Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Super.Jesus posted:

Maybe the Merlin has his own grey council or ministry of ungentlemanly warfare.

Sure he does. It's called Blackstaff McCoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Raygereio posted:

I'm guessing you're thinking about Blood Rites.
The talk about entropy cursing in the thread is speculation about the book Changes and if Harry could be the Merlin's guided frozen turkey missile.

Aimed at who?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

WastedJoker posted:

Aimed at who?

The Red Court

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

Aimed at who?

The entire Red Court. Or, I suppose, at the Red King.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I need to re-read the books because I thought that already happened and it was clearly the work of the Red King? So I don't get all this talk about Merlin being behind it etc.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 22, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

I need to re-read the books because I thought that already happened and it was clearly the work of the Red King? So I don't get all this talk about Merlin being behind it etc.

The entropy curse we're talking about is hypothetical. The thing you're thinking of is the heartsploding lineage-killing ritual.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

WastedJoker posted:

At the end of changes the red king has the worst thing that could have happened to him happen and under normal circumstances it never should of happened. Since it was the worst thing to happen to him it almost sounds like it could of been an entropy curse.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Am I getting a bloodline curse mixed up with an entropy curse then?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

Entropy curses make the target die... somehow. The exact nature of the death is not under the control of the one who casts the curse. Bloodline curses are just curses that are tied to/target a bloodline.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

WastedJoker posted:

Yes. The bloodline curse was the curse the Duchess oriana/red king was going to use to kill harry and ebenezer . That is explained fully in the book.

Somethingawful fan theory is that Merlin cursed the Red king with a "bad luck curse" which caused harry to intervene at just the right moment.

Aug 15, 2010
First time reader here again and currently on Summer Knight.

Harry comes home and loving Elaine is there?!?!??

Mind.
Blown.

Just had to share.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

1554 posted:

First time reader here again and currently on Summer Knight.

Harry comes home and loving Elaine is there?!?!??

Mind.
Blown.

Just had to share.

To be honest, the first time I read the book I got up to around the point where Harry's talking about it and I thought it was foreshadowing. Like, "Oh, he's talking about his lost love whom he's presumed dead for the past few years? She's totally showing up soon".

Aug 15, 2010
I thought it was going to be Susan The Vampire!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

docbeard posted:

The Council does have a magic superweapon, and his name is Harry Dresden.

I would not be at all surprised if he's Blackstaff-In-Training as far as Merlin is concerned.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Until one of the more recent books, I always thought that Harry was being trained as a potential future Gatekeeper.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fermun posted:

Until one of the more recent books, I always thought that Harry was being trained as a potential future Gatekeeper.

By the end of the series, Harry will be the Winter Knight, the Gatekeeper, the Blackstaff, have the use of soulfire, have Demonsreach at his disposal, get the ex-Denarian living in his head back, know the secrets of Kemmler, and be Starborn.

Plus whatever the hell else Butcher comes up with in the meantime.

Power creep is one of the problems with this series.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
You mean just like every other soft fantasy series?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Super.Jesus posted:

You mean just like every other soft fantasy series?

Yes but this one owns ok :colbert:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ramadu posted:

Yes but this one owns ok :colbert:

Give Butcher credit too, it's not like all this "powering up" hasn't come with a price tag pretty much every time. I mean, does anybody think being the Winter Knight isn't far more hindrance than help as far as Harry is concerned? His enemies certainly seem to keep up with his power level, or else started and have stayed way over his power level. Also doesn't hurt a lot of his victories tend to be painful if not downright pyrrhic (occasionally literally, as his hand can attest). If you're gonna do power creep, this is probably the way to do it. Assuming it really is power creep, considering one of his deadliest enemies in the last book was the pretty much unpowered guy throwing bombs and pixies at him.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Arcsech posted:

By the end of the series, Harry will be the Winter Knight, the Gatekeeper, the Blackstaff, have the use of soulfire, have Demonsreach at his disposal, get the ex-Denarian living in his head back, know the secrets of Kemmler, and be Starborn.

I expected the Dresden Files to end with Harry dying , but, well, you know.

..Yeah, but I do expect the Dresden that's reading the files to be Maggie because I really don't see Harry being a part of her life, except maybe in a Darth Vader kind of way.

[edit]
HAH! OH GOD IT WOULD TOTALLY WORK!
"The council never told you what happened to your mother?"
"They told me enough, they told me you killed her!"

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 23, 2014

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
"Well, yeah, but from a certain point of view..."

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Arcsech posted:

I am also thinking that harry will be the original merlin thanks to time travel, or at the very least meet the guy

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
My biggest problem with most of the assumptions people are making about the Merlin knowing what's up with Maggie and Dresden going to rescue her is how explicitly it's pointed out that Harry needs to keep this as secret as possible from him. Also the fact that the Merlin would bust a vessel if he knew about the grey council, the entire REASON there is a grey council is to act without the Merlin or the vast majority of the White council knowing what's up.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

Also doesn't hurt a lot of his victories tend to be painful if not downright pyrrhic (occasionally literally, as his hand can attest).

:confused: Pyrrhic victories come from King Pyrrhus, who fought two battles against Rome and though outnumbered, he won and inflicted more casualties than he took, but lost all of his friends and generals and quite a few soldiers. Rome wound up having more volunteers to their legions upon hearing of the defeats than the number of casualties they received, and as a result, Pyrrhus's victories cost him the war. It's not a pyric victory, it's Pyrrhic.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

fermun posted:

:confused: Pyrrhic victories come from King Pyrrhus, who fought two battles against Rome and though outnumbered, he won and inflicted more casualties than he took, but lost all of his friends and generals and quite a few soldiers. Rome wound up having more volunteers to their legions upon hearing of the defeats than the number of casualties they received, and as a result, Pyrrhus's victories cost him the war. It's not a pyric victory, it's Pyrrhic.

:thejoke:

Pyrrhic.
Pyric.
Pyre...
Burnt Hand.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Come to think of it, how many people do you suppose know about the existence of the Blackstaff position? Pretty hard to see someone like Morgan tolerating it, especially from someone he probably worked with fairly often.

EDIT:

Conversely, if Morgan and Luccio didn't know about Ebenezar's real job the Council ran the risk of them finding out on their own. With predictable and likely spectacular results. See the whole "Would probably reflexively decapitate themselves" comment.

Donraj fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 23, 2014

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I've just started a re-read of the series starting with Grave Peril, and the masquerade ball scene at the end make me wonder if Ferrofax will ever make another appearance.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Captain_Person posted:

I've just started a re-read of the series starting with Grave Peril, and the masquerade ball scene at the end make me wonder if Ferrofax will ever make another appearance.

Butcher has stated he will be back in time for the finale trilogy.

And also that he's super badass and on the short list of things that could take Mab.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Donraj posted:

Butcher has stated he will be back in time for the finale trilogy.

And also that he's super badass and on the short list of things that could take Mab.

I wonder if the name is an indicator of him going against faeries? Ferro = iron?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

WastedJoker posted:

I wonder if the name is an indicator of him going against faeries? Ferro = iron?

I remember reading that he's implied to be some character from the Codex Alera books, but I haven't read them.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Donraj posted:

Come to think of it, how many people do you suppose know about the existence of the Blackstaff position? Pretty hard to see someone like Morgan tolerating it, especially from someone he probably worked with fairly often.
My guess would be selected members of the senior council. From what we know about the guy, I can see the Merlin & Co agreeing to keep this sort of stuff away from Gregori.
And unless whoever holds the position of Blackstaff is really good about covering his tracks, the head of the Wardens is probably at the very least aware that the White Council occasionally sanctions the use of black magic.

Changes spoilers

DJ_Ferret posted:

My biggest problem with most of the assumptions people are making about the Merlin knowing what's up with Maggie and Dresden going to rescue her is how explicitly it's pointed out that Harry needs to keep this as secret as possible from him.
For the whole Merlin-entropy-cursed-the-red-court thing to work, the Merlin doesn't need to know that Maggie is Dresden's kid.
The entropy curse changes probability so that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. Is there a chance the brakes in your car won't work and you'll die in a car accident? Well, then they will break. Is there a chance a frozen turkey falls from a plane and lands on your head? Well, then it will fall on your head.

All the Merlin would have to do after putting the bad luck curse on the Red Court, is put the Red Court in a situation where something can go horribly wrong for them. Remember that Harry stampeded into White Council HQ when Arianna was over there for "peace talks" and openly challenged her. The Merlin knows Harry already hates the Red Court and that he now has a personal bone to pick with Arianna. The Merlin also knows that Harry is a human wrecking ball (which really is the whole joke behind this theory), which makes him a good choice to be the situation that goes horribly wrong.
All he'd have to is point Harry at the Red Court by saying "Don't go after the Red Court" and sit back and watch what happens.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Raygereio posted:

My guess would be selected members of the senior council. From what we know about the guy, I can see the Merlin & Co agreeing to keep this sort of stuff away from Gregori.
And unless whoever holds the position of Blackstaff is really good about covering his tracks, the head of the Wardens is probably at the very least aware that the White Council occasionally sanctions the use of black magic.

Changes spoilers

For the whole Merlin-entropy-cursed-the-red-court thing to work, the Merlin doesn't need to know that Maggie is Dresden's kid.
The entropy curse changes probability so that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. Is there a chance the brakes in your car won't work and you'll die in a car accident? Well, then they will break. Is there a chance a frozen turkey falls from a plane and lands on your head? Well, then it will fall on your head.

All the Merlin would have to do after putting the bad luck curse on the Red Court, is put the Red Court in a situation where something can go horribly wrong for them. Remember that Harry stampeded into White Council HQ when Arianna was over there for "peace talks" and openly challenged her. The Merlin knows Harry already hates the Red Court and that he now has a personal bone to pick with Arianna. The Merlin also knows that Harry is a human wrecking ball (which really is the whole joke behind this theory), which makes him a good choice to be the situation that goes horribly wrong.
All he'd have to is point Harry at the Red Court by saying "Don't go after the Red Court" and sit back and watch what happens.

As Harry said before. You don't need a lot of power to defeat a more powerful enemy.

You just jog his arm when he's messing with supernatural high explosives.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Captain_Person posted:

Sup starting-on-Grave-Peril reread buddy! I'm already finished Summer Knight after three days :v:

I'm realising there is all sorts of poo poo I don't remember. Specifically, I totally forgot that Harry met the Mothers before Cold Days.

Also I'm running into random dumb jokes I forgot about as well. "I caught it, stuck my tongue out at Aurora, yelled "Meep meep!" and ran like hell."

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Wife Update: (Changes Spoilers)

She's reading through changes, about 2/3s of the way through, Harry just became winter knight and is running from the Eebs through the FBI building. Every now and then she pulls out some theory and I just have to sit there with my best poker face while the whole time I'm thinking "that's so cute!" :allears:

Her latest theory: "I'm thinking Harry gets out of this whole Winter Knight thing through some clever trickery. I mean that's his whole thing right? And he can't let Mab control him like that..."

She didn't have as much of a reaction to the office/house/car being destroyed as I thought she would, but she laughed in the beginning when they raid the Red Court offices.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

treeboy posted:

Wife Update: (Changes Spoilers)

She's reading through changes, about 2/3s of the way through, Harry just became winter knight and is running from the Eebs through the FBI building. Every now and then she pulls out some theory and I just have to sit there with my best poker face while the whole time I'm thinking "that's so cute!" :allears:

Her latest theory: "I'm thinking Harry gets out of this whole Winter Knight thing through some clever trickery. I mean that's his whole thing right? And he can't let Mab control him like that..."

I'm imagining this was your reaction:

(Or, perhaps, her reaction if you remind her of her theory after she finishes the book.)

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 23, 2014

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Arcsech posted:

I actually feel that compared to other long series within the genre Butcher has done an excellent job of avoiding the creep. With Harry's first significant power creep 6 or 7 books in, aside from hellfire most of Lash's help came in the form of information and tactics rather than a direct power buff. Even when Harry gained Soulfire it was more of a horizontal shift since it filled the hole left by lash's death (not to mention it hasn't really been explored much).

The recent Winter Knight stuff is obviously a major power up, but I'm okay with that since Changes (along with being a fulcrum point for the entire series) cost Harry so much. I consider Cold Days creep as Harry learning to use the mantle rather than an independant power up.

If you want to see what bad power creep is like compare the early Anita Blake novels with the recent ones. :negative:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The Winter Knight abilities is a very restricted power gain. Not only does getting stabbed with iron cause him lose power rapidly, but betraying the Winter Law (which he barely understands) can instantly paralyze him. Harry's real increase in power has come more from knowledge and having badass allies/friends. As it should be.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

If you want to see what bad power creep is like compare the early Anita Blake novels with the recent ones. :negative:

Anita doesn't have a vagina, just a bag she can pull godlike powers out of at need.

What I find interesting with the power creep is that his enemies haven't significantly changed. The outsiders/fae/denarians/vampires have been there from the early novels. I really can't articulate why, but its satisfying somehow to have the antagonists evolve and change tactics overtime rather than introducing a new, more powerful enemy every book.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 23, 2014

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Dienes posted:

Anita doesn't have a vagina, just a bag she can pull godlike powers out of at need.

What I find interesting with the power creep is that his enemies haven't significantly changed. The outsiders/fae/denarians/fampires have been there from the early novels. I really can't articulate why, but its satisfying somehow to have the antagonists evolve and change tactics overtime rather than introducing a new, more powerful enemy every book.

It's building the character of the antagonists, they have motivations, personalities and flaws. Introducing new villians is a great way to shake things up, but it also runs head long into the Dragonball Z issues of power creep, where eventually the only challenge to the protagonists is something that can casually anihilate the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dienes posted:

What I find interesting with the power creep is that his enemies haven't significantly changed. The outsiders/fae/denarians/fampires have been there from the early novels. I really can't articulate why, but its satisfying somehow to have the antagonists evolve and change tactics overtime rather than introducing a new, more powerful enemy every book.

This is very true. And I must say I enjoy the series very much, and it has done a good job of balancing power creep with cost for that power and keeping the antagonists fairly constant helps - Butcher did a good job with making them ridiculously powerful from the start. I think it's more satisfying because they've had the time to be built up as actual characters with proper personalities rather than New Villain #47, and even when he beats them it's usually more along the lines of winning a battle, not putting them down for good.

But it does feel a bit ridiculous at times, even so.

• Locked thread