Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

prom candy posted:

I don't think it's like that at all. I'm very pro-gay marriage (my aunt had one of the first gay marriages in Canada, it was a lot of fun) but I would be okay with government dropping the term 'marriage' from their language and just saying "any two adults can form an exclusive domestic partnership."

On top of everything else that's been brought up, this is logistically drat near impossible. There's no universal body that can just find and replace the word "marriage" with "domestic contract" and make everything hunky dory. Marriage is pretty much ingrained into our civil codes all the way down to local government level for more than a hundred years. Any attempt to create a separate but equal(!) legal status that wasn't marriage would take decades at best and would be a legal nightmare (much like the current state of gay marriages and civil unions are today).

Forget everything else, as a practical matter it's completely infeasible.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

What do you mean, "new?" WELFARE QUEENS BUYING STEAK AND LOBSTER has been a cornerstone of Republican politics since Reagan at least.

I always thought that was just hyperbole and not actually referring to welfare fraud.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Dyz posted:

I can easily see this type of thing becoming the new conservative rallying point against food stamps.

"Look at these poors committing welfare fraud then getting to stay in their hotel prisons!"

"Filthy Poors buying Steak/Lobster with are taxes" has been the standard rally cry against Food Stamps/EBT since it was introduced.

E: Beaten, badly.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I find it strange that when people yell about welfare fraud that they are essentially pissed that the crime can't be stopped before it happens. Yea the dude committed fraud, but he was caught pretty quickly and is subsequently being punished for it like he should. Apparently that doesn't matter though. Yet if you try and stop gun violence before it happens then you are a Constitution hating shithead.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

SaltLick posted:

I find it strange that when people yell about welfare fraud that they are essentially pissed that the crime can't be stopped before it happens. Yea the dude committed fraud, but he was caught pretty quickly and is subsequently being punished for it like he should. Apparently that doesn't matter though. Yet if you try and stop gun violence before it happens then you are a Constitution hating shithead.

Because giving money to poors isn't in the Constitution, but my toys are constitutionally recognized so gently caress you all.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Aeka 2.0 posted:

There is a serious lack of the use of "thug" with Beiber's arrest.
The morning comedy radio show was bending over backwards in defending the use of thug against that quarterback and citing the definition. I don't understand why these people don't see that context is king. White people just don't get called a thug.

Eh...Fascists are called "jack booted thugs" people who hate unions call them "union thugs" and that's usually white people just the "bad" kind. I'll give you just straight up thugs usually has racist implications though.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

quote:

VET'S BACKLASH AGAINST OBAMA,

A movement has been started by our armed forces, to get out the vote in 2014. They are organizing themselves, but this can be done by all of us. The President, the Commander in Chief, has made the Rules of Engagement (ROE) so difficult, that our troops are often killed before they can even get permission to fight. Nothing has been done to stop our troops from being murdered by Afghanis they are training, either. Now, the President wants the US to sign on to the UNs International Criminal Court (ICC), which would allow the UNs ICC to arrest and try US troops for War Crimes, without the legal protections guaranteed under US Law, and from which there is no appeal. The President, with his Democrat control of the Senate, has nearly all the power. If the Non-Establishment can take back the Senate in 2014, our troops can once again be protected from unnecessary danger. Please consider this, and send it on to your mailing lists. Thank You and Semper Fi,
Interestingly enough, when GWB was president you heard about the military deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan almost daily. With Obama in the White House, the mainstream media has been strangely quiet. ---More than 1,000 American soldiers have lost their lives in Afghanistan in the last 27 months. This is more than the combined total of the nine years before. Thirty died in August. During the last month, over 50 additional NATO and US servicemen have been murdered, inside jobs by those who are hired to be a force for good in Afghanistan .

The commander in chief is AWOL. Not a peep, although he ordered the White House flag flown at half-staff for the Sikhs that were killed. There is a deep disgust, a fury, growing in the ranks of the military against the indifferent incompetence of this president.

It has taken on a dangerous tone. No one knows what to do about him, but the anger runs deep as the deaths continue with no strategic end in sight to the idiocy of this war. Obama has had 4 years to end this futile insanity, during which time he has vacationed, golfed, campaigned, and generally ignored the plight of our men and women in uniform. But, there is now a movement afoot in the armed services to launch a massive get out the vote drive against this president. Not just current active duty types, but the National Guard, Reserves, the retired, and all other prior service members. This is no small special interest group, but many millions of veterans who can have an enormous impact on the outcome of the November election if they all respond.
The million military retirees in Florida alone could mean an overwhelming victory in that state if they all show up at the polls. It might not keep additional U.S. troops from dying between now and November, but a turn out to vote by the military against this heart breaking lack of leadership can make a powerful statement that hastens a change to the indifference of this shallow little man who just lets our soldiers die.

Veterans: Please forward to your lists.

This looks like someone copied one crazy email into the middle of another. Unfortunately I can't reproduce the wacky font or coloring so you'll have to imagine random parts are in different fonts and/or highlighted in yellow. Please forward to your lists.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Aeka 2.0 posted:

There is a serious lack of the use of "thug" with Beiber's arrest.
The morning comedy radio show was bending over backwards in defending the use of thug against that quarterback and citing the definition. I don't understand why these people don't see that context is king. White people just don't get called a thug.

Silly child, that is because white people can't be thugs. If they were, they'd be black. :D

Besides, everyone knows Beiber is just a kid trying to make it, man. He's an artist and poo poo!

Seriously I wish he'd be treated like every poor guy ever caught with a DUI but it will never happen.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I always figured thugs must have come across as really nice and friendly guys, how else would they sneak the handkerchief around your neck?

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh...Fascists are called "jack booted thugs" people who hate unions call them "union thugs" and that's usually white people just the "bad" kind. I'll give you just straight up thugs usually has racist implications though.

The Freeper definition of Union Thugs seems to imply black people since they often make claims that Obama is using Affirmative Action to fill all public positions with Amish Ferals.

I have stared too long into the abyss.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Deific Presence posted:

The Freeper definition of Union Thugs seems to imply black people since they often make claims that Obama is using Affirmative Action to fill all public positions with Amish Ferals.

I have stared too long into the abyss.
You could replace every word in half of their posts with a racial slur, conjunctions and prepositions included, and it would mean about the same thing.

The other half would require a more advanced reading, such as replacing them with homophobic slurs, references to communists' anuses, or a mixture of the above.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Also, nobody has ever read John Galt's speech in its entirety.

You have no idea how happy I was to check and see that galtse.cx is still up and running. :allears:

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Thanks everyone for the responses w/r/t "getting the government out of marriage". After a few posts what it came down to was the term "Marriage" and that he had no issues with same-sex couples having the same rights, but takes issue with those rights being under the umbrella of "Marriage", which I really don't get, but eh.

Content:

Different person, super religious and also super crazy. He's completely beyond reproach so I don't even both arguing with him. OP is the same person in every post. Sorry for the name changes Social Fixer doesn't automatically change them as you scroll back on a person's timeline. His wall is a treasure trove of craziness.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
51 countries? Offhand, the only countries I can remember that restrict citizenship to Muslims are Saudi Arabia and the Maldives. I'm probably forgetting a few more but getting that list up to 51 must involve some extremely creative interpretation of the word "illegal".

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Plom Bar posted:

The offhand lol at the end really sells it. Like a talisman protecting his reprehensibility from examination.

If you say "lol" at the end of your hateful statements, then anyone who calls you out on it just can't take a joke. It's the law.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I find it hard to believe that every 5 minutes statistic too.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Wojtek posted:

That's about 100,000/year. The statistic seems to come from the Catholic Church, here, but they mention "credible research" without citing it so who the gently caress knows.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Wojtek posted:

Well the Copts kinda get the poo poo end of the stick, but I doubt the perrson who believes that 5 minute thing doesn't care/know about miaphysite/African Orthodox sects

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

peak debt posted:

51 countries? Offhand, the only countries I can remember that restrict citizenship to Muslims are Saudi Arabia and the Maldives. I'm probably forgetting a few more but getting that list up to 51 must involve some extremely creative interpretation of the word "illegal".

What would you call a country in which it is illegal to try and mission, or in which Christians are oppressed? Citizenship is one aspect of legality, not the be all end all.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

What would you call a country in which it is illegal to try and mission, or in which Christians are oppressed? Citizenship is one aspect of legality, not the be all end all.

It said 1 is murdered every 5 minutes just for believing in Jesus, not "trying to mission". :colbert:

Sarcastic nitpicking aside, it's wrong to oppress people for their religious beliefs anywhere, Christian or otherwise. I take it from the collection of posts shown that this person probably thinks America is a place where Christians are also heavily oppressed for their beliefs though.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 24, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

prom candy posted:

I don't think it's like that at all. I'm very pro-interracial marriage (my aunt had one of the first gay marriages in Canada, it was a lot of fun) but I would be okay with government dropping the term 'marriage' from their language and just saying "any two adults can form an exclusive domestic partnership." Then we can let individual churches decide what is and isn't a marriage. I'm just as happy with the government saying marriage is for everyone but I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with changing the language as long as the ultimate goal is to make one set of rules that applies to all adults equally.

Oh, ok. Well if language is not important, how about we say that marriage can only exist withing one's own race. Don't worry, we'll have "interracial unions" that confer all of the same benefits of marriage so we'll have one set of rules that apply to all adults equally.

Sound good? It's equal, right?

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

If supporting marriage between a man and a women means cliched cursive fonts, faded jeans, and a goofy fuckin scarf, then no thanks. At least they don't look nearly as WASP-y as some others I've seen pop up on my Facebook wall. Also, oddly, these posts are the only ones that the "Textbook Fox News/Glenn Beck Republican Guy" I know gets called on from his, probably, equally conservative friends.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Marriage should be between a man and a woman. Or a man and a man. Or a woman and a woman. None of these are mutually exclusive.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

It said 1 is murdered every 5 minutes just for believing in Jesus, not "trying to mission". :colbert:

Sarcastic nitpicking aside, it's wrong to oppress people for their religious beliefs anywhere, Christian or otherwise. I take it from the collection of posts shown that this person probably thinks America is a place where Christians are also heavily oppressed for their beliefs though.

Yeah nitpicking the statistics aside, Christian oppression is a real issue in some countries, it's just...not this one.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah nitpicking the statistics aside, Christian oppression is a real issue in some countries, it's just...not this one.

Remember, fundamentalist conservatives are theocrats who want to impose their religion on America by force of arms. It's impossible for them to conceive of the idea that someone might just want to live and let live. To them, any move toward accepting gay people's right to exist unmolested is really just a smokescreen for the true agenda of turning all churches into gay orgy-n-abortion houses.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

peak debt posted:

There are of course plenty of Islamic countries were apostasy, blasphemy, and non-Islamic proseletyzation are illegal, and places where being openly Christian is like painting (another) bullseye on yourself (not that living in, say, Afghanistan is great for your life expectancy no matter what your religion), but I don't think there are many where merely being Christian is actually against the law, at least not in the sense that the image is trying to imply.

Of course, the other thing that they left out is that in the places where they're going to actually be anti-Christian, they're also going to be equally against Buddhism, atheism, etc., but that doesn't fit into the narrative of Christian persecution. Religious persecution is a legitimate problem in some parts of the world, but (1) it applies to more than just Christians, and (2) it is virtually nonexistent in the US (and when it does exist here, it's done by Christians at least as much as it's done to Christians).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Hey, the muslims get to do it, why don't we?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

hamster_style posted:

Thanks everyone for the responses w/r/t "getting the government out of marriage". After a few posts what it came down to was the term "Marriage" and that he had no issues with same-sex couples having the same rights, but takes issue with those rights being under the umbrella of "Marriage", which I really don't get, but eh.

If they really believed this they would make up their own word. They like to pretend that they're just some religious sect of grammar Nazis, but it's really about making things separate and unequal. Because religious and government marriage are already separate. Religions can already decline to marry whomever they want regardless of government approval. The government can marry whoever it wants without the help of a clergyman. Even if they got sole use of the word "marriage", and complete disassociation of religious and legal marriage, they wouldn't be happy. They would either rail against whatever the government issued, or whine about how it's invalid and their type of marriage is somehow better.

Even if the separated terms stuck, it would eventually just fall into the parlance of using the word "marriage" to replace "religious marriage ceremony" and current "legal marriage" would be replaced with its new term. The meanings and connotations would be absolutely no different in the long run. The net effect would be zero. Then they would demand that he government should recognize religious marriage officially, and we'd be right back where we started.

They want to take sole possession of the connotations and sense of legitimacy that come with the word "marriage". But those aren't attached to the word, they're attached to the act and institution of marriage itself. "Keep government out of marriage" is ultimately a bizarre red herring that makes little practical sense in reality. It's fighting for a result that no one would be happy with.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 24, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Like most Libertarian-speak, "I want the government to keep out of X" means "I want to put X totally under the control of local bigots".

See education, jobs, marriage, home ownership, etc.

VVVVV
In those other cases they just don't care that ending anti-discrimination laws will let powerful elites exclude oppressed classes, so it amounts to the same thing.

Unless you meant anarchist Libertarians but that's not really the same thing.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 24, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Like most Libertarian-speak, "I want the government to keep out of X" means "I want to put X totally under the control of local bigots".

See education, jobs, marriage, home ownership, etc.

That's true if they're Paulian, but in few other cases. Unless by "local bigots" you mean "business owners" in which case we totally agree.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
It's even simpler; when libertarians talk about the evils of government, they mean federal government. State government deciding black folk aren't people, local LEOs going Boss Hogg, corporations taking over a town, that's all fine. Feds trying to stop that, though? The worst sort of statist intervention.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

It's even simpler; when libertarians talk about the evils of government, they mean federal government. State government deciding black folk aren't people, local LEOs going Boss Hogg, corporations taking over a town, that's all fine. Feds trying to stop that, though? The worst sort of statist intervention.

No, you're getting sloppy. Ron Paul cobbled all that states rights poo poo together so he could run as a Republican and because he is a white supremacist. Most of his movement pals don't believe states or sheriffs should have power either, it should always be RoadCo or MailCo or DoctorCo.

e: VVV and this is even sloppier

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 24, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

darthbob88 posted:

I fear that's too sympathetic a reading. A Libertarian objecting to the evils of government in a given area simply means that they don't control the government in that area. The beauty of libertarianism is its incoherence and elasticity allows anything you dislike to become a violation of fundamental rights or freedoms, while anything you do like becomes a bulwark preserving those same rights/freedoms. Government, businesses, private individuals- anything can be the enemy under libertarianism, so long as it is an obstacle between the speaker and what they want at that moment in time.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 24, 2014

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

God's name isn't "God":ssh:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

Libertarians only rail against federal government because they see it as the largest obstacle to their idea of freedom. They don't like the idea of any government (At best some might support the idea of "minimal" government, without defining it). If in a hypothetical scenario the federal government dissolved and we all became feuding nation-states, they would probably start railing against those.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Libertarians only rail against federal government because they see it as the largest obstacle to their idea of freedom. They don't like the idea of any government (At best some might support the idea of "minimal" government, without defining it). If in a hypothetical scenario the federal government dissolved and we all became feuding nation-states, they would probably start railing against those.

You're really describing Anarchism more than Libertarianism. Between the two, Anarchism has the advantage of being internally consistent and having a stronger backing literature.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TerminalSaint posted:

I have met very few Christians that actually know that their God's name is YHWY, so this doesn't surprise me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

^^ God has many names. In both Judaism and Islam he has DOZENS. YHWH is just the most common in hebrew texts.

Discendo Vox posted:

You're really describing Anarchism more than Libertarianism. Between the two, Anarchism has the advantage of being internally consistent and having a stronger backing literature.

Well yeah the point I was making that libertarians aren't consistant. They rail against the convenient authority figure but ultimately would rather it be corporate.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

TerminalSaint posted:

His name is Jesus Christ. Go go gadget Trinity.

Also, using the Lord's name in vain is another way of saying blasphemy. So things like saying "Jesus tittyfucking Christ," "God drat it," etc would count as well.

Let's not be obtuse here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RagnarokAngel posted:

You're describing anarcho-capitalism, which is a kind of libertarianism. Some libertarians, like my dad, are minarchists - they believe that a minimal amount of government is necessary, but they often disagree about which functions of government are legitimate. My dad, for example, defines the proper role of government as doing anything a private company couldn't do better. For example, private security firms are demonstrably worse at protecting all citizens than public police forces, so we should use the latter instead of the former. He also believes in a social safety net, but only for "emergency situations."

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 24, 2014