Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

HopperUK posted:

wonder if Booker's been shifting universes since before we knew it was possible.

Or Columbia itself is multidimensional city, with all these Lutece tech around. Those "baloons" could be doing much more than just levitating :eng101:

About voxaphones, I like it much better when you listen to them directly, but could you please add subtitles, because most of the time I watch these videos with low sound, and their voices are not as clear as yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Disco Infiva posted:

I have a feeling that the Lutece twins are actually the same person from different dimensions, but one is male and one is female. I hope it was not too obvious :ohdear:

When you and Elizabeth are on the gondola heading up to Emporia and the Luteces are doing their weird teleporting trick, if you look closely when Robert is painting Rosalind, you'll see that he's actually painting himself.

xenotrope
Apr 20, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I wonder if Booker's been shifting universes since before we knew it was possible.

If that were the case, I think he would have to had experienced a nosebleed at a point in the game earlier than when he and Elizabeth go through the first big tear and they discuss the schizophrenic guards. Booker could have had this happen very subtly, possibly while being reminded that everything he does ends in blood.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

xenotrope posted:

If that were the case, I think he would have to had experienced a nosebleed at a point in the game earlier than when he and Elizabeth go through the first big tear and they discuss the schizophrenic guards. Booker could have had this happen very subtly, possibly while being reminded that everything he does ends in blood.

:siren:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One touch I love about this game that I'm surprised that nobody mentioned is the food that gives salts. If you look, all the things that give you salts aside from the actual salt philtres and salt dispensers are stimulants. Coffee gives you salts, cigarettes give you salts (at the cost of health), soda pop gives you salts and if I recall correctly, candy bars might too? And everything that removes your salts to give you health is alcohol, which is a depressant.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

xenotrope posted:

It's like I'm posting back on page 28 again. Good times... :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SirSamVimes posted:

One touch I love about this game that I'm surprised that nobody mentioned is the food that gives salts. If you look, all the things that give you salts aside from the actual salt philtres and salt dispensers are stimulants. Coffee gives you salts, cigarettes give you salts (at the cost of health), soda pop gives you salts and if I recall correctly, candy bars might too? And everything that removes your salts to give you health is alcohol, which is a depressant.

Its the same in bioshock.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Past spoilers! :mad: Also, really looking forward to the next update when we get to peek at... ugh it's not really spoilers but I guess it is spoilers. We're going to see an interesting location next episode.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Arglebargle III posted:

Past spoilers! :mad: Also, really looking forward to the next update when we get to peek at... ugh it's not really spoilers but I guess it is spoilers. We're going to see an interesting location next episode.

Everything still remains a spoiler. EVERYTHING.

Also, there's one part that I'm looking forward to Sundowner reaching, if only because I realized I missed it in my own play through.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its the same in bioshock.

I always took the Booze Hound tonic at the first opportunity. I can't be stopping in the middle of throwing bees at people to make sure I'm not going to eat something that's going to reduce my capacity to throw bees at people.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

SirSamVimes posted:

So "salts" is just cocaine.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Dr. Buttass posted:

I always took the Booze Hound tonic at the first opportunity. I can't be stopping in the middle of throwing bees at people to make sure I'm not going to eat something that's going to reduce my capacity to throw bees at people.

I DON'T NEED CLEAR VISION TO THROW MORE BEES :byodood:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Forgall posted:

So "salts" is just cocaine.

Or you know ammonia salts which are the cure-all for fainting lady syndrome. You're not a fainting lady are ya?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Poor Luteces. Gripped the most common problem of time travel and without even Dr. Streetmentioner to set them straight.

(Robert Lutece either "willing should on-haven told" Rosalind Lutece that Booker and Elizabeth would come, or "on-shall had willen tell" her, depending on whether time travel prevented him from doing so, or would enable him to do so.)

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
My theory so far is Rosalind is Elizabeth's mother - maybe I'm taking the 'Comstock's bastard' line too literally, but it would explain (well, in vidya game logic) why Elizabeth can open the tears.

I figured the 'nothing seperates us but a chromasome' line was pretty definite proof Robert/Rosalind are different versions of the same person? I'm guessing she did some sciencemagic that bound them even closer together in order to save his life. Funny how being born different sexes in that time period didn't change them at all, though. Nope, not thinking about it, this game has proved you need brain turned off to enjoy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

petrol blue posted:

My theory so far is Rosalind is Elizabeth's mother - maybe I'm taking the 'Comstock's bastard' line too literally, but it would explain (well, in vidya game logic) why Elizabeth can open the tears.

I figured the 'nothing seperates us but a chromasome' line was pretty definite proof Robert/Rosalind are different versions of the same person? I'm guessing she did some sciencemagic that bound them even closer together in order to save his life. Funny how being born different sexes in that time period didn't change them at all, though. Nope, not thinking about it, this game has proved you need brain turned off to enjoy.

Hey. Infinite universes.
Look hard enough and be lucky enough and you will find a person who is exactly you but opposite gender.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Dinictus posted:

I DON'T NEED CLEAR VISION TO THROW MORE BEES :byodood:

This guy gets me.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Booker and Elizabeth are en route to the Comstock house but before we do, Booker is going to stop off to meet another Comstock in-law.

Hi folks! Have an update. :P

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
This game is creepy at times.

Well... most times. The fact that Elizabeth looks like a disney princess makes this an odd combination.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

:stare:

Welp. Wasn't expecting that.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I like Booker's reaction to the ghost, it's almost deadpan.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ok... was NOT expecting them to use the whole time/death duality thing that way, but it's clever - I like it. Although, it does give rise to the question; why don't the twins suffer from a similar condition? They were digging up persumably their own graves... hell, why doesn't EVERYONE in this hellish sky-city suffer from it? If Lizzie can access any point in any universe, then it stands to reason that there's a universe where that person is dead... unless I'm missing something.

Also, sure, Lady Comstock may have been in a sealed container to prevent decomposition, but wouldn't there be some desiccation of the body, thus rendering fingerprinting useless? Tho. that's really a pretty minor quibble

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Samovar posted:

Ok... was NOT expecting them to use the whole time/death duality thing that way, but it's clever - I like it. Although, it does give rise to the question; why don't the twins suffer from a similar condition? They were digging up persumably their own graves... hell, why doesn't EVERYONE in this hellish sky-city suffer from it? If Lizzie can access any point in any universe, then it stands to reason that there's a universe where that person is dead... unless I'm missing something.

The difficulty with multiple dead versions only seems to affect those around the tears, so not necessarily everyone. Not that it's entirely consistent, though, from what we've seen. Animating Lady Comstock's ghost seems to have been something Z. Comstock was able to manipulate Elizabeth into doing, maybe.

I imagine the dead hand as a key is a homage to System Shock (where a severed head was used in a retina scanner), but they managed to make something interesting out of it with the sudden ghost.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The more of this game I see the more I love the Lutece twins. There's a Gametrailers interview with the voice actors floating around Youtube that's funny as hell (careful though, as usual potential spoilers abound).

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Samovar posted:

Also, sure, Lady Comstock may have been in a sealed container to prevent decomposition, but wouldn't there be some desiccation of the body, thus rendering fingerprinting useless? Tho. that's really a pretty minor quibble

Yes, even in an airtight container, the natural flora of her body would have decayed her body fairly rapidly, I assume.
On the other hand, we are dealing with a society that has learned how to freeze atoms in a state of quantum suspension. It's possible that they just froze her body in time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

HopperUK posted:

The more of this game I see the more I love the Lutece twins. There's a Gametrailers interview with the voice actors floating around Youtube that's funny as hell (careful though, as usual potential spoilers abound).

Their grave-digging dialogue was the best. They just keep getting more interesting.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LashLightning posted:

I like Booker's reaction to the ghost, it's almost deadpan.
To be fair to Booker, had I experienced that whole sequence as he did, I can assure that is how I'd react to Lady Comstock's ghost.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It really feels like at this point Booker is just out of fucks to give about all the strange poo poo going on. "welp, we have a ghost now." :iiam:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This part. This part right here is where my 1999 mode playthrough stopped dead (har har har) and turned into a prolonged process of experimentation.

After 20 minutes, had gotten annoyed.

After 30 minutes, I had discovered the lunacy of Charge.

After 30.5 minutes, my 1999 mode playthrough blazed back to life and continued uninterrupted until the credits. :getin:

Sundowner, please upgrade Charge and combine it with some melee boosting Gear. People need to see it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Soylent Pudding posted:

It really feels like at this point Booker is just out of fucks to give about all the strange poo poo going on. "welp, we have a ghost now." :iiam:

He's on a floating city with a girl who can open rifts in space-time being guided by twins that flit thru various dimensions at will

A ghost is probably the least-weird thing he's encountered.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

MA-Horus posted:

He's on a floating city with a girl who can open rifts in space-time being guided by twins that flit thru various dimensions at will

A ghost is probably the least-weird thing he's encountered.

At least he has probably heard of ghosts before.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Fedule posted:

Sundowner, please upgrade Charge and combine it with some melee boosting Gear. People need to see it.

Haha will do. I think now is a good point in the game to start messing with power combos. I was just getting bucking bronco+devils kiss good because it's absolutely devastating to anything that gets in it's way but there are a good few combinations that are fun as hell to play.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, not going to go down that rabbit hole of plot speculation here. But I think i can do something a little bit more interesting by explaining some rather subtle things you may not have seen.

Let's start with the best recurring thing in the series, that code at the beginning. In all of the Looking Glass Studio games, there is always going to be a code somewhere that will always contain 451, in homage to Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, and as the original code/lock number to the Looking Glass Studios's offices. The original code to leave the first room in System Shock to get out of the cyber-neurosurgery lab and into the rest of the Medical level on Citadel Station was 451. The first code in System Shock 2 as you're leaving Cryo-Recovery A to get into the Medical Deck on the Von Braun is 45100, and it follwed suit in Bioshock 1, 2, and now Infinite here, albeit significantly later than where it was, compared to the prior games. That 451 has showed up in a lot of other games inspired by Looking Glass and Irrational as well, and to a lesser extent, Ken Levine himself (I cannot remember the name of the game, but a recent indie game did that as well, saying Levine was a great influence in their game: Of course a secret passcode in that game that doesnt show up anywhere is going to be 451.)

Secondly, this entire area, Emporia? This was where the E3 Premiere level was. My how it has changed. It's almost an entirely different game from what it was in 2011. I don't know if it was budget restrictions, lack of staff, or just plain running out of time. 2 years of development losses could remove all of those things, but such is life. Back then, it looked like you had a much more convincing plot: get the girl to safety, find refuge, and you had the ability to avoid combat outright, if you so chose. Hell, you could choose your upgrades. They even had an anachronistic as all hell Japanese War Tuba to call enemy reinforcements!

And finally, I've noticed that a bunch of people don't really understand how Return To Sender works. I don't blame them, the description is kind of wonky. It's Columbia's version of Telekinesis, and is the probably the best vigor in the game. Fink got a few parts of the design wrong, though: you can't really catch enemy rockets or volley gun fire (yet), but any other projectile, including your own explosive weapons will charge the shot and essentially become Baseball #77 from the beginning of the game that kills EVERYTHING. And the part that people really don't get because the game doesn't outright say it is that you are completely immune to all damage while you are charging the shot or throwing it.

Return To Sender also has some awesome Gear bonuses, like Overkill activating every time an enemy dies from the charged shot, and Urgent Care is still recharging your shield while you have Return To Sender Active.

Looking forward to this next bit. We are now literally Ghostbusters.

EDIT:

Kangra posted:

I imagine the dead hand as a key is a homage to System Shock (where a severed head was used in a retina scanner), but they managed to make something interesting out of it with the sudden ghost.

The best thing about this quote is that someone else found Abe Ghiran's severed head in a game full of equally identical severed heads (unless you open up the menu and try and view it as an item). He's one of the first few NPCs in System Shock's Audio Logs, and all that retinal scanner that you need his eyes for is a completely optional, empty room. There's a hidden wall in the back to find an Earthshaker grenade and a Level 2 Bio-Hazard Suit, but by the time you can even unlock that room and get to the suit, you will have already found the Level 3 Bio-Hazard Suit, sneakily hidden in plain sight about twenty seconds from the elevator in the Engineering deck.

I think Booker and Liz might have just walked into a trap. It's kind of hard to figure out what happens next against someone who can see the future, and always get it right. The ambush where Booker got stabbed was only a day off of when Comstock "predicted" that he'd arrive there, according to that voxophone by the woman who identified that Elizabeth and Booker to set up the rest of that hit-squad.

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 24, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Wait, what the hell just happened?

I did not expect this. Interesting.

Also, why did Comstock expect this?

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Away we go again:

1. I've asked this before, but what the hell is the point of the Songbird? If you want to build a guardian designed to keep a young woman captured, why build a fifty-foot sparrow made of iron that can only enter buildings by physically ripping them apart? The motorized patriots, even the handymen can me made to make sense if you squint your eyes at them, but I cannot fathom why anyone would ever build the Songbird, especially not for the purpose they put it to.

2. On the flip side, I don't understand why this game gets so much flak for its combat sections. Or rather perhaps I do see it, but whenever the massive open arenas come up, I remember why that makes no sense. I'm not saying this is the best shooter I've ever seen, but a number of these sections look pretty amazing to me. Flying about trying to dodge a handyman chasing you across the ziplines while under fire from machine guns is extremely cinematic, and certainly beats the gameplay from Chest-High-Wall-Simulator 15.

3. I can't tell if it's just the smoke from the warfare, but have we finally arrived at nighttime? How symbolic.

EDIT: Actually, it seems we're entering stormy weather. How even more symbolic.

4. Booker's line where he asks what the Songbird did to Elizabeth was delivered in an odd way. It may be the first time I've heard him actually put real emotion into what happens to Elizabeth. He's tried to calm her down before, but I always got the sense that it was just so that he could continue with his mission, or out of a simple sense of basic courtesy, not because he really cared. Perhaps that's changing at last.

5. I'm certain I heard one of those snipers say "Your family's next" after shooting at Booker. Keep it classy, Vox.

6. I think that phonograph song is "Button up Your Overcoat" by Helen Cane, which is from 1929, and thus once more anachronistic. But then we know where those are coming from now.

7. Sadly, I don't recognize anyone from those portraits, paint-spattered or otherwise. Hope someone does.

8. The three faces on what I assume is the Comstock House looked originally like the three apostles of Columbia (Washington, Jefferson, Franklin), but apparently they're a three-headed colossal image of Comstock himself. Which is considerably more disturbing.

9. Obviously, the song coming through the rift near the graveyard was Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindi Lauper, but the phonograph in the same room was playing a retooled version of Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" from 1985. I suppose this broken building is where the "magic" happened.

10. Jeremiah Fink mentioned that while his brother was listening to future-music, he was watching a "biologist". What biologist? And to what purpose? :iiam:

11. If there's some kind of symbolism to the twinned open graves for Lutese, I don't get it. Is this emblematic of how Lutese's science led her to her grave?

12. :frogsiren:

What the gently caress was that? I'm afraid the Luteses didn't make much sense, though I grasped the Schroedinger's element to all this, but now we've actually got ghosts? And Comstock installed a ghost-producing device powered by Elizabeth's energy in Lady Comstock's tomb? What the hell is going on here?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

GenHavoc posted:

Away we go again:
I've asked this before, but what the hell is the point of the Songbird? If you want to build a guardian designed to keep a young woman captured, why build a fifty-foot sparrow made of iron that can only enter buildings by physically ripping them apart? The motorized patriots, even the handymen can me made to make sense if you squint your eyes at them, but I cannot fathom why anyone would ever build the Songbird, especially not for the purpose they put it to.

The same point as big daddies if I had to guess. The director or whoever decides these things probably saw the cool concept art and made the writers jam it into the story somehow. It's not a bioshock game if it doesent have a big guy in a suit making noise everywhere it goes. :shepface:

Iretep fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 24, 2014

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm sure the Songbird has a less destructive way into the tower. Didn't that birdcage-elevator sort of thing seem like something it could use? It probably only tears holes in buildings when its charge is being actively stolen away by the False Shepherd.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Wait, what the hell just happened?

I did not expect this. Interesting.

Also, why did Comstock expect this?

He's the Prophet. He probably "foresaw" it using Lutece's technology.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sundowner, could you please show us whats it like to jump down from Columbia? I am interested if you will fall down and die, or there will be invisible walls/Elizabeth opening a tear under you and teleporting you back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Disco Infiva posted:

Sundowner, could you please show us whats it like to jump down from Columbia? I am interested if you will fall down and die, or there will be invisible walls/Elizabeth opening a tear under you and teleporting you back up.

If I recall correctly the screen just goes white for a bit and you just teleport back to where you jumped from. Even before you get to meet Elizabeth.

• Locked thread