Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
GBS 2.0 is significantly less useful for finding out about current events, so I keep up with the news through political cartoons (and they're posted here earlier than where I used to check them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broken Loose posted:

GBS 2.0 is significantly less useful for finding out about current events, so I keep up with the news through political cartoons (and they're posted here earlier than where I used to check them).

Oh thank god I'm not the only one doing this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's no doubt in my mind that if Obama used the Trans Pacific Partnership to strong-arm Asia into banning finning Rall would be whining about how imperialist it is to say that it's wrong and it's their culture man.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

chairface posted:

The suspects who neither look nor dress anything like that at all.

Ayup.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He could always just switch to another issue - rainforest destruction, labor conditions, pollution... Unless Obama transforms the region into a literal Heaven on Earth, Rall will find something to criticize. And you know what, he would hate that Utopia too for being a bourgeois attempt to strip the proletariat of its class consciousness.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, you'd think that because it's what everyone else is angry about, so he had to find some other position before it got all popular and lame.

It's not just him. Maybe it's that I'm outside the US, but the environmental concerns - and in particular the lax stance on finning compared to earlier agreements - are literally the only aspects of the TPP deal I've seen anyone talk about. BBC Example.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Internet Webguy posted:

Nice try, but that's just an old drawing of John Edwards.

The gently caress does this even mean? A bad hair day is something that's unfortunate but only lasts a day, and it's placed on something labelled "McDonnell's legacy" which is permanent, so which is it? Has McDonnell managed to screw up his legacy, or is this a temporary thing that will pale in comparison to the rest of his work?

I've seen plenty of cartoons easy to AGC, but this is the first in a while where I can't even tell which side the author intended. It'd be a lot easier if you PUT IN SOME loving EFFORT, GORREL.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Eschers Basement posted:

The gently caress does this even mean? A bad hair day is something that's unfortunate but only lasts a day, and it's placed on something labelled "McDonnell's legacy" which is permanent, so which is it? Has McDonnell managed to screw up his legacy, or is this a temporary thing that will pale in comparison to the rest of his work?

I've seen plenty of cartoons easy to AGC, but this is the first in a while where I can't even tell which side the author intended. It'd be a lot easier if you PUT IN SOME loving EFFORT, GORREL.

"This evidence of McDonnell taking hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes will barely tarnish his legacy. Tune in tomorrow for BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI WORST PRESIDENT SCANDAL SCANDAL NIG-"

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rorus Raz posted:

A day or two after this thread went up, there was a front page post about it. I think that's brought in some new blood.

Well, open the blood gates!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

D.N. Nation posted:

Speaking of Chechens...

This was Rick McKee's response to the Boston bombing, after the suspects were ID'd.

Pay to the order of
RADICAL MUSLIM TERRORIST

(but still, gently caress McKee)

NRVNQSR posted:

It's not just him. Maybe it's that I'm outside the US, but the environmental concerns - and in particular the lax stance on finning compared to earlier agreements - are literally the only aspects of the TPP deal I've seen anyone talk about. BBC Example.

Literally history's biggest effort to establish Corporate Sovereignty in international law, and we're missing the forest for the sharks.

The cyberpunk future is finally almost here. Gotta brush up my wardrobe.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

Mark my words: the deal's gonna get tough on finning, and stupid liberals will claim victory as the rest of that giant piece of neoliberal poo poo gets passed.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
And a return of an old thread favorite joke...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

No they don't Ramirez shut up

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hey, he didn't say "credible, peer-reviewed studies". Just "studies".

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

JaggerMcDagger posted:

And a return of an old thread favorite joke...

:smithicide:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Is there a reason that Ramirez draws halos around all of his characters? I don't know anything about drawing or illustrating. I mean, I gather it is some kind of flaw in his technique, but I don't understand it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the era didn't get passed.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's to keep them from getting lost in the dark void that is everything else in his cartoons.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Swan Oat posted:

Is there a reason that Ramirez draws halos around all of his characters? I don't know anything about drawing or illustrating. I mean, I gather it is some kind of flaw in his technique, but I don't understand it.
He has no ability to use line weight to distinguish foreground from background, and his backgrounds are a crosshatched mess. The halo lets you actually see the characters, instead of playing 'Hidden Pictures'.

Which might be better, honestly. More fun, at least.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Look at those foreign and economic policies. What a bunch of clown policies.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

The funny thing is that even if marijuana does cause brain damage, that's also true of alcohol and nicotine (and even sugar for that matter), so Obama would still be correct.

Also holy poo poo his cursive/CAPITAL LETTERS thing is even more obnoxious than usual in that cartoon.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Even if pot does cause brain damage, how does that invalidate Obama's statement? Tobacco and alcohol aren't exactly benign in their effects on the body either.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Selachian posted:

Even if pot does cause brain damage, how does that invalidate Obama's statement? Tobacco and alcohol aren't exactly benign in their effects on the body either.

Uhh pot is beloved by hippies, famous for their devotion to soft-minded concepts as "stop with the warrin'" and "black people: maybe dealt a rough hand".

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
It never occurred to me until now that the way Ramirez writes a capital G is unacceptable. Just one more thing to add to the hate pile.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This is literally all I could see from that cartoon:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I know smoking pot can cause lung problems, but I don't think it's as bad as what nicotine cigarettes will do.

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay
It's just as dumb, but v:shobon:v

tifosibella fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 23, 2014

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

isildur posted:

He has no ability to use line weight to distinguish foreground from background, and his backgrounds are a crosshatched mess. The halo lets you actually see the characters, instead of playing 'Hidden Pictures'.

Which might be better, honestly. More fun, at least.

The occasional cartoon where he doesn't use the halo actually looks a lot better.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

A page ago, but I can't read this any other way than whitemansburden.jpg. Is there any other interpretation at all?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

I know smoking pot can cause lung problems, but I don't think it's as bad as what nicotine cigarettes will do.

I think this is because smoke in general is bad for the lungs, but the chemicals in cigarette smoke tends to also be directly harmful on top of that.

EDIT ^ Yeah I am pretty sure that's directly just a white man's burden comic.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

ikanreed posted:

A page ago, but I can't read this any other way than whitemansburden.jpg. Is there any other interpretation at all?

He's getting ready to toss it into a giant blender.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ikanreed posted:

The baby is also white, which gets me every time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

iraq will also be white if we bomb enough mulsim weddings

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Yes, yes, very clever.

Because Trojan Horses eat carrots? Or is Obama under the impression it's full of rabbits and he intends to use tasty carrots to lure them out?

Oh...well, deja vu. I guess.

Hey guys! That bird is really HIGH! Now where's my Pulitzer!?

The true origin of Slenderman.

Oh COME ON!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rorus Raz posted:

That baby clearly comes from the same part of the Middle East as White Jesus.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
This seems relevant. From the 2014 thread.

FMguru posted:

FL-18 - Allen West's old district - has a new contender. 77 year old Ilya Katz, a refugee from the Soviet Union (they're still around, right?) who worked as a full time "knight watchman". He's your basic colorful crank slash unmedicated schizophrenic, a staple of the field. What makes him stand out are his satirical cartoons, which are really only missing some inverted triangles and the word "purestrain" to send me all the way back to 2008.

His whole website is pretty amazing.

He publishes ten books a year through his own press, promising "Thousands Inlightening Aphorisms & Hundreds One of the Kind Cartoons", most in the vein of his carefully-argued anti-Debbie Wasserman-Schultz critique Debit Wacky Shmutz and SOSialism: Kingdom of Serfdom.

He's way not be the candidate Florida wants, but he's clearly the candidate Florida deserves.

All of this is via Wonkette.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Can someone explain why suddenly the Sochi olympics are TERROR CENTRAL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cabbit posted:

That baby clearly comes from the same part of the Middle East as White Jesus.

Uh, I think you mean blond hair blue eye Jesus. The true and only savior. Jesus wouldn't dare be a dirty brown sand nig muslim. :smug:

• Locked thread