Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Day Man posted:

Don't move to northern California. Its the worst and I desperately want out. Year round riding is nice, but being constantly broke no matter how hard you work sucks balls.

I live in Boston, I'm constantly broke here too, so at least I can ride, until I get so strapped I have to sell my bikes (which I've done twice over the years). FML

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Z3n posted:

THIS IS THE LAND OF OPPOURTUNITY IF YOU'RE NOT BOOTSTRAPPING YOUR STARTUP IN YOUOR PARENTS COFFEE SHOP WHY DO YOU EVEN THINK YOU DESERVE TO BE HERE. YOU HAVE ALL THE CHANCES YOU NEED TO ACHIEVE LITERALLY ANYTHING ELON MUSK HYPERTUBE GENTRIFICATION SNAPCHAT MULTIHEADED SOCIAL MEDIA INTERFACE

*dies via slipping on the poo poo slicked steps of a BART escalator while posting on svbtle about how to bootstrap the homeless getting their poo poo together with social media*

I'm dying laughing over here. Office mates probably think I'm crazy, ha ha ha

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Yeah, it's unfortunate with how pretty Cali land and weather is, but step 1 in getting anywhere money-wise in California is pretty much "leave California"

CT's like that too but without the pretty land or weather

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

A recruiter contacted me for a job in Modesto as a statistician for the wine industry with a starting salary of 92k. Despite it being five times my current income I was like "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but it's Modesto" and then rode my broke rear end all around my temperate sunny San Diego

I can't not live by an ocean. Looking in every direction for miles and seeing nothing but dredges of humanity just doesn't seem like a fun experience. :(

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Did you really give up a 5x salary increase because you couldn't deal with an hour of commute every morning? I thought that you American blokes loved to work a lot?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

KARMA! posted:

Did you really give up a 5x salary increase because you couldn't deal with an hour a six hour of commute every morning? I thought that you American blokes loved to work a lot?

I hate working. I'd rather be poor and free than a slave with lots of things. Still trying to find that balance. :sweatdrop:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xovaan posted:

I hate working. I'd rather be poor and free than a slave with lots of things. Still trying to find that balance. :sweatdrop:

That's cool and all, but dude, if you seriously turned down $92,000 a year for your current $18,500 a year job because you didn't want to be a "slave" like every other working stiff and live in Modesto (which is like an hour away from loving Yosemite), you're a colossal idiot. Do you know what the difference in quality of life is between <20k and >90k a year?

Like, just as a thought experiment, consider that you could work at this place for a year, pay 40% of your salary in taxes (upper end), then quit and literally work not at all for three entire years (stupid, but you could do it) and still not have lost any money vs. working the same low-end job for five years continuously.

What the hell.

e: what do you mean a six hour commute? Even San Francisco to Modesto, if you absolutely had to live right on the ocean, is only an hour and a half.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 24, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Xovaan posted:

Be a server at a high end restaurant. 4-5x shifts a week at 4-6hr a piece. $150-350 a night (~225 avg), depending on season. It's a great job to go to school full time but still ball out on one hobby. :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

What the hell.

Hint: The salary numbers and the story are exaggerated

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

Looking in every direction for miles and seeing nothing but dredges of humanity just doesn't seem like a fun experience. :(

Goons sure have a lot of trouble getting over themselves about other people.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Everyone everywhere sure has a lot of trouble getting over themselves about other people.

Probably more accurate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I wouldn't work for 92k a year in modesto. gently caress that. Yeah, it's an hour and a half from yosemite, but honestly, wasting your time working a job you hate in an area you hate just isn't loving worth it, unless you're making like, enough money to cause a permanent change in your life in the long run. Not working for 3 years is great until you realize that in the long run, you're just extra hosed - now you're 4 years older, no income, no savings, no closer to retirement savings or any sort of fiscal stability, 3 years off work, so good luck getting another job.

The reason it might be valuable is work experience - early on, that can be worth far more in returns in the long run than anything else. But honestly, usually jobs like that are "92k list rate *with 58k bonus that no one has ever seen but is theoretically possible if you work at least 7300 hours this year*.

Now if it's 250k+, yeah, that might start to get into being worth it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 24, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.reddit.com/r/bikesgonewild/comments/1vssnz/took_my_girl_for_a_quick_spin_downtown_today_she/
http://www.reddit.com/r/bikesgonewild/comments/1vyesa/she_gets_a_little_red_in_the_face_when_in_the_nude/
http://www.reddit.com/r/bikesgonewild/comments/1w00t4/my_girl_necked_on_the_side_of_the_road/
http://www.reddit.com/r/bikesgonewild/comments/1vzp9t/its_been_a_while_since_ive_been_naked_in_front_of/
http://www.reddit.com/r/bikesgonewild/comments/1w04b1/nude_party/

So sick of this creepy pathetic poo poo. gently caress all these people. Put your fedora on, go back inside to your desk covered with anime figurines and finish your PHP code, freaks. loving hate reddit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Plz don't php shame.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

That's cool and all, but dude, if you seriously turned down $92,000 a year for your current $18,500 a year job because you didn't want to be a "slave" like every other working stiff and live in Modesto (which is like an hour away from loving Yosemite), you're a colossal idiot. Do you know what the difference in quality of life is between <20k and >90k a year?

Like, just as a thought experiment, consider that you could work at this place for a year, pay 40% of your salary in taxes (upper end), then quit and literally work not at all for three entire years (stupid, but you could do it) and still not have lost any money vs. working the same low-end job for five years continuously.

What the hell.

e: what do you mean a six hour commute? Even San Francisco to Modesto, if you absolutely had to live right on the ocean, is only an hour and a half.

Modesto is a pretty steamy shithole-- not quite Ramona or Bakersfield, but close. Unless they'd agree to a Skype interview and travel costs for a lofty chance at getting a job recommending a master's degree then I'm gonna look elsewhere. 92k isn't enough money to live in the middle of nowhere sitting in a cubicle crunching numbers all day. If I can get a job for 40-50k living at home then the difference in income after tax and living expenses makes living in the desert even less appetizing.

clutchpuck posted:

Goons sure have a lot of trouble getting over themselves about other people.

Speaking from experience, unless you live in a metropolitan area, most places are pretty mediocre to live in. CA supremacy etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think I've seen this exact bike parked downtown a few times. Certainly I know that intersection.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dammit how many times do I have to post this before you people learn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Seriously, your life will be so much better

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
lol @ there being beef between two nerd internet forums

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is "chomo" slang for child molester? Do we really need a slang term for that? Also, "shamefur dispray."

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Are those... Youtube comments? Did you trick us into reading Youtube comments? You know to never read those.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I can't help it. Since the last youtube update, my HerpDerp extension on Chrome doesn't work.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So is there an internet war between SA and youtube? Or SA and reddit?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
SA started a campaign to remove some nice subreddits like /r/niggerjailbait, /r/picsofdeadkids, /r/beatingwomen etc. etc.... Some redditors took it as an attack on their freedom of speech.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
As well they should. Who gives a poo poo what they do?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Predditor spotted

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*closes eyes*

I will not get sucked into this, I will not get sucked into this

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you don't use playlists or time on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/feather_beta

It's amazing.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Speaking from experience, unless you live in a metropolitan area, most places are pretty mediocre to live in. CA supremacy etc.

I can't find fault with your choice.
I lasted 6 months in WA and gave up an easy 80k/yr job to come back to San Diego. I took a ~15k a year pay cut but left behind a 6 month depressive stupor that i still haven't fully recovered from. Now I can ride all year long, lane split and even see the sun on more than a bimonthly basis all while complaining how cold it is when it drops below 60f.

To me being miserable where you live just isn't worth the cash. Unless it's like Z3N mentioned where you can suck it up for a few years and walk away with half a million squirreled away. I would probably do that.

EDIT: this is by no means a dig on the PNW. It's a very pretty place that just happens to be the polar opposite of the climate I like.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 24, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Z3n posted:

It's amazing.

I really appreciate you.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bugdrvr, we should hang out sometime when you're not super busy. Maybe one day I'll drop by the Porsche dealer and say hi since I perpetually stock up on parts from the adjacent Volvo dealership. :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*closes eyes*

I will not get sucked into this, I will not get sucked into this

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/1w1s8q/psycho_human_dragged_his_head_on_the_ground_on_a/

Edit: \/\/\/ It's old but seriously, read that title. That, better than anything I've ever seen, represents the non-motorcycling public the best.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 25, 2014

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Somebody was posting Ghillieman like two years ago here. Catch up, reddit :rolleyes:

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Slavvy posted:

gently caress me, third day of pissing rain in a row...in the middle of bloody summer. loving Auckland. God forbid I want to ride my non-lovely bike to work or something.

Last time I went to NZ it was the middle of summer, and I remember standing on a beach near the mouth of the Rakaia River wearing a trenchcoat and shivering because it was like three degrees above zero. And that was the only day for the entire two week trip that it didn't rain.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

It's amazing.

"Time"? So I can't timestamp a link for other people and vice versa or something? I need to skip past extraneous video poo poo, Z3n!!!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Bugdrvr, we should hang out sometime when you're not super busy. Maybe one day I'll drop by the Porsche dealer and say hi since I perpetually stock up on parts from the adjacent Volvo dealership. :v:

Yeah, we need to meet up soon. We are finally hiring another tech next month so I can cut out this working late and on Saturdays nonsense.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Attention HNasty and Rev. Dr. Moses P Lester:

Asphalt and Rubber just posted your blog to facebook

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
awwwwww poo poo we're gonna be rich bru, book deal here we come.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is Asphalt and Rubber like Iron and Resin or is it like Blood and Oil or Iron and Air or Seaweed and Gravel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is Asphalt and Rubber like Iron and Resin or is it like Blood and Oil or Iron and Air or Seaweed and Gravel?

Hey I've no idea if you can pull the video to put up on your site but Belstaff, formerly makers of very nice, if slightly pricey leathers, have gone full motherfucking hipster in the last few years:

http://www.belstaff.co.uk/men/pure-motorcycle/

Now their "premium motorcycle wear" is made from loving waxed cotton and yet still manages to be pricier than Alpinestars stuff.

e: Oh tell a lie you can get a jacket with a whole 1 millimetre-thick leather shell (most bike leathers are 6mm or more) for a mere £1050

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 29, 2014