Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

DStecks posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Rajas will be the first major commercially-released video game to be set primarily in India. So, major props to Paradox.

Champion of the Raj was set in India and it came out like 20 years ago. :colbert:

There's also Unrest, an RPG set in India that was kickstarted last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Had an itch to play CK2 today so I started up a game as a lowly count in north Germany, intending to slowly build up an empire through having a massive army of sons to give land / marry off etc. Result: I have six daughters in a row then I die at the age of 42. Errr, ok. Then I start a new game as a count in Lotharingia. I gave up when I had my 4th daughter in a row AND my wife died in child-birth. Sometimes this game can be a real rear end in a top hat.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm playing an Ironman game as the Pope's vassal, House Orsini. Unfortunately, the Pope (and my character's uncle) just raised the Crown Authority to Absolute, which prevents me from waging war. I cannot create any factions.

Is there anyway to lower the crown authority without declaring independence?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ovenmaster posted:

Had an itch to play CK2 today so I started up a game as a lowly count in north Germany, intending to slowly build up an empire through having a massive army of sons to give land / marry off etc. Result: I have six daughters in a row then I die at the age of 42. Errr, ok. Then I start a new game as a count in Lotharingia. I gave up when I had my 4th daughter in a row AND my wife died in child-birth. Sometimes this game can be a real rear end in a top hat.

50% in RNG terms generally means "gently caress you."

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Golden Horde's armies just spawned in Hungary and the king there immediately capitulated.

EDIT: Welp, Vienna's gone.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ovenmaster posted:

It was worse in CK1. The sex of a child wasn't a 50/50 chance, it was weighted based on the ratio of living male and female characters in the world to keep the numbers of the sexes balanced. At the start of the game, of course, there are a lot more men than women. It would take a couple decades to even out and get something approaching 50% chance. If your ruler was getting on in years to begin with and didn't already have a son, then good loving luck continuing your dynasty with nothing but daughters and no option for matrilineal marriage.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

My understanding (and if any of this is wrong I'd appreciate a correction) is as follows:

Tech is GENERATED in your capital province. If you're the King of Ireland, and your capital is Dublin, then any new technology you buy via the tech menu appears only in Dublin.

Tech spreads FROM a province that has it TO a province that doesn't. It spreads only between connected provinces - that is to say, Dublin can spread tech to Kildare or Ossory but not to Ulster.

The Marshal, Court Chaplain, and Steward all have missions to increase tech spread; those missions increase the spread of tech INTO the province they are assigned to, so that if you have a tech in Dublin and you want it to spread to Ossory, you would put the relevant advisor in Ossory.

(note: the above paragraph is the bit I'm least confident about)

The Spymaster's "Study Technology" mission creates an artificial connection for technology spread - that is to say, if you put your Spymaster in Damascus to study the technology there, then for purposes of tech spread, Damascus is considered to be connected to your capital - so that Damascus' tech will spread to your capital via the normal tech spread mechanics.

Thus, if you place your Marshal, Steward, and Chaplain in your capital and tell them to increase tech spread, and then place your Spymaster in a technology-rich province, the technology will spread from that province into your capital (because of the Spymaster) at an increased rate (because of the other advisors' missions).

In essence, your advisors act like "tech magnets" and pull tech towards themselves. Your spymaster is the only one who can take tech from elsewhere and "push" it in your direction; the others all pull.

Thanks, this cleared up my confusion.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

DrSunshine posted:

Buddhist Roman Empire.

Norse Buddhists conquering the world.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
So that brief stint I had as a dirty Cathar a couple reigns ago had a consequence.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I'm a few pages late to the party on the DLC thing but as a huge Indophile this is awesome. Forget recreating the Roman Empire, my Buddhist warrior Maharaja is going to recreate the Mauryan Empire and re-establish the Dharma throughout the subcontinent.

I'm really curious to see what they're going to do with Central Asia, too, especially with regards to the horde mechanics. They have a chance to make it feel a bit more organic by simulating the rise of leaders like Tamerlane rather than just having them pop out of nowhere at the designated time.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

HenessyHero posted:

So that brief stint I had as a dirty Cathar a couple reigns ago had a consequence.

Quick question - did you marry the Pope, or did your existing wife become the Pope?

Because either way, good lord

Misread. Though still, way to work your family up the chain. And, well, female Pope thing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bolian Blues posted:

I'm a few pages late to the party on the DLC thing but as a huge Indophile this is awesome. Forget recreating the Roman Empire, my Buddhist warrior Maharaja is going to recreate the Mauryan Empire and re-establish the Dharma throughout the subcontinent.

I'm really curious to see what they're going to do with Central Asia, too, especially with regards to the horde mechanics. They have a chance to make it feel a bit more organic by simulating the rise of leaders like Tamerlane rather than just having them pop out of nowhere at the designated time.

Only that the original horde emerges from a country that will not be part of the next map extension. If Mongolia was part of the Indian subcontinent I could imagine them establishing a new mechanic (kinda like recreating the Roman Empire with several prestige requirements and subjugating other tribes and all going into a new "horde counter" to amass the Mongol hordes), but even then it would most likely still involve heavy scripting for the AI and doomstacks popping out of nowhere anyway.

I hope they will add more unique buildings to the game, like the Theodosian Walls in Constantinople. How far will the map extend east anyway? If you get into Cambodia they could add a decision chain to build Angkor Wat for example, which could perhaps be a unique building for a temple holding.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really hope they keep heading East, and eventually we see all of the old world and can have it where the Tang dynasty spreads across the entirety of the steppe until it faces off against the revived Buddhist-Greco-Roman empire and its vassals in the Hindu Kush.

My alternative history self is on a fainting couch being fanned with palm fronds at this news.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Fucken finally, after only 673 hours of CK2 I finished my first game:

I didn't do anything the last 100 years or so because :effort:

e: The Old Gods start doesn't unlock the "Play from 1066 until the end" achievement. :cripes:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 23, 2014

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I hope this new expansion adds the West African coastal provinces that are there in EU4 so it doesn't look so weird when you conquer West Africa, convert a game, and then see all those countries suddenly there.

I'm going to be starting doing multiplayer with friends soon, and we decided on trying to do an Old Gods start date, forming Scandanvia, Wendish Empire, and Russia, and also reforming their respective religions. I'm going to be dealing with Russia, which is a country I've never played before. Any tips/hints to starting in Russia? Here's what I've been informed of so far:

-Send spymaster to spy on Byzantine tech
-Have other advisors do their tech stuff on my capital
-Invest in horse archers and get ready for Seljuks (and eventually Mongols)
-Reform the religion as soon as possible.

Any other tips for a Russian start? Until religions are reformed, I'll be able to count on the other players for military assistance.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of disappointed in the Rajas, first because I think the game should be deepened instead of being expanded, and second because I'm a terrible ignoramus when it comes to Indian history and don't have any touchstone that I could get hyped about.

Except that there might be a bookmark titled 'the Slave Dynasty'. :getin:

On the bright side, Paradox will probably have to develop non-feudal modes of government to fit India. And the Hordes. And diplomacy fog-of-war.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm really excited for India, if a little bit worried that it'll make the game run slower with all the new tags etc.

As for rather having the current CK2 be deeper rather than expanding the map? I don't know about that. What more could they add? It's already systems upon systems. I'd like them to change some things but adding more 'depth' sounds a little crazy to me.

This should be really cool, I can't wait to see how the new map looks and how the Indians play.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Hell, the way CK2 models government fits India of the time better than it fits Middle Eastern Muslim states or nomadic hordes or Slavic or Norse pagans.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Well in terms of 'deepened' there's still theocracies, inland republics, holy orders that are locked to us. But I agree, there's nothing wrong with adding new areas. Phase 2 is only just beginning, there are a few more DLCs planned.

Pragmatically, unless this is a standalone I would venture that this will be the expansion for India and the rest will need to stand free of it- thus back on the original content (or more map expansions, and more delicious Paradox forum tears). I can't see them doing DLC for DLC. Now, if it IS standalone all bets are off in terms of future DLC for India.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NLJP posted:

As for rather having the current CK2 be deeper rather than expanding the map? I don't know about that. What more could they add? It's already systems upon systems. I'd like them to change some things but adding more 'depth' sounds a little crazy to me.

I don't want to sound too much like the Paradox forums, but there's stuff like fleshing out Russia (including a Rota system), making Muslims less feudal, improving Steppe nomads, etc. Personally, I wish for ways to make large empires more interesting to govern.

Pakled posted:

Hell, the way CK2 models government fits India of the time better than it fits Middle Eastern Muslim states or nomadic hordes or Slavic or Norse pagans.

I think India was more feudal than the Middle East and the Byzantines, but they still had stuff like centrally appointed governors and extensive bureaucracies.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to get more entertainment from nationalists than from the actual gameplay. Imagine the Greater Moravia/Glorious Sjerbia/Second Rome stuff, but on an entire subcontinent.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't want to sound too much like the Paradox forums, but there's stuff like fleshing out Russia (including a Rota system), making Muslims less feudal, improving Steppe nomads, etc. Personally, I wish for ways to make large empires more interesting to govern.

Sure sure but most of that is patch or more minor DLC stuff and really not for a full scale expansion. I would hope they keep polishing that kind of stuff but that's not really in the league of what we're talking about. It's not like they'll stop patching.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Fucken finally, after only 673 hours of CK2 I finished my first game:

Wow, what a nerd. I'm about to get my first finished game and checking steam I've only spent oh god what am I doing with my life :negative:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

On the bright side, Paradox will probably have to develop non-feudal modes of government to fit India. And the Hordes. And diplomacy fog-of-war.

Mongols as something more than an Aztec invasion you can't turn off would be nice.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hopefully they can also make matrilineal marriages fully moddable, so they can be done by Republics. Inland republics would also be great, as would playing a Theocracy, even if you still can't play the Pope.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
I'm looking forward to this, cause it sounds awesome, but I really doubt they'll change the hordes much. I imagine (wildly speculate) that the northern border of the new Indian part of the map will be in or around the Himalayas somewhere.

Then all Paradox has to do is end the playable area of the European and Middle East almost exactly where it is now, at the Urals, and the Aral Sea. The steppes to the northeast will probably just be left unplayable, leaving plenty of room for the Hordes to roll their doom stacks out of the steppes at the appropriate dates.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't see why they would have to leave half the map blank. The Ilkhanate horde can appear in the north/east as normal, perhaps a few decades earlier, while the Golden Horde and Timurids could be created under special conditions, such as the Ilkhanate dissolving or breaking up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd really like to see a CKII DLC that was nothing but events and event chains. Tons of them. For every religion/region. Big event chains like the Demon Child, small event chains like the 'improve a stat' chains. Flavor events for lots of traits. Mini-event chains for interacting with kids/wife/family.

Just tons of new events. 100% of development time spent on new events (maybe a handful of new traits?).

Don't up the rate of events, just greatly expand the pool, so you could play a dozen games and still see totally new events.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I'd really like to see a CKII DLC that was nothing but events and event chains. Tons of them. For every religion/region. Big event chains like the Demon Child, small event chains like the 'improve a stat' chains. Flavor events for lots of traits. Mini-event chains for interacting with kids/wife/family.

Just tons of new events. 100% of development time spent on new events (maybe a handful of new traits?).

Don't up the rate of events, just greatly expand the pool, so you could play a dozen games and still see totally new events.

Seconding this, and I hope to god they add more flavor poo poo to do inbetween expansion, after forming a super empire it gets really loving annoying having to play whack-a-mole with rebels while maybe a feast or hunt inbetween?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

And more factions/ambitions.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Ovenmaster posted:

This is why you use some form of Cognatic succession :colbert:

And oh my God the expansion is going to be amazing.:getin:

Time to convince people to give up earthly desires at sword point :black101:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I hope that this is the DLC that paradox makes after they've burned out ideas for DLCs based around new game mechanics.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

arhra posted:

There should be Christians in India during the CK2 time period, though, so religious differences alone probably won't be enough to completely prevent it.

This gives me an idea for a CK2 game:

-Start in Old Gods time period as a Muslim or Pagan power.
-Subjugate Christendom.
-Tag switch to a Nestorian Indian Raja and become real life Prestor John, rescuing the holy mother church.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mailer posted:

Wow, what a nerd. I'm about to get my first finished game and checking steam I've only spent oh god what am I doing with my life :negative:
Haha, what a loser. Who could possibly play CK2 that m-

:smithicide:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

You know, I thought I had a problem, but that. That's just a full-time job.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Haha, what a loser. Who could possibly play CK2 that m-

:smithicide:

Mine's something ridiculous too, but it's because I tend to leave the game unattended for long stretches of time, since it's really nice about minimizing and doesn't make a huge performance footprint on my system.

FAKE EDIT: Mother of god, that's 73 days of gameplay. Leaving it on in the background for an hour or two probably wouldn't account for that.

I don't even think I've owned the game for 73 real days, let alone in-game ones.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

I don't even think I've owned the game for 73 real days, let alone in-game ones.

My steam account randomly tacked on about 1200 hours to each game I own at some point. I have no idea why, but I certainly haven't played 1206 hours of Shadowrun Returns.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm still playing my GamersGate version of CK2. :smug:

tallboarLittlehand
Sep 7, 2011
Wow, this is great news but it does leave some questions like how will they go about expanding the map? Are they going to block at off at the end of dejure India and thus add extra territories inbetween; or will India alone be added and everything else be terra incognnita? If so it would be awesome to see the Tibetan Empire just sitting there ready to expand the Bon faith in all directions.

Lastly, how badly will this break save games and mods because SOA was relatively painless compared to TOG, but this looks like it might be worst.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

On the topic of limiting distance, I think this is a great way to make Learning an actually valuable trait for rulers. The higher learning you have, the further out you can interact with countries (but probably not war because pretty borders). That way, someone with 0 learning can only reach the holy land, while someone with 20 learning can interact with India in several ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
So it's 1177 and I'm steamrolling everything as a mighty Norse emperor, this playthrough was done like a century ago. So instead of starting a new file, I am going to give myself a new challenge.

Time to grant everyone independence and flip to Catholicism :woop:.

• Locked thread