Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

At some point somebody should just make a football names thread to save us from ourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Check out the sweet deep ball Stephen Morris has got:

https://vine.co/v/MBdLZ00mh1E

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

GNU Order posted:

At some point somebody should just make a football names thread to save us from ourselves

Like the gas chamber really needs another thread

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I hope Blaine Gabbert wins a superbowl

Backing up for the Browns.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Doltos posted:

Bertrand Bortles would be an absolutely terrible halfback that gets taken in the third round. Barry Bortles would be a relief pitcher for the Royals back in 1986. Benny Bortles would of course be a heroin addicted saxophonist.

Doltos posted:

Brock Bortles - Good, can't believe I didn't think of this.
Brian Bortles - Really bad white WR from a directional Michigan.
Bart Bortles - Doesn't exist. No one in the world would ever combine these two names.
Burt Bortles - Children show puppet.

I can see these guys in my head and it's the best thing.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Senior bowl notes:

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/seen-and-heard-at-the-senior-bowl-012314

quote:

**There is a lot of belief that Banner is in charge of almost everything, and that Lombardi -- though hidden from the public -- "is always talking." Two people told me they absolutely believe the rumors about the Browns and Johnny Manziel are true. "You can put it in your Twitter now and save it," one person said. "They're taking Manziel."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well I mean there is the proven winner and intangibles to consider.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Johnny Manziel is a man who knows what to do with a brick

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Johnny loving Factory-of-sadness

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Intruder posted:

Johnny loving Factory-of-sadness

Does Cleveland actually have a good O-Line or are we going to see a repeat of RG3?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I believe they have a top 5 oline?

They have Joe Thomas and Alex Mack

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

John Brown posted:

Why are people so hard on Glennon? He may have not debuted as well as Luck, RGIII, or Wilson, but I thought he played really good for a rookie QB in a dumpster fire of a coaching staff.

From a couple pages back, but Glennon wasn't even among the top 100 quarterbacks in college football his senior season, let alone the top 100 players.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Intruder posted:

they don't have anything besides them

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

From a couple pages back, but Glennon wasn't even among the top 100 quarterbacks in college football his senior season, let alone the top 100 players.

Again, I'm speaking towards what he's done his rookie season in the NFL. Regardless of him looking like a giraffe he's played pretty well.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Roasted Donut posted:

Schwartz had one good season and one not-good season, guards can be upgraded easily - it's hardly a dumpster fire, so long as they devote draft picks or free agent money to getting guards that aren't Shawn Lauvao.

On the other hand, wouldn't be a draft without every amateur pundit yelling THE BROWNS NEED WEAPONS so we'll end up with two running backs and three receivers in the first three rounds

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Roasted Donut posted:

If they do something like 1) Manziel 2) Jordan Matthews 3) Jarvis Landry and get Ben Tate in Free Agency, that could be a pretty good offensive haul.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

amaranthine posted:

Schwartz had one good season and one not-good season, guards can be upgraded easily - it's hardly a dumpster fire, so long as they devote draft picks or free agent money to getting guards that aren't Shawn Lauvao.

On the other hand, wouldn't be a draft without every amateur pundit yelling THE BROWNS NEED WEAPONS so we'll end up with two running backs and three receivers in the first three rounds

I still feel fairly certain the Browns are going to sign Ben Tate so probably won't need a RB

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Intruder posted:

I still feel fairly certain the Browns are going to sign Ben Tate so probably won't need a RB

Probably true.

More picks to squander! It's like christmas all over again.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
It's a well known fact that Joe Montana is the best QB name of all time

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Intruder posted:

Alex Mack is a free agent who will most likely chase money/wins. He sounded pretty upset at the front office after the Chud firing.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Mack and Ward both have very good reason to leave, and I think both said the Chud firing would influence their decision. So if nothing else firing Chud lost the Browns two starters yay

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
It seemed like Mack was already disgruntled even before the Chud firing, wasn't there some story during the offseason that he was pissed that management never even approached his camp about an extension before his walk year?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Rap posted:

Mack and Ward both have very good reason to leave, and I think both said the Chud firing would influence their decision. So if nothing else firing Chud lost the Browns two starters yay

Walterfootball is floating the rumor that he was fired because he wasn't sold on Manziel for QB. That would be a very interesting controversy.

Gain a QB and lose his line.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Any chance Mack gets franchised?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

PrinceRandom posted:

Walterfootball is floating the rumor that he was fired because he wasn't sold on Manziel for QB. That would be a very interesting controversy.

Gain a QB and lose his line.

I'd like to imagine the conversation went along the lines of "Hey maybe we should interview him at least before committing oh bye."

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Grozz Nuy posted:

It seemed like Mack was already disgruntled even before the Chud firing, wasn't there some story during the offseason that he was pissed that management never even approached his camp about an extension before his walk year?

That happens all the time and both sides get past it though. But either way yeah he can't be happy with the front office now

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Intruder posted:

Any chance Mack gets franchised?
Would you franchise Mack or TJ Ward? I'm actually not sure about that answer, but they might have to choose. :shobon:

John Brown posted:

Why are people so hard on Glennon? He may have not debuted as well as Luck, RGIII, or Wilson, but I thought he played really good for a rookie QB in a dumpster fire of a coaching staff.
Saying that someone isn't a first round prospect isn't really being hard on them. I think Matt Miller even had him as a top 10, maybe top 5 pick at one time. Did you think Mike Glennon was a Top 10 player?

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 24, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well the offensive lineman number is much higher than the safety number so probably Ward I guess

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
That presumes that you believe Ward is as good of a safety as Mack is a center, and personally I would disagree but who knows what the Browns administration thinks about literally anything at this point.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Last year's o-line number was nearly $10m which is incredibly high even for an elite center

For comparison, Chris Myers will be $7m and he's arguably the best center in the NFL

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
poo poo I didn't know "OL" was just one category. Otherwise I'd say Mack if we could just do the average of the top 5 centers. Hm...I've been so down on Ward recently but overall he is above average.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah, for the franchise number offensive line is considered a single position. Good if you want to keep an elite LT, bad if you want to keep an elite anything else

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I didn't realize all offensive line positions were valued equally for the franchise tag, I just knew that safeties were one of the lowest valued positions for franchise purposes. That does probably prevent Mack from getting tagged, but from his perspective that's probably a good thing.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

That presumes that you believe Ward is as good of a safety as Mack is a center, and personally I would disagree but who knows what the Browns administration thinks about literally anything at this point.
I haven't watched a lot of Browns games lately, but it seems they are both at least good. Well, TJ Ward is good and Alex Mack is really good.

I guess it'll come down to whoever they feel is more able to be signed if neither are under contract by the deadline.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Last year's oline number was just under $10m, last year's safety number was just under $7m, so it depends how you value each position and how you value each player. $10m is LT money though

Franchising Mack would make his cap hit (guaranteed mind you) about $2m below Joe Thomas :stare:

e: Duane Brown is signed through 2018 and his largest cap his is $9.75m and the last two years of his contract have no dead money if he's cut, man the Texans got a loving steal

Intruder fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 24, 2014

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

I didn't realize all offensive line positions were valued equally for the franchise tag, I just knew that safeties were one of the lowest valued positions for franchise purposes. That does probably prevent Mack from getting tagged, but from his perspective that's probably a good thing.

They have over 24 million in cap space right now without making any cuts or restructures, they can afford to sign anyone they want.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

A Pale Horse posted:

They have over 24 million in cap space right now without making any cuts or restructures, they can afford to sign anyone they want.

Pale Horse I've seen Tampa getting a variety of players with their first three picks, with a couple of people saying they'll get Mosley. Based on how Lovie is, what do you think the focus will be in Tampa?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Pale Horse I've seen Tampa getting a variety of players with their first three picks, with a couple of people saying they'll get Mosley. Based on how Lovie is, what do you think the focus will be in Tampa?

I think its still really hard to tell, especially with Licht just coming on board this week. The biggest need positions are Pass Rusher, O-line, Tight End, Receiver, probably in that order so I would say knowing Lovie's philosophy they try to snag a pass rusher early. Clowney will certainly be gone and its a matter of if they think either Barr or Mack can transition to a 4-3 DE successfully. 7th is also pretty high for any of the other traditional 4-3 DEs not named Clowney. A lot also depends on whether Nicks can play or not which we just don't know yet (and may not before the draft). If he can't then we absolutely need a guard. Davin Joseph was atrocious this year and the rotating cast that played the other guard position (Merideth, Larsen, Zuttah) weren't much better. Still 7 is awfully high for a guard especially in a draft like this one where there aren't any standout guard prospects to speak of. I'd say Ebron is a chance though again, its pretty drat high for a tight end. Sammy Watkins is a guy I've also seen mocked to us a bunch and while I'm never against the idea of adding another talented receiver its not a priority with Mike Williams coming back next year. The wild card is of course what they think of Glennon. They've been mildly positive about him but no one has made anything approaching a commitment to him so if say Bridgewater is there at 7 for some reason, or even Carr, do they take the shot? If no one they really like is there at seven they may also trade down to recover our 3rd round pick (which the Jets have for Revis). Its still really early but I definitely think they're going to try for a Dline pass rusher to complement McCoy early if they don't take a swing on a quarterback.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

A Pale Horse posted:

They won't franchise Mack or Ward. They had a ton of space last year and didn't use it, and there's no way they value Mack at $10 million or Ward as a top-5 paid defensive back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

They won't franchise Mack or Ward. They had a ton of space last year and didn't use it, and there's no way they value Mack at $10 million or Ward as a top-5 paid defensive back.

Oh yeah, whether they will or not is another story, but if they want they can afford to sign either of them.

• Locked thread