Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Oh, go gently caress yourself Luann.

Because I'm into self-punishment apparently, I checked out the comments for that first one. In amongst the expected laughing at Tiffany and expressions of relief that the comic is back to making GBS threads on her instead of treating her like a person was this moment of clarity:

How nice! Might there be hope for the GoComics comment section after all? (No, of course not.)

Oooooh, ok. I see. Greg intended her to be the villain, thus the reader is not permitted to find positive traits and sympathize. Thanks for clearing that up!

In other news, I guess I let my subscription to the comics kingdom lapse. More comics to come later when I get around to renewing it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gilchrist should have chosen a song that doesn't have creepy subtext.

quote:

The lyrics in this duet are designed to be heard as a conversation between two people, marked as "mouse" and "wolf" on the printed score; they have returned to the "wolf's" home after a date, and the "mouse" decides it is time to go home, but the "wolf" flirtatiously invites her to stay as it is late and "it's cold outside."[3] Every line in the song features a statement from the "mouse" followed by a response from the "wolf". Usually the "wolf" part is sung by a male and the "mouse" by a female.

Criticisms of the song stem from a reading of the lyrics not as the "mouse" wanting to stay and only putting up a token protest for the sake of appearance as supported by lyrics such as "The neighbors might think...", "My father will be pacing the floor", but instead as the "mouse" genuinely wanting to leave but being stopped by the "wolf" being coercive in his pleading with the mouse. Examples of questionable lyrics in this regard include, "I simply must go", "The answer is no", "I've got to go home".[4] There is also the line "Hey, what's in this drink", which with current interpretation could be taken to sound suspiciously like the "mouse" has been drugged.[5][6][7] Many movies, at the time the song was written, used a similar line to refer to someone behaving in a different manner than they expected and blaming it on the alcohol.[8]

Even as a kid I thought this song was skeevy as hell.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

This has wrapped around to amazing again :allears:

They may taste nasty, but that first frog is clearly tripping balls.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

It's a good thing those frogs have massive pointed teeth for all those plants they eat. Earth herbivores have it all backwards!

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Those frog men are making perfect the enemy of the good. No reason they can't colonize this planet as a fixer-upper and kill the human race and plant their own sea crops.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

But what about all that salt?!

gently caress it, everybody colonise a swimming pool.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This has looped around from "awful twist" to "amazing" again because it seems like the frogmen are pissed that they got their asses kicked and can't handle Earth, so they're basically going "well we didn't want your planet anyway, in fact we're pacifists who never wanted to fight you and totally didn't try to eat an old woman's dog, so there".

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Seems to me it's the frogmen who are being too salty here :downsrim:

Fingerpori

Close enough. Technically, in Finnish the sign could be read as "mattress inflatable with electricity", and the clerk was warning that "it's full of electricity!"

Fok_it reminds us that not all lives were created equal

Something I should have posted yesterday

And also this masterpiece

That random capitalized You was intentional. It's a politeness thing and actually sort of interesting but... later.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 23, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Volume posted:

Holy poo poo! I think Stuart is my favorite character in this strip now.
I don't know, I like the Delman's DM (green polo guy) if only because he seems to be the only person with any sense of humor around here. Too bad he's barely around.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Older Mandrake continues to be just loving amazing :allears:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Lee Falk totally anticipated Doobies Dawgs.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Pakled posted:

Everett True
March 4 & 5, 1918

Everett True to the Era

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

AxeManiac posted:

Everett True to the Era

So wrong, but terribly correct.

Skippy (September 30-October 2, 1926)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Lee Falk totally anticipated Doobies Dawgs.

THAT'S SAD.

You tell 'em Skippy.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Holy Molé

Bradbury Road
This is probably the most obscure comic strip I've ever posted, because it was never published. Before striking big with "Pearls Before Swine", Stephan Pastis submitted a number of other strips to syndicates, all of which got rejected. One of them was "Bradbury Road". Here's the synopsis:

quote:

Bradbury Road is the story of Gus, a ten year old boy who is befriended by Rat, a cynical rodent who gnaws his way through the wall into Gus' room. Gus, the child of divorced parents, lives with his mother and very rarely sees his father. Reserved and slightly awkward, he spends a lot of time in his own room. For those times when Gus is not around, Rat talks with Jingles, a stuffed, court jester doll that lives on a shelf in the boy's room.

Yes, this is the same Rat that later became a star in "Pearls". Anyway, since this strip was rejected, there are only 22 sample strips available. Here's the first five.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Ew, the teddy bear is coercing her for sex :(

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Pidmon posted:

Ew, the teddy bear is coercing her for sex :(

Maybe it wants to just play pirates with her?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

Bradbury Road
This is probably the most obscure comic strip I've ever posted, because it was never published. Before striking big with "Pearls Before Swine", Stephan Pastis submitted a number of other strips to syndicates, all of which got rejected. One of them was "Bradbury Road". Here's the synopsis:

Yes, this is the same Rat that later became a star in "Pearls". Anyway, since this strip was rejected, there are only 22 sample strips available. Here's the first five.

I think I can see why this one didn't take off.

Apartment 3-G

:pray: Please be a human head... please be a human head... please be a human head...

Pros & Cons

I think I might have this...

Hey, don't try to tell me how to be. :mad:

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

SlimWhiskey
Jun 1, 2010

FAPPO!!!!

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Julet Esqu posted:

I think I can see why this one didn't take off.

Apartment 3-G

In possibly the Frank Bolleiest of illustrations, Tommie is driving a 1962 Scout.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (December 5th 2006)

Doonesbury

F-Minus

FoxTrot

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Someone's getting some steel put through them tomorrow.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Here is the conclusion to the Big Time story.

Spider-Man (Dec. 21 - 31, 2008)

The headline that was printed the next day was 'Webbed menace damages train station clock".

That big change was that the Spidey storyline was reset back to when Peter was in college. It proved to be so popular that it was dropped after five months and explained away as being a dream

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Aardmania posted:

The headline that was printed the next day was 'Webbed menace damages train station clock".

That big change was that the Spidey storyline was reset back to when Peter was in college. It proved to be so popular that it was dropped after five months and explained away as being a dream

I really liked the Bigtime storyline, so thank you for posting it!

Still, I wish he had his own outfit, like clown-9.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Diana. Dude. Did you forget who your boyfriend is? Let the man do his job.

Brick Bradford

Judge Parker

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

I absolutely adore everything about the middle panel.

Big Ben Bolt

:3:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Judge Parker

Where is this alternate universe where judges in the seventies started handing down lighter sentences and how might I arrive at this place?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
"Too salty" drat near killed me. And I can remember liking The Born Loser as a kid. And Lio came back.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Aardmania posted:

See you next adventure!

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

What really happened to Nelson.

Retail

When I saw Mina at the beginning of the week I thought something was going to happen but false alarm.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Just disable your audio processes Bleeker.

Dustin

Dustin's mom Everyone in Dustin is a very deep and multi-dimensional character.

On the Fastrack

You're the most life-deprived drone around here, but that could also be attributed to being a programmer.

Safe Havens

Is Safe Havens competing with K&K for ability to induce nausea now? And worse yet Palmtop is watching.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

JaggerMcDagger posted:

I really liked the Bigtime storyline, so thank you for posting it!

Still, I wish he had his own outfit, like clown-9.

Hey, he got a Peter Gabriel song. That's not nothing.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I hope it turns out that's not a robot and it's actually Tony Stark in there flying around wasted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aardmania posted:

But Maria Lopez was never seen again. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGX7AHO_mU
No kidding.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They may taste nasty, but that first frog is clearly tripping balls.

That is clearly sea weed he's munching on there.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

A deadly game of cat and also cat.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Good morning gang, it's cold and icy here today, which is entirely unusual for my location. The good thing is I'd already planned to work from home today, so it's a win for me anyway.

Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

Hey, leave off, he just wants to feel pretty and the societal norms make him feel shame for it!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Oh settle down Jane, I'm sure they're just playing cards. :v:

Non Sequitur

I love Cap'n Eddie. There's a guy like him that I talk to occasionally at our local bar. Well, he's not a fisherman -- he drives a cement truck, but, whatever. He's convinced that the reason we have Global Warming is because of the space program. "You see all that fire? That's what caused it. You plain just can't have that much fire without screwing up the planet." The more I drink, the more plausible his "theories" become. He's also convinced that his neighbor's water well is somehow tied to his septic system because when the neighbor is watering his garden, his toilet makes booming sounds. Yep. :v:

Heavenly Nostrils is late once again.

Kliban

Beautiful. That cat's face... :lol:

9 Chickweed Lane 1/24/2003

Brooke's definitely got some tongue action going on in panel number two.

Zits

Body modifiers are sooooo emotional sometimes.

Kevin & Kell

But but.. What does fur thickness have to do with fe.. never mind. :ughh:

Nemi

:3: Thanks, Nemi. Toasted cheese is sounding really good for lunch, now. I have some Gouda on hand too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

All work and no play makes Owen a dull boy. Actually he was dull to begin with.

• Locked thread