Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Pakled posted:

I'm super hyped about the CK2 and EU4 DLC, but especially for Runemaster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time PDS has made a game that isn't Grand Strategy, right?

Dragonfire: Well of Souls is kind of a PDS game and kind of an RPG. It's also more than kind of terrible.

I can't imagine many developers from the Target Games era are still around so not like it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
quill18 tweeted some quotes about HOI4. The main gist seems to be reducing micromanagement (which is awesome).

quote:

#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: "We're going to make it better than EU4"
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: What we learned from CK2/EU4: Make the playability & replayability better. It shouldn't be a chore to play.
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: "Slightly easier learning curve (but not that easy.)"
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: You can still control individual units, but now battle plans actually do stuff
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: Battle plans can include bombing targets, movement, etc..
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: "Deep Political System". Political leaders are fewer, but more important. Ideas you can unlock & implement.
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: Ideas can include neutrality stances, for example.
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: Strategic Warfare. Not everything is on a single-province level.
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: Air raids & submarine stuff can happen over larger areas instead of province-by-province micro.
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: Detailed Technology Trees -- apparently we will see more on this later.
#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: They keep talking about how good the new maps look. Such a tease. When will they show us?

e: #pdxcon Hearts of Iron 4 will NOT be coming out in 2014.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

#pdxcon HEARTS OF IRON 4: You can still control individual units, but now battle plans actually do stuff

Holy poo poo if they actually pull this off I will Yamamoto the hell out of every possible engagement.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fuf posted:

quill18 tweeted some quotes about HOI4. The main gist seems to be reducing micromanagement (which is awesome).

e: #pdxcon Hearts of Iron 4 will NOT be coming out in 2014.

Will they still have literal trillions of provinces?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I am glad that Paradox is expanding beyond grand strategy, will be interesting how that turns out.

Also stoked for the expansions for CK2 and EU4 :dance: (HOI is not really my thing, will still try the demo though).

CK2 question: Does that mean that Indian Ocean is navigable?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy poo poo if they actually pull this off I will Yamamoto the hell out of every possible engagement.

Seriously, battle plans were neat in HoI3 for remembering what you want to do but now the AI will follow them? :getin:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I'm really hoping HOI 4 is actually fun to play since HOI 3 was really...not fun. Cut the number of provinces, re-do army composition and keep armies at the division level. Sadly because there's no Vicky 3 yet I doubt there will be an easy way to do a CK2->EU4->Vicky->HOI4 game.

I just wanna play a thousand years of history Paradox :smith:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

quiggy stardust posted:

no because HoI3 has literally around 10k provinces, not trillions.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Megadyptes posted:

no because HoI3 has literally around 10k provinces, not trillions.

I was literally being serious in a literal fashion.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Disco Infiva posted:

CK2 question: Does that mean that Indian Ocean is navigable?

It's going to be unbelievably stupid if it's not, so as an optimist I only wonder how they've fixed the unconnected oceans problem.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The real questions on everyone's mind for HoI4 are:

-How pretty are the borders going to be?
-How diverse and cool-looking are the flags?

Everything else is immaterial.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quiggy stardust posted:

It's not a problem if the AI can actually follow battle plans. Again - issue with HOI3 isn't the principle of handing over control of your armies to the AI, it's that the AI generals can't do anything more complicated than WW1 style shoving matches across the line. If the AI can be made to grasp more complicated player intentions/ideas then the increased province count is a bonus (though the ideal is still probably somewhere between HOI2 and 3.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Any hints on what KIND of RPG Runemaster is?

Diabloesque action rpg?
Black Isle stlye rpg?

Nightblade posted:

It's going to be unbelievably stupid if it's not, so as an optimist I only wonder how they've fixed the unconnected oceans problem.

I presume it's always been something they COULD spend the time to fix, but didn't feel was worth the effort for just the sea around Arabia. Presumably that'll change for this expansion.

I never thought they'd expand east to India. By the time CKII finishes development we'll have Aztecs rampaging across China and Japan...

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Fintilgin posted:

Any hints on what KIND of RPG Runemaster is?

Diabloesque action rpg?
Black Isle stlye rpg?

I presume it's always been something they COULD spend the time to fix, but didn't feel was worth the effort for just the sea around Arabia. Presumably that'll change for this expansion.

I never thought they'd expand east to India. By the time CKII finishes development we'll have Aztecs rampaging across China and Japan...

Quill18 has said it's a procedurally generated, turn based RPG with emergent storytelling, 3 classes, 6 races and around 50 - 100 hours of content.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm actually double disappointed. It didn't even occur to me that the fantasy game wouldn't be grand strategy and I was really looking forward to that.

At least the expansions sound good.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ThePutty posted:

Quill18 has said it's a procedurally generated, turn based RPG with emergent storytelling, 3 classes, 6 races and around 50 - 100 hours of content.

Procedural generation and emergent storytelling. Either they try to build this from scratch and the game is a huge disappointment or they steal CK2's NPC system and nail it perfectly. Here's hoping it's the latter.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

If they add China in a CK2 expansion I'll poo poo bricks, and then eat them :colbert:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ThePutty posted:

Woohoo! :dance:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

quiggy stardust posted:

Procedural generation and emergent storytelling. Either they try to build this from scratch and the game is a huge disappointment or they steal CK2's NPC system and nail it perfectly. Here's hoping it's the latter.

Yeah, dynamically generated NPCs along the lines of CK2 has the potential to be really rad.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Why must Paradox do this to my wallet :(

And why must they not have a Space 4X/Grand Strat among this :(

Still, sounds like they've heeded the criticisms of HoI 3 and after CK2 and EU4 I'm pretty optimistic!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

They are also setting up a new dev studio, Paradox Arctic in Umeå made up of ex DICE and Starbreeze dudes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

quiggy stardust posted:

Yeah CK2 is the only game I can think of that actually has emergent narratives, which is pretty funny.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Viking RPG and CK2 India. Paradox, I love you guys. I can't even tell you how much I'm looking forward to conquering Jerusalem with war elephants.

Also is it just my imagination, or are the runic words in the Runemaster logo 'Paradox Development Studios'?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also is it just my imagination, or are the runic words in the Runemaster logo 'Paradox Development Studios'?
"paradoks dewelopment studio" to be specific yes.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

It's such a good time to be a Paradox fan. Oh my. :shobon:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So I've never really been an HOI fan (I'm not all that interested in World War II as a setting), but I think it's cool that the people that do will get a new outing. I think that Runemaster might be utterly amazing if it's done right. I don't play much CK2, but I think India could be great. I am most excited for Wealth of Nations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Viking RPG and CK2 India. Paradox, I love you guys. I can't even tell you how much I'm looking forward to conquering Jerusalem with war elephants.
The Crusader Kingdom of Mysore or bust. :colbert:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I am super excited over this new. 2 new great sounding expansions for two great game and the Paradox game I was really hoping got a new version gets a new version. All is well in the world. :sun:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Kainser posted:

"paradoks dewelopment studio" to be specific yes.

I thought it was 'Paradoks!' That's clever.

My only regret is that Runemaster will probably be a fun game that I will not play enough of because I'll be too distracted by conquering Europe in the name of the Buddha.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever managed to make any form of India in any Paradox game, maybe since this is so much earlier I can forge a massive Indian empire and import that into EUIV when I finally get around to buying that. Then come Vicky III I can have bizzarro-world where the great powers are Asian.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

quote:

Really? I hope this whole thing is some sort of joke?

India? Who can honestly say they have the first clue about the history of India in the CK2 time period? Hell the only things I know about India start from when the British turn up and takeover and even then its pretty sketchy.

If, this is true ... if ... were the European Kings even aware of India in real life? Did Kings of England, France Spain or even Eastern kings like Hungary or Byzantium care what was going on in India or for that matter care?

I honestly read all the pages of the posts so far and how can anyone honestly be excited for this possible turd of a DLC.

Of all the people who are 'so exited' who can honestly tell me things about Indian history without having to look them up on the web to sound smart? Who went out of there way to research Indian history ... and why?

I may sound like some sort of racist, eurocentric a'hole to some people, but I honestly have never read anything in the CK2 time period that ever referenced India ... so why is it being supposedly added to the game?

Especially considering all the things that needed improved and deepened.

Who honestly wants to play as an India and why? I appreciate that people come from India, and that it has a rich history and has contributed to the world in many ways, but that still doesn't justify this DLC, if it is fact true.

Plus, just to reiterate, how is anyone excited for this at all?

quote:

For me CK II is foremost an RPG and in any RPG I need to identify with my character. Being German I enjoy to play european medieval ruler and to a lower degree nordic pagans, but I'm not interested in non-european content.

For me HoI is foremost an RPG and in any RPG I need to identify with my character. Being German I enjoy to play...

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

CK2: A game to identify with your character unless you yourself are Indian.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fintilgin posted:

For me HoI is foremost an RPG and in any RPG I need to identify with my character. Being German I enjoy to play...

As an American I'm upset about my inability to play as the Duke of Ohio in CK2. Paradox please cater to my ethnicity!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Michiganders, give us Wisconsinians back our rightful clay! :qq:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly one of the great things about an expansion to India is that it reduces the things that a player will have to "make up" as he converts to EU4, especially when CK2's emergent gameplay tends to generate scenarios better than any player-determined alt-history (except perhaps for Dinosaur Australia).

I do wonder how they'll pull the map expansion. Will everything north of Afghanistan and east of the Caspian be cut-off or terra incognita? Will Africa be modeled down through the Cape of Good Hope, or will be abstracted, or will the only over-water route be from the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Michiganders, give us Wisconsinians back our rightful clay! :qq:

It was never de jure Wisconsin territory and never even de facto long enough for de jure drift to begin. You'll have fabricate claims to get any CB on the place.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Does the feudal politics of ck2 really fit with period India, is the really big question. It's already pretty out of place with some of the things that are on the map to begin with, in my understanding of history.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

One can only hope that with this expansion they will finally feel compelled to implement some sort of distance system (affected by technology) that prevents diplomatic interaction between powers that are too far away from each other. This would also reduce the absurd nordic/west african intermarrying that exists right now. The more you or the other guy expand towards each other, the easier/cheaper will it be to make treaties.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

jsoh posted:

Does the feudal politics of ck2 really fit with period India, is the really big question. It's already pretty out of place with some of the things that are on the map to begin with, in my understanding of history.

Yes. Medieval India could be feasibly represented by CK2's system, no better nor no worse as CK2's system currently represents feudal European, pagan Slavs and Norsemen, and Muslims.

Heck, I'd expect the Indian factions to get some special mechanics since this whole expansion is dedicated to them, so I wonder why we would be quibbling (not saying you are quibbling) over how well the game's mechanics will fit them.

Most complaints I've seen so far about the DLC relate to how little people know about Medieval India. Well. Go to wikipedia, it's great for poo poo like this, and as someone who knows a bit about the period it'll be a fun a gently caress ride if Pdox does half as well as I think they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Maybe next year, Airfix Dogfighter. Maybe next year..

• Locked thread