Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I don't know when you did it, but thank you for (unintentionally?) making the bottom toolbar able to be hidden unlike before iOS7. Using a jailbreak tweak called fullscroll, and I have so much screen real-estate!

Seriously, this is my dream forums browsing experience:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Is it possible to have Safari Reading List integration for links and images?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Niemat posted:

Okay, I have started having kind of a weird bug recently... After I post, I'll try to refresh my bookmarks list, and the list doesn't refresh. Like, it shows that I was the last person to post in a thread, but my unread counts don't update and my bookmarked threads don't reorganize themselves. I have to completely back out of the app and close it to get them to refresh again. I'm running the latest iOS on an iPhone 5.

After all that, can you pull the list down to trigger a refresh? Or does that stop working too? It's normal for just the thread you replied to to change its count and such, but it's definitely not normal for refresh to break on the whole list.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Love the app, I do about 95% of my SA surfing with it, thanks for all of your hard work! This really isn't that big of a deal, but I just updated with the latest version in the app store and while using Dark Mode, it used to be black and now it's more dark gray. Is there anyway to switch it back to being black?

Not at the moment. Personally I really like the current dark theme, I've switched to it full time. But I've got an item on the list to bring custom CSS support back in, so if that happens you could use that.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don't know when you did it, but thank you for (unintentionally?) making the bottom toolbar able to be hidden unlike before iOS7. Using a jailbreak tweak called fullscroll, and I have so much screen real-estate!

Seriously, this is my dream forums browsing experience:

Let's call it semi-intentional :) and bringing that to everyone is definitely on the list.

theadder posted:

Is it possible to have Safari Reading List integration for links and images?

It is! I'll throw it on the list.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'll pitch in:

Can't read thread titles that are too long. The sub menu no longer displays the full title like in previous versions

I agree with canceling auto refresh of a thread is clicked. The 1ms delay when I go to click on a thread and it moves under my thumb is what's annoying. Or if there was some way to keep bookmarked threads on static positions, ya know?

UI wise, it would be cool to have white theme, dark gray theme, and jet black theme (for dark rooms).

Also I think the selling/buying icons would look a lot slicker if they were dogeared corners or something that was square or rectangular

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

On the list, thanks!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm using the app on my new iPad mini, but:

Q: How do I open a thread, and view it full screen? I want to get my bookmark list out of the way.

Q: How do I jump to the last page of a thread?

Q: How do I bookmark a thread I haven't posted in, but want to keep up with?

Thanks for all the hard work on an amazing app!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Long press is your solution.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Red posted:

I'm using the app on my new iPad mini, but:

Q: How do I open a thread, and view it full screen? I want to get my bookmark list out of the way.

Q: How do I jump to the last page of a thread?

Q: How do I bookmark a thread I haven't posted in, but want to keep up with?

Thanks for all the hard work on an amazing app!

I'm being very genuine here and am not trying to come off as a dick or anything. Why don't you press the various buttons within the app to see what they do?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Dave posted:

I'm being very genuine here and am not trying to come off as a dick or anything. Why don't you press the various buttons within the app to see what they do?

Nice try getting him auto-banned you jerk.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

STOP SPILLING THE SECRETS

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Dave posted:

This was the perfect advice TBQH. :unsmith:

This app is clever enough that those little functions are taken care of by tiny little things here and there. Awesome.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Are the two horizontal line breaks between posts in FYAD intended / even showing up for anyone else?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The forums tab currently has the forums header and nothing else showing. Bookmarks, settings, etc are still working fine. I'm on a iPhone if that helps.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Livingtrope posted:

The forums tab currently has the forums header and nothing else showing. Bookmarks, settings, etc are still working fine. I'm on a iPhone if that helps.

That happened to me too. A reinstall fixed it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can no longer expand the Sports Argument Stadium subforums. I click the expand icon and the app crashes.

On iPhone 4S

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

101 posted:

That happened to me too. A reinstall fixed it

Yep, that fixed it, thanks!

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

I can no longer expand the Sports Argument Stadium subforums. I click the expand icon and the app crashes.

On iPhone 4S

This happened to me too, only the 2014 Winter Olympics subforum would show up then crash. Force closing the app then restarting the phone seems to bring back the rest of the subforums for the time being.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Having the same issue with the sports subforums here too, also on a 4S.

EDIT: now I can't go to my forums list at all. I think since the SAS subforum list opened up, trying to go to the forums list just crashes instantly.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Looks like something about the list of sports forums is totally borking the app, and it's easily reproducible if you expand/collapse the SAS subforum list once or twice. The crash happens in -forumTreeControllerDidUpdate, and it gives this error:

quote:

2014-01-25 12:39:06.086 Awful Debug[15355:70b] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Invalid update: invalid number of rows in section 1. The number of rows contained in an existing section after the update (19) must be equal to the number of rows contained in that section before the update (18), plus or minus the number of rows inserted or deleted from that section (5 inserted, 0 deleted) and plus or minus the number of rows moved into or out of that section (0 moved in, 0 moved out).'

The error is pretty self explanatory, but I haven't dug into it enough to figure out the actual reason for the crash. It only appears to affect the Sports forum stack...maybe because they just added another subforum?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Is there an option I need to switch on so read posts are a different shade than unread posts?

E: Huh. Fixed itself suddenly. Never mind!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Bug report: trying to view the profile of someone on your ignore list results in the app crashing to desktop with no error message

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

D-Sho Qub posted:

Are the two horizontal line breaks between posts in FYAD intended / even showing up for anyone else?

I guess nobody else noticed? I'll take a look though. Absence of evidence is not blah blah blah.

Livingtrope posted:

EugeneJ posted:

Belle Isle Tech posted:

This happened to me too, only the 2014 Winter Olympics subforum would show up then crash.

ultramiraculous posted:

Looks like something about the list of sports forums is totally borking the app, and it's easily reproducible if you expand/collapse the SAS subforum list once or twice. The crash happens in -forumTreeControllerDidUpdate, and it gives this error:

The error is pretty self explanatory, but I haven't dug into it enough to figure out the actual reason for the crash. It only appears to affect the Sports forum stack...maybe because they just added another subforum?

Clearly there's an issue with the forums tab :) I had known of one before, not sure if we're all seeing the same bug or what. I'll get into it. ultramiraculous if you want to poke around, I'm guessing I hosed up some bookkeeping in AwfulForumTreeController.

ibntumart posted:

Is there an option I need to switch on so read posts are a different shade than unread posts?

E: Huh. Fixed itself suddenly. Never mind!

There's a bug or two around showing posts as read. Sometimes a brand new page is instantly marked as read, sometimes the opposite. It's not you.

webmeister posted:

Bug report: trying to view the profile of someone on your ignore list results in the app crashing to desktop with no error message

Hadn't thought to try that one, thanks!

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Is there any possibility of making the the 'nothing to see here' text on a clean rap sheet brighter? Black on grey is really hard to read in night mode.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

in_cahoots posted:

Is there any possibility of making the the 'nothing to see here' text on a clean rap sheet brighter? Black on grey is really hard to read in night mode.

Done.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Here's a shot of the FYAD thing

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

On iPhone 4S

This happens to me also. I have a fix- don't go to that sub forum. [4s]

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Can you add forum upgrade functionality on the iPhone/iPad app? I have archives and platinum, and want a report button added and to be able to do more with archives than just view old links.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

D-Sho Qub posted:

Here's a shot of the FYAD thing

Ohhh I know whats going on there. Just a lil css.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Am I daft or is there no longer a way to hide the side bar on an iPad anymore?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

ZShakespeare posted:

Am I daft or is there no longer a way to hide the side bar on an iPad anymore?

It's the <> next to the thread title. Took me a while to figure that out too.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Braincloud posted:

Thank the sweet, merciful, lord satan. Thank you.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Braincloud posted:

Yeah, I just asked about this a page ago.

Would it be possible to have a "User's Guide" feature in the app? Or, in the OP?

An in-app guide could just be one of those arrow overlays other apps have, that point to things that aren't outwardly obvious.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Red posted:

An in-app guide could just be one of those arrow overlays other apps have, that point to things that aren't outwardly obvious.

I hate those things.

If you get stuck, it's a failure of the app and a bug that needs fixing. Tutorial mode is admitting defeat.

(I'm not saying this is universally true, but I think it is for Awful.)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For an app like this, I think that if you need one of those then your design is broken.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Equally I'm continually surprised by the number of people who come in here and ask how to hide the sidebar rather than just trying the button that's right there on the screen all the time. Maybe the icon just needs redesigning?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah. <> doesn't really mean anything intuitive. <- expresses the idea much better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Froist posted:

Equally I'm continually surprised by the number of people who come in here and ask how to hide the sidebar rather than just trying the button that's right there on the screen all the time. Maybe the icon just needs redesigning?

Redesign the icon to say "hey sidebar swiping is back in"

There must be enough people wanting this to take the feature off the back burner.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Javid posted:

Yeah. <> doesn't really mean anything intuitive. <- expresses the idea much better.

Maybe <- when the sidebar is showing, and -> when it's hidden?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Javid posted:

But see, now that I'm used to it, I'd prefer to keep <>. It's just so clean and simple. And with an overlay, you avoid tutorials/guides/etc. You literally tap a ? in the corner, see what's what, and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was also taken back by how many people didn't understand that button and didn't tap it to see what happens. I do think it's a bad looking button though.

• Locked thread