Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Awww drat, my bad, thanks. I must've forgotten about it because the title always made me imagine it as some sort of CD forum game and not a thread to actually help people with my exact situation.

Heads up though, it's probably Dark City. Sets from that movie were reused in The Matrix, so that might have been why you were thinking of that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Heads up though, it's probably Dark City. Sets from that movie were reused in The Matrix, so that might have been why you were thinking of that, too.
Awww snap, I hate to post in here again after my earlier stupidity but much thanks you actually got it and saved my brain...no one had tossed this out in the actual movie-guessing thread yet and somehow I'd forgotten that bit in Dark City completely.
Here's the visual I was unable to connect to a movie title for anyone curious or those who've understandably forgotten it given how brief and out of nowhere it kinda is (but visually striking enough to leave a mark in my brain I guess). The image is a Dark City spoiler, obviously.
http://i.imgur.com/NxDZPo2.png
Love that movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

I've seen both more than a few times, can you be specific with your beefs?

I think I must have been misinformed but someone in CD said Leon sleeps with Natalie Portman's (12 y/o) character and I thought it was a euphemism for sex but apparently they just sleep together? It might have been the part where they said "he regretted it the morning after" that actually had me thinking he raped a girl in an action comedy. :doh:

It would have ruined the humorous nature of the kid having a harmless crush on the crusty old hitman for me if there were a version where that was implied though.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
In the international cut it's arguably implied although it could be easily read as they just slept in the same bed together. It's basically a french film so *welp*

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

syscall girl posted:

I think I must have been misinformed but someone in CD said Leon sleeps with Natalie Portman's (12 y/o) character and I thought it was a euphemism for sex but apparently they just sleep together? It might have been the part where they said "he regretted it the morning after" that actually had me thinking he raped a girl in an action comedy. :doh:

It would have ruined the humorous nature of the kid having a harmless crush on the crusty old hitman for me if there were a version where that was implied though.

They sleep in the same bed once, but beyond that there's nothing to imply they have sex. I always read the scene as part of the whole "interacting with Natalie Portman makes him more normal," because that's the only time in the movie he sleeps in a bed, the rest of the movie he sleeps in a chair facing the bedroom door with a gun in his hand.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've seen the international cut of Leon a bunch of times, and while it does draw some attention to Natalie Portman's budding sexual attraction towards Leon, I never for one second thought it implied they actually had sex.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
It's a stretch, you basically have to be primed to interpret it that way. When the international cut was first floating around on DVD people were saying the implication was there but when I saw it my reaction was ehhhhhhhhh maybe. I think people gum it up because Mathilda's sexual attraction is clearly present and is a motivation for her but Leon is more playing the part of a gormless parental figure and at this point her presence, as has already been pointed out, is "humanizing" him to be an actual caretaker.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

syscall girl posted:

Yeah, as everyone's saying, if you watch it, it's pretty clear that nothing actually happens. There's a lot more that's removed than that single scene, all of which is really good stuff that fleshes everything out more. Leon's whole story of why he came to America is worth it by itself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yes, the objection is not that it implies that he had sex with Matilda, the objection is that there is any kind of sexual tension at all between a man in his 40's and the pubescent girl he's taking care of.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

It's a stretch, you basically have to be primed to interpret it that way. When the international cut was first floating around on DVD people were saying the implication was there but when I saw it my reaction was ehhhhhhhhh maybe. I think people gum it up because Mathilda's sexual attraction is clearly present and is a motivation for her but Leon is more playing the part of a gormless parental figure and at this point her presence, as has already been pointed out, is "humanizing" him to be an actual caretaker.

The rest of the stuff is just cut for pace.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I've only ever seen the international version and I sure as poo poo didn't get that implication. I'd almost worry about somebody that did.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Face/Off might be a good fun timey action movie, but that was the first time I ever noticed terrible special effects in a movie. I was only a young teenager at that age but the absolutely woeful use of stunt doubles in that movie basically ruined it for me.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

xcore posted:

Face/Off might be a good fun timey action movie, but that was the first time I ever noticed terrible special effects in a movie. I was only a young teenager at that age but the absolutely woeful use of stunt doubles in that movie basically ruined it for me.
Imagine someone saying that they couldn't enjoy Blade Runner (1982) because of the obvious use of stunt doubles.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I saw Room 237 last year and thought it was pretty entertaining, especially as a Kubrick fan. Now, a local independent theater near me is going to do that thing where they show The Shining forwards and backwards at the same time. I'm wondering if this is really worth paying to see or if it's just going to be a mess. Opinions?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Binowru posted:

I saw Room 237 last year and thought it was pretty entertaining, especially as a Kubrick fan. Now, a local independent theater near me is going to do that thing where they show The Shining forwards and backwards at the same time. I'm wondering if this is really worth paying to see or if it's just going to be a mess. Opinions?

It would be fun if you enjoy drugs.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mescal posted:

It would be fun if you enjoy drugs.

You're wrong.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Binowru posted:

Wait, what's the point of doing that? It's the first time I've heard of that.

e: googled. Makes for some cool still images but I would totally not want to sit through an entire showing of that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Showing The Shining forward and backward simultaneously is just as pointless as most of the "theories" in Room 237. Maybe it's interesting enough for the short time devoted to it in the doc, but to pay a theater to watch it in full? Don't waste your money and time.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The Shining is already first and foremost about film interpretation. Room 237 is really interesting but all of them miss the 'actual point' and a lot of them are outright crazy.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think my biggest gripe with Room 237 is that it misses so much of the actual stuff that could be discussed about The Shining. Apply the whacko theories to something vapid like Fast and the Furious, and you have a much more interesting doc. But seeing this nonsense discussed about a movie that's ACTUALLY full of depth and meaning and full of academic potential, is just a frustrating experience.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Indian genocide theory is the only one that holds any water.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Indian genocide theory is the only one that holds any water.

I agree with that, but I also think that Room 237 is more about psychotic weirdos and how easy it is to come up with theories about a film's meaning and find confirmation than it is about academically analyzing The Shining.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If you want crazy, but also really well done Shining fan theory you have to go with Kubrick's Gold Story. I don't know if I agree that Kubrick was a gold bug but that was an insightful piece, right up until it practically started saying BUY GOLD NOW! That was a little weird. 237 pales in comparison.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I agree with that, but I also think that Room 237 is more about psychotic weirdos and how easy it is to come up with theories about a film's meaning and find confirmation than it is about academically analyzing The Shining.

That's exactly right. Which is why they could have picked almost literally ANY movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

caiman posted:

That's exactly right. Which is why they could have picked almost literally ANY movie.

Didn't they need to pick one where they could find people with crazy opinions about it? Would that be as practical with The Fast and the Furious?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

Didn't they need to pick one where they could find people with crazy opinions about it? Would that be as practical with The Fast and the Furious?

Plus you'd also need another movie with an eccentric director who's larded his own wacky ideas throughout the film. The Shining is perfect for it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Well obviously they needed a movie whose fans have wacky opinions. But my point is that, given the utter baselessness of most of the interpretations, in theory the same documentary could be made about any movie (who knows, there may be some hardcore Fast and the Furious conspiracy theorists out there).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

The only reason alcohol was not publicly stated as a factor in Paul Walker's death was that you can't press DUII charges against people who like like Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen. The crash scene was littered with just a really improbable amount of Corona bottles that had spilled out of the car. :tinfoil:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

caiman posted:

Well obviously they needed a movie whose fans have wacky opinions. But my point is that, given the utter baselessness of most of the interpretations, in theory the same documentary could be made about any movie (who knows, there may be some hardcore Fast and the Furious conspiracy theorists out there).

Right, but in practice do you know that it could have actually been made about any other movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The fact that The Shining works so well as the subject is proof that the movie's not about whether the theories presented are plausible.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right, but in practice do you know that it could have actually been made about any other movie?

In practice, no I guess not. It's just unfortunate that the movie that has enough wacko theories about it to fill an entire documentary on those dumb theories, also happens to be a masterpiece for many very legitimate reasons.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
e: done it again

echoplex fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 23, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Kubrick is great entirely because, due to his famous meticulousness, you can see any reading you want - because Kubrick must have put it there!!!! - When the reality is that this is simply the nature of films. Before this, I think the biggest artist that people were willing to 'read depth' into was Shakespeare.

Key word there is willing. Meaning and intention don't correlate. Quick thought experiment: What if the movie you're watching was made by Kubrick instead, and came out exactly the same?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Quick thought experiment: What if Kubrick was a horse, but his movies were the same?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That would have been a really really really really really really really amazing loving horse.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the Shining is a really loving gorgeous movie and if your 'documentary' is going to be 95% clips from a movie, it's good to pick a pretty one.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Hbomberguy posted:

Kubrick is great entirely because, due to his famous meticulousness, you can see any reading you want - because Kubrick must have put it there!!!! - When the reality is that this is simply the nature of films. Before this, I think the biggest artist that people were willing to 'read depth' into was Shakespeare.

Key word there is willing. Meaning and intention don't correlate. Quick thought experiment: What if the movie you're watching was made by Kubrick instead, and came out exactly the same?

I tend to agree. It's kind of like the film version of Paraidolia, combined with some good ol' confirmation bias.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. Probably gonna skip it!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I just saw Contact, I've been meaning to see it for a long time, but never found the chance. I was really with the whole thing until the end, like what was with the ending?

Why did the alien act like her father? I understand looking like him to make her comfortable, but he was touching her, saying he missed her. And I was expecting some truth bombs, but it's nothing, just a hello, good bye? And if her equipment recorded 18hrs in a few seconds, doesn't that back up all her stories? What is the need to discredit her?

I guess I should be taking away that science is like faith too? I really don't get that father scene. I remember this was based on a book, does the book have a more satisfying ending?

And are there any other movies like Contact? I just saw both The day the Earth Stood Still movies, and enjoyed them both, so I looking or some more alien stuff.

Femur fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 26, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Femur posted:

I just saw Contact, I've been meaning to see it for a long time, but never found the chance. I was really with the whole thing until the end, like what was with the ending?

Why did the alien act like her father? I understand looking like him to make her comfortable, but he was touching her, saying he missed her. And I was expecting some truth bombs, but it's nothing, just a hello, good bye? And if her equipment recorded 18hrs in a few seconds, doesn't that back up all her stories? What is the need to discredit her?

I guess I should be taking away that science is like faith too? I really don't get that father scene. I remember this was based on a book, does the book have a more satisfying ending?

And are there any other movies like Contact? I just saw both The day the Earth Stood Still movies, and enjoyed them both, so I looking or some more alien stuff.

I haven't really watched Contact in a long time but I just assumed the aliens rooted around in her subconscious and just went, huh well this is the guy she is most comfortable hearing big important stuff from and we'll pretend to be him while knowing she knows it's not really him and gently say, 'yeah humanity, you could read these instructions good work *pat on the head* catch you later'.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I remember the book ending being a little more comprehensive. Ellie doesn't go alone, she goes with a group of people of different nationalities that represent humanity, and they compare/contrast their separate experiences when sequestered alone with the alien(s). If I remember correctly, the wormhole system and space station are explained in more detail. There's a really neat part that involves the nature of Pi also that encapsulates the science/faith dichotomy present throughout the book.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Femur posted:

There's some elements of those films in Solaris (1972), Forbidden Planet and A.I. Artificial Intelligence.