" type episode. The show has usually followed that pattern of taking an episode off after major events, and even the preview clip didn't suggest much would happen. We are almost certainly going to have another highlight moment tonight, so I'd expect things to pick up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It was more or less a "establishing the new status quo" episode.

Ollie is buddies with Sebastian Blood, both as himself and as the vigilant, while searching hard for the man in skull mask, to the point of obsession. Roy now has super powers and he and Thea are going to explore that. Sebastian Blood runs for mayor on the same fear he actually creates. Laurel is useful starts to undercover Blood's secret.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

How fast is the episode turnaround? It seems like it's pretty fast, I remember them talking about shooting episode 14, I think, right before winter break.

They start 3 months ahead of time, but post production brings them closer as the season goes on.

Episode 14 airs February 26th, so that's roughly 2 months from filming to airing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Dear Thread,

Ollie is a vigilante. Vigilant is

a dictionary posted:

vig·i·lant
ˈvijələnt/Submit
adjective
keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties.

While is Vigilant, he is a Vigilante.

Thank You

(Not directed at anyone in specific, I just see lots of people calling him a Vigilant)

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

If it's a one scene cameo in Superman/Batman, I don't see why you wouldn't use Amell. It'd be fanservice of the right variety. It doesn't distract anyone who doesn't watch the show, but fans get a nice little "Hey, it's the version from TV!" moment that gives the character some background.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

That is such a non-statement. I would be more surprised if they weren't keeping their avenues open vis-a-vis Ollie being in Justice League.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Though if Amell was cast as movie GA, I might have to re-evaluate my stance on the existence of a wise, benevolent God.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't get the pessimism about Ollie being in a Justice League movie. Everyone points to Agents of SHIELD and how hamstrung being associated with the Marvel cinematic universe has made it but I don't think the situations are even remotely comparable. Agents of SHIELD came about as an adjunct to the already successful films. Arrow, on the other hand, is pretty much DC's only reliably successful non-comic venture right now. The Nolan Batman movies are done and Man of Steel could have been a fluke. Given the fact that a Justice League movie would probably be at least a couple of years down the road, giving Arrow even more of a head start to build up success and establish more canon (and ease into a super-hero-populated universe) I think it would still be in a fantastic position if it were related to a Justice League movie.

EDIT: VVV Well, your post aside, I've seen a lot of doom-saying in this thread. VVV

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 22, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I don't get the pessimism about Ollie being in a Justice League movie. Everyone points to Agents of SHIELD and how hamstrung being associated with the Marvel cinematic universe has made it but I don't think the situations are even remotely comparable. Agents of SHIELD came about as an adjunct to the already successful films. Arrow, on the other hand, is pretty much DC's only reliably successful non-comic venture right now. The Nolan Batman movies are done and Man of Steel could have been a fluke. Given the fact that a Justice League movie would probably be at least a couple of years down the road, giving Arrow even more of a head start to build up success and establish more canon (and ease into a super-hero-populated universe) I think it would still be in a fantastic position if it were related to a Justice League movie.

I think it would rule, actually.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Plus, if the JL movie is two to three years away anyways, it means they can later on tie in the events of MoS. Maybe even have an episode of the characters reacting to it, maybe even Ollie trying to get to Metropolis to help, or at least Queen consolidated taking part in the rebuilding

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: VVV Well, your post aside, I've seen a lot of doom-saying in this thread. VVV

I think it's because DC movies, Batman aside, have been middling to terrible and people are worried about Arrow being tainted like that. I don't know how much separation there is between the movie and TV divisions at DC, but right now we have basically the best comic book show of all time and people are worried it's going to get hosed over by some focus tested movie exec fucks.

I dunno, we'll have to see how Flash does to know if Arrow is an exception or a rule. (I hope it's not I'm really rooting for the Flash show to be good).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If Arrow plays its cards right and (at the very least) maintains its current level of quality, I figure by the time Justice League comes out it'll be popular and lucrative enough to, if not call the shots as it wishes, at least have some considerable pull in regards to how the whole tie-in plays out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On the one hand, some people didn't like Man of Steel and the direction that Zack Snyder is taking that franchise. I am one of those people.

On the other hand, some people feel that the upcoming MoS sequel looks like a big, weirdly-managed mess at the moment with characters being shoved in willy-nilly and a full year's delay out of the blue. I am also one of those people.

I don't want Arrow to be influenced in any way whatsoever -- not even in the most peripheral sense -- by the people running the WB/DC films until we see them get their act together. So, you see, it's not Arrow's quality that I'm worried about. It's the quality of the other players in the arena.

Though, yes, like Amell mentioned, any considerations about that would be so far down the line that anything could change between now and then. Hopefully it does.

zoux posted:

I think it's because DC movies, Batman aside, have been middling to terrible and people are worried about Arrow being tainted like that. I don't know how much separation there is between the movie and TV divisions at DC, but right now we have basically the best comic book show of all time and people are worried it's going to get hosed over by some focus tested movie exec fucks.
Basically this.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 22, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I finally got around to watching MoS a few weeks ago, and while it was better than Superman Returns, which isn't saying much, most of the movie reminded me of the first few episodes of Arrow, where the main thing that kept me watching were the action scenes (and it bring a comic book movie).

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

bunnyofdoom posted:

Plus, if the JL movie is two to three years away anyways, it means they can later on tie in the events of MoS. Maybe even have an episode of the characters reacting to it, maybe even Ollie trying to get to Metropolis to help, or at least Queen consolidated taking part in the rebuilding.

Someone (not me) beat you to it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Namaste posted:

Then cut to Central City where Barry sees Zod's transmission too :flashfap:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Namaste posted:

Is this an actual thing?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

Is this an actual thing?

No.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

On the one hand, some people didn't like Man of Steel and the direction that Zack Snyder is taking that franchise. I am one of those people.

On the other hand, some people feel that the upcoming MoS sequel looks like a big, weirdly-managed mess at the moment with characters being shoved in willy-nilly and a full year's delay out of the blue. I am also one of those people.

I don't want Arrow to be influenced in any way whatsoever -- not even in the most peripheral sense -- by the people running the WB/DC films until we see them get their act together. So, you see, it's not Arrow's quality that I'm worried about. It's the quality of the other players in the arena.

Though, yes, like Amell mentioned, any considerations about that would be so far down the line that anything could change between now and then. Hopefully it does.
Basically this.

I'd like to think that connecting Arrow to the DC cinematic universe would not debilitate the show, but elevate the films. I try to be more of an optimist.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

zoux posted:

Is this an actual thing?

I wish.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He just said this is absolute bullshit on his proven to be run by himself Facebook.

quote:

Something I need to get off of my chest.

When I do press, I try and be open, honest and thoughtful. That being said... I find it incredibly discouraging to see a headline like the ones I've been seeing this morning. Headlines that aren't just a stretch, they're totally fabricated. At no point, have I had "studio level" discussions about any feature films at Warner Bros.

In this particular instance, when I read articles that take a pretty straightforward answer and slap a title on it that has little to no correlation to what I've actually said, it makes it seem as though I'm disrespecting my current position. Which is bullshit. And why would I do that? I mean... I'm not the smartest dude in the world. (After all... I picked a career in acting.) But would I really just casually subvert a process cloaked in secrecy? A process - by the way - being run by the company who currently employs me. C'MON!

We're making a kick rear end show. We will continue to make a kick rear end show. And I will continue to interact and provide interesting content for our fans. Because I love our fans. If every once and a while, some dickweed wants to pull a headline out of thin air to generate page views, then that's the price we pay.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, Stephen. :allears:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

"Just some dickweed."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

teagone posted:

I'd like to think that connecting Arrow to the DC cinematic universe would not debilitate the show, but elevate the films. I try to be more of an optimist.

Totally true. Also, honestly: can the DCU movies make a better or more realized version of Green Arrow? The entire appeal of serialized television is its capacity to build complex characters and settings, and this show has given Green Arrow a surprising amount of gravitas, for what boils down to a B-list version of Batman. They're not going to do a better job elsewhere.

Regardless of your opinions about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or the new Netflix series they announced, Marvel has demonstrated it's totally feasible to interconnect a dozen movies and TV shows into the same setting. Comic fans are used to the idea, so DC should probably embrace every good thing they have going. And Arrow is probably one of their best.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rhyno posted:

He just said this is absolute bullshit on his proven to be run by himself Facebook.

Dear dirtsheet, you have failed this city.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

He also just posted this on FB:

quote:

3 hours until Arrow. 4 hours until comic book fans everywhere start high fiving one another!!!

Something really good is coming on this ep, it seems.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

madstrike posted:

Or, y'know, just another episode of Arrow.

EDIT: VVV Agents of SHIELD crossover. VVV

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 22, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

madstrike posted:

Man of Steel tie in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

Man of Steel tie in.

Let's hope not!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
From what I saw in the preview, there are some cool things happening in general, so it's possible you'll basically just get your usual dose of mirakuru awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Let's hope not!

Man, why can't you just see the possibilities!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

Man, why can't you just see the possibilities!

I can. That's why I don't want it!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phylodox posted:

Or, y'know, just another episode of Arrow.

EDIT: VVV Agents of SHIELD crossover. VVV

I would be so down for this. Diggle and May glaring at each other :allears:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
They posted a video of Roy having super strength, and we get more Sin!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Black Driver is a way cooler codename than The Calvary.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

madstrike posted:

I fully believe/ hope that we will get some cool comic cameo.

And as for the Flash, I think the most we can hope for this season is that the season finale for Season 2 will feature Barry opening his eyes as one of the codas. That way it can be used to direct Arrows audience to Flash along with Season 3 of the show.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

madstrike posted:

Felicity is going to be black canary :ssh:

Or not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Felicity rolling her eyes at Skye and Fitz/Simmons before shoving them away from her computer in the Arrowcave.

madstrike posted:

I bet he means Slade's new costume. Which from the preview last week, looks really close to how it currently does in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Ville Valo posted:

They posted a video of Roy having super strength, and we get more Sin!

Holy poo poo Roy :suspense:

• Locked thread