Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
They also shouldn't be made primarily of fragile panels or have so much combiner kibble that you can leave out the leg dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Arsenal_12 posted:

This is exactly how I'm feeling. This and Glacial Lord are the only third party combiners I've bought and don't want to back out now.

I do feel like a 120/150 dollar toy shouldn't have these issues, though.

I agree. I mean, at the price point you're also expected to take a certain amount of care of your toys, but at the same time, the poo poo shouldn't be so prone to breaking in what was perfectly normal, otherwise safe transforming on my lap.

In any case, it's not a large tab, nor does it really seem to have been necessary for combined or robot mode at all. I don't know about alt mode, but I doubt it was a must-have piece for that either, and aesthetically there's almost no perceptible difference.

So should that piece be that easy to break? Absolutely not. Am I still glad I have him? Totally.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Hearing about this tab this is depressing, but on the other hand ...

So perty.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

No Your Other Left posted:

They also shouldn't be made primarily of fragile panels or have so much combiner kibble that you can leave out the leg dudes.

"An essential part of the aesthetic they were attempting and clearly a foundation of the main frame" is a weird definition of kibble. I mean I get it if you don't like the partsforming nature of it, but it's not like he's got a entire trailer hanging off his backside.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Other posted:

They did get the Skids wave, it's sitting in my Pile of Loot as we speak. It just sold out real quick is all.

Mine's still on preorder, showing arrival January 2014... BBTS you big hot mess

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
They had a chance to make a non-partsforming Voyager sized Motormaster and leg dudes that actually became legs but instead they just stuck all the leg parts into Motormaster. It was okay for Colossus because that was a really early third party combiner and was built around existing molds, but now that we have stuff like TFC's Hercules and Uranos it just feels lazy.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 22, 2014

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Phy posted:

I actually liked deluxe Jolt, though I lost the brick gun behind a shelf PDQ. He's got these creepy little shrimp eyes, like that guy nobody sits next to on the bus.

That head is awesome because it works just as well or better upside down.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

They had a chance to make a non-partsforming Voyager sized Motormaster and leg dudes that actually became legs but instead they just stuck all the leg parts into Motormaster. It was okay for Colossus because that was a really early third party combiner and was built around existing molds, but now that we have stuff like TFC's Hercules and Uranos it just feels lazy.

It's really an aesthetic choice, man. To me, he looks like some mad scientist bot who gathered up all the cars he could find to jam on his body. I like it a lot. I like Hercules too. They are different things with different attempts to complete a picture of a bot.

It seems weird to me to judge it for something that it wasn't trying to do? That's like watching Adventure Time and wondering why no one is ever trying to solve murder mysteries.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Magic posted:

That's like watching Adventure Time and wondering why no one is ever trying to solve murder mysteries.

Probably because the cast is not very good at murder mysteries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcZCYSBXNFc

In other news, UK Toy Fair has seemingly attached one of the mystery names in the TF4 lineup to an alt mode: Lockdown is the Lamborghini Aventador. I'd be excited over potentially getting a sweet transforming Lambo, but I'm still sore about not ever getting a Mirage/Dino 458 out of DOTM.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Magic posted:

It's really an aesthetic choice, man. To me, he looks like some mad scientist bot who gathered up all the cars he could find to jam on his body. I like it a lot. I like Hercules too. They are different things with different attempts to complete a picture of a bot.

It seems weird to me to judge it for something that it wasn't trying to do?

Yeah it's a cool aesthetic, but the design philosophy is a bit of a letdown. I was hoping that now that they got to make an entirely new combiner, they'd use the lack of restraints to make something more coherent and self-contained. Why couldn't the back of the shins have been integrated into Diesel's transformation scheme instead of just turning into detached parts or massive blocks plugged onto his shoulders? Why couldn't the foot parts have been integrated into the leg dudes? (Although thinking about it that second part would have gotten in the way of the "any of the smaller members can be an arm" thing they did, which is pretty dang neat and creative too.) They could have kept the same visual style without taking the shortcut of partsforming.

And if they had to partsform, why not make the extra parts into something interesting that stood on its own, like the little ship that Micromaster Devestator makes out of its combiner kibble? The fists being detachable parts is fine since it enables the cool arm swapping gimmick, and the rest of the members of the team are well done, but Diesel could have been done way better.

Captain Magic posted:

That's like watching Adventure Time and wondering why no one is ever trying to solve murder mysteries.

But they do? :confused:

e;fb on the murder thing

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah it's a cool aesthetic, but the design philosophy is a bit of a letdown. I was hoping that now that they got to make an entirely new combiner, they'd use the lack of restraints to make something more coherent and self-contained. Why couldn't the back of the shins have been integrated into Diesel's transformation scheme instead of just turning into detached parts or massive blocks plugged onto his shoulders? Why couldn't the foot parts have been integrated into the leg dudes? (Although thinking about it that second part would have gotten in the way of the "any of the smaller members can be an arm" thing they did, which is pretty dang neat and creative too.) They could have kept the same visual style without taking the shortcut of partsforming.

And if they had to partsform, why not make the extra parts into something interesting that stood on its own, like the little ship that Micromaster Devestator makes out of its combiner kibble? The fists being detachable parts is fine since it enables the cool arm swapping gimmick, and the rest of the members of the team are well done, but Diesel could have been done way better.

I don't know man, I like the way the trailer bits turn into enormous gently caress-off cannons on MotorMaster. In my mind, it fits with that mad scientist idea--he's all like, "I WANT TO HAVE ALL THE POSSIBLE PARTS ON MY BODY, APPROPRIATENESS BE DAMNED!"

The extra parts do stand on their own, in my mind. Extra missile launchers and swords and shotguns that combine to make a sniper gun? Hooraaay! I mean, I get what you're saying about extra little alt modes, but honestly I just don't think partsforming bothers me very much. I understand why it gets to others--because just like you I dig a cool toy that doesn't need things to detach and shift around before they come back on again. But when it happens, I am pleased if the result looks good.

I imagine that the price point had something to do with the manner in which it all combines, though. It's pretty low for third-party, outside of MotorMaster.

quote:

But they do? :confused:

e;fb on the murder thing

I was going to say "hardcore loving" instead, but I didn't want to bring up that image in everyone's mind so I went for another genre. I had a feeling I was walking into a trap of my own design.

Anyway now I have to watch that episode.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Magic posted:

I don't know man, I like the way the trailer bits turn into enormous gently caress-off cannons on MotorMaster. In my mind, it fits with that mad scientist idea--he's all like, "I WANT TO HAVE ALL THE POSSIBLE PARTS ON MY BODY, APPROPRIATENESS BE DAMNED!"

The extra parts do stand on their own, in my mind. Extra missile launchers and swords and shotguns that combine to make a sniper gun? Hooraaay! I mean, I get what you're saying about extra little alt modes, but honestly I just don't think partsforming bothers me very much. I understand why it gets to others--because just like you I dig a cool toy that doesn't need things to detach and shift around before they come back on again. But when it happens, I am pleased if the result looks good.

I imagine that the price point had something to do with the manner in which it all combines, though. It's pretty low for third-party, outside of MotorMaster.

Didn't really think about it that way. Now that you mention it though, that's pretty much the approach Energon Bruticus took too, and that's awesome. Good point about the budget too.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

You can manipulate Whirl's Lightpiping with his antenna and his legs have other options if you prefer them more "traditional". :haw:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Didn't really think about it that way. Now that you mention it though, that's pretty much the approach Energon Bruticus took too, and that's awesome. Good point about the budget too.

Everybody's got a cool opinion. Thank you for sharing yours! I dig it.

Also, Ka0, you suggested a cool fix for not-Brainstorm, and thank you for that. I probably will not do it because I am the least crafty man on Earth.

Anyway, here are some pictures of what happened with my Intimidator:

That's the broken bit, next to the ball joint. It's just that little shock of white there in the corner above the wheel.

Just a wider view of the part. The tab would be extending out toward the ball joint if it wasn't broken.

Different view of the "wing." You can see pretty clearly how that big black oval circles back up around to make the back wheels.

This is with the broken piece attached--works perfectly fine and isn't noticeable at all.

I was thinking earlier that 3rd-party transformers are sort of what would happen if all those rad Lego designers figured out a way to legally mass-produce and sell their incredible designs. They would (and do) break so many rules of Lego-standard design for the sake of aesthetic that you look at the standard stuff and go, "oh, that's why those rules are there."

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gammatron 64 posted:

A lot of people complain that Whirl is based on the G1 toy and not the IDW comics, but he looks really loving good, dudes. I just hope he doesn't have any flaws that don't show up in pictures, like Blitzwing's arms or floppy joints or something.

This does not look really loving good.

They didn't even try with the entire front half of the vehicle mode. You can see right through it. Granted, it's official Hasbro photography so it could be completely mistransformed, but with a vehicle mode that bleh, it all rests on robot mode, and since I have no sentimental attachment to the G1 version of the character, the only way they were going to get me excited about Whirl was to do the IDW version. I'll have to see it in person to decide for sure, but while it's a solid representation/update of the old toy in robot mode, I just don't know if I care.

Ka0 posted:

The amount of broken tab reports on tfw is making me anxious. I can still cancel my preorder. Don't really want to though, Menas0r is my first (and probably only) 3rd party combiner.

I've only seen two or three, and I've been following that thread closely. Seems like if you're careful about it, the risk is minimal, unless you're the one guy who seems to think it was broken off in the package. And if it does snap, yeah, that's loving annoying, but at least the toy still functions properly.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

RaspberryCommie posted:

So the latest RiD. Apparently that Arcee is the only female transformer is a bunch of poo poo now. Unless Nautica and Chromia aren't Cybertronians or something.

No one's reading dark cybertron, the mtmte cover was a bigger spoiler and that went full disclosure, this is a last page reveal that has nothing to do with anything else in the storyline, and it's pretty big news that could use discussion.

This month in dark cybertron at the last page the lost light crew in metroplex are accosted by two ladybots.

John Barber has discussed that when he's writing arcee he always gets concerned because she's representative of the entirety of women when it comes to transformers because well she is, so this was probably going to happen sooner rather than later.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think about half the comic fans in the thread are following Dark Cybertron. I think what everyone is doing is wishing the crossover was over.

"It's just a scratch" was great though, and as for the two fembots I liked their little exchange at the end but that reveal was just another in a desperate series of reveals trying to fashion an epic story out of scabbed over retcons and shoddy plot twists that don't mean anything.

Oh and another weird To Sell Toys moment. But it's Swerve so it felt more like beautiful parody.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think this confirms that the Bugatti is Drift and this is how he looks in AoE.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got my "bootleg" Lambor and Alert, and they look pretty drat official to me, at least the boxes do, going to take them out shortly. Is there a comparison shot of the "real" box with these "bootleg" boxes?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Got my "bootleg" Lambor and Alert, and they look pretty drat official to me, at least the boxes do, going to take them out shortly. Is there a comparison shot of the "real" box with these "bootleg" boxes?

This post goes into excruciating detail in comparing Takara and KO Sideswipe.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rita Repulsa posted:

No one's reading dark cybertron, the mtmte cover was a bigger spoiler and that went full disclosure, this is a last page reveal that has nothing to do with anything else in the storyline, and it's pretty big news that could use discussion.

This month in dark cybertron at the last page the lost light crew in metroplex are accosted by two ladybots.

John Barber has discussed that when he's writing arcee he always gets concerned because she's representative of the entirety of women when it comes to transformers because well she is, so this was probably going to happen sooner rather than later.
At least with this issue of RiD there seems to be things happening finally, instead of robots staring at the undead Metrotitan. Except what's happened to Metroplex, and where has Alpha Trion has disappeared to since he was using Metroplex as his personal transport

Algae Magnet
Jul 1, 2013
Late to the party, but RiD and Mtmte volume 5 finally released on Kindle.

RiD was fantastic as usual.
Magnus was a bit of a surpise and Tailgate finally managed to melt Cyclonus' icy heart :neckbeard:.

Mtmte was a disappointment.
I liked volume 4, everything coming to a head in Iacon, so I was looking forward to what the Autobots/Decepticons next act would be...which was jack poo poo. It was all focusing on the Shockwave/Jirax/Optimus storyline. Which I know is gonna be big, but I'll be damned if it doesn't bore me. Only consolation was getting some back story on Soundwave and the Cassettes

I take it that's it for the split story lines now and that I have to wait for Dark Cybertron for more?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Umm, I think you got your spoilers around the wrong way

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Who stole my photo and put it up on AllSpark?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The MSJ posted:

I think this confirms that the Bugatti is Drift and this is how he looks in AoE.

Not anime enough.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Captain Magic posted:

Everybody's got a cool opinion. Thank you for sharing yours! I dig it.

Also, Ka0, you suggested a cool fix for not-Brainstorm, and thank you for that. I probably will not do it because I am the least crafty man on Earth.

My camera died, I'll borrow a new one on Saturday, I'll post pics so you can see how easy it is to set it up.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Just read the newest Dark Cybertron issue. Forget boring, this poo poo is downright incoherent. And the writing of the ending hook was embarrassing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SpazmasterX posted:

I want a t-rex Optimus Prime
Then you're in luck.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Knormal posted:

Then you're in luck.

I'll be honest. I feel more inclined right now to pick those up then the movie toys. Bumblecycle, Optimus Rex and Inferno speed boat all look really cool.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Knormal posted:

Then you're in luck.

Looks a lot better than that Transformers GO! dragon, that's for sure. I kind of hope this is a trend. No matter how terrible TF4 ends up being, if it results in a couple years of dinosaur alt modes for a bunch of characters, it'll be worth it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Which seller did you go through? I've contemplated ordering some of the more cheaper offerings on eBay but I'm still holding out that Hasbro will release them stateside for $20-$30 each.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Which seller did you go through? I've contemplated ordering some of the more cheaper offerings on eBay but I'm still holding out that Hasbro will release them stateside for $20-$30 each.

I'd buy another Lambor if they brought it stateside for 30 bucks just to have the KO one on my desk at work. Best bet is to pay attention to convention season to see if they mention anything. The only issue I could see with releasing Sideswipe or Prowl would be the licensing issues with the car companies.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'd be really surprised to see them as low as $30. They'll be TRU exclusives and prob cost $40-50.

Which isn't bad, it's what you'd pay for the knockoffs. Sideswipe and Prowl seem like obvious choices for a US release, but then again we're talking about a company that choose Acid Storm over Starscream 2.0 and Sunstorm...

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Optimus Rex looks like BW Megatron combined with a construction vehicle.

Why isn't THIS in the Generations line?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I bought them for 80 bucks total for the pair, with free shipping, from this dude who was linked earlier in the thread: http://www.ebay.com/usr/edayshop-on?_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

They're away for Chinese New Year until February 4th though, so there'll be a delay in shipment if you buy now. When I bought them they went out the very next morning though. They came wrapped in a layer of packing tape on top of black padding stuff, and that's it. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got this really sweet email from BBTS regarding my Goldfire/Waspinator wave preorder:

quote:

Hi - We wanted to update you about the status of your preorder for Generation Deluxe Wave 01 figures. Hasbro unfortunately had a large shortage on this assortment and filled only 20% of our order, which is extremely unusual. We were recently notified that no more inventory was available and nothing further would be shipped to us. Using our large supply network we were able to track down a significant amount of inventory from another market (at $135 a case!) We are very pleased to be able to fill your preorders on this item, and we apologize for the delay. Hasbro typically does not have supply issues this severe on initial orders so we needed to give them some time to give us final word on if they would be able to ship more product to us or not. Cases, Sets, and Singles for Dreadwing, Goldfire, and Waspinator will fill in early February after our shipment arrives. Roughly 70% of the Skids preorders will fill in early February. If you ordered more than 2 pieces, your preorders for additional pieces over 2 have been moved to the end of the line so we can attempt to get 1 or 2 pieces to as many people as possible. We will attempt to find more Skids, but it is possible that we may not be able to. Preorders for Skids placed before 12/17 will fill, preorders between 12/17 and 12/25 will likely fill if we see typical cancellation rates, preorders 12/26 and later may not fill, but we will do our best. We will pull the Skids from any cancelled/unpaid case and set orders as well, so that should improve everyone's chances.

Thanks for buying from BBTS, and sorry again about the delay. Above all else we want to be your go-to source for Transformers and we'll do everything we can to fill your orders.

Thanks
Joel Boblit
President
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com

:sigh:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

That's odd. That wave is pretty common around here at this point, although usually only Dreadwings and the odd Goldfire are left on the pegs. Still, it indicates that that wave is being steadily shipped to stores.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I got Rhinox today! What a delightful toy. His knees are a bit floppy but otherwise he has such a great silhouette and posture. Very cool stuff.

I also grabbed the Target exclusive Abominus set and I really like that too! Huge mean fuckin' William Birkin arm, just like this gross huge hulking monstrosity. Really loving cool.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I still haven't seen the Skids/Waspinator set at all except for once at the NYC Toys R Us. And my Skids' leg fell promptly off just after I'd gotten home and tossed the packaging/receipt. :(

Haven't seen a single Rhinox yet. I'm really hoping I don't miss 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
TRU has a listing for MP Prowl for $60