Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MetaJew posted:

I found that really boring. No tires squealing, no smoke, short shifting, raspy exhaust note. Bleh.

Edit: granted I didn't watch all of it, but most of it seemed really tame.

It sounds terrible. The outgoing car, for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htD5Ts1z1rQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pham Nuwen posted:

I hate people who talk about zombies more than I hate stick families, so... yaaaaaaaaay.

Boy howdy do I have something for you, then!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Is there any way to plumb in an oil filter, or would that be a huge undertaking and not worth it?

This question might betray my ignorance.

Absolutely possible. If, in 1962, you decided you want your new car to have an oil filter, they would have done exactly that--grabbed a filter, threaded the inlet and outlet onto the block, and bolted it on. It was a partial flow filter, so IIRC you basically counted on the oil pressure to force some of the oil through.

I think they started offering full-flow (modern type) systems very shortly thereafter, for the few remaining years of Studebaker's existence.

As a final note in this derail, if any of you see a Studebaker Avanti for sale, loving PM me.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 22, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't speak for Studebakers specifically, but on many ancient engines it's possible to drill a hole perpendicular into an oil passage in the block, block off the usual route and bypass it with threaded fittings leading into pressure lines, which in turn lead to a remote mounted oil filter.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Slavvy posted:

I can't speak for Studebakers specifically, but on many ancient engines it's possible to drill a hole perpendicular into an oil passage in the block, block off the usual route and bypass it with threaded fittings leading into pressure lines, which in turn lead to a remote mounted oil filter.

Also a common way to add a remote oil cooler if sandwich adapters are not available, etc. Air cooled motorcycles are often done this way to add oil coolers, and power steering pumps are tapped like this for hydraulic-assist steering on offroad vehicles.

:science:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I once swapped a last-get M30 into an e24 6 series and found that the e34 cartridge filter went right where the ABS unit is on the e24. So I had two alloy plates with two threaded fittings welded to each of them made up. Bolted one where the oil filter housing normally goes, and bolted the other one to the rear end end of the oil filter housing. Then plumbed an oil cooler in between because why not?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Das Volk posted:

It sounds terrible. The outgoing car, for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htD5Ts1z1rQ

It sounds terrible and it looks like a riced out E92 M3. :barf:

edit: The new M3, I mean.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 22, 2014

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

BlackMK4 posted:

It sounds terrible and it looks like a riced out E92 M3. :barf:

Little off topic here but... What the HELL is up with that dashboard? Two arches looks absolutely horrendous..

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Link

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I guess I'll go ahead and open that can of worms. Why didn't he just clutch in and turn it off? I understand the argument that non-car-people don't think about such things, but there's no way that a person who built his own goddamn street-rod isn't mechanically minded.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Honestly looks like they got real lucky given the damage/area.

Also that car is hideous IMO.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chinatown posted:

Honestly looks like they got real lucky given the damage/area.

Still ran over a dude. I would imagine it would really hurt being run over by something that low, when the front of it is all belts and chrome.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
9 billion dollars says that the guy who owns that car is not the guy who built that car.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Raluek posted:

I guess I'll go ahead and open that can of worms. Why didn't he just clutch in and turn it off? I understand the argument that non-car-people don't think about such things, but there's no way that a person who built his own goddamn street-rod isn't mechanically minded.

Seeing as how he was indoors he probably didn't have more than 20' to react. I'm guessing that car at WOT can cover that distance faster than anyone can react.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
I'd also guess it's likely an automatic.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

I see I've been beaten to this but here's my take:

Most hot-rods like that tend to have automatic transmissions and regular unassisted drum brakes, making catching a runaway like that a bit more difficult, especially factoring in reaction times and the short distance they had to stop anyway.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PromethiumX posted:

Seeing as how he was indoors he probably didn't have more than 20' to react. I'm guessing that car at WOT can cover that distance faster than anyone can react.

I agree, but the only time you'd be going WOT indoors to begin with is when you're showing off with the clutch already in, or just beginning to slip it. But I guess if you don't regularly drive it you might not be used to how things "usually" feel and sound, so he might not have realized what was going on until too late. Doesn't look like that car gets driven much.

E:

Terrible Robot posted:

I see I've been beaten to this but here's my take:

Most hot-rods like that tend to have automatic transmissions and regular unassisted drum brakes, making catching a runaway like that a bit more difficult, especially factoring in reaction times and the short distance they had to stop anyway.

Do they? All the shows I've been to (which isn't many, and is usually muscle cars rather than street rods) seem to have an overwhelming amount of stickshifts, and it seems to be because they want to be able to blip the throttle a bunch while travelling at 5mph.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

Show but one of the contenders was approaching the viewing area to be judged when his throttle stuck, running over GNRS judging chairman Vic Cunnyngham

So, i'm guessing he's not gonna win.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You might say that car made quite an impression on the judge but I don't think he will, no.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If this were a Batman comic, it would have been a dastardly plan caused by the Ridler. :v:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If this were a Batman comic, it would have been a dastardly plan caused by the Ridler. :v:

:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Das Volk posted:

It sounds terrible.

Agreed. I love good straight-six, but that M4 ain't it. All sorts of disconcerting raspy, farty noises coming out of it. Definitely still needs some exhaust tuning. How does something like that get past the superior German auditory experience engineers?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I've always thought that BMW goes way overboard regarding muffling the exhaust of their vehicles. Are European car noise laws very strict given the more cramped nature of cities or something?

I took off both resonators on my e46 and kept the stock muffler on and its now its really what it should have been stock IMO. (compared to say a stock musting gt loudness)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Why do you even need exhaust noise? They pipe it in via speakers anyway - might as well just record something nice sounding and fool your customers into dropping bank.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pham Nuwen posted:

Absolutely possible. If, in 1962, you decided you want your new car to have an oil filter, they would have done exactly that--grabbed a filter, threaded the inlet and outlet onto the block, and bolted it on. It was a partial flow filter, so IIRC you basically counted on the oil pressure to force some of the oil through.

I think they started offering full-flow (modern type) systems very shortly thereafter, for the few remaining years of Studebaker's existence.

As a final note in this derail, if any of you see a Studebaker Avanti for sale, loving PM me.

I assume you want a Studebaker and not an Avanti II eh? http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4298807598.html

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

My cousin just sent me this gem he saw in his condo parking lot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Genius. I can't for the life of me figure out what he's doing, though. Separating a ball-joint?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Runnin' slicks I see. Very nice.

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

I don't know what he's doing, my cousin didn't ask.

Dakotaboy88 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 23, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

In the handicap spot no less. gently caress those cripples I'm fixin to put these swangas on here.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
He might be trying to make room for his giant wheel to fit. I dont think it will work.

Also lollin' at 4 out of 5 lugs.

At least he is staying marginally safe, standing way off the the side.

edit: does that other car have bigger wheels? all hell naw

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 23, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Rolling his fender?

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

SanitysEdge posted:

He might be trying to make room for his giant wheel to fit. I dont think it will work.

Also lollin' at 4 out of 5 lugs.

At least he is staying marginally safe, standing way off the the side.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

In the handicap spot no less. gently caress those cripples I'm fixin to put these swangas on here.

Good lord, it just gets better the more you look at it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Uthor posted:

Rolling his fender?

I don't think there's any possible way you could roll your arches with a jack.
It looks like he's pushing the spring up but I don't know why you would.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
It kind of looks like he is trying to deform the lower spring mount that is built into the strut ... it also kind of looks like it may have been rubbing the inside of the tire. Otherwise maybe spring compressor?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Plot twist:

He actually understands geometry and is pushing the hub downward to insert a shim somewhere to correct the negative camber that made his tire look like that.

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Plot twist:

He actually understands geometry and is pushing the hub downward to insert a shim somewhere to correct the negative camber that made his tire look like that.

gently caress, who knows. Looking at the rest of it, I doubt he knows much about geometry.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Also, my own terrible car decisions, or terrible financial decision: Trading in my cr-z for a new STi. I miss the turbo.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Seems like a pretty legit trade to me. Don't feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Also, my own terrible car decisions, or terrible financial decision: Trading in my cr-z for a new STi. I miss the turbo.

I didn't know that the CR-Z came with turbo. Did you do an upgrade?