Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I still haven't seen this from any remotely credible source, do any of you have a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

I still haven't seen this from any remotely credible source, do any of you have a link?

Paradox confirmed it on Twitter.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
:swoon: this sounds amazing, can't wait.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

waaaaaaaauu~ :aaa:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Well, then holy poo poo. :aaaaa: This is going to be awesome. Dare I hope for Death To Offmap Hordes?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
If this includes a decadence tweak it will be perfect.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I hope that means we can finally sail the waters around Arabia (and India by extension). Will there be a portage so you can sail your ships from the Mediterranean Sea into the Red Sea and beyond? If not holding Egypt will be incredibly valuable.

Will there be new major rivers to sail as Norse, for example the Ganges?

We will probably get a new succession type. Was there any special kind of feudal succession in India?

Also, you can finally recreate Alexander's empire!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The expansion out to India sounds amazing. Really curious how they're gonna make it work.

Any release date yet?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I hope that means we can finally sail the waters around Arabia (and India by extension). Will there be a portage so you can sail your ships from the Mediterranean Sea into the Red Sea and beyond? If not holding Egypt will be incredibly valuable.

Will there be new major rivers to sail as Norse, for example the Ganges?

We will probably get a new succession type. Was there any special kind of feudal succession in India?

Also, you can finally recreate Alexander's empire!

It'd be amazing if they could add a strait in Suez so everyone can cross over. Or maybe they'll just expand all the way to South Africa and keep it unoccupied like far-east Russia?

Anyway that sounds awesome and now I get why I get like 20 events in one playthrough about the magical land of Hindustan (FORESHADOWING)!

In other hilarious news, I'm so glad Paradox adds events where my character says exactly what I'm thinking. I had such an awesome heir set up but my dude never loving died and my heir got sick :(.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I'm excited to see what kind of awful portraits we'll be getting for the Indian Subcontinent. :allears:

Also, I'm excited to do a reverse-Alexander with some awesome Raja.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder how they intend to tackle the performance issues around midgame, since using a modded map already tends to kill performance and India is a huge place...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
You'll be able to transfer your Indian Empire into EUIV, too! :shepface:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Have they posted a screenshot of the new map yet?

And will India be contiguous with the rest of the map, or is it a separate game mode?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

alcaras posted:

Have they posted a screenshot of the new map yet?

And will India be contiguous with the rest of the map, or is it a separate game mode?

No and they haven't specified, although I assume it will be contiguous.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

rvm posted:

There should be "Embrace Russian Culture" (or something like that) decision in Intrigue menu.

Are there any requirements you have to meet for this to show up? I'm not sure if CK2+ changed things, but all I see is a decision to convert to Volga Slav culture.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I can just see it now, Vikings sailing up the Ganges to raid Varanasi and establishing a Norse kingdom in Uttar Pradesh...

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Wow.

I'm not quite sure what to say. I'm equally excited and a bit troubled by this announcement - if it works well then it will be loving amazing.
But blimey, huge issues crop up in my mind for me:

-300 new provinces is going to be a huge drag on people with PCs that can't handle mods like the Elder Kings/GOT

-Is a random Norse ruler in the Old Gods start date going to be able to undertake a prepared invasion of a random Indian state? (would only happen if rivers link up though)

-What about random host fleets? can a random Western courtier end up in control of an Indian kingdom?

-Chance for random Indian people to end up in European courts and vica versa

But ohmygod if it works as a contiguous map that's clearly separated at the same time, that would be incredible. Eagerly awaiting to ruler design an Indian count in Britain to introduce Curry 1,100 years ahead of schedule :getin:

EDIT: Oh wow - just had a thought, how are hordes going to be handled now? :psyduck:

Averrences fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 23, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I can just see it now, Vikings sailing up the Ganges to raid Varanasi and establishing a Norse kingdom in Uttar Pradesh...

Vedic-Norse mythology would be loving awesome.

Also, Vikings giving up their lives of violence to sit atop mountains and contemplate life? SIGN ME UP, BRUH.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Doge Rajraja of the Most Serene Republic of Chola

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

If I can't play a mixed-race Norse Indian Orthodox woman count living in Spain, this expansion sucks :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Buddhist Roman Empire.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Looked at the paradox forums for five minutes, that's all it took to find someone saying that the only thing India has ever done is rape girls.

I love how people can unironically act like the paradox forums...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

It's funny that they'd knock India for that, cause last I checked appalling treatment of women is a global, cross-cultural thing. :v:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
This poo poo sounds crazy (crazy awesome). Will they include the bigger map for people that don't have the DLC? They did that when they added Mali but I have to imagine this will be way different.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They probably will and just not let you play in India without buying the expansion.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Cityinthesea posted:

This poo poo sounds crazy (crazy awesome). Will they include the bigger map for people that don't have the DLC? They did that when they added Mali but I have to imagine this will be way different.

India will be inhabited by characters with vanilla/frankish cultured faces and everyone will be "pagan".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh wow loving hell this is great. Paradox are the best at DLC. I was hoping a bigger map would be a possibility in CK3, didn't even occur to me we'd get India as CK2 DLC!

The implications this has for the hordes has me very interested as well. Could we finally get hordes that don't just appear magically? Hordes that are in the game from day one but only invade when the circumstances are right?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The paradox forums are predictably full of people whose lives have been ruined irreparably by this announcement. Crusader Kings means western christians in the holy land only guys, Paradox is being silly and unrealistic, not like with meldrick and robin hood which are all totally realistic and serious! To these people I have only one thing to say:

Raja is a way cooler title then Kaiser. :getin:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NewMars posted:

The paradox forums are predictably full of people whose lives have been ruined irreparably by this announcement. Crusader Kings means western christians in the holy land only guys, Paradox is being silly and unrealistic, not like with meldrick and robin hood which are all totally realistic and serious! To these people I have only one thing to say:

Raja is a way cooler title then Kaiser. :getin:

I believe the emperor-tier title would be "Maharaja." :getin:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

quote:

Cons :

2nd Magyar invasion of Punjab.

Norse Sri Lanka

:confused:

Those aren't cons at all, paradox forums person!

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I share some of their concerns that it might be done haphazardly though. I hope this doesn't come out for a while.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marktheando posted:

Oh wow loving hell this is great. Paradox are the best at DLC. I was hoping a bigger map would be a possibility in CK3, didn't even occur to me we'd get India as CK2 DLC!

The implications this has for the hordes has me very interested as well. Could we finally get hordes that don't just appear magically? Hordes that are in the game from day one but only invade when the circumstances are right?

How would that work? The Mongols come from... well, Mongolia. You have China between India and Mongolia, and united Mongols were not really a thing until several centuries after the Old Gods start. I am 100% certain that hordes will still appear with doomstacks, since they have no lands in the playable map until the 12th century.

And even if Mongolia were on the map you would probably still need spawn doomstacks independent of the normal levy mechanics. I seriously doubt that hordes will work differently, except of course that they now can conquer more of their historical lands. Although India itself apparently was never invaded by the Mongols, but there are still things like Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Edit:

marktheando posted:

:confused:

Those aren't cons at all, paradox forums person!

Yeah, what is wrong with conquering Ireland as a Buddhist or setting up Norse Sri Lanka? CK2 is all about alternate history!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 23, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Torrannor posted:

How would that work? The Mongols come from... well, Mongolia. You have China between India and Mongolia, and united Mongols were not really a thing until several centuries after the Old Gods start. I am 100% certain that hordes will still appear with doomstacks, since they have no lands in the playable map until the 12th century.

And even if Mongolia were on the map you would probably still need spawn doomstacks independent of the normal levy mechanics. I seriously doubt that hordes will work differently, except of course that they now can conquer more of their historical lands. Although India itself apparently was never invaded by the Mongols, but there are still things like Pakistan and Afghanistan.

I was thinking of the Seljuks rather than the Mongols, but yeah you are probably right. I guess any on map horde would just get free event troops.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, what is wrong with conquering Ireland as a Buddhist or setting up Norse Sri Lanka? CK2 is all about alternate history!

God as a paradox forums user I can't stand anything remotely historically inaccurate, the idea of India in Crusader Kings 2 is just stupid, duh.

Now that's over, let me tell you about my game where the restored Roman Empire fought off the Mongol Hordes, it's way better than the other four thousand restored Roman Empires people have posted on the forums.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Check out my historically accurate mod where most of the time the only decisions you can take are "Sit Around in poo poo and Filth" or "Buy New Rushes for Smoke-clogged Wooden Hall" (+100 prestige, -25 gold, 25% chance of gaining the trait "Lice Infested")

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The best part will be that Sons of Abraham will finally go on sale, since Paradox never puts the newest DLC except for a lousy 10% off.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I keep seeing conflicting information online about the "spread technology" jobs you can have your councillors do. I've seen pages that say:

- Always put your dude in your capital city, because tech spreads from the capital and this will make it go faster
- Always put your dude on the opposite end of your demesne from your capital, because he acts like a second capital and makes tech spread from both locations
- Always put your dude in the capital of a far away kingdom, like Constantinople, because it makes the technology in that place appear in your own capital

Which one is it?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Parallax Scroll posted:

I keep seeing conflicting information online about the "spread technology" jobs you can have your councillors do. I've seen pages that say:

- Always put your dude in your capital city, because tech spreads from the capital and this will make it go faster
- Always put your dude on the opposite end of your demesne from your capital, because he acts like a second capital and makes tech spread from both locations
- Always put your dude in the capital of a far away kingdom, like Constantinople, because it makes the technology in that place appear in your own capital

Which one is it?

I think the third at least is wrong - it's placing your spymaster to steal tech makes your capital technically adjacent to said foreign province, thus possibly speeding up tech spread. As far as I know it's the first option that's correct but I have no proof.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The spymaster is the only one that can benefit from foreign tech.

The other council members act like a second capital whereever you put them.
I suppose putting them in your capital to improve tech might make it spread faster, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I think the way spread technology works now is that the province you put your council member in is the province that will "spread" its technology to the surrounding provinces. You can create, essentially, technology 'corridors' by spreading tech to a neighboring province, switching your council member that that new province, and spreading the tech to all the new surrounding provinces, and then putting your council member on another province to continue the chain.

I never do this. I generally park my tech-spreading guy in my capital and pray to the RNG that things get spread throughout my kingdom in a timely fashion.

• Locked thread