Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Space Pussy posted:

What annoys me about the Obama quote is that marijuana is nowhere near as dangerous as Alcohol and this has been known for decades. It's like he's trying not to offend those god-fearing alcoholics that never voted for him.

There's still quite a bit of misinformation on all drugs in general, even Alcohol and the humble NSAID.
Either from willful ignorance, misinformation drives like early DARE or just a plain lack of knowledge.

Abstinence only education sucks.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

computer parts posted:

It's actually more restricted in New Jersey or Pennsylvania than Alabama.

Really? Cause the ABC is kinda restrictive, can't buy liquor except through them. Package store have to buy wholesale from them, and wholesale is literally cost + freight where retail at an ABC store is cost+freight+tax.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, the AG does not need to make findings at all. If the Secretary of Health and Human Services recommends that a substance not be controlled, the AG must deschedule it, full stop.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/811.htm

It's not quite as simple as "the President can do it unilaterally", but cabinet positions generally don't openly oppose the President's policy choices.

Right, but that still requires findings on (1), (4), and (5) from HHS. I don't see how executive order can override the scientific opinions on which the various parts of the Executive Branch are supposed to make their decisions. At least, I'm not aware of any precedent for that sort of thing -- although I'd be curious to be made aware of one if you have one in mind. If anything Massachusetts v. EPA suggests the opposite: that executive agencies are not permitted to make their decisions on public policy grounds when Congress has specified the considerations on which they must form their regulations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TenementFunster posted:

Alcohol is illegal to sell throughout much of the south in the year of our lord twenty and fourteen

That's just the free market encouraging you to make your own!

...wait, what, that's illegal too? Oh son of a

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KernelSlanders posted:

Right, but that still requires findings on (1), (4), and (5) from HHS.

Read the text carefully. The exact quote: "The Attorney General shall ... request from the Secretary a scientific and medical evaluation, and his recommendations, as to whether such drug or other substance should be so controlled or removed as a controlled substance ... The recommendations of the Secretary shall include recommendations with respect to the appropriate schedule, if any, under which such drug or other substance should be listed".

Yes, HHS gets to make findings on certain things. As a separate part of the job, they also make recommendations as to whether the drug meets the criteria sufficiently to warrant scheduling, and if so they recommend a schedule into which it should be placed. There is no quantitative scale here, it's left as a holistic decision to the Secretary, and we're presuming a President (and by association his cabinet) who is making a policy decision to de-schedule in the first place. Really I doubt the AG would go hardline against the President's agenda either, even if they are one of the more independent actors within the Executive branch.

But regardless, if the Secretary recommends that a drug not be scheduled, it full stop cannot be scheduled. That mechanism exists so that in case an AG wants to go off the deep end and claims something harmless is actually really awful (say, someone's chemo medicine) the Secretary of HHS can make a policy decision to shut it down. If the Secretary examines the actual harms of marijuana and says "yeah, not that bad, I recommend no schedule" then the only way to stop him is to get Congress to explicitly reschedule (after which the de-scheduling process can begin anew, if desired), or to fire him and reconfirm a new Secretary.

The shortest way to put it is that the smooth operation of the drug war machinery assumes that Hunter S Thompson has not been given the levers of power.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 20, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

I'm not sure why I'm experiencing the Baader-Meinhof effect with Hunter S. Thompson, but that aside, I think we're not that far off in our readings. The point I'm getting at is that the secretary is instructed by the act of Congress on which basis she must make her recommendation and the Supreme Court has previously held that those instructions are mandatory. While I agree that in principle a unitary executive could, by fiat declare THC and marijuana unscheduled, rule of law dictates a process by which they must do so and requires the Secretary to either make scientific findings that any reasonable observer would conclude are not true, or to say that they would act contrary to those findings. I think far more effective and far more likely (although still unlikely given the current Congress) is an amendment to Section 903 granting the AG the authority to issue waivers for state legalization experiments. Brandeis' laboratories of democracy and such.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

KernelSlanders posted:

quote:

(1) Its actual or relative potential for abuse.
(2) Scientific evidence of its pharmacological effect, if known.
(3) The state of current scientific knowledge regarding the drug or other substance.
(4) Its history and current pattern of abuse.
(5) The scope, duration, and significance of abuse.
(6) What, if any, risk there is to the public health.
(7) Its psychic or physiological dependence liability.
(8) Whether the substance is an immediate precursor of a substance already controlled under this subchapter.
There is no "bad public policy" authority delegated by congress. I think it would be very hard to argue that people don't abuse (i.e., use recreationally) (1) marijuana, that it hasn't been abused (used) historically (4) or that this abuse (use) isn't of broad scope, long duration, and significant frequency (5). I doubt this particular substance could be de-scheduled without Congressional intervention. As for re-scheduling it, it's in schedule I, not because it's particularly dangerous but because there are no (broadly) accepted medical uses for it. There are also a number of treaty obligations that might be implicated.

Alcohol fits pretty clearly into that list; without consistent application of this law, it's pretty clear that marijuana prohibition is a form of cultural oppression. Either get it consistent by prohibiting alcohol (never going to happen again), or lots of drugs need to be rescheduled/legalized, not just marijuana. Rescheduling without changing the schedules would make alcohol illegal, though.

Edit: I think a good metric would be "would you suck rancid dick to get another hit and/or risk death due to withdrawal if you stop?". That kinda still requires alcohol to be illegal, though.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 20, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Didn't the DEA commission a study of marijuana's effects in the 80s that determined that it was super benign and recommended that it should be immediately descheduled? That document should hold a lot of sway in this argument, as it shows a branch of the federal govt already investigated the drug and found it safe.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
For whatever it's worth, I've been in co since Friday for unrelated reasons and personally I've never had a harder time fining weed than in Denver. I've scored weed from a lot of places and nowhere has it been more frustrating and confusing than here. If I were staying any longer I'd be looking on the black market at this point. Every medical shop is mislabeled recreational but when you get there they are hostile and rude and won't even talk to you without seeing your rec card, and if you do find a recreational shop it's hours are not listed, incorrect or they are simply out of pot. Seems like it is going to take a long time before this poo poo actually works on any meaningful level to me.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Warchicken posted:

For whatever it's worth, I've been in co since Friday for unrelated reasons and personally I've never had a harder time fining weed than in Denver. I've scored weed from a lot of places and nowhere has it been more frustrating and confusing than here. If I were staying any longer I'd be looking on the black market at this point. Every medical shop is mislabeled recreational but when you get there they are hostile and rude and won't even talk to you without seeing your rec card, and if you do find a recreational shop it's hours are not listed, incorrect or they are simply out of pot. Seems like it is going to take a long time before this poo poo actually works on any meaningful level to me.

Sounds like you're going to need to apply for some jobs at the dispensaries. These rude people that you're encountering are just way out of line! So, what do you do when you can no longer handle the stress? Join them!

After you land the job, not only will you get potential discounts on weed, you will be able to join their masses and give people rude looks and tell them rude things. Especially if they don't have their rec card.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EightBit posted:

Alcohol fits pretty clearly into that list; without consistent application of this law, it's pretty clear that marijuana prohibition is a form of cultural oppression. Either get it consistent by prohibiting alcohol (never going to happen again), or lots of drugs need to be rescheduled/legalized, not just marijuana. Rescheduling without changing the schedules would make alcohol illegal, though.

Edit: I think a good metric would be "would you suck rancid dick to get another hit and/or risk death due to withdrawal if you stop?". That kinda still requires alcohol to be illegal, though.

Alcohol is such a ridiculously large cultural institution that you can't treat it the same way as other intoxicants. It's had a major place in human society since the dawn of human society, and even in cultures that prohibit intoxicants they always mention alcohol by name as something to specifically avoid.

Comparing marijuana to alcohol is like comparing Greece to the US and wondering why the latter isn't allowed to default on their debts. It's because in both cases they're playing by a whole different set of rules.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

EightBit posted:

Alcohol and tobacco are specifically exempted from the CSA at Section 802(6).

While I agree with your assessment in principle, that isn't what the law says. I think virtually everyone in this is in agreement about the moral and cultural implications of marijuana prohibition. The disagreements are about interpretation of the existing laws and strategies to change them.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Didn't the DEA commission a study of marijuana's effects in the 80s that determined that it was super benign and recommended that it should be immediately descheduled? That document should hold a lot of sway in this argument, as it shows a branch of the federal govt already investigated the drug and found it safe.

I think you're thinking of the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse which was created by the CSA in 1970 under Nixon. It reported its findings in 1972 among them being: "[T]he criminal law is too harsh a tool to apply to personal possession even in the effort to discourage use. It implies an overwhelming indictment of the behavior which we believe is not appropriate. The actual and potential harm of use of the drug is not great enough to justify intrusion by the criminal law into private behavior, a step which our society takes only 'with the greatest reluctance." Needless to say they came back with the wrong answer and were largely ignored.

Full report from PMC

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

numbs posted:

Sounds like you're going to need to apply for some jobs at the dispensaries. These rude people that you're encountering are just way out of line! So, what do you do when you can no longer handle the stress? Join them!

After you land the job, not only will you get potential discounts on weed, you will be able to join their masses and give people rude looks and tell them rude things. Especially if they don't have their rec card.

Did you have a point? I'm really confused about what you're trying to say here. Why would I apply for jobs in a state I don't live in? I'm in town for my sister's funeral so if you're trying to make fun of me somehow it's just a little misplaced.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My friends that recently visited summit county told a different story. Plenty of weed and edibles available at assorted high-country shops, albeit at somewhat outrageous prices.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

KernelSlanders posted:

I think you're thinking of...

He might be thinking of this:

FYI, this document has been cited in SCOTUS: http://www.justice.gov/osg/briefs/2003/2pet/7pet/2003-0040.pet.aa.pdf

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I was a little bummed that there hasnt been much news or movement this week, so i took it upon myself to search for news online, and.... ugh.

"DEA agent goes to pot, leaves fed agency for marijuana industry

quote:

whose career with the Drug Enforcement Administration went up in smoke

quote:

isn't likely to spark an exodus

And another fox news article: High Hopes and Blunt Truths for the $2.3B Legal Marijuana Market

Are these conservative writers just stereotypical giggling stoners or something? Slapping their knees while they toss out tired old pot jokes?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 23, 2014

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRb_t053SQ

Well here is Nancy Grace's opinion on it.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I was a little bummed that there hasnt been much news or movement this week, so i took it upon myself to search for news online, and.... ugh.

"DEA agent goes to pot, leaves fed agency for marijuana industry

And another fox news article: High Hopes and Blunt Truths for the $2.3B Legal Marijuana Market

Are these conservative writers just stereotypical giggling stoners or something? Slapping their knees while they toss out tired old pot jokes?

Chill out. The news from last week was pretty loving huge, what with the POTUS saying the pot equivalence of what he said in 2012 regarding SSM. You can't expect every week to be as awesome as that. Baby steps, and all that.

However, I do agree very strongly with you that this stereotypical stoner-pun bullshit has to stop, as it's actually detrimental to the cause by keeping those tired old stereotypes alive in the public consciousness. The average pot smoker is anything but Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, despite what the editorial page writers perpetuate(Everyone under 35 is going "Who?").

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Warchicken posted:

For whatever it's worth, I've been in co since Friday for unrelated reasons and personally I've never had a harder time fining weed than in Denver ... Every medical shop is mislabeled recreational but when you get there they are hostile and rude and won't even talk to you without seeing your rec card, and if you do find a recreational shop it's hours are not listed, incorrect or they are simply out of pot. Seems like it is going to take a long time before this poo poo actually works on any meaningful level to me.

When I was there I just downloaded the WeedMaps app and it did a pretty good job of showing which places were recreational vs not, and whether or not they were in stock. Just driving around and looking would probably be pretty hit or miss.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
What, if any, effect does marijuana being Schedule I by congressional decree (it was listed as such in the original CSA I believe) on a potential de-scheduling?

Does Congress defining it as Schedule I mean that it can't be de-scheduled but by Congress? Or can it be de-scheduled in the normal manner?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Considering I was reading a pro-pot site trying to decide what weed-themed name to give the Superbowl, I'm pretty sure it has very little to do being conservative and everything to do with weed being the third-easiest thing to extract cheap laughs from behind farts and sexual innuendo.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Does Congress defining it as Schedule I mean that it can't be de-scheduled but by Congress? Or can it be de-scheduled in the normal manner?
The Attorney General can deschedule a controlled substance, including ones in section 812 (which were only put there as an initial list).

What might stop it though is that I don't think it can be scheduled any lower than the equivalent in the Convention on Psychotropic Substances treaty, which is effectively Schedule II or III.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 23, 2014

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Warchicken posted:

Well you're pretty dumb because there's been a running list on marijuana shops selling to 21+ in the Denver Post and their website and other websites as well.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Look at this stupid thing a doctor said:

quote:

“Alcohol is a legal substance, and it’s abusable, but the difference in that is that with marijuana use we don’t really understand its effect on the brain longterm,” he said. “In some respects marijuana is more dangerous because of its subtlety. With chronic use, we don’t know what the effect of marijuana will be on the brain or the lungs. I expect fully that we will find more and more harmful side effects, especially from chronic use.” http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140123/NEWS/301230070/Marijuana-alcohol-risks-debated-during-changing-climate?nclick_check=1

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

KingEup posted:

But we definitely know that alcohol has really bad possible long term effects in addition to it's possible really bad short term effects? It's weird to bring it up because no matter how well or not well we understand the effects of marijuana, it seems unlikely that it could be significantly worse than alcohol.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

The whole article is kinda poo poo. They cite 4 anti-legalization sources but fail to cite any differing opinions. That would be bad enough, but the article is entitled "Marijuana, alcohol risks debated during changing climate". You'd think that to display how there is "debate" over the risks they would include voices from both sides of the debate. I guess that paper is based out of Mississippi, though, so maybe I shouldn't hold them to such high standards.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

cafel posted:

But we definitely know that alcohol has really bad possible long term effects in addition to it's possible really bad short term effects? It's weird to bring it up because no matter how well or not well we understand the effects of marijuana, it seems unlikely that it could be significantly worse than alcohol.

And our lack of data on the long-term effects of marijuana is largely due to it being illegal, combined with the government's utter disinterest in making rational policy decisions.

CapitanAmerica
Jan 19, 2014

by Pipski

OneEightHundred posted:

Considering I was reading a pro-pot site trying to decide what weed-themed name to give the Superbowl, I'm pretty sure it has very little to do being conservative and everything to do with weed being the third-easiest thing to extract cheap laughs from behind farts and sexual innuendo.

The Attorney General can deschedule a controlled substance, including ones in section 812 (which were only put there as an initial list).

What might stop it though is that I don't think it can be scheduled any lower than the equivalent in the Convention on Psychotropic Substances treaty, which is effectively Schedule II or III.

Since when has international law stopped us from doing anything?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CapitanAmerica posted:

Since when has international law stopped us from doing anything?

He's talking about things we can do purely through the Executive branch. Any treaty the Senate has approved automatically becomes federal law, as per the Constitution, and since we're signatories to the Convention on Psychotropic Substances treaty, anything going against it would require an act of Congress to change the law.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Idran posted:

He's talking about things we can do purely through the Executive branch. Any treaty the Senate has approved automatically becomes federal law, as per the Constitution, and since we're signatories to the Convention on Psychotropic Substances treaty, anything going against it would require an act of Congress to change the law.

Not all treaties are self-executing, but I think the CSA has some "shall" language regarding what schedules substances covered by international agreements have to be put on by the AG.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Looks like the feds are going to let dispensaries use banks. This is a big step in the right direction.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Holy poo poo, this is a big deal.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

quote:

While Holder spoke twice of new "regulations" that were being prepared, a Justice Department spokesman said later that the attorney general was referring to legal "guidance" for prosecutors and federal law enforcement. Such a legal memo wouldn't be enforceable in court and would amount to less than the kind of clear safe harbor many banks say they would want before accepting money from pot businesses.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Yeah, those memos don't mean poo poo if a USAO decides they want to shoot some fish in a barrel. This merely continues the trend of 100% rhetorical drug war shifts, just like the Christie and Perry soundbites from earlier this week.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Elotana posted:

Yeah, those memos don't mean poo poo if a USAO decides they want to shoot some fish in a barrel. This merely continues the trend of 100% rhetorical drug war shifts, just like the Christie and Perry soundbites from earlier this week.

I wouldn't understate this though. It's been long in the making, but I think this huge national shift of consciousness has been taking place relatively recently. I can't think of pot being as popular or accepted in the 90's or even the early 2000's. I think it's kind of a big deal that the national conversation can change so rapidly and suddenly have real political effect.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Idran posted:

The President can unilaterally abrogate a treaty though? Carter did it with the Taiwan defense treaty and the Supreme Court abstained from ruling on it since it was a political question.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I wouldn't understate this though. It's been long in the making, but I think this huge national shift of consciousness has been taking place relatively recently. I can't think of pot being as popular or accepted in the 90's or even the early 2000's. I think it's kind of a big deal that the national conversation can change so rapidly and suddenly have real political effect.
If I'm general counsel of a bank, a "national shift of consciousness" isn't going to persuade me to accept dispensary deposits, because what happens if your local US Attorney decides to ignore Holder's memo, or a Republican AG gets appointed in 2016 and releases the hounds? These memos have existed for a long time for state MJ laws themselves, but they also have a long history of being ignored or finessed whenever a prosecutor gets a hair up their rear end.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
well if anything i hope this becomes a signal for further legalization across the country. to have an endorsement from the attorney general like that and all the language from obama just make me oddly positive.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The President can unilaterally abrogate a treaty though? Carter did it with the Taiwan defense treaty and the Supreme Court abstained from ruling on it since it was a political question.
The Convention on Psychotropic Substances was implemented via a legislative act (the Psychotropic Substances Act), so no, not in this case.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Anyone remember DEA chief Michele Leonhart? She's the worthless drug war profiteering fucker who said that cannabis was as dangerous as heroin.

quote:

DEA chief Michele M. Leonhart slammed President Obama’s recent comments comparing smoking marijuana to drinking alcohol at an annual meeting of the nation’s sheriffs this week, according to two sheriffs who said her remarks drew a standing ovation.

Bristol County Sheriff Thomas M. Hodgson said he was thrilled to hear the head of the Drug Enforcement Administration take her boss to task.

“She’s frustrated for the same reasons we are,” Hodgson said. “She said she felt the administration didn’t understand the science enough to make those statements. She was particularly frustrated with the fact that, according to her, the White House participated in a softball game with a pro-legalization group. ... But she said her lowest point in 33 years in the DEA was when she learned they’d flown a hemp flag over the Capitol on July 4. The sheriffs were all shocked. This is the first time in 28 years I’ve ever heard anyone in her position be this candid.”

The American flag made of hemp was reportedly flown over the Capitol on Independence Day with the backing of a Colorado congressman.

DEA spokeswoman Dawn Deardon said she was not in the room and couldn’t discuss Leonhart’s comments to the sheriffs.

“It is not a surprise that the DEA is against the legalization of marijuana,” Deardon said. “As Jay Carney pointed out, the administration is not for legalization of marijuana. ... I would just tell you that legalization is not a good idea.”

Kern County, Calif., Sheriff Donny Youngblood, president of the Major Counties Sheriffs’ Association, the group that sponsored Leonhart’s talk Tuesday at its annual meeting in Washington, D.C., said Leonhart called out Obama for what Youngblood described as “irresponsible” comments that were a “big slap in the face” to cops who have lost their lives keeping drugs off the street.

“This is a woman who has spent 33 years of her life fighting drug abuse in the DEA, her entire life. To have the president of the United States publicly say marijuana was a bad habit like alcohol was appalling to everyone in that room,” Youngblood said. “I think the way that she felt was that it was a betrayal of what she does for the American people in enforcing our drug laws. ... She got a standing ovation.” http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2014/01/say_dea_chief_ripped_obama_remarks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

'Noooooo My fat paycheck!'
The DEA administration collectively cried, citing debunked science under their breath.

• Locked thread