Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

vaginal culture posted:

Well they had to get Neymar on anemia treatments the instant he signed despite him playing in the confederations cup perhaps they didn't fully take.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2384354/Barcelona-star-Neymar-undergoing-treatment-anaemia.html

OP, I don't mean to arouse suspicions but it's very strange to me that as soon as he arrived in Barcelona the doctors immediately found a blood disorder and had to get him on some "treatments", and some of these doctors are the same ones who were working on Guardiola when he failed a drug test. Normally this wouldn't really pop in my radar, but if you couple this with the Fuentes scandal where he accused Barca of having an extensive doping program...is it possible Neymar's problem wasn't an anemia, but something far more sordid? Food for thought, if you are so inclined. Anyway, I don't think it's possible he's benefiting of any performance enhancements since he has scored less goals than Gareth Bale in more matches and they cost about the same, definitely a bad deal so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

El Hefe posted:

Martino knows, he said he really wants to buy a proper striker, whether Rossell and co will let him is another matter.

And who would this striker replace?

I'd love to see your starting 11 with subs, including mystery striker.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Mean Bean Machine raising some very valid points.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Mean Bean Machine posted:

OP, I don't mean to arouse suspicions but it's very strange to me that as soon as he arrived in Barcelona the doctors immediately found a blood disorder and had to get him on some "treatments", and some of these doctors are the same ones who were working on Guardiola when he failed a drug test. Normally this wouldn't really pop in my radar, but if you couple this with the Fuentes scandal where he accused Barca of having an extensive doping program...is it possible Neymar's problem wasn't an anemia, but something far more sordid? Food for thought, if you are so inclined. Anyway, I don't think it's possible he's benefiting of any performance enhancements since he has scored less goals than Gareth Bale in more matches and they cost about the same, definitely a bad deal so far.

Your Portuguese bias is showing mate.

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I don't know, ask Martino.

I would love it if we had a proper striker like when we had Eto'o scoring his missiles.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

How many classicos has Bale scored in again?

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

lmao.

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like
:love:moray cup:love:
:love:sheep:love:

:love:haim:love:
Rosell is resigning in the next few hours. Nobody in trouble except the Barcelona board. This could pave the way for Laporta to come back. Basically this is actually really good news for Barcelona.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Laporta had a confidence vote against him which he narrowly beat and his own lawsuit for using club money for prostitutes, champagne and jet rides for him and his friends, and it was obvious he only used the club for his own personal gain and for his political career, I don't see why him coming back is actually any good.

Get someone competent / not shady as gently caress in there for once for Christ sake.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Nice casual racism, fucktard.

It's racist to acknowledge that Brazil has corruption problems? Ooook,

Man this Rosell news went from 0-60 fast wow

Also I'd rather Laporta waste a tiny bit of club money on himself because he at least seems to listen to the "football people." Rosell was all about greasing deals for his connections, mostly Brazilian

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like

Anyone know if Vilarrubi is good? Hes standing for election in June

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The Catalan press are running that Rosell's already quit.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The Catalan press are running that Rosell's already quit.

Good

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

It's because of the dodgy Neymar deal, isnt it?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Big 'mar big scandal.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

euroboy posted:

It's because of the dodgy Neymar deal, isnt it?

Yup

Good riddance Rosell now Cruyff and Pep will be welcome back at the club

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

NattyBo posted:

Yup

Good riddance Rosell now Cruyff and Pep will be welcome back at the club

Pep isn't coming back. He's loving life in Germany

Borzou
Aug 22, 2010

Iranian Dentist

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I've seen many games where the best option is a cross, but nobody tall enough to fight for the ball and receive. Definitely need some tall players to balance the air game.

Ter Stegen
Dani Alvez - M. Hummels - Pique - Jordi Alba
Xavi-Biscuits -Iniesta
Messi-Sergio Aguero-Neymar

Subs - your choice of
Adriano M. Barta - Fabregas - Pinto - Pedro - Tello - Song - Sanchez

In hindsight, the Neymar money (whatever amount that really is) could have been used to beef up the back this year.

Borzou fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 23, 2014

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like

Borzou posted:

I've seen many games where the best option is a cross, but nobody tall enough to fight for the ball and receive. Definitely need some tall players to balance the air game.

Ter Stegen
Xavi-Biscuits -Iniesta

Subs - your choice of

In hindsight, the Neymar money (whatever amount that really is) could have been used to beef up the back this year.

Back line is doing fine. Pique, Masch and Bartra more than enough. More important is a replacement for Xavi. Barca will not be signing Hummels as he isnt the right profile and probably wont sign Aguero

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Borzou posted:

Ter Stegen
Xavi-Biscuits -Iniesta

Subs - your choice of

Noted big man in the middle; Sergio Aguero. They have done fine without a target man for crosses in the air for the past few years. I don't really think adding one would help much if at all.

And like said, they have plenty of cover in the back between Puyol, Masch, Pique and Bartra.

northward posted:

Back line is doing fine. Pique, Masch and Bartra more than enough. More important is a replacement for Xavi. Barca will not be signing Hummels as he isnt the right profile and probably wont sign Aguero

I thought Sergio Roberto was intended to be Xavi's replacement. Between Iniesta, Fabregas and Roberto, they have plenty of attacking midfielders when Xavi is gone.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Surely that "Xavi Busquets Iniesta" line is going to have to change sooner rather than later.

Is Fabregas a Xavi or Iniesta type player?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Ninpo posted:

Surely that "Xavi Busquets Iniesta" line is going to have to change sooner rather than later.

Iniesta. Xavi is almost a pure passer. Iniesta likes to attack space with the balls as does Fabregas. Honestly I haven't seen Sergi Roberto play enough to know which he favors between Iniesta and Xavi, but he may not have a choice.

Borzou
Aug 22, 2010

Iranian Dentist

Suqit posted:

Noted big man in the middle; Sergio Aguero. They have done fine without a target man for crosses in the air for the past few years. I don't really think adding one would help much if at all.

And like said, they have plenty of cover in the back between Puyol, Masch, Pique and Bartra.

I feel like the problem is most felt during European games where the other team is able to prevent passing. Sometimes what they need is someone strong and fast to break through that defence. It's definitely not going to be Messi. Which reminds me, wasn't it during the game with Jose's Inter that they played Pique as CF. It was a last ditch effort at a new tactic which I felt spoke the the weakness of the front.

Also, I love Puyol, but I don't know if he's a reliable option anymore :(

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Roberto is more of an attacker than a passer.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Borzou posted:

I feel like the problem is most felt during European games where the other team is able to prevent passing. Sometimes what they need is someone strong and fast to break through that defence. It's definitely not going to be Messi. Which reminds me, wasn't it during the game with Jose's Inter that they played Pique as CF. It was a last ditch effort at a new tactic which I felt spoke the the weakness of the front.

Your post makes zero sense. Even less when you remember that Zlatan loving Ibrahimovich played for Barcelona against Inter.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
They miss Eto'o more than they miss some mythical plan B big man.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Chas McGill posted:

Big 'mar big scandal.
This whole thing has (big) 'Marred Barcelonas reputation IMHO.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Borzou posted:

Do you even watch football outside of like one or two CL matches a year? What the gently caress. Messi's whole career is based around him dribbling through defences. I mean, holy gently caress, this is poor, by any standard.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

:sigh: If only Messi could break through defences. What we need is *checks FIFA* Sergio Agüero as "CF" because he's not similar to Messi.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I'd have loved to have Higuain, him and Messi partner up so well in the national team.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

El Hefe posted:

I'd have loved to have Higuain, him and Messi partner up so well in the national team.

Now there's an actual suggestion that makes sense! None of this lets play 3 short blokes up front in order to force our way through defences nonsense.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Now there's an actual suggestion that makes sense! None of this lets play 3 short blokes up front in order to force our way through defences nonsense.

That obviously works most of the time in Spain but in the CL Barca has been sussed out the last few years, PSG and Milan gave Barca a lot of trouble and lets not even mention that other game.

Borzou
Aug 22, 2010

Iranian Dentist

Do you even watch football outside of like one or two CL matches a year? What the gently caress. Messi's whole career is based around him dribbling through defences. I mean, holy gently caress, this is poor, by any standard.

My observation is a bit short sighted as I confuse tactics with player abilities. But I am trying to express some frustration on why I believe Messi is overhyped sometimes while throwing my two cent in to explain why a 7 - 0 aggregate score happens as well. I threw the Aguero name as an example. I should have left it blank and left it for someone else to fill in.

EDIT: I've been watching long enough to realize that Barcelona is playing with 2 CB's, 2 wingers, and 6 midfielders most of the time. I am merely suggesting that they get a proper striker.

Borzou fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 23, 2014

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Ninpo posted:

Neither really. He's far more direct and happy in front of goal but lacks the passpasspasspasspasspasspasspass mentality of either.

Also lol at "we need a big man like Aguero". I can't see Messi being happy out being shunted out wide either.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Borzou posted:

My observation is a bit short sighted as I confuse tactics with player abilities. But I am trying to express some frustration on why I believe Messi is overhyped sometimes while throwing my two cent in to explain why a 7 - 0 aggregate score happens as well. I threw the Aguero name as an example. I should have left it blank and left it for someone else to fill in.

EDIT: I've been watching long enough to realize that Barcelona is playing with 2 CB's, 2 wingers, and 6 midfielders most of the time. I am merely suggesting that they get a proper striker.

I don't know man. I think Messi is about as proper a striker as can be had.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Suqit posted:

This.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Suqit posted:

Not really, he isn't a striker, a perfect striker was Ronaldo, tall, strong, perfect shoot, etc.

Messi can play anywhere and be effective though that's for sure, last night he played deep and gave 3 assists.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
You people get so caught up with silly terms for positions sometimes. The main purpose of a center forward is to score goals, and Messi does that better than anyone. Call him a striker or a center forward or a false nine, or whatever you want, the dude knows how to score goals.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Perez 4 Barca prez

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Suqit posted:

You people get so caught up with silly terms for positions sometimes. The main purpose of a center forward is to score goals, and Messi does that better than anyone. Call him a striker or a center forward or a false nine, or whatever you want, the dude knows how to score goals.

Except for Argentina :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Except for Argentina :newlol:

Last time I checked he actually had about as many goals for Argentina as Maradona.

• Locked thread