Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

or they'll just show a baby boomer getting up really early to do something rural. Something, ironically, you could probably do in almost any car on the road today.

But I have these hay bales! They need to be transferred from the place where the bales are to some animals in a pen! No a four wheeler and a trailer won't do, these are hay bales! They need to go from over here, by the barn, to over there, by the animals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Xguard86 posted:

Toyota also started building full sized trucks that appealed to the US market and the American manufactures knew how that story ends and started updating. At least Ford seems to be doing that, IDK about GM and Dodge they're still kind of riding the 'murica' wave. That Chevy lost calf video makes me rage out because they do not say a goddamn thing about the truck and its all clearly pandering.

I dunno. I think Dodge stepped up their game pretty well with all those storage compartments and the coil springs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm getting sick of the F150 Dennis Leary commercials.

If you're a REAL MAN that WORKS you need a F150 or you're a human being.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I fully expect some "but aluminum is fragile"

Isn't damage to aluminum really expensive and hard to fix? Door dings from parking lot excursions are going to make insurance rates on these things skyrocket. Not to mention any damage done by the 17 people that actually use pickups for pickup truck things.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Some alloys of aluminum are pretty dent-resistant, for example the types of alloys that aluminum bicycle frames are made from. The common door ding might not even leave a dent, though of course they could still chip the paint.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
By switching from steel to aluminum they also lose enough weight to increase thickness, which will help counter that by quite a bit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Would the people that use pickups for pickup things be in any rush to get dings fixed anyway? Not like it's going to rust.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Would the people that use pickups for pickup things be in any rush to get dings fixed anyway? Not like it's going to rust.

I think that last bit will be a big selling point.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So now Ford rivals the DoD as one of the largest single users of aluminum in the world. :911:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Seriously?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

leica posted:

I'm getting sick of the F150 Dennis Leary commercials.

If you're a REAL MAN that WORKS you need a F150 or you're a human being.

I don't like them much either but at least he's screaming actual information at you and they pitch "smart people made this" which I find much more palpable than draping a flag over the thing and calling it a day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nodoze posted:

I loved the idea of getting a Z3, but it ended there. Theres just no reason to ever buy one over a Miata or S2000 other than "it's a BMW and I want a BMW." You can spend a lot less and get a better car you can do a lot more to, is dead reliable and easy as dirt to maintain, or around the same to slightly more for a much better car that's dead reliable, easy as dirt to maintain, and that you can also do a lot more to. I don't think the Z3 is particularly great looking either, and the plastic rear window is gross.

Well, all is forgiven about the Z3 when you consider how awesome the Z3M Coupes and roadsters are.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

DropShadow posted:

If your mom doesn't like "sitting down" into a car, she won't like the X1. It's not a high-riding CUV by any means, it's a hatchback disguised as one.

Thanks for the input. Didn't help any as she is getting the X1 that is on it's way from Germany to the dealership. I don't know if she's even driven one.

My dad didn't get another X5. He got a used Evoque instead.

They aren't very practical sometimes.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

Well, all is forgiven about the Z3 when you consider how awesome the Z3M Coupes and roadsters are.

Isn't the Z3 the worst culprit for the subframe tearing issue that a lot of E36 vehicles suffer?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah, it's just another reason you'd never really want to own a Z3 that isn't an M Coupe/roadster.

But on the other hand, most Z3's don't make enough power and aren't driven nearly as hard so maybe it's not that big of a deal. My M Coupe didn't have any trouble with it by the time I sold it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AdmiralViscen posted:

What are you basing this on? Cadillac is competing more directly (and successfully) with BMW than ever with the ATS and CTS. They are also working on a real fullsize RWD flagship on a unique platform to compete with the 7 series.

Features wise and all the ATS is pretty competitive and it's definitely getting new bodies in to Cadillac showrooms, which is great, but uh definitely do not look at average days supply on that vehicle. GM kinda maybe misread the market a bit.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Features wise and all the ATS is pretty competitive and it's definitely getting new bodies in to Cadillac showrooms, which is great, but uh definitely do not look at average days supply on that vehicle. GM kinda maybe misread the market a bit.

I was responding to someone who was nt talking aout sales, but about Cadillac targeting Acura rather than the major German brands. That's not the case.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What's the damage? I'm not sure where to find those numbers.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
After the newest chassis breakdown and details on the new transmission I'm pretty solid on the z06 at this point.

(Not sure if they were posted already: http://m.autoblog.com/photos/id/161..._inline_gal_art and http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089778_gm-8-speed-in-corvette-z06-shifts-faster-than-porsche-pdk-heres-how)

I'm considering putting in a preorder on an auto; does anyone know if the transmission itself is used in any other vehicles and if it's actually any good? I know the press lines about are positive but even if Juechter's stuff is true I'm hesitant to go feet first.

While I don't mind going with the manual instead, I don't really care for manuals in properly powerful cars, particularly ones that will be used for DD. I have heard all previous Corvette automatics have basically been 80s-tech wrecks that are better at converting happiness into sad than torque into acceleration so I'm not going to put any money down until I know the actual story. However, apparently the CTS-V was faster around a track with its auto than its manual, and if I'm getting a no-respect car like a Corvette I'd like to have performance in mind.

Spades fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 21, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Spades posted:

After the newest chassis breakdown and details on the new transmission I'm pretty solid on the z06 at this point.

(Not sure if they were posted already: http://m.autoblog.com/photos/id/161..._inline_gal_art and http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089778_gm-8-speed-in-corvette-z06-shifts-faster-than-porsche-pdk-heres-how)

I'm considering putting in a preorder on an auto; does anyone know if the transmission itself is used in any other vehicles and if it's actually any good? I know the press lines about are positive but even if Juechter's stuff is true I'm hesitant to go feet first.

While I don't mind going with the manual instead, I don't really care for manuals in properly powerful cars, particularly ones that will be used for DD. I have heard all previous Corvette automatics have basically been 80s-tech wrecks that are better at converting happiness into sad than torque into acceleration so I'm not going to put any money down until I know the actual story. However, apparently the CTS-V was faster around a track with its auto than its manual, and if I'm getting a no-respect car like a Corvette I'd like to have performance in mind.

It's not used in any other vehicles, or any vehicles right now since the Z06 is still 2 years away. Eventually it will probably go into the trucks. The CTS V-sport transmission is actually the Toyota 8 speed from the Lexus LS/ISF because this GM one wasn't ready/didn't fit in the car.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Is it wrong to want an aluminum bodied F-150 with a GM Gen IV based v8? Also with all the talk over door dings, etc. maybe its time to revisit Saturn's idea of plastic body panels for work trucks.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Like the honda element, make whole body panels out of that rubbermaid stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cream_Filling posted:

They should team with Rubbermaid for a production car.

The F-150 Rubbermaid Edition.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cream_Filling posted:

Please no.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does the Avalanche or Prius have a higher ratio douchebag drivers? 9 times out of 10 when I have an rear end in a top hat brotruck on my rear end its a loving Chevrolet Avalanche.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/motortrend/status/425659120356556800

Ideas?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
mazda something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New MX-5?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rhyno posted:

New MX-5?

In the response stream you can see someone already guessed that and the response was "Bigger. Much bigger."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/im-100-certain-its-the-wienermobile-1505862919

:geno:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well, what cars do we know were going to be released around this time? The only one that's come up for me is that Lincoln may possibly be putting out a refreshed Navigator soon, but that's probably not it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Throatwarbler posted:

Well, what cars do we know were going to be released around this time? The only one that's come up for me is that Lincoln may possibly be putting out a refreshed Navigator soon, but that's probably not it.

Check out the link above. It's the new Weinermobile.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

It's probably best we don't discuss the new navigator this close to supper time, people may be eating.

Official debut is tomorrow.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

It's probably best we don't discuss the new navigator this close to supper time, people may be eating.

:stonk: Well that sure is a thing. Are we to suppose that the new Expedition will also be unveiled around the same time? Hopefully it won't be styled quite so aggressively.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Welp, so much for any excitement about this whatsoever.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
looks like some sort of Cylon craft. :psylon:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ford press release says the 3.5l TT engine will be in it. I'm surprised the 6.2l isn't going in too. Interior will be new as well.

I'm kind of curious why the Navigator never sold as well as the Escalade. On paper I think it tows more, has IRS, and was cheaper too. Is it just the styling? My main reservation about the current Navigator is that the greenhouse seems comically oversized compared to most other vehicles. Probably helps visibility though.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

Ford press release says the 3.5l TT engine will be in it. I'm surprised the 6.2l isn't going in too. Interior will be new as well.

I'm kind of curious why the Navigator never sold as well as the Escalade. On paper I think it tows more, has IRS, and was cheaper too. Is it just the styling? My main reservation about the current Navigator is that the greenhouse seems comically oversized compared to most other vehicles. Probably helps visibility though.

"Oh look a Ford rebadge."

"OOH CADILLAC!"

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

So they are killing of Lincoln after all. Look at that front end, I bet if you honk the horn you hear a slightly slurred voice asking to be 'told about the rabbits again.'

e: I think the Escalade took off while the Navigator floundered because the former had better exposure in music videos, I don't remember the exact story but it could have gone either way if I have it right.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought about it a bit more and it occurred to me that the Ford 5.4l is down 100hp vs GM's 6.2l, so that probably has something to do with it too. The 6.2l Raptor/Harley Davidson engine should have been in the Navigator yesterday.