Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah I actually really like his model in general, I just think his base is waaaay too empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
He would look REALLY COOL on one of those Mekanika Studios bases that Dragonforge is producing.

Edit:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Luebbi posted:

Care to elaborate? Apart from lovely list sorting options and no Theme force support, I love the program and play with it exclusively - less clutter on the table than cards, and better to read (on the ipad at least). The packs cost less than a deck of cards and get updated with every new release, the errata are included in the cards, and the Reference tool is great. I really dig it.

As was already mentioned, the app was inappropriately architect-ed (using a game engine to display stat cards and build lists? I dont even have the words to express what a poor choice this is, its beyond amateur).

The UI is an absolute unintuitive trainwreck. Want to look at the tier lists that THG is too incompetent to implement, well I hope you didnt go to look at the cards, because you cant access commonly sought information related to cards(like tier information) from there, you have to create a new list just to reference the tiers instead.

Have you ever tracked damage on a non-grid model? How long did it take you to figure out how to do it considering there are ZERO interface indicators (affordances) that it is a drag-scroll interaction?

I hope you don't want to use it on Android btw, because not only was it not designed idiomatically (thus having a "Back" button up top, and the android "back" arrow at the bottom of the screen, they often do different things depending on the screen), it apparently wasn't even designed to not crash every 30 minutes if you are actually using it to build lists.

For petes sake, to access the card image in the list building portion of the program, you have to click on the name (unit view) OR the image (army view), depending on what screen you are on, despite that both screens are presenting the same types of information in the same way!

Other things already mentioned: tier lists aren't implemented properly, caster/unit attachments aren't implemented properly. The fact that they can't even figure out how Arcane Tempest Gun Mages can be both a Cygnar unit AND a Mercenary Unit under certain contracts, and instead resort to duplicating the card, shows the level of incompetence that is THG.

Lord Of Texas posted:

My biggest gripe is that the buttons are way too small for my mobile display (4.7"), but on my tablet (9.5") it's no issue at all. Buttons to increment/decrement damage instead of swipe-only would be nice too.

So what you are saying is that the UI is unintuitive and has limited affordances for the user, but you'll still shill for this terrible product? Yep, apparently this is your position because:

Lord Of Texas posted:

It's at this point that I express my gratitude that Privateer Press has put the effort forward to support the development of any sort of helper application at all. It has flaws, but it works well enough and it's 100% more than their competitor who has 100 times the market share offers. Easy to get lost in the bitching!

It is nowhere close to fully functional, the price is absolutely highway robbery considering the quality of the product. For MANY MANY customers it does not "work well enough". Saying "it's better than GW" is the faintest praise I have ever heard.

Lord Of Texas, this is the reason gamers get poo poo products, because you accept them and then even defend the people that produced them. You would likely never pay for any app that was designed as poorly as WarRoom if it wasnt associated with your preferred miniatures game.

Lord Of Texas posted:

I have absolutely no problem with that since they've provided a fully functional alternative for a reasonable price. That's completely standard IP protection.

That's the really amazing part, is that iBodger actually does things the "programmers" at THG can't even figure out how to do, like tier lists. iBodger was also not really publishing anything more than names, point costs, FA's, and Warjack points per caster, it was literally the least amount of IP needed to make the product work, and it worked flawlessly as a list-builder, something that Warrom can't let me do without frequent crashing or forcing me to define that yes, I do want to attach my Halberdier UA to my Houseguard Halberdiers, not the unit of Battle Mages or my Warcaster.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 24, 2014

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
On a different topic: Rhan & Issyria

I've heard the idea repeated on multiple podcasts/posts that people think Issyria is not a good 2-list pairing with Rhan, and I'm really curious if anyone can explain why.

In my experience Rhan is soft to Menoth, stealth spam(either units or BG), and knockdown-immunity. Generally one dealt with these types of lists with Ravyn, Ossyan, or eVyros (who was the only one with a really decent gameplan vs. the stealth battlegroup.) For Ravyn or Ossyan, you gave them Ayiana & Holt, a bunch of pew-pew, and let them do work or just caster-kill if your opponent got sloppy. This was of course in a pre-Houseguard Thane and pre-Issyria world.

Issyria seems like a very solid answer to all of Rhan's problem matches. She can reduce Def without resorting to knockdown, she can give her entire army true sight for a turn to negate stealth, and she can take Ayiana and Holt (and doesn't have to fight for them like she would with Ravyn or Ossyan) to deal with Menoth. What am I missing?

Unrelated: I'm also psyched that she gives Ret a really good low-model count option for Hardcore.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

GEMorris posted:

As was already mentioned, the app was inappropriately architect-ed (using a game engine to display stat cards and build lists? I dont even have the words to express what a poor choice this is, its beyond amateur).

The UI is an absolute unintuitive trainwreck. Want to look at the tier lists that THG is too incompetent to implement, well I hope you didnt go to look at the cards, because you cant access commonly sought information related to cards(like tier information) from there, you have to create a new list just to reference the tiers instead.

Have you ever tracked damage on a non-grid model? How long did it take you to figure out how to do it considering there are ZERO interface indicators (affordances) that it is a drag-scroll interaction?

I hope you don't want to use it on Android btw, because not only was it not designed idiomatically (thus having a "Back" button up top, and the android "back" arrow at the bottom of the screen), it apparently wasn't even designed to not crash every 30 minutes if you are actually using it to build lists.

For petes sake, to access the card image in the list building portion of the program, you have to click on the name (unit view) OR the image (army view), depending on what screen you are on, despite that both screens are presenting the same types of information in the same way!

Other things already mentioned: tier lists aren't implemented properly, caster/unit attachments aren't implemented properly. The fact that they can't even figure out how Arcane Tempest Gun Mages can be both a Cygnar unit AND a Mercenary Unit under certain contracts, and instead resort to duplicating the card, shows the level of incompetence that is THG.

So what you are saying is that the UI is unintuitive and has limited affordances for the user, but you'll still shill for this terrible product? Yep, apparently this is your position because:

It is nowhere close to fully functional, the price is absolutely highway robbery considering the quality of the product. For MANY MANY customers it does not "work well enough". Saying "it's better than GW" is the faintest praise I have ever heard.

Lord Of Texas, this is the reason gamers get poo poo products, because you accept them and then even defend the people that produced them. You would likely never pay for any app that was designed as poorly as WarRoom if it wasnt associated with your preferred miniatures game.

1) Calm down and don't act like you know me.

2) I'm not a "shill" and I have no control over whether you or anyone else pays for the app. They can grab it and evaluate on their own.

3) $7 for full access to my faction's cards is worth the deal to me as long as the app is reasonably usable, which to me it is.

4) My benevolence for the app has nothing to do with the studio who developed it and everything to do with the fact that such an app exists and is functional. Yes, "better than GW" is faint praise, but that's where miniature wargaming is at.

5) Obviously you think the implementation leaves a lot to be desired, and I already pointed out that I had gripes too, but overall I'm happy with the purchase and the app has been functional for me. That's almost certainly due to the IP and not the suboptimal implementation, but that's why IP is valuable isn't it?

6) Calm down again, Jesus.

7) If you knew me, you'd know that "happily accepting whatever a company shits out" is furthest from the truth. The whole reason I got into Warmachine was disillusionment with the awful game design of 40k, and I never gave GW a dime in the first place (was gifted an Eldar army from a close friend, bought supplies from P3/Vallejo/local hobby stores).

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 24, 2014

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

GEMorris posted:

On a different topic: Rhan & Issyria

I've heard the idea repeated on multiple podcasts/posts that people think Issyria is not a good 2-list pairing with Rhan, and I'm really curious if anyone can explain why.

In my experience Rhan is soft to Menoth, stealth spam(either units or BG), and knockdown-immunity. Generally one dealt with these types of lists with Ravyn, Ossyan, or eVyros (who was the only one with a really decent gameplan vs. the stealth battlegroup.) For Ravyn or Ossyan, you gave them Ayiana & Holt, a bunch of pew-pew, and let them do work or just caster-kill if your opponent got sloppy. This was of course in a pre-Houseguard Thane and pre-Issyria world.

Issyria seems like a very solid answer to all of Rhan's problem matches. She can reduce Def without resorting to knockdown, she can give her entire army true sight for a turn to negate stealth, and she can take Ayiana and Holt (and doesn't have to fight for them like she would with Ravyn or Ossyan) to deal with Menoth. What am I missing?

Unrelated: I'm also psyched that she gives Ret a really good low-model count option for Hardcore.

A lot of Menoth's troublesome units that you'd want to Blinding Light, Errants and Zealots coming to mind immediately, you can't target with Blinding Light. Additionally, if Issyria ever gets lit on fire, you're basically on a ticking clock to death if it doesn't go out. eFeora is very common to see as part of a Menoth player's pair, and a bonded Judicator making GBS threads fire everywhere will not only kill all your infantry before it gets to do anything, but eventually it's going to catch Ladyfloat and make her day miserable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I like the app and bought all the cards. please send someone to collect my shameful body before my family comes home.

:suicide:

still play with real cards though for x-reference purposes

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Real hurthling! posted:

I like the app and bought all the cards. please send someone to collect my shameful body before my family comes home.

:suicide:

still play with real cards though for x-reference purposes

Yeah I have War Room for the toilet and cards for the table. I have books too but that's mostly for stuff to slip into IKRPG games.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I use my personally-updated copy of ibodger for list building and just use war room for rules/card reference. Works much better when that is all you want to use it as.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
So I'm pretty new to the game and I'm still looking around for what army I want to build. I'm definitely going with Protectorate, and I have the Menoth half of the 2-player starter box, along with a Vassal. (Choir coming very soon, of course.) eFeora is probably my favorite Protectorate caster, so here was the plan:

Faction: Protectorate
Casters: 1/1
Feora, Protector Of The Flame (*6pts)
*Crusader (6pts)
*Redeemer (6pts) (Bonded to Feora)
*Vanquisher (8pts)
Choir (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
Temple Flameguard (Leader and 9 grunts) (6pts)
Temple Flameguard Officer and Standard-Bearer (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Examplar Bastions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)

Possible changes could include replacing the Redeemer and maybe some infantry with a Judicator. Feora's pretty infantry-heavy so I went light on the jacks but I know Menoth can field a lot so I would be open for anything.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 24, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GEMorris posted:

Lord Of Texas, this is the reason gamers get poo poo products, because you accept them and then even defend the people that produced them.
So the whole situation should improve if we kill him? I'm gonna go assemble the torch-and-pitchfork mob. :v:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, I use warroom all the time and it serves all the purposes I want it for well. It doesn't stop me acknowledging the fact that it's a complete farce of laughably poo poo design. If I was working on the app, it would have been better, and I'm terrible at stuff.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

My kitchen is also a complete farce of laughably bad design, but that doesn't stop me from using it every day. IBodger didn't have a card library and there was nowhere else to get one at anything like that price. Now that I can look at cards more or less uneventfully whenever I want, I don't have a problem recommending the app, warts and all, to people who very much want to look up stats on the go.

Edit: I definitely mention its shortcomings--to do otherwise would just be unfriendly--but for me and my iphone and Android tablet, it's worth the price of admission, imo.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 24, 2014

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
It's also nice that I never need to buy or pirate something before I try it in the game, since the cards are generally updated as soon as PP publishes stats (like in no quarter).

I wish it worked better, but, speaking as an android user, the statement that it constantly crashes seems to be a little extreme. I've only ever experienced crashes if switching focus off and onto it a few times. never while it was in use.

I don't use it for tracking games, because I like the cards and dry erase method, it's easier for you and your opponent to see at a glance, but, for card library, rules, and list creation? works just fine.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think it says something about the company that made it that they actually let the ssl certificate used for the update server expire.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

alchahest posted:

I wish it worked better, but, speaking as an android user, the statement that it constantly crashes seems to be a little extreme. I've only ever experienced crashes if switching focus off and onto it a few times. never while it was in use.

Wait, you think a programming crashing because you switched focus to answer a phone call or check a text message is even remotely OK?

I have a galaxy nexus, when I switch to any other program or build lists for over 20 minutes the program crashes. If it wasn't the only source of the specific digital content one is looking for, no one would accept its many flaws.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

GEMorris posted:

Wait, you think a programming crashing because you switched focus to answer a phone call or check a text message is even remotely OK?

I have a galaxy nexus, when I switch to any other program or build lists for over 20 minutes the program crashes. If it wasn't the only source of the specific digital content one is looking for, no one would accept its many flaws.

Man I have like six different programs, including Yelp, Audible, and Safari, that crash because I switch focus. It's a fallen world. Death is part of life, etc.

Also, re: If it wasn't the only source of the specific [] content one is looking for, no one would accept its many flaws."--you can say that about marriage, democracy, George R R Martin, the NCAA, flu shots... I understand what you're saying, but for a lot of us the pros outweigh the cons and it doesn't have to be more complicated than that. :)

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 24, 2014

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Some serious first world problems ITT. I think we've established you don't like it dude.

Someone suggest cool tartan colors for my Warders. I typically do blue stripes on red, or blue stripes on green. I tried a yellow scheme once but it did not turn out well.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Black and yellow, like so many angry bees.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Some serious first world problems ITT. I think we've established you don't like it dude.

Someone suggest cool tartan colors for my Warders. I typically do blue stripes on red, or blue stripes on green. I tried a yellow scheme once but it did not turn out well.

White and black stripes on orange!

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent

GEMorris posted:

well, I do, actually. I don't do a lot of switching while list building so it doesn't impact me a lot. And as I said, it's only happened a few times, maybe 10% of the time. it used to take forever to load anything, but a patch fixed that.

I guess I'm just not that angry about occasional inconveniences, compared to how convenient it is to be able to check whether it's Granted: or Tactics: that stays around when the UA dies, for example.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Can any Menoth players tell me about double Bastions? Is it anything but gimmicky? What about double Bastion Seneschal?

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
I hear French girls love the double bastion seneschal. But always ask permission first!.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Can any Menoth players tell me about double Bastions? Is it anything but gimmicky? What about double Bastion Seneschal?

Played against it once. I won...somehow, but holy poo poo is it ever a bitch to remove from the table.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Saalkin posted:

Played against it once. I won...somehow, but holy poo poo is it ever a bitch to remove from the table.

Those with experience against Bastions, do you find it is usually best to just ignore them unless you can get "free" damage in? Can you generally afford to ignore them?

My friend who plays Menoth is getting a unit of them, feels like they are the lowest reward-to-risk target in the game. At least Jacks and Beasts that have similar # of total boxes (there aren't many) can have their systems crippled!

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

Step 1: Drop double Bastion/double Seneschal with Harby.
Step 2: Use Martyrdom so none ever ever die, and use Crusader Call for threat extension
Step 3: Profit.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lord Of Texas posted:

Those with experience against Bastions, do you find it is usually best to just ignore them unless you can get "free" damage in? Can you generally afford to ignore them?

My friend who plays Menoth is getting a unit of them, feels like they are the lowest reward-to-risk target in the game. At least Jacks and Beasts that have similar # of total boxes (there aren't many) can have their systems crippled!

You can't leave them to there own devices either though. They hit like hell. And if they get into a zone they aren't going anywhere. You have to use heavy hitters to take them out, do enough damage so he loses a model over just spreading the damage. Little bits of damage will just get wasted.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Pssh, real men run Cinerators. They have higher ARM than basties.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

alchahest posted:

I hear French girls love the double bastion seneschal. But always ask permission first!.

I just start off with "Hey baby, ever heard of the Wrack? :heysexy:" Works every time.

susan posted:

Step 1: Drop double Bastion/double Seneschal with Harby.
Step 2: Use Martyrdom so none ever ever die, and use Crusader Call for threat extension
Step 3: Profit.

I'm actually interested in trying said package out with High Reclaimer or Testament when I start dabbling in Menoth, actually. I get how Harby works though. Either way I get to see my opponent slowly sinking below his table edge while wailing plaintively.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Sulecrist posted:

Man I have like six different programs, including Yelp, Audible, and Safari, that crash because I switch focus. It's a fallen world. Death is part of life, etc.

Sounds like something is wrong with your phone. By the way how much money did you pay for those apps?

I am constantly amazed that asking for a product to be reasonably well designed to acceptable standards of usability and reliability is seen as some extreme position. Doubly so when you are charging money for it.

The only bigger mystery is Why Privateer Press continues to pay THG money instead of finding a real mobile development house to properly produce a product that meets basic usability and performance standards.

But whatever if your customer base accepts substandard products and then white knight them.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
At least it's better than Privateer Press Digital, the reader app that on many devices doesn't remember the book/page you where on as soon as you multitask.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't mind Warroom but I don't have anything to compare it to. I shelled out for the complete card set and it's been a great resource for learning the game. I've only played one game but I used it and it worked fine. There's clearly a lot of stupidity in a number of the design decisions but I don't regret buying the card pack.

PPD is indefensible though, how does it still not loving have landscape mode? I mean jesus gently caress.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I like warroom for looking at cards, I don't use it for anything else because it's a horrid piece of junk as a game reference and for list-building.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

GEMorris posted:

Sounds like something is wrong with your phone. By the way how much money did you pay for those apps?

I am constantly amazed that asking for a product to be reasonably well designed to acceptable standards of usability and reliability is seen as some extreme position. Doubly so when you are charging money for it.

The only bigger mystery is Why Privateer Press continues to pay THG money instead of finding a real mobile development house to properly produce a product that meets basic usability and performance standards.

But whatever if your customer base accepts substandard products and then white knight them.

"What do we want?"

"A MOBILE WARGAMING APP THAT MEETS GEMORRIS'S USABILITY AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS!"

"When do we want it?"

"SOON!"

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I use it for list-building, playing games, and just quick reference, and I've never had it crash. I've noticed a few unintuitive navigation features and that sort of thing, but I like the program. Maybe I'm just lucky? The application has provided a lot of benefit to our gaming group, I'm really glad it's available.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I've had these issues on three phones. Like War Room, Audible itself is free, but i've spent something like $350 on content.

Anyway I'm not sure the last time War Room crashed on my phone. Not this week, so not in the last ~50 times i've used it. A recurring problem is a bunch of layers getting painted all over the same card at once, resulting in an incomprehensible mess. It's usually limited to just the one card, and the problem goes away if I restart the app, but I do think it's annoying. I don't like how long it takes to start up either considering I use it 5-10 times every day and even more when I'm playing games.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

New Tactics update out to backers. They've finished 99% of model production and will be starting packing soon, still on target for April. Also some pretty pictures associated with the game.

Doomie
Mar 24, 2010
I got into skorne because of Hakaar and the immortals and guardians. Stone mans are just way to cool.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I had a game tonight were Syntherion was brought down to 3 health and then auto healed plus Optifex Directive'd back to full health. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

omnibobb posted:

I had a game tonight were Syntherion was brought down to 3 health and then auto healed plus Optifex Directive'd back to full health. Awesome.

I just want to point out that Syntherion is the biggest bastard in all of Warmachine. I hate him.

• Locked thread