Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Parallax Scroll posted:

I keep seeing conflicting information online about the "spread technology" jobs you can have your councillors do. I've seen pages that say:

- Always put your dude in your capital city, because tech spreads from the capital and this will make it go faster
- Always put your dude on the opposite end of your demesne from your capital, because he acts like a second capital and makes tech spread from both locations
- Always put your dude in the capital of a far away kingdom, like Constantinople, because it makes the technology in that place appear in your own capital

Which one is it?

At the beginning of the game, put your spymaster in a high-tech foreign area to spread its technology to your capital, and your other dudes in your capital to increase the rate at which it spreads.

Once your capital is caught up in tech, use your dudes in other desmense provinces, so tech spreads from your capital to those provinces. A province bordering your capital is ideal, since tech spreads both between neighboring provinces and between desmense provinces, so they'll boost both rates. You should probably still keep the spymaster abroad, so you get the sweet +50 points event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sending a councillor (chaplain, marshall or steward) to spread tech will increase the rate that tech is spread to that province. So if the little gears are moving (indicating that tech is growing) when you hover over that province in the technology view, your councillor will increase the rate of that increase.

quote:

Can't say I'm too happy about this announcement. Was rather hoping about fleshing out of current game mechanics or adding a new province screen showing buildings and stuff.

For me CK II is foremost an RPG and in any RPG I need to identify with my character. Being German I enjoy to play european medieval ruler and to a lower degree nordic pagans, but I'm not interested in non-european content. :(

Hmm yes this makes sense and is completely not racist. I as a modern city dwelling European who plays video games can totally identify with human sacrificing raiders who lived in filthy huts, since they have the same skin colour as me.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Glad they're still expanding CK2, but completely disinterested in this expansion, so I'll sit it out. I'm perfectly happy with CK2's current boundaries.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The other council members act like a second capital whereever you put them.
I suppose putting them in your capital to improve tech might make it spread faster, too.

No they don't.

They give that province a percentage boost to all research already being done in the province. So if you, say, have a county next to your capital and you're a 20% chance yearly, then placing a councilor in that province that gives +100% will boost that to 40%.

It does not let you benefit from your spymaster, it simply speeds up the 'Demense' 'Neighbors' and 'Behind' Bonuses.

So they should only be in your capital if your spymaster is stealing tech from a very highly tech province (had a game where the byzantine emperor had a son with 34 stewardship, 38 learning, suddenly (read: 50 years later) Constantinople had 18/22/17 for its tech levels while my norse capital had 10/8/8. Placing down a spymaster and all my councilors had my capital at 15/16/16 before my ruler died.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I was just about to make a post saying that, if they do go for a contiguous map, it's going to be tricky to keep there from being too much interaction between India and Europe, without making it outright impossible. But, then I realized that Muslim realms' natural tendency to blob, and then later the hordes, should work as a natural buffer. So the Muslims will have an easier time of going between Europe and India, but that's historically accurate.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Trogdos! posted:

I think the third at least is wrong - it's placing your spymaster to steal tech makes your capital technically adjacent to said foreign province, thus possibly speeding up tech spread. As far as I know it's the first option that's correct but I have no proof.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The spymaster is the only one that can benefit from foreign tech.

The other council members act like a second capital whereever you put them.
I suppose putting them in your capital to improve tech might make it spread faster, too.

nutranurse posted:

I think the way spread technology works now is that the province you put your council member in is the province that will "spread" its technology to the surrounding provinces. You can create, essentially, technology 'corridors' by spreading tech to a neighboring province, switching your council member that that new province, and spreading the tech to all the new surrounding provinces, and then putting your council member on another province to continue the chain.

I never do this. I generally park my tech-spreading guy in my capital and pray to the RNG that things get spread throughout my kingdom in a timely fashion.

Non Sequitur posted:

At the beginning of the game, put your spymaster in a high-tech foreign area to spread its technology to your capital, and your other dudes in your capital to increase the rate at which it spreads.

Once your capital is caught up in tech, use your dudes in other desmense provinces, so tech spreads from your capital to those provinces. A province bordering your capital is ideal, since tech spreads both between neighboring provinces and between desmense provinces, so they'll boost both rates. You should probably still keep the spymaster abroad, so you get the sweet +50 points event.

marktheando posted:

Sending a councillor (chaplain, marshall or steward) to spread tech will increase the rate that tech is spread to that province. So if the little gears are moving (indicating that tech is growing) when you hover over that province in the technology view, your councillor will increase the rate of that increase.

KittyEmpress posted:

No they don't.

They give that province a percentage boost to all research already being done in the province. So if you, say, have a county next to your capital and you're a 20% chance yearly, then placing a councilor in that province that gives +100% will boost that to 40%.

It does not let you benefit from your spymaster, it simply speeds up the 'Demense' 'Neighbors' and 'Behind' Bonuses.

So they should only be in your capital if your spymaster is stealing tech from a very highly tech province (had a game where the byzantine emperor had a son with 34 stewardship, 38 learning, suddenly (read: 50 years later) Constantinople had 18/22/17 for its tech levels while my norse capital had 10/8/8. Placing down a spymaster and all my councilors had my capital at 15/16/16 before my ruler died.

Suffice it to say, I don't think anyone really knows how technology spread works in CK2.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DStecks posted:

I was just about to make a post saying that, if they do go for a contiguous map, it's going to be tricky to keep there from being too much interaction between India and Europe, without making it outright impossible. But, then I realized that Muslim realms' natural tendency to blob, and then later the hordes, should work as a natural buffer. So the Muslims will have an easier time of going between Europe and India, but that's historically accurate.

Yeah, and if for some reason Christendom has a prolonged presence in the middle east, then sure there'll be more interaction with India, but that would have happened IRL too in the supremely unlikely event that the Crusader states had thrived and expanded.

I still kind of wish that diplomatic actions (particularly marriages) were more firmly limited by distance unless you're a major power, but eh.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
If you give all your non-heir children some titles, your technology is spread evenly upon succession. I don't see what the problem is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Suffice it to say, I don't think anyone really knows how technology spread works in CK2.

No it's not that complicated. Technology in any province will increase if it is higher in an adjacent province. Provinces in the same demesne or provinces where your spymaster is stealing tech also count as adjacent provinces. Sending a councillor to research tech will increase the rate of technology spread to the province you send them to.

DStecks posted:

If they add a fog of war effect for diplomacy and make using ships a lot more dangerous over long distances then that would be pretty perfect I think.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

nutranurse posted:

There's no real disagreement here. Spymaster makes a foreign province count as a neighbor province. The other guys increase the rate of spread from neighbor provinces.

There's some dispute about the best place to put the non-spymaster advisors, but it's not that complicated. If your entire country is way behind the most advanced areas (867 Scandinavia, compared to Byzantium), the bonus you get from increasing your spymaster spread is way greater than from increasing the spread within your country, especially since for half the techs your capital's level is the only one that matters. Once your capital is mostly caught up with the rest of the world, boosting your spymaster is less important, and you should spread tech into your other provinces.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Huh, well thanks for clearing that up for me then.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

marktheando posted:

If they add a fog of war effect for diplomacy and make using ships a lot more dangerous over long distances then that would be pretty perfect I think.

Oh God please let them add ship battles and the ability for ships to siege coastal counties that would BE SO AWESOME

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

I still kind of wish that diplomatic actions (particularly marriages) were more firmly limited by distance unless you're a major power, but eh.

They have increased the "must not marry infidel" penalty to be like "desires better alliance", i.e. you simply cannot marry a Muslim woman as a Christian unless her liege is not a Muslim himself. So I guess it will probably be pretty rare to marry any Indian brides as an Irish count for example.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 23, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

hellsjudge posted:

Oh God please let them add ship battles and the ability for ships to siege coastal counties that would BE SO AWESOME

I'm surprised they haven't added ship battles yet, weren't they in the game pre-release but removed since they couldn't get them working right? I think I heard that somewhere anyway.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Parallax Scroll posted:

I keep seeing conflicting information online about the "spread technology" jobs you can have your councillors do. I've seen pages that say:

- Always put your dude in your capital city, because tech spreads from the capital and this will make it go faster
- Always put your dude on the opposite end of your demesne from your capital, because he acts like a second capital and makes tech spread from both locations
- Always put your dude in the capital of a far away kingdom, like Constantinople, because it makes the technology in that place appear in your own capital

Which one is it?

My understanding (and if any of this is wrong I'd appreciate a correction) is as follows:

Tech is GENERATED in your capital province. If you're the King of Ireland, and your capital is Dublin, then any new technology you buy via the tech menu appears only in Dublin.

Tech spreads FROM a province that has it TO a province that doesn't. It spreads only between connected provinces - that is to say, Dublin can spread tech to Kildare or Ossory but not to Ulster.

The Marshal, Court Chaplain, and Steward all have missions to increase tech spread; those missions increase the spread of tech INTO the province they are assigned to, so that if you have a tech in Dublin and you want it to spread to Ossory, you would put the relevant advisor in Ossory.

(note: the above paragraph is the bit I'm least confident about)

The Spymaster's "Study Technology" mission creates an artificial connection for technology spread - that is to say, if you put your Spymaster in Damascus to study the technology there, then for purposes of tech spread, Damascus is considered to be connected to your capital - so that Damascus' tech will spread to your capital via the normal tech spread mechanics.

Thus, if you place your Marshal, Steward, and Chaplain in your capital and tell them to increase tech spread, and then place your Spymaster in a technology-rich province, the technology will spread from that province into your capital (because of the Spymaster) at an increased rate (because of the other advisors' missions).

In essence, your advisors act like "tech magnets" and pull tech towards themselves. Your spymaster is the only one who can take tech from elsewhere and "push" it in your direction; the others all pull.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It'll be interesting to see if they try to implement a "Silk Road" mechanic, since that was a real historical example of interaction between Europe and India.

And yeah, even if they don't add any kind of distance system, "must not marry infidel" will pretty easily put the kibosh on Indian brides in Ireland.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

They have increased the "must not marry infidel" penalty to be like "desires better alliance", i.e. you simply cannot marry a Muslim woman as a Christian unless her liege is not a Muslim himself. So I guess it will probably be pretty rare to marry any Indian brides as an Irish count for example.

Yeah it's really annoying to try and marry someone off as a pagan because the game still lumps all the various Slavic-Finnic-Norse-Suomensko-Whatever pagans into one group, so you get pages and pages of people who will never even consider getting hitched.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

My understanding (and if any of this is wrong I'd appreciate a correction) is as follows:

Tech is GENERATED in your capital province. If you're the King of Ireland, and your capital is Dublin, then any new technology you buy via the tech menu appears only in Dublin.

Tech spreads FROM a province that has it TO a province that doesn't. It spreads only between connected provinces - that is to say, Dublin can spread tech to Kildare or Ossory but not to Ulster.

The Marshal, Court Chaplain, and Steward all have missions to increase tech spread; those missions increase the spread of tech INTO the province they are assigned to, so that if you have a tech in Dublin and you want it to spread to Ossory, you would put the relevant advisor in Ossory.

(note: the above paragraph is the bit I'm least confident about)

The Spymaster's "Study Technology" mission creates an artificial connection for technology spread - that is to say, if you put your Spymaster in Damascus to study the technology there, then for purposes of tech spread, Damascus is considered to be connected to your capital - so that Damascus' tech will spread to your capital via the normal tech spread mechanics.

Thus, if you place your Marshal, Steward, and Chaplain in your capital and tell them to increase tech spread, and then place your Spymaster in a technology-rich province, the technology will spread from that province into your capital (because of the Spymaster) at an increased rate (because of the other advisors' missions).

In essence, your advisors act like "tech magnets" and pull tech towards themselves. Your spymaster is the only one who can take tech from elsewhere and "push" it in your direction; the others all pull.

This is all correct, except you missed out that provinces in the same demesne also count as being connected even if they aren't adjacent on the map.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

marktheando posted:

This is all correct, except you missed out that provinces in the same demesne also count as being connected even if they aren't adjacent on the map.

They don't count as being connected, they have a separate lesser bonus for demense.

You might get +12% neighbors bonus on a county next to your capital, but only 6% on a county that isn't next to it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

They don't count as being connected, they have a separate lesser bonus for demense.

You might get +12% neighbors bonus on a county next to your capital, but only 6% on a county that isn't next to it.

Huh ok I stand corrected.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Following the tech talk, how can I lower my ahead penalty for a certain tech? Do I just have to raise everything evenly?

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

DStecks posted:

And yeah, even if they don't add any kind of distance system, "must not marry infidel" will pretty easily put the kibosh on Indian brides in Ireland.

There should be Christians in India during the CK2 time period, though, so religious differences alone probably won't be enough to completely prevent it.

On the other hand, completely ridiculous ahistorical outcomes are half of the reason most people seem to play CK2, so is it really that big a deal? (And even in vanilla, an Irish duke marrying an Ethiopian is plenty silly enough already).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hellsjudge posted:

Following the tech talk, how can I lower my ahead penalty for a certain tech? Do I just have to raise everything evenly?

You can't. If I understand it correctly then the ahead penalty is for being ahead of the time. That is, for each year there is an average global tech level, and if you exceed that level you get the ahead penalty. So you will just have to live with it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

"Tell me more about the mythical province of Hindustan!" :allears:

Super pumped for this, though I hope that there are enough new mechanics to distinguish the setting from the middle east. We are basically wandering into new and heretofore thought impossible levels of ugly borders.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

hellsjudge posted:

Wait.

The ahead penalty isn't for having technology better than other countries; it's for having technology better than history. In a few game years the penalty will be reduced all by itself; in the meantime, consider spending points on other technologies.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I wonder if they're thinking about doing this as a stand-alone- where you can only buy Rajas of India rather than the base game, for example, but in response you don't get to play any of the original content or the DLC that requires the original game. It has the added bonus of allowing future DLC to flesh out various Indian aspects, rather than DLC for DLC.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
I am taken aback at how awesome today's announcement is, pretty excited over here

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sky Shadowing posted:

I wonder if they're thinking about doing this as a stand-alone- where you can only buy Rajas of India rather than the base game, for example, but in response you don't get to play any of the original content or the DLC that requires the original game. It has the added bonus of allowing future DLC to flesh out various Indian aspects, rather than DLC for DLC.

I was just thinking the same thing. India has a rich enough history to do just the subcontinent without needing to tie it into Europe. But if they wanted to do a standalone the whole Romance of the Three Kingdoms thing in China would probably be the best place to make a first standalone DLC. Either way, it is nice to see Paradox broadening their horizons, even if the new stuff will not be for everyone, they will still probably expand their fanbase.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mickey McKey posted:

Either way, it is nice to see Paradox broadening their horizons, even if the new stuff will not be for everyone, they will still probably expand their fanbase.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Rajas will be the first major commercially-released video game to be set primarily in India. So, major props to Paradox.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Rajas will be the first major commercially-released video game to be set primarily in India. So, major props to Paradox.

If by 'primarily', you mean 'on the same level as Europa Universalis, ect.', sure :v:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

If by 'primarily', you mean 'on the same level as Europa Universalis, ect.', sure :v:

I know what you're saying, but the content in Rajas is entirely focused on India, whereas EU is focused on Europe the whole world. So while CKII won't be focused primarily on India, Rajas will be.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DStecks posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book_(video_game)

:colbert:

And I'm sure there must have been others.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

I know what you're saying, but the content in Rajas is entirely focused on India, whereas EU is focused on Europe the whole world. So while CKII won't be focused primarily on India, Rajas will be.

Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom :v:

But yeah, I think it's the first commercial game to focus on historical India.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So how do you think Thuggees will be implemented, just events, a whole heresy? Cause I could totally be up for the thug life.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Licensed games don't count.

If the only other games set in India were movie tie-in games on the SNES, that's loving sad.

TaurusTorus posted:

So how do you think Thuggees will be implemented, just events, a whole heresy? Cause I could totally be up for the thug life.

There'd better be an event where I get to tell someone to prepare to meet Kali... in hell!

vvvvv

nutranurse posted:

Really, let's not kid ourselves. As a series Europa Universalies has been about Europe primarily.

:thejoke:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

DStecks posted:

I know what you're saying, but the content in Rajas is entirely focused on India, whereas EU is focused on Europe the whole world as seen through a deterministic lens that sees Europe über alles.

Really, let's not kid ourselves. As a series Europa Universalies has been about Europe primarily. This upcoming CK2 DLC is the first bit of gaming that gives the subcontinent more than a passing glance, and that's really freaking cool.

Kudos, pdox!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DStecks posted:

Well there are these, but it looks like most of them are sports games or racing games, or only have a section based there.

Either way, I am super excited for this, you have no idea.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Check out my historically accurate mod where most of the time the only decisions you can take are "Sit Around in poo poo and Filth" or "Buy New Rushes for Smoke-clogged Wooden Hall" (+100 prestige, -25 gold, 25% chance of gaining the trait "Lice Infested")

Why do you have to diss the legitimately best mod for CK2 :mad:

Just can't handle the historical accuracy.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

arhra posted:

There should be Christians in India during the CK2 time period, though, so religious differences alone probably won't be enough to completely prevent it.

On the other hand, completely ridiculous ahistorical outcomes are half of the reason most people seem to play CK2, so is it really that big a deal? (And even in vanilla, an Irish duke marrying an Ethiopian is plenty silly enough already).

I'd really like to see a Marco Polo event chain for Europeans. There's an event about Marco Polo returning to Venice in vanilla, but it doesn't do anything beyond adding flavor text. A Jeanne D'Arc style event that gives a highly proficient merchant would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Heck, maybe even open the event chain so that some ambitious son of your merchant family wanders off eastwards and comes back Marco Polo. That'd be tons of fun.

• Locked thread