Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mortimer posted:

Skyrims combat is better than morrowinds but that isn't saying much. Compared with every other game it's balls (try the Witcher 2 then Skyrim again like I did, it'll make you sad).

As long as you pick a class/race meant for what you're going to do you shouldn't have problems in morrowind.

I hated Witcher 2's combat because it completely abandoned any pretense that the game was an RPG. Strangely, I hated Oblivion's combat for the same reason.

By the time Skyrim rolled around, I'd kinda just given into the fact that it was an action-adventure series now, but the Witcher's controls on PC were just plain offensive, so I gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's a learning experience. Morrowind, especially when compared with the combat systems of Skyrim and Oblivion (hit when you swing) can be immensely frustrating. "Wait, my super long Daedric dai-katana just went through this mudcrab and I didn't kill it? No damage?"

To be honest, the only thing Oblivion and Skyrim really did with the combat was trading the possibility of missing (which is only a minor inconvenience for the first couple of hours in Morrowind) with having awful bulletsponge enemies that take forever to kill.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Maybe I'm a masochist, but sometimes I wish more modern games had combat similar to that of Morrowind; where, instead of just mindlessly clicking on an enemy with the unchanging result of doing damage, no matter the weapon, you'd have to consider not just your skill with a weapon, but also the possibility that one technique will not insure success every time.

Also the fact that a person can very possibly move out of the way of the weapon you don't know how to use (which Morrowind does put into consideration in a very low-tech way, with the Unarmored skill and Luck).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've said this in various forms to internet nerds the past few years, but basically what Morrowind does right in an RPG sense is the separation from player-skill and character-skill. In a game like an FPS your character can't do anything, it is all player skill. Conversely in table-top games all you the player can do is decide what is done, your character's skill (and luck) determine the outcome. People who like Skyrim combat prefer the slider to the left, where the player's skill in kiting enemies around obstacles and timing blows determines a large part of the battle's outcome. Slightly more to the right is Morrowind, where even if you the player can click an enemy, if your character isn't good enough him/herself to land the blow, then it misses.

Magic works the same way, in Skyrim you have no spell failure, in Morrowind spell failure scales with character's skill.

In Skyrim if you're good at the lockpicking minigame (or savescum) you can pick any lock. In Morrowind there are many locks your character can't get through with low skill.

I don't mind Morrowind combat, but I can see why people don't like it. The only bad thing you can say is that the combat doesn't work, because it definitely does what they intended it to do. Not only that, it did it in a balanced way that minimizes player-abuse and prevents low level characters from doing what level one characters in Skyrim do (everything). Finally getting your agility/weapon skill to the point you hit 90%+ of the time is an amazing feeling.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Musical_Daredevil posted:

It depends on whether you prefer a more RPG-like experience than epic swordfighting, amongst other things. As I mention in the second post of the OP, Morrowind is much more based on character crafting than later Elder Scrolls games and you'll need to carefully build your stats. I personally still play Morrowind after installing Skyrim and I don't think I'm alone in that. It all comes down to personal preference.

I've played Morrowind before and I should have said so in my post. I just mean to say after such a long hiatus and having played Skyrim is it going to be disruptively jarring?
Right off the bat the graphics felt old as balls. I'm running a steam version of the game, will any mods be added the same as before?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bobthedinosaur posted:

I'm running a steam version of the game, will any mods be added the same as before?

Yep, same as it ever was.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Didn't Oblivion combat actually still have a dice-roll like Morrowind did, only instead of "miss" it just registered as "1HP"? I might be misremembering this, but I'm almost certain it's the case, and waving your sword around for a while at an enemy definitely shows that there's a disparity in the amount of damage you do each time that becomes a lot more apparent as you level up (not quite as noticeable at lower levels because 1HP is still a significant fraction of most NPCs' health).

Basically, Oblivion combat was godawful not only because of the rise of hitsponge enemies, but because you were still effectively fighting them Morrowind style with the illusion of landing hits every time.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yes, your skills affected your dice rolls for damage. But a big issue for that was that it didn't matter for enchantments, which were the things that broke weapons wide open. So a sword that does 20 fire damage will ALWAYS do at least 20 damage regardless of your roll, because you're guaranteed a hit.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, got Multimark, Uviriths Legacy, Depth Perception, Rise of House Telvanni, then MGSO/Tamriel Rebuilt. Feel like I'm missing some stuff. I mainly plan on going a Battlemage, then doing Guard/Fighters/Mages/Telvanni/Hlaalu if that bug is still in place. Also maybe this will be the game I finally join the Temple/Cult, although I really doubt that.

I just remember there being a few more things like multimark/depth perception I used to install, but I can't remember them. OP is a bit basic, so curious if anybody might have any ideas.

e: Is there a way to get rid of this fps counter. Outside of that, holy poo poo this game is gorgeous again. I was never really against the old style, but this, man I want to explore everything again just to see how pretty it is. They removed my canon face, everyone looks a bit creepier, and everything's got this blur to it, but outside of that, whoa.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 24, 2014

Stereo Shark
Jul 19, 2012

Rookersh posted:

e: Is there a way to get rid of this fps counter.
Should be an option somewhere in MGEXE.

Rookersh posted:

They removed my canon face, everyone looks a bit creepier, and everything's got this blur to it, but outside of that, whoa.
Assuming the blur you're talking about is Depth of Field, you can also disable that by editing the active shaders in MGEXE.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Rookersh posted:

I just remember there being a few more things like multimark/depth perception I used to install, but I can't remember them. OP is a bit basic, so curious if anybody might have any ideas.

Tireless running, book rotate and fair magic regen come to mind.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Stereo Shark posted:

Should be an option somewhere in MGEXE.

Assuming the blur you're talking about is Depth of Field, you can also disable that by editing the active shaders in MGEXE.

MDEXE? I used the MGSO installer. I don't remember getting asked about FPS counters or depth of field. How exactly do I fix these from that?

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Tireless running, book rotate and fair magic regen come to mind.

That's what it was, magic regen and better int scaling. I'd have figured it out eventually, but this'll make me less confused upfront, thanks!

Stereo Shark
Jul 19, 2012

Rookersh posted:

MDEXE? I used the MGSO installer. I don't remember getting asked about FPS counters or depth of field. How exactly do I fix these from that?

Morrowind Graphics Extender XE is part of MGSO. Some of its settings can be changed through MGSO, but apparently not all of them. Normally there should be an executable called MGEXEgui.exe in your Morrowind installation folder. Executing that will allow you to tweak those and other things.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

HoboNews posted:

Maybe I'm a masochist, but sometimes I wish more modern games had combat similar to that of Morrowind; where, instead of just mindlessly clicking on an enemy with the unchanging result of doing damage, no matter the weapon, you'd have to consider not just your skill with a weapon, but also the possibility that one technique will not insure success every time.

Also the fact that a person can very possibly move out of the way of the weapon you don't know how to use (which Morrowind does put into consideration in a very low-tech way, with the Unarmored skill and Luck).

So you mean you want Morrowind with Dark Souls' melee combat?

Yeah that would be pretty awesome.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Rookersh posted:

That's what it was, magic regen and better int scaling. I'd have figured it out eventually, but this'll make me less confused upfront, thanks!

Get book rotate anyways, its really the most important of the three.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Are there any mods that address the whole endurance-HP relationship punishing late investment into endurance? The only one I can find is some huge race overhaul that adds a bunch of poo poo I really do not want but you can't take out of it (morrowindmods.txt).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Lobster posted:

Are there any mods that address the whole endurance-HP relationship punishing late investment into endurance? The only one I can find is some huge race overhaul that adds a bunch of poo poo I really do not want but you can't take out of it (morrowindmods.txt).

You should try Talvarian's State-Based Health Mod. It factors in Strength and Player Level (in addition to Endurance) in the health equation as an attempt to mitigate this problem.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You should try Talvarian's State-Based Health Mod. It factors in Strength and Player Level (in addition to Endurance) in the health equation as an attempt to mitigate this problem.

Aha! For some reason I only thought that was a bugfix for fortify health wearing off killing you. Thanks a ton!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Some screenshots (how do I turn off the HUD :confused: )

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think tm is "togglemenus" but (it's been a long time) I seem to recall that the HUD won't come back until you... do something? Maybe go through a door? Or load a save of course.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
It is TM (console command) and the caveat you're thinking of is the fact that it also hides the console, so you'll need to enter tm again blind (which isn't that hard) to get everything back. Edit: Never mind, looks like you need to hit the console button twice then enter a new cell. I swear it used to be entering it again, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 26, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Berke Negri posted:

Some screenshots (how do I turn off the HUD :confused: )

Can't see dick in your last two but MGSO?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My desktop monitor must by default be very bright I guess :downs:

But yeah, just MGSO. Draw distance set to 40. I get better views than Morroblivion, it's weird.

Also I finally just wrote a quick mod to change male bosmer to the same height as female bosmer. Sometimes I suspect Beth based it's entire direction with male bosmer just to pull off how annoying fargoth is.

I finally am trying out Morrowind Comes Alive but it seems unstable. It's nice adding all the random NPCs though, except when anime hair pops up. Wish they'd just release a version that let people use their own assets instead of the Westley crap.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Berke Negri posted:

My desktop monitor must by default be very bright I guess :downs:

But yeah, just MGSO. Draw distance set to 40. I get better views than Morroblivion, it's weird.

Also I finally just wrote a quick mod to change male bosmer to the same height as female bosmer. Sometimes I suspect Beth based it's entire direction with male bosmer just to pull off how annoying fargoth is.

I finally am trying out Morrowind Comes Alive but it seems unstable. It's nice adding all the random NPCs though, except when anime hair pops up. Wish they'd just release a version that let people use their own assets instead of the Westley crap.

The next version of MCA will not have that stuff. I personally like Starfire NPCS and Traveling Merchants, which is more than enough new NPCs.

MCA falls in that category of "good idea, bad execution" in regards to feature creep.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I wish someone made MCA/Starfire's for the newest TR. I was on the team during the Necrom release, and holy poo poo does that city feel barren. I expected NPC's to be added throughout the city, kinda like how Mecca has literally millions upon millions every day, but they went with the silent monastery vibe.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm not sure how often Musical_Daredevil updates the OP, but I think there's two mods that "modernize" the game wonderfully by adding modest magicka and health regen over time. They seem like musts for players used to more recent Elder Scrolls games. Fair Magicka Regen and Natural Healing.

I also wanted to add in that some of the links in the OP are broken. Since the Nexus changed its url for Elder Scrolls mods, any link with the old "tesnexus" address gets redirected to the main Nexus page.

Anyways, I have a request: is there any mod that makes the quest journal easier to use? I'm assuming not or else it would be popular, but I have to ask. The default implementation is terrible: it vomits up entries by time updated, gives incomplete directions, sorts by vague quest names, and gives no clear indication when a quest is fully completed. I'm constantly having to open the UESP to see where the heck I'm going, or where this random jobber I met 10 hours ago is. Is there anything out there that makes it a little more user friendly?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mizuti posted:

Anyways, I have a request: is there any mod that makes the quest journal easier to use? I'm assuming not or else it would be popular, but I have to ask. The default implementation is terrible: it vomits up entries by time updated, gives incomplete directions, sorts by vague quest names, and gives no clear indication when a quest is fully completed. I'm constantly having to open the UESP to see where the heck I'm going, or where this random jobber I met 10 hours ago is. Is there anything out there that makes it a little more user friendly?

The default implementation is fine. Only an extremely small fraction of directions are bad/wrong. A quest is fully complete when it is removed from your journal. If you're playing with the Tribunal expansion I have no idea where the complaint is. It's the newer TES games that make no sense. "Yeah here's the guy you want to talk to *fairy dust to put an arrow on his head*" Or, "Let me mark it on your map, because I am an expert in cartography and will never make mistakes".

If you want map markers just say that. And no that doesn't exist.

mbt fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 30, 2014

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I've rather shamefully never made much headway in Morrowind, despite recognizing it as the magnum opus of Bethesda.

I've been thinking about having another stab at it and the expansions recently, and I was wondering what mods you gentlemen would suggest for a first time run through? Ideally I want cosmetic stuff, people, places, things looking nicer, as well as more equipment (Can never go wrong with having more loot and a wider variety of gear to play dress up or stab monsters with) and anything that enhances or improves what's already there without changing things too much from a vanilla experience.

If it matters I was thinking of playing some sort of battle-mage, maybe light or medium armour with long blades and spells. Gonna go with Telvanni too because you guys have made them sound pretty awesome. :allears:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Had Morrowind GOTY on the original Xbox and played it to death, so I'm installing this on my computer now thanks to this thread.

I'm installing this on a bootcamp partition on my MBP and not really used to Windows. MGSO seems to be missing pretty much everything in every step, is this normal?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

TehGherkin posted:

I've rather shamefully never made much headway in Morrowind, despite recognizing it as the magnum opus of Bethesda.

I've been thinking about having another stab at it and the expansions recently, and I was wondering what mods you gentlemen would suggest for a first time run through? Ideally I want cosmetic stuff, people, places, things looking nicer, as well as more equipment (Can never go wrong with having more loot and a wider variety of gear to play dress up or stab monsters with) and anything that enhances or improves what's already there without changing things too much from a vanilla experience.

If it matters I was thinking of playing some sort of battle-mage, maybe light or medium armour with long blades and spells. Gonna go with Telvanni too because you guys have made them sound pretty awesome. :allears:

MGSO for a first run, it pretty much covers everything. Maybe something like "Passive Healthy Wildlife" to make cliffracers not hosed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

MGSO seems to be missing pretty much everything in every step, is this normal?

Missing everything?

Also leave cliff racers alone. If you make them into timid lizard birds you won't understand the "gently caress cliff racers" opinion (really they're not that bad).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
They really are that bad. They are drat near game ruining.

But I agree they should be experienced. Play with them for awhile, and then disable them.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

TehGherkin posted:

I'd recommend Tamriel Rebuilt and any mod that increases speed and gets rid of fatigue decreasing when you run. Other than that, play, find something you don't like, and download a mod to fix it!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Slugworth posted:

They really are that bad. They are drat near game ruining.

But I agree they should be experienced. Play with them for awhile, and then disable them.

Is this a joke? You don't see them enough for them to be game ruining. And they're not hard to kill other than their bad hitbox.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Looks like my 30 hour Telvanni play through is borked. Save just became too unstable. I think there may be something bigger wrong, I tried a new character and being around Vivec just crashes everytime. Guess I might just do a fresh reinstall and do everything from scratch.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If you're having cliff racer problems then clearly your max magnitude jump spell isn't good enough. Enjoy the cliff racers and ground peasants. :smug:

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
Any mods to make Mournhold less depressingly empty? I swear there's like 5 people in that entire city.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Docetic Mountain posted:

Any mods to make Mournhold less depressingly empty? I swear there's like 5 people in that entire city.

Morrowind Comes Alive adds a lot of randomly NPCs to all of the gameworld (including TR with the right add-on). I can't think of any else off the top of my head, but I'll keep thinking.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Docetic Mountain posted:

Starfire's NPC Additions creates a bunch of different character "classes" (i.e. Pilgrims, merchants, thieves, soldiers, etc.) and gives them various chances to randomly appear in cities, including Mournhold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm fully aware that quest map markers do not exist in Morrowind. I was thinking of features like extra sorting categories by faction or location, or giving some quests enhanced directions. (Some quests place the bulk of directions on NPC dialog and not the journal.) I doubt either exists, but I thought I might as well ask.