Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Ariza posted:

It's more how weirdly obsessed the internet is with sexual assault when compared to everything else. Nobody is upset about the graphic murders in the show, but a jelly bean trying to get a boy to lick him is too much. Everyone has to fall over themselves proclaiming to strangers about how it affects them. It's worse than circumcision or well done steaks.

Yeah, about time someone stood up for all the murder victims' feelings. Everything that people argue about is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I was murdered once, and I have some serious trigger issues as a result.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Drifter posted:

I was murdered once, and I have some serious trigger issues as a result.

Me too, I can't even look at one on a gun any more.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ariza posted:

It's more how weirdly obsessed the internet is with sexual assault when compared to everything else. Nobody is upset about the graphic murders in the show, but a jelly bean trying to get a boy to lick him is too much. Everyone has to fall over themselves proclaiming to strangers about how it affects them. It's worse than circumcision or well done steaks.

How is this any different from the controversy over Kick rear end where people lost their damned minds over an 11-year-old girl saying "cunts" and "motherfucker", but the five dozen violent, brutal murders she performs slide without a mention.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The focus on that specific scene is strange. You guys are obsessed with rape.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gaunab posted:

Maybe it's the jellybean.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
can't wait til next week when frivolity returns

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never thought I'd be the person who was arguing in favor of a rape scene but seriously there was no joke here, it had a thematic point, and if anything it was a fair portrayal of how an almost-rape can gently caress up someone terribly (where it's often brushed off as an "oh no, I barely avoided rape!" instead of narrowly avoiding rape being its own trauma). Nobody downplayed it, there was nothing humorous about it, and it underscored the terror a kid feels. It's dramatically better than almost any other sexual assault scene I've seen in television media.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

I never thought I'd be the person who was arguing in favor of a rape scene but seriously there was no joke here, it had a thematic point, and if anything it was a fair portrayal of how an almost-rape can gently caress up someone terribly (where it's often brushed off as an "oh no, I barely avoided rape!" instead of narrowly avoiding rape being its own trauma). Nobody downplayed it, there was nothing humorous about it, and it underscored the terror a kid feels. It's dramatically better than almost any other sexual assault scene I've seen in television media.

I don't know, Jodie Foster was pretty hot.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Gaunab posted:

If the show spends like a solid minute brutally depicting a murder in disturbing detail, maybe people will talk about it this much.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Ariza posted:

It's worse than circumcision or well done steaks.

They should totally do both of these in one episode. It might cause the internet to implode. Maybe have a tipping b-plot.

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin

Alan Smithee posted:

what happened to Typical? We scared him off :ohdear:

He finished inking the season, and gleefully ceased to exist.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

IM ALAN SMITHEE LOOK AT ME

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just tried to lick a jellybean. Oh man I'm triggering so hard.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

If the show spends like a solid minute brutally depicting a murder in disturbing detail, maybe people will talk about it this much.

You mean "describing", right? I don't recall a rape being depicted in disturbing detail.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
My favorite part of any decent discussion on SA is when a bunch of dudes come in and say "wow this discussion is soooo pointless :smug:"

The scene was specifically made to not have a joke, in a comedy show. If there were a brutal murder scene that had the victim slowly realizing they were going to die, then we'd be discussing that. We are meant to talk about it, and how rape is portrayed in media, get over it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Clearly we're discussing the show wrong. What we're supposed to be discussing is "how badass Rick is with his guns and poo poo. How funny was it when Meseeks said he was Meseeks again? har har! Also golf, lol, golf is for idiots. How funny were the golf jokes, on an arbitrary scale out of ten?"

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Wuhao posted:

what happened to Typical? We scared him off :ohdear:

can't wait til next week when frivolity returns

He finished inking the season, and gleefully ceased to exist.

I'm here but I'm choosing not to participate because I have poor writing/persuasive skills and cannot express my opinion about anything serious without sounding stupid.

I may or may not agree with some people in the thread about some scenes.

OH also I am currently back at work at the Rick and Morty Studio doing some color work on an unrelated new pilot. it's by a lot of the same people I'll share it with you when it gets released.

AND NEW EPISODE on Monday.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Typical posted:

unrelated new pilot.

Please be dogworld.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hbomberguy posted:

Please be dogworld.
I think it could be great, Hbomb. I mean, it could be developed into a very satisfying project for people of all ages. I mean, I'd watch it Hbomb, for at least 11 minutes a pop. You know, maybe they'll do it board driven.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Heatvision and Jack was an awesome thing by Dan Harmon and you should all check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWgXDOAJ5s

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 27, 2014

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Typical posted:

I'm here but I'm choosing not to participate because I have poor writing/persuasive skills and cannot express my opinion about anything serious without sounding stupid.

Honestly, I think anyone actually involved with the show is best staying out of this sort of thing anyway. Insider info and little titbits are always cool, but getting into yelling matches with us knob-ends is never going to go well. Thanks for posting all this cool stuff!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm surprised that there hasn't actually been any yelling or brouhaha in the last week. Everyone's been pretty cool, no matter what their perspective on things.

I think it's because everyone's still onboard with the show.

Also, I went through the epiode again, just checking out the incredible detail in the backgrounds, and noticed this:

Giant penny.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 24, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, I went through the epiode again, just checking out the incredible detail in the backgrounds, and noticed this:

Giant penny.

Yeah, it's nice that the giant world they visited also had a giant Abraham Lincoln.

Hey, Typical, I'm starting color art on my solo cartoon in Toon Boom. Any shortcut tips you can give from someone that's actually being paid to use it? :) Do you do any of the rigging or is that all done by the overseas studio?

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

My wo

SymfonyMan posted:

Yeah, it's nice that the giant world they visited also had a giant Abraham Lincoln.

Hey, Typical, I'm starting color art on my solo cartoon in Toon Boom. Any shortcut tips you can give from someone that's actually being paid to use it? :) Do you do any of the rigging or is that all done by the overseas studio?

I do my design work in photoshop. and then they assemble every thing in the character builds over seas. but there are Toon boom/ Harmony people at the office. I will ask them today.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Typical posted:

OH also I am currently back at work at the Rick and Morty Studio doing some color work on an unrelated new pilot. it's by a lot of the same people I'll share it with you when it gets released.

Does it involve several clones of a certain aging former stand-up comic/sitcom star?

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PostNouveau posted:

Does it involve several clones of a certain aging former stand-up comic/sitcom star?

I could swear the guy who voiced Mr. Meseeks did curiosity aging former stand-up comic.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

perpetulance posted:

I could swear the guy who voiced Mr. Meseeks did curiosity aging former stand-up comic.
That was Justin Roiland. As you may know, he voices literally every character in this show. Even the girls. Except Jerry, who is voiced by Chris Parnell.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm surprised that there hasn't actually been any yelling or brouhaha in the last week. Everyone's been pretty cool, no matter what their perspective on things.

That scene made a lot of people uncomfortable, but I don't think I've read a single post anywhere that said it was completely out of line and offensive. At most people say that it didn't quite hit the mark.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Introduced the series to a few buddies who quote unquote hate animated stuff because its for babies or something and they loved it so I guess good job.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
If the Meeseks killed Jerry and thus, technically, didn't improve his golf stroke would they have just kept living in pain forever?

I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to this.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

If the Meeseks killed Jerry and thus, technically, didn't improve his golf stroke would they have just kept living in pain forever?

I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to this.
He didn't ask them to improve his golf stroke. His exact request was to "remove two strokes from his golf game". If he died, his golf game would have been reduced to zero strokes. Because he would never golf again. Because he's dead. And that's an improvement of more than two strokes!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

But theoretically he could just quit golf entirely and get the same result

I'M ALAN SMITHEE LOOK AT ME

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

But theoretically he could just quit golf entirely and get the same result

I'M ALAN SMITHEE LOOK AT ME
I'm a stickler JT Jag about this, I gotta note that even if he told them he intended to quit golf, the fact is that he still has a "golf game". He just isn't using it. The only way they could make sure that golf game is dealt with is by dealing with him.

Or with his wife intervening. Either way works.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

JT Jag posted:

I'm a stickler JT Jag about this, I gotta note that even if he told them he intended to quit golf, the fact is that he still has a "golf game". He just isn't using it. The only way they could make sure that golf game is dealt with is by dealing with him.

Or with his wife intervening. Either way works.
Ooooooooooooooh yeah that makes sense I'm Zsinjeh look at me!
*explodes*

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

SwissCM posted:

That scene made a lot of people uncomfortable, but I don't think I've read a single post anywhere that said it was completely out of line and offensive. At most people say that it didn't quite hit the mark.

Honestly my issue was that it hit the mark way to well, it was as dark and uncomfortable as a rape scene should be. The problem I had was that it was in-between a bunch of jokes. Frankly, the way they treated it made me respect the writing even more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JT Jag posted:

That was Justin Roiland. As you may know, he voices literally every character in this show. Even the girls. Except Jerry, who is voiced by Chris Parnell.

Isn't the wife voice by Sarah chalke?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Isn't the wife voice by Sarah chalke?
Sarah Chalke is voiced by Justin Roiland

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

You all may not know this but Justin Roiland is also voiced by Justin Roiland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I have clearly stepped over my privileges as an employee, and Now I need to retract my statement of their being a season 2. Nothing is confirmed and please don't listen to me.

Typical fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 27, 2014

• Locked thread