Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Why can't normal social interactions work like kitchen work? If I hosed up, I got pulled aside by a chef with fire in his eyes and sternly told not to gently caress up again, then I wouldn't gently caress up and we got drinks later. Now I mess up and I get a written pre-warning notification that I'll probably get a written warning if I gently caress up again soon. What does any of that even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Why can't normal social interactions work like kitchen work? If I hosed up, I got pulled aside by a chef with fire in his eyes and sternly told not to gently caress up again, then I wouldn't gently caress up and we got drinks later. Now I mess up and I get a written pre-warning notification that I'll probably get a written warning if I gently caress up again soon. What does any of that even mean?

Means they have a record of how much of a fuckup you are. In case they ever decide they want to let you go.

On another note, I've entered the restaurant world with a dishwashing job. It's not that bad to be honest. Wash dishes, sometimes mop something or clean something when asked. Luckily there are lots of everything, so nothing needs cleaning right away. Which is good, because I have two kitchens/restaurants I have to wash dishes for. Spend an hour in one, then go to the other and repeat. Another bonus is a free meal every shift, sweet deals.

I hear if I do good, in 6 months or so I can get promoted to Line. That doesn't sound too bad either.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

They want to keep you confused and vulnerable to sudden termination with plenty of written records to throw in your face if you dare seek unemployment or recompense for what is an unfair and arbitrary termination, but has enough paper in it to make lawyers smile and have you thrown out. Keep records of your own. Lots of them. Signed by others if possible.

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Watch how fast I type "motherfucker."
Anyone have links to older versions of this thread kicking around?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

snackpants posted:

It would have been closed about five months ago, if that helps.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

snackpants posted:

Immediate predecessor: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437862

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I have a new low. Sliced open my thumb today... on an egg shell. :gonk:

Not deep enough for stitches, but enough that I needed superglue. I don't even know. :psyduck:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Ugh, that sucks. I've gotten egg shells under my fingernails and that was bad enough.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Liquid Communism posted:

Not deep enough for stitches, but enough that I needed superglue. I don't even know. :psyduck:

I did something in a similar vain while detailing the deli-slicer. The culprit? A particularly sharp, dried-up piece of cheese that was on the back of the plate that covers the actual blade.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Liquid Communism posted:

Makes a ragged non-healing motherfucker of a scar, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Worst part was that it started bleeding like a stuck pig, and I had to throw out the dozen eggs I'd already cracked for contamination because it dripped before I felt it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

The only time I've ever bled while cutting bread was when I scraped my knuckles on a particularly crusty loaf of ciabatta. Haven't cut myself with the bread knife yet.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I cut my knuckles on plastic wrap all the time. More often than anything else, I think.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Trebuchet King posted:

The only time I've ever bled while cutting bread was when I scraped my knuckles on a particularly crusty loaf of ciabatta. Haven't cut myself with the bread knife yet.

Other cuts are meh, but cutting yourself with the bread knife is a shameful thing.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Splizwarf posted:

Other cuts are meh, but cutting yourself with the bread knife is a shameful thing.

That's what I keep saying, but apparently it keeps happening to other scrubs.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I cut my knuckles on plastic wrap all the time. More often than anything else, I think.

This and cutting yourself on tin foil are miserable. They just sting no matter what you do or what you use to cover them up, I swear to god.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I sliced my palm open using the knife on a wine key to cut flowers from the garden out back because the flowers in the dining room had gone all wilty. /fohproblems

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Skinny King Pimp posted:

This and cutting yourself on tin foil are miserable. They just sting no matter what you do or what you use to cover them up, I swear to god.

Every time someone brings this up it makes me cringe. Tin foil cuts just sound savage.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I managed to not slice my hand off when I did prep chef work despite my best efforts, but I do end up with these weird hand wounds simply from repeated actions that keep nicking or scraping me just enough to add up over a night into a nice little raw patch. You'd think I'd take mind to move my hands in a way to not keep aggravating these wounds, but there's no time to do the sensible thing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Skinny King Pimp posted:

God, tin foil cuts suck. My least favorite ones are sheet box cuts. The waxed cardstock they use for full sheet boxes is sharper than the Devil himself.

Nitram2.0
Dec 29, 2012
Pulling apart stuck nine pans. I always manage to skin my knuckle when the really tough ones finally pop out.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Liquid Communism posted:

God, tin foil cuts suck. My least favorite ones are sheet box cuts. The waxed cardstock they use for full sheet boxes is sharper than the Devil himself.

99% sure that Satan is actually afraid of waxed cardstock.

oh man and I just remembered: When you have cheap quart and pint containers and you're trying to get the lid off real fast so you can garnish a plate or whatever the gently caress you're doing and then the edge of the lid cuts into your finger and it stings so goddamn bad.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Skinny King Pimp posted:

99% sure that Satan is actually afraid of waxed cardstock.

oh man and I just remembered: When you have cheap quart and pint containers and you're trying to get the lid off real fast so you can garnish a plate or whatever the gently caress you're doing and then the edge of the lid cuts into your finger and it stings so goddamn bad.

Oh god. And they're always full of lemon curd or something that burns like fire. :gonk:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I can rip eight loaves of bread in a row through the slicer with no problem, but somehow I manage to loving cut myself on a pastry box.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's because you've got your guard down.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Got a nice bottle of bourbon from work today. I do kinda like this sometimes.

It's helping me do two of the worst activities known to man: looking for apartments and being on okCupid.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Guys... Guys! I've found it. I've found the pinnacle of Good Jobs (hourly) in this industry. Catering and Event bartender. Absolutely absurd hourly rate, 100% tips in my pocket and all of the fun of bartending with none of the drudgery of working in a bar! Between doing catering stuff on weekends and occasional nights and mindless serving espresso at a cafe I've achieved hourly-hospitality-nirvana. Hopefully my boss/owner of cafe doesn't manage to get that lease she wants for the expansion she wants me to run.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Turkeybone posted:

and being on okCupid.

Good luck. A couple of years ago I got super drunk and made a profile and started talking to one chick on there.

Tomorrow is our 2-year anniversary. So there is hope.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Guys... Guys! I've found it. I've found the pinnacle of Good Jobs (hourly) in this industry. Catering and Event bartender. Absolutely absurd hourly rate, 100% tips in my pocket and all of the fun of bartending with none of the drudgery of working in a bar!
:shh:

Get that brand money hookup if you can.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Guys... Guys! I've found it. I've found the pinnacle of Good Jobs (hourly) in this industry. Catering and Event bartender. Absolutely absurd hourly rate, 100% tips in my pocket and all of the fun of bartending with none of the drudgery of working in a bar!

GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh, young fool, you have much to learn.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
Had our holiday party tonight, us cooks of course had to cater it. Always a good time when you're cooking with a bottle of beer in your hand.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

GAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh, young fool, you have much to learn.

Maybe he works for that one magical catering company that doesn't have a slow time of year.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
Our staff party is tomorrow, a buffet at some golf club. I'm the guy who always does the carving/chef stations at our buffets (because I'm the best at fake smiling and hiding my contempt for everyone). Part of me feels like playing the role of difficult rear end in a top hat customer, asking for thin cut, well done, end cut prime rib and asking "what's this?" about every salad and entree that has a label next to it just to see what it feels like.

Speaking of buffets, I need some more ideas for chef-attended stations. I've mostly been doing pasta bars, stir fry stations and carving and it's getting kinda repetitive. I did a vegetarian sushi station once that was surprisingly successful. Chef nixed my half-serious idea of me rolling the flattop out into the dining room for some amateur teppanyaki action. Right now I only have access to a few portable burners, a carving lamp and some bain maries, but I can probably talk chef into shelling out cash for some toys if I can make good use out of them.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Maybe he works for that one magical catering company that doesn't have a slow time of year.

I AM MAGIC. Y'all heard it here first. Sadly I have to give up one of my favorite, highest paying shifts for our holiday party...which will be spent getting lit on tequila while bowling. :allears:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

I worked for two of those. In Yountville and Marin, two of the most affluent places on the planet and would never, ever loving do that again. Catering/event bartending is absolute hell on earth. I would work at denny's or go back to slinging $9 Bud Lites in hot pants in a strip club 1000x before I would cater again.

I'll work events I've consulted on/created but that's it.

E: LOL if you think there will be regular tips to put in your pocket. Here and there, sure, but don't rely on that.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I worked for two of those. In Yountville and Marin, two of the most affluent places on the planet and would never, ever loving do that again. Catering/event bartending is absolute hell on earth. I would work at denny's or go back to slinging $9 Bud Lites in hot pants in a strip club 1000x before I would cater again.

I'll work events I've consulted on/created but that's it.

E: LOL if you think there will be regular tips to put in your pocket. Here and there, sure, but don't rely on that.

Enough time in the trenches doing catering and you get to tell people how much things cost when you produce your own events. It's pretty rad. I'm currently doing logistics on 140 drinks to be batched in a boutique bathroom. Again.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

140 drinks to be batched in a boutique bathroom. Again.

Haha, welcome to my life. I think the most I ever did was 970 portions? For Rye on the Road (which was aces for event bartending, not including that in my description of hell above) we would be doing it with egg foams and poo poo. I've watched some hail mary's under Scott Beattie as well.

Current job, I've got perlini's and six kegged & carbonated cocktails on tap, ready to go, and whatever I need batched in a bottle or cambro downstairs. Life is sweet, mang :hfive:

E: Also bought a pair of practically new sanita clogs at a thrift store for $10 this morning.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 24, 2014

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rockzilla posted:

Speaking of buffets, I need some more ideas for chef-attended stations. I've mostly been doing pasta bars, stir fry stations and carving and it's getting kinda repetitive. I did a vegetarian sushi station once that was surprisingly successful. Chef nixed my half-serious idea of me rolling the flattop out into the dining room for some amateur teppanyaki action. Right now I only have access to a few portable burners, a carving lamp and some bain maries, but I can probably talk chef into shelling out cash for some toys if I can make good use out of them.

Risotto stations have always done pretty well for me, provided you have the space: a hotbox (or even better, a hotbox and a chafing dish [or you know, a real warming solution if you have a kitchen nearby]) to keep your rice warm, a burner to keep your stock hot, and 2-3 burners to keep risotto flowing like a motherfucker. I've even done a 250-person where the FOH organizers decided it would be a good idea to let people choose their own 'toppings', which meant I was making it one order per pan, and that was kinda lovely, but doable.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
[/quote]

Omelette station is a fun one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Oh, I don't work for a catering company. I'm full time at the cafe job. But I'm now the go to bartender to call in for caterings that request bar service beyond "vodka sprite". So I get my comfy hipster job that pays well and the occasional ridiculous lump sum income

• Locked thread