Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Mightaswell posted:

I guess it depends where you live, but in-store price locally here in Canada is around $269 for a 430EXII (Saneal, TCS). I see B&H has them listed for $299. Both are pretty good I guess since I paid like $350 for mine several years ago.

Off camera TTL is rad as hell, especially if you shoot kids and pets. I would hold the flash in one hand and point it at a wall or ceiling and shoot with my right in M mode and let the flash sort it out. Works surprisingly well. I miss that feature now that I have a 5D with no built in wireless flash control.

*edit* apparently the Yongnuo YN-565EX will do wireless TTL as well. Not to be confused with the Yongnuo YN-560 III which is a fully manual, non-TTL flash.

Yeah

560 is 60 bucks, fully manual
565 is 90 bucks, TTL & has wireless
568 is 180 bucks, TTL, wireless, HSS

I guess HSS is expensive? :)

You can get YN-622's for RF (no line of site!) wireless with all of them. They are 80 or so a pair (one for the camera, one for the flash)

A lot of people have nice things to say about the yongnuo's, I've personally never used them. I used to have 2 Sigma 500DG Supers, and the build quality was atrocious on them. Both fell apart after a few years use. I have a 430II and a 270II now, I would probably dip my toes in the YN waters if I was looking to do a crazy daylight HSS setup with a bunch of lights, if only because it would not cost 2 grand to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Even the Canon first party flashes (that I know of) don't do wireless HSS.

And it should be noted that even though it's fully manual, the YN-560 III has a built in radio trigger that pairs with the YN-602/3 triggers which saves you a couple bucks.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Mightaswell posted:

Even the Canon first party flashes (that I know of) don't do wireless HSS.

And it should be noted that even though it's fully manual, the YN-560 III has a built in radio trigger that pairs with the YN-602/3 triggers which saves you a couple bucks.

Not with the built in flash as a controller, but if you use a 580 as the master you can trip HSS remotely on the 430/580. Or you can use the YN-622s to do remote HSS as they support it. I think the ST-E2 also supports tripping HSS on the remote flashes.

Edit: Using a remote trigger like the 622 to do it is the much more economical edition, as having a 500$ 580EX sitting on your camera not flashing just acting as a master is pretty "I don't care about money"

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
However you do it (I've got a pair of Sigma 530DG Supers, the build quality seems OK but the owner's manual and controls are incomprehensible), GET WIRELESS FLASH. It's loving amazing how goddam fun it is to get half-drunk and go shooting with the flash just-out-of-frame in your left hand and your wobbly blurry eye pushed up against the viewfinder, right hand fumbling for the button.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
I have a Yongnuo 560, a 565 and a pair of their wireless triggers, all for less than the price of one (1) Canon speedlight. They're super cheap and they haven't let me down yet. The only downside is that Yongnuo seem to bring out a new model about once per week so you're constantly kicking yourself that you're missing out on whatever new feature they've decided to include.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Just out of curiosity, how is the quality control with Yongnuo these days? I still have an original 560 that works well, but a few years ago people were having units randomly crap out on them and trying to get them replaced with a warranty was a pain.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mest0r posted:

Just out of curiosity, how is the quality control with Yongnuo these days? I still have an original 560 that works well, but a few years ago people were having units randomly crap out on them and trying to get them replaced with a warranty was a pain.

Amazons return policy really makes buying them not a big risk these days.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
On weather-sealing: most all prosumer bodies (for Nikon, D7000 and up; the D3x00 and D5x00, as far as I know, aren't sealed at all) are sealed to the point where they can handle a good bit of rain; carry a towel (preferably with a bit of plastic sheeting pinned to one side) to drape over it/wipe it off occasionally, and you'll be fine for any weather that won't get a high school football game cancelled.

If you must spend ten hours in a Biblical downpour, get a Pentax -- I know for a fact the D700 won't take it (we sent it to the shop, they thought it had been submerged). The top-of-the-line Nikons may be better; I've been out in a hurricane with a D1X and it kept working.

And dunking even the D1 in a lake is right out. One of my coworkers left a full set of gear -- D1X and two top-end lenses -- on the bottom of Caddo Lake. He's a big guy (think Fat Bastard from Austin Powers with a buzzcut), and the stairs from the pier down to the boat were rather rotten.

torgeaux posted:

If you take snapshots or journalistic type shots, that's fine

SoundMonkey posted:

Other than severely blown highlights you can usually squeeze a stop or so of adjustment out of any of those things, and if you need to fix it by more than a stop, your image probably has bigger issues than what format it's saved as.

Kenshin posted:

I wish I always had ideal shooting conditions or time to adjust my settings to get things right the first time!

Unfortunately, wildlife (particularly birds) don't work on that sort of schedule. So RAW is needed. I don't always need to make big adjustments to the pictures, but I do often enough that I cannot imagine being tied down to JPEG. Use what works for you I guess.
Most journalists I know shoot RAW and just quick auto-everything on most shots; JPEG is good enough for newsprint, but there is that rare occasion when you manually expose, say, a church service, and them happen across the cops taking down a bank robber in daylight on the way back to the office, and you just have enough time to throw the car in neutral, jump out, and hold down the button. That actually happened to one of my coworkers; his Jeep gently nestled itself against a shrubbery, and since he shot RAW he was able to get a printable image out of it.

Personally, I shoot RAW, and make a habit of switching to P mode whenever I turn the camera off, just in case.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I hope I am asking in the right thread.

I have seen some used Nikon D60s for around $250, would this make a good first DLSR? What kind of things should I be worried about when buying one used?

Thanks.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
The D60 doesn't have an internal autofocus screw, so it won't autofocus with older "D" lenses. Not a problem if you use new AF-S lenses with a built-in motor. Also, if you plan on shooting manual, the lack of a front dial and ISO button will mean a lot of fumbling around in order to change aperture and ISO.

It's good to know the shutter actuation count of the camera you're buying, given that reliability starts to tank above 1-200k clicks.

http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d60.htm

If you want to get OCD you can check for sensor cleanliness and dead pixels by shooting a white wall at the highest aperture. You can check for hot pixels by shooting a long exposure with the lens cap on. It just depends on how much hassle the seller is willing to put up with for a $250 camera.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Lysandus posted:

I have seen some used Nikon D60s for around $250, would this make a good first DLSR? What kind of things should I be worried about when buying one used?

Thanks.

Is that with lens or body only? Have you looked up anything about the D60 at all? Is this your max budget? I ask because the D60 is very old in the tooth. Is it a good starter camera, maybe. Could it be old enough to skip and save up for something better? Yes.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Musket posted:

Is that with lens or body only? Have you looked up anything about the D60 at all? Is this your max budget? I ask because the D60 is very old in the tooth. Is it a good starter camera, maybe. Could it be old enough to skip and save up for something better? Yes.

It's with the lens. I don't mind saving for something better. What do you recommend?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25478B/D5100.html Is a good start. It all depends on your budget and how deep you want to head down this rabbit hole.

Got 1500 to spend? Go balls out with a Fuji XE2 or Nikon D7100 or Canonwhateverthefuck.

Buy a Olympus MJU 35mm camera, learn to bulk roll your own black and white, dev it at home, scan and be done with ever buying a digitalwhatzit.

Musket fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 21, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Lysandus posted:

Thanks.

I wouldn't get a D60 for $250. It's an old camera, and it's not worth that much.

In the same pricerange, you could get a D3100 or D5000; neither have the focus motor or front dial (Have to step up to the D90 or D7000 and up for that), but they're also more expensive (about $300 for a bgn d90 from keh)

I don't know how it is on the Canon side, but I'm sure there are better options for the same cost or not much more.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just bought my first DSLR. A new Nikon D3100 with an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm for $400. Neither are VR but I read that VR isn't all that great. What say you?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Frijolero posted:

What say you?
Shoot more.

Take many pictures, post them in the Dorkroom.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ExecuDork posted:

Shoot more.

Take many pictures, post them in the Dorkroom.

I was asking if my gear was kosher and if I made a mistake in not getting a VR lens, but fine you durned goon. Here's my very first pic:

Flowers for my Stalker

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Frijolero posted:

I was asking if my gear was kosher and if I made a mistake in not getting a VR lens, but fine you durned goon. Here's my very first pic:

Flowers for my Stalker

I like it but the photo looks a bit soft, probably a situation where the VR would have come in handy; I don't know what the ISO capabilities of the 3100 are but you'd probably want to bump it up a bit for a faster shutter speed. General rule of thumb is 1/focal length. That setup should be fine for the most part though, it covers a huge range of focal lengths and for just starting out it's about what I used (18-55 and a 70-300 w/ VC).

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
IS/VR/VC/OS is handy on longer lenses. I have it on probably 80% of the time with my Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC, but I rarely need it on my 17-50mm f/2.8 VC.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Why would you turn it off?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ante posted:

Some IS systems don't play nice with tripods, and if you don't need it, it saves a little battery to turn it off.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ante posted:

Battery life, Any OIS/VR lens on a tripod besides specific Canon IS technology, are reasons to turn off IS. IS/VR on a tripod can cause soft/blurry images as the IS/VR gets confused.

I keep mine off in daylight cuz theres no reason to stabilize 1/500th unless im shooting 600mm.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Frijolero posted:

Flowers for my Stalker

Bump up your iso to get shutter speeds high enough to defeat your lack of VR.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Delivery McGee posted:

Personally, I shoot RAW, and make a habit of switching to P mode whenever I turn the camera off, just in case.
I've gotta say, in the RAW vs. JPG argument I used to say RAW, every time, because gently caress it: hard drive space is cheap, right? But goddamn, then I bought a 7D and the RAW files are routinely around 25mb, and I'm killing my hard drive (and burning through CF cards) when nine times out of ten jpg will do me just fine. If I'm shooting something I absolutely have to get right I'll do RAW, but for the past week I've been shooting jpg (average file size around 7mb) and saving gobs of space, and haven't found anything I can't edit successfully.

To each his own, of course, but there's something to be said for having a 16gb card that shows only 450 shots left in RAW, but then says "999" as soon as I switch to large jpg.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You don't get to bitch about 25MB raws, btw.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
10000 pictures at an average of 25MB is only 250GB. Given disk sizes these days... v:confused:v

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Combat Pretzel posted:

10000 pictures at an average of 25MB is only 250GB. Given disk sizes these days... v:confused:v

...plus on-site backups, plus cold storage, plus request fees for cold storage, forever.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I do most of my work on a laptop and while disk space isn't a huge concern for me in TYOOL 2014, I'd also rather not burn it for no reason.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I've got a lead on an A230 with the kit lens and a Tamron 28-80 mm wide angle for $120. I'm thinking it's worth it at the price. Was the A230 bad enough to make me wrong on this?

Posted this in the Sony thread, but it seems this one gets more traffic. Anyone have some advice?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Posted this in the Sony thread, but it seems this one gets more traffic. Anyone have some advice?

I can't contribute much other than "28-80 is in no way wide angle".

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I ran right into that with My First DSLR. I didn't think enough about what "crop factor" means, and one of my first lenses was a 35-80mm kit lens from a mid-90's AF SLR. That's not a very useful range on 1.5x crop APS-C. 28mm is slightly wider than normal, 35mm is actually a little tighter.

That's why kit zooms for APS-C DSLRs are almost always either 17 or 18mm at the wide end. That's reasonably wide, and quite nice for landscapes and other "zoom out" shots.

I know nothing about Sony DSLRs (paging Bob Socko) but a working camera with a useable (if not particularly useful) lens for $120 doesn't seem too bad.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going for it. The body alone goes for more than that even used, not even counting the lenses. Just wanted to make sure that the A230 wasn't some reviled hunk of trash.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

I ran right into that with My First DSLR. I didn't think enough about what "crop factor" means, and one of my first lenses was a 35-80mm kit lens from a mid-90's AF SLR. That's not a very useful range on 1.5x crop APS-C. 28mm is slightly wider than normal, 35mm is actually a little tighter.

If you mean the Nikon 35-80 4-5.6, it's also probably objectively one of the worst pieces of poo poo Nikon has ever let out the door.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Pentax SMC FA-35-80mm f/4-5.6 (silver). The IQ on that lens is fine, nothing special. It's just your typical small-and-variable aperture, not-very-useful-on-crop, plastic-fantastic mid-90's SLR kit zoom lens. One of the reasons I bought it was the eBay seller was claiming to donate some fraction of the proceeds she received to cancer research as part of some challenge with her friends or coworkers.

It looks good and performs alright on my ZX-7, less so on my K-10D or on my K-5.

Last year I did a head-to-head comparison between that lens and the equivalent F- lens (again, Pentax - please nobody get confused about Nikon here - I own no Nikon gear at all), mounted on both my ZX-7 and my Z-70. I swapped the lenses between the bodies a few times (and shot with my SMC F-28/2.8 - once again, a fine piece of gear I'm very happy with) and took back-to-back pictures of the same subjects on the same film, which was expired Kodak Gold 400, hilariously misspelled "Zodak" in the Kijiji ad that led me to the Z-70. The two lenses (to nobody's surprise) were indistinguishable, as were the camera bodies once I got past the small differences in handling (mode selection, control layout).

tl/dr: There's nothing inherently wrong with 90's AF kit zooms, as far as my experience goes. They just tend to be an awkward focal-length range on crop DSLRs, with lame maximum apertures.

EDIT: the FA cost me less than $50, including shipping. The F was part of a kit that included the Z-70, 6 rolls of film, and a small bag in good condition, for $60. If you need glass but have very little money, these lenses are an option.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
It's true: I put a canon 28-80 f:slow on my 5DIII and poo poo looked fine honestly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The sigma 28-80 that I had for my sd14 was p. solid too.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I just picked up my first dslr last week, a used D3200. I'm pretty happy with it so far and looking forward to taking more pics. I started with my first digital camera back in 04 with a cannon a95, took a bunch of pics but then the screen broke. I ended up getting it fixed by Cannon, but by then it just got used for ebay pics and some of fish. I ended up getting a free Nikon with my rifle scope and it had more mega pixels, a big screen, and did better vids, but worse pics. But I didn't use it for much else anyway. So recently I've wanted to take better pics of my miniatures painting and my car. Also later this year more cars at some races and vacation. So I looked around at getting a new camera. I ended up buying a Samsung wb250f on a black Friday sale. Its a decent camera, has some cool wifi features and a touch screen. But I felt like beyond the manual mode and the zoom it wasn't doing more than the camera on my phone. I attempted to get into manual mode and take more control of my pictures but still wasn't totally happy with the results, and lack of depth of field. So I decided to finally go with a dslr.

Right now I'm practicing and playing around with it. I'm reading Understanding Exposure and watching everything I find on youtube. I'm trying to decide what to get for my next lens though. Im leaning to the 50mm 1.8 or something that goes up to 200mm. I was thinking of getting into hockey photos but heard you need a pretty fast lens and I wasnt looking to break the bank yet.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Fingers McGee posted:

Im leaning to the 50mm 1.8 or something that goes up to 200mm.

Do you have a kit lens already? If so, the 50 f/1.8 is kind of a niche thing. Get a long lens first. I was considering the Sigma 70-300mm for $150 until I got an old Nikkor screw-drive made for 35mm. I have a D7000, you're more limited -- make sure whatever lens you get has a built-in AF motor, because your camera doesn't have a motor in it for the old lenses.

quote:

I was thinking of getting into hockey photos but heard you need a pretty fast lens and I wasnt looking to break the bank yet.
If you can get right up against the boards, the 50mm f/2.8 would probably be decent for getting shots of the guys coming up the wings/getting hammered into the boards. Try it with whatever kit zoom lens you have, with the ISO cranked all the way up -- it'll be noisy as hell and barely suitable for newsprint, but will give you an idea of what length of lens you'll want when you can afford a fast one. You can get something properly exposed; I've shot volleyball in a poorly-lit court with a D1 (max ISO1600). Presumably hockey will be a little better lit even with crap lights, you'd get a bit of fill light from the reflection off the ice (with basketball/volleyball, the floor is shiny, but very yellow, so it just fucks up the white balance).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 9, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
I'd imagine hockey would be a hard one to get decent exposure, given all the lighting of an indoor sport combined with the white playing field that you don't really have in other sports.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

jackpot posted:

I've gotta say, in the RAW vs. JPG argument I used to say RAW, every time, because gently caress it: hard drive space is cheap, right? But goddamn, then I bought a 7D and the RAW files are routinely around 25mb, and I'm killing my hard drive (and burning through CF cards) when nine times out of ten jpg will do me just fine. If I'm shooting something I absolutely have to get right I'll do RAW, but for the past week I've been shooting jpg (average file size around 7mb) and saving gobs of space, and haven't found anything I can't edit successfully.

To each his own, of course, but there's something to be said for having a 16gb card that shows only 450 shots left in RAW, but then says "999" as soon as I switch to large jpg.

Yea I stopped shooting RAW completely unless it is an extremely tricky lighting situation. Mainly because the Fuji JPEG's are amazing, and they are so much faster to work with in LR/Photoshop compared to RAW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

keyframe posted:

Yea I stopped shooting RAW completely unless it is an extremely tricky lighting situation. Mainly because the Fuji JPEG's are amazing, and they are so much faster to work with in LR/Photoshop compared to RAW.

Enjoy working with an incomplete format, noob.

• Locked thread