Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has anyone ever watched any of Hulu's original programming? I tried to watch the Wrong Mans but the fat dude was so grating in a Josh Gad kind of way that I couldn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They don't even list themselves under Popular Networks... c'mon Hulu, you're allowed to lie like that. It's fine.

Half the shows in their 'Hulu Originals' aren't even financed by them, they're British shows. Most of which nobody would bother importing (Pramface & Whites both looked terrible, Mongrels is probably one of the worst things ever shown on TV) but they also have things like The Thick of It which is amazing. And looks like The Booth at the End too which I kept meaning to try.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah, I forgot about Booth at the End. It's pretty decent, but it's literally just dudes talking. Xander Berkely is great though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BrooklynBruiser posted:

The Daily Show is free on Comedy Central's website. :confused:

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's also free on normal Hulu too...

But I can't watch it on my television without major headaches.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Mongrels started out good, but it took a very odd turn into Daily Mail territory. Pramface just seemed spiteful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Mongrels started out good, but it took a very odd turn into Daily Mail territory. Pramface just seemed spiteful.

Based on the episode guide, I saw 1x04. That was enough, and the idea it could've gotten even worse is horrific and yet unsurprising at the same time. I hope they burnt the puppets so they can never be used again.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Random Stranger posted:

But I can't watch it on my television without major headaches.

Yeah, one of the annoying things about Hulu is still that you have to actually subscribe to Plus in order to use the app on the PS3 and whatnot, even just to watch content that'd be free on regular Hulu. (At least, that's as I recall -- the app name is Hulu Plus, not just Hulu, anyway.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can get a chromebook for $250 that has HDMI output and you can use normal free hulu with it. So, it's getting easier to put that sort of content on a TV. Sure, it would take you 3 years to recoup the cost of buying the hardware, but it's an option if you already need some sort of portable computer.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What's the TVIV consensus on Doctor Who? I just started up and I'm really enjoying it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Only virgin nerds like it!!!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think there is a consensus. Some love it while others, like me, think it's toss.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Great chaps, all of them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

zoux posted:

Only virgin nerds like it!!!

oh poo poo wait, I didn't know!!!!!!!!!!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
There really isn't a consensus. It has its fans, and it has its detractors (sometimes those are the same people!).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

BrooklynBruiser posted:

There really isn't a consensus. It has its fans, and it has its detractors (sometimes those are the same people!).

I think it makes for pretty great popcorn entertainment. It's doesn't really ask anything of you and you can just sort of turn your brain off and have fun.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Austrian mook posted:

What's the TVIV consensus on Doctor Who? I just started up and I'm really enjoying it.

The TVIV consensus is a lovely metric for judging anything because most of the people here have varied and dreadful taste. As for Doctor Who, it encompasses hundreds of episodes over decades of series and generations of programme makers, so it's a bit of a broad question. For my money, anything from the modern era that is before Matt Smith's run is toss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah as far as "consensus" goes, there are a handful of posters whose tastes align with mine and I tend to give their recommendations higher credence.

Also the opposite of whatever Irish Joe likes is a pretty good metric.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Doctor Who is a fine show to turn on for 45 minutes and be entertained but the idea that it has any sort of higher worth is ridiculous :itwaspoo:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if i'm being honest there's very little of modern DW i'd recommend to your average television fan. it's just something you should try and stay away from at this point or the fandom will eat you alive. if you're easily impressed and don't care about things making sense the matt smith seasons should be right up your alley

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

bobkatt013 posted:

Will it be a sitcom with him and Hitler as roommates?

Oh jesus tittyfucking christ you need some loving love for this poo poo. OH my god. OH MY GOD, I love you right now and Whose Line comes back in March.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Paradox Personified posted:

Oh jesus tittyfucking christ you need some loving love for this poo poo. OH my god. OH MY GOD, I love you right now and Whose Line comes back in March.

I'm guessing it was a reference to this very real show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9jJx0NSjw

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm guessing it was a reference to this very real show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9jJx0NSjw

Bill Cosby and Hitler is a joke sitcom from Whose Line.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It was more to this Whose Line segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmF70amuZ4g

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah gotcha, I've not seen that much of the US version as it didn't get aired over here as much as our one.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Hence my idiotic run-on sentence. Context clues? Who needs context clues?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Yeah as far as "consensus" goes, there are a handful of posters whose tastes align with mine and I tend to give their recommendations higher credence.

Also the opposite of whatever Irish Joe likes is a pretty good metric.

Is Irish Joe still posting?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Guess who the thread title is in reference to?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There's a little Irish Joe in all of us.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

hcreight posted:

Guess who the thread title is in reference to?

Rapey Joe Stalin

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just do the opposite of what any of the Joes say and you'll be fine. Can we put this in the OP, actually?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Bown posted:

Just do the opposite of what any of the Joes say and you'll be fine. Can we put this in the OP, actually?

Is Hunter xyzabc still relevant enough to throw in a second allusion?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Colin Jost to replace Seth at the Weekend Update desk on Saturday Night Live.

Thank goodness, I don't know who this guy is, but he's bound to be funnier than Cecily Strong.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/meet-colin-jost-saturday-night-liveweekend-update-new-co-anchor.html

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

WTF, Cecily Strong is awesome and the only reason not to fast forward through WU.

e: Oh, he's only becoming co-anchor and not replacing her outright. Good.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Joramun posted:

WTF, Cecily Strong is awesome and the only reason not to fast forward through WU.

Cecily is great as a performer on the show, but she doesn't work behind the desk, at all. I can't stand her behind the desk, especially next to Seth, who's one of the best all time anchors that bit has ever had.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I just watched the UFO episode of Supernatural with the X-Files parody opening, and I'm disappointed that a show that has Mitch Pileggi as a recurring character didn't feature him at all for that episode.

bull3964 posted:

You can get a chromebook for $250 that has HDMI output and you can use normal free hulu with it. So, it's getting easier to put that sort of content on a TV. Sure, it would take you 3 years to recoup the cost of buying the hardware, but it's an option if you already need some sort of portable computer.

Orrrr, you could spend $30 (or less if you can find it on sale / SA Mart) and get Chromecast.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The season premiere of King of the Nerds is on tonight but the old thread has been archived.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thwomp posted:

There's a little Irish Joe in all of us.

I feel violated :gonk:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

raditts posted:

Orrrr, you could spend $30 (or less if you can find it on sale / SA Mart) and get Chromecast.

You'd still need to pay for Hulu+ at that point unless you were tab casting from another computer and that isn't always smooth.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Rarity posted:

I feel violated :gonk:

"She could not tell whether Irish Joe was inside of her, or her inside of him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

...! posted:

The season premiere of King of the Nerds is on tonight but the old thread has been archived.

I'm the OP of the old one and I might be able to throw together something passable before it airs.

• Locked thread