Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mondian posted:

So there's no easy method?

I'm talking of lvl 20-30 when it slows down and SCA rewards are barely noticeable.

I don't know of anything easier. The 26-30 tier gives about 1K exp per fight, so it felt pretty quick when I was finishing off the last level of one of my purples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Using alchemy and 4 blue crucibles can you get the Tier 3 result? Or do you pretty much need mostly/all purples?

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Virigoth posted:

Using alchemy and 4 blue crucibles can you get the Tier 3 result? Or do you pretty much need mostly/all purples?

From what I can tell, you need at least one purple. My understanding is-

No tools/common tools- 100% chance of tier 1, no chance anything higher.
Any tools that boost your crafting (say 1 blue, for +24%) mean that % chance to craft tier 2, the remaining % chance (76%) to craft tier 1.

To get to tier 3, you need to them go above 100% bonus- 1 purple (40%) + 3 blues (24%) = 112% bonus, which means 12% chance to craft tier 3.

Since the bonus blue gives you is only 24%, you cap out on them at 96%, which means you should be able to pump out tier 2 reliably, but have no chance of tier 3.

Whereas 4 purple tools (160%) would give you a 60% chance of tier 3 every run.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will point it out, but that's my understanding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FelixReynolds posted:

From what I can tell, you need at least one purple. My understanding is-

Yeah, that's how it works.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Mondian posted:

So there's no easy method?

I'm talking of lvl 20-30 when it slows down and SCA rewards are barely noticeable.

The dread ring and sharandar dailies all give like 4k XP on turn in, that's how I've been leveling mine now that I'm 60. That's like 30k XP a day, but my best companions only cap out at 20, so I'm not sure how good that'll be level 21-30. There's always Sword Coast Adventures on the gateway too. It's free loot, XP, and crafting related stuff too, which is handy.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Did they ever explain why they didn't include most of the iconic D&D classes, like paladin or ranger?

I'm deep into the Baldur's Gate series and a Forgotten Realms MMO would be cool, but without the proper classes it sounds so generic.

e: \/
OP is out of date, then. :shrug:

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 20, 2014

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
There is a ranger.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I hope they add paladins at SOME point. It'd be nice to have another option for a tank.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I want a real mace wielding cleric :(
None of this holy symbol poo poo.

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman.

Semisponge posted:

So the patch notes for the test server are pretty interesting:

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Guardian Fighters are also getting a bunch of buffs, including the ability to "permamark" a target (mark won't go away if if they've been hit). It only affects the last enemy marked--any other mark will disappear like normal.

Edit: they're also giving control resist an overhaul and looking at applying it to prone, which it didn't before I guess.

Any way that you could share a link for the upcoming patch notes?

Edit: My bad guys, just saw the underlined bit :ohdear:

AmiEsiM fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 21, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Click the underlined bit in the post you quoted

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is the config I use for getting the rank 3 result in Alchemy and unlocking the slot. Get ~50 each blue+green vitriol, and then set a slot to Alchemy.

code:
0:["Hire your first Apothecary"],
1:["Alchemical Research","Rank 1 Experimentation",],
2:["Alchemical Research","Rank 2 Experimentation","Gather Simple Components"],
3:["Batch of Minor Elixir of Accuracy", "Batch of Minor Elixirs of Reflexes",
   "Batch of Minor Force Potions", "Batch of Minor Fortification Potions",
   "Batch of Minor Healing Potions", "Batch of Minor Rejuvenation Potions",
   "Batch of Minor Tidespan Potions", "Gather Simple Components"],
Tip: the script sometimes :wtc: bugs and doesn't put all purples in the tool slots if you have more than one worker, so if you're using my purple alchemist, you want to get rid of the white one for a while. Just stick it in the mailbox or something.

Edit x 2: tables

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 21, 2014

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I tried PvP for the first time. Holy mother of God, I was bad. I didn't think I was doing bad. But the final score (and comments from everybody on my team) proved I was bad. I tried to follow the pack and not lone wolf. I tried to stay back when I could and use my encounters as much as I could. It just didn't work out.

Luckily in most of the matches the other team had bad players too so it evened out a bit, but one match the other team was competent and killed me basically within 2 or 3 shots of me appearing on the scene every time. This lead to frustration on my part and my team insisting I was either a bot or brain dead. So I decided to troll that match. I think the team did better without me.

I'm obviously doing a lot of things wrong... any suggestions on abilities or tactics for a HR?

Gear: 12000 GS that focuses on power, pen and crit and a bit of life steal.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You have a power thats called grasping roots or something that pulls people back, use that. Its currently bugged and works on people when they should be cc immune. Use that to be irritating. You can go up top and prevent people crossing there easily with it. I'm not sure if you can have 2 out at the same time to slow the approach to mid but you can help cover it from up top anyway

The other thing is until you have gear you are basically raw meat for people that do because they will regen through or ignore the damage you do. If the other team has both gear and builds for pvp you are probably screwed.

Also have a look at what the pegasus seal vendor guy has. He seems to have bad blues that are really interesting for pvp or really specific stat building like for rogues he has a ring that gives nearly 500 crit and wizards get a regen ring with like 300 on. If I stacked two of the regen rings I would be, in addition to my normal loadout, regening like 20% of my health every 3 seconds which might be so what in dungeons a lot of the time but in pvp thats interesting. I'm not sure what the clerics are using but there are gloves there with like 500 defence, that's a nice chunk of mitigation if you don't give a poo poo about set bonus and gs stuff and just want to live forever.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 21, 2014

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I've accumulated a few pieces of PvP gear from the Glory vendor for my rogue now, and I have to say I'm gaining a new found respect for Life Steal. At lower levels it was pretty insignificant, but when you're landing the kind of crits that dual wielding PvP daggers can deal, it's a life saver. You still end up getting dogpiled when you're against a badly mismatched team GS-wise, but my survivability has gone way up now that I'm pushing around 1k life steal.

As an HR the most useful/annoying thing you can do is the grasping roots thing mentioned already. It pisses off anyone depending on being in melee range to do any amount of damage, and increases your likelihood of survival as long as you use LoS tricks to avoid as much ranged damage as possible and just poke out to take pot shots at people stuck in your roots. HRs are like my nemesis as a TR when played well, but if I can close the gap it's fun watching them fold like a wet paper bag. Sadly, those cases don't happen often enough.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason not to burn my rank 1-3 enchantments and runestones ranking up my artifact?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I burn every enchantment and rune stone into my artifact.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Is there any reason not to burn my rank 1-3 enchantments and runestones ranking up my artifact?

They're the best for it honestly. Pearls/Peridots/etc don't get double their enchantment value when you use them on your artifact, but enchanments and runestones do. I tend to use pearls/peridots and matching enchantments to rank up runes attached to the items I'm wearing; I use the random training/silvery/etc that I don't have slotted on my gear in the artifact.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the abilities with grasping roots. It sounds like as an HR I'm going to be support in PvP? My favorite ability is Aimed Shot but that takes 4 seconds to wind up and gets interrupted by any damage. Should I just use rapid shot and split shot as my at-wills?

I tried to stay out of the fray and assist, and but then some rogue usually appeared behind me and killed me before I realized it. If I got closer so others could support me, I would get choked and killed. Perhaps I just need to find a butter zone.

RE Thanatosian: I haven't found a better use for runes than throwing them into my Artifact. I actually wish I held onto all my rank 1-3's in the bank that I wasted upgrading other enchantments into 4s early on.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Good; I bought a metric fuckton of low-rank runestones on the cheap before the changeover, then sold two stacks of rank 5s post-changeover for twice what I spent on everything put together (I've still got another stack of rank 5s).

Already got my artifact up to blue on just 1s and 2s; gonna do 3s next. Are the 4s worth ranking up to 5, or should I just buy those, and burn the 4s into other enchantments/artifacts, too?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Man, I'm liking the hunter ranger a hell of a lot more now that I unlocked melee, now whenever someone starts doing large AOE poo poo I can quickly switch to ranged, jumped away and start shooting.

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

So I have been saving up my glory and whatnot for level 60 pvp, what would you guys recommend me buying first? i was thinking maybe the expensive 5+k glory sword or maybe the Chest piece, Im a Guardian Fighter.

also for my fellow Guardian Fighter brethren, dont give up on the class till you at least hit 50 and get bulls strike

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Get the artifact.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Good; I bought a metric fuckton of low-rank runestones on the cheap before the changeover, then sold two stacks of rank 5s post-changeover for twice what I spent on everything put together (I've still got another stack of rank 5s).

Already got my artifact up to blue on just 1s and 2s; gonna do 3s next. Are the 4s worth ranking up to 5, or should I just buy those, and burn the 4s into other enchantments/artifacts, too?

You break even on RP by upgrading 4's to 5's, so it's pointless to do that for refining. I dunno if there's a big difference between 4 rank 4's and 1 rank 5 on the AH, but there shouldn't be, because the reagent you need to upgrade them is really cheap. There's even a big stack of marks in the guild bank if you want to do that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm getting to the bottom of the settings-don't-take problem, and it looks like it might be a Tampermonkey bug (there's a race condition that causes some settings to not get remembered on a prompt reload). Is anyone having that problem using Firefox?

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I'm getting to the bottom of the settings-don't-take problem, and it looks like it might be a Tampermonkey bug (there's a race condition that causes some settings to not get remembered on a prompt reload). Is anyone having that problem using Firefox?

The script works perfectly for me with Greasemonkey on Firefox (firefox 26.0-2~arch2) using Arch Linux.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

It was buggy for me on Chrome, but it works perfectly in Firefox.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
It's been working fine for me in Chrome. I had a little trouble getting the names to show up at first, but I ended up reloading the page and re-entering the character names, another reload and it took off running. Only one crash a couple days ago but other than that, it's been running constantly without a hitch.

Ooops: Spoke too soon. It crashed again sometime last night. But it's been running fine for almost a week, so v:shobon:v

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 22, 2014

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

Semisponge posted:

Get the artifact.

Its soo expensive.. is it really worth it?

that grind.. :shepicide:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

AmiEsiM posted:

Its soo expensive.. is it really worth it?

that grind.. :shepicide:

It is but you can do it slowly. Do gauntelgrym to do the t2 dungeon and make fat stacks of ad and while you are there do the pvp event, it nets you like 700 each time.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

All of my problems with the script vanished when I started using GreaseMonkey in FireFox.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
So they hosed up somehow and the lag is so bad in CTA that I got motion sickness from all the rubberbanding. So don't do it until they fix it. :barf:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm going to be away for a week or two (hospital, and the ward in question is a no-electronics zone now); don't finish the game without me.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Godspeed and good luck.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Best wishes mate- hope all goes well.

CTA event so far seems to be filled with people, haven't waited more than about 30 seconds so far for a queue, and the rewards seem rather nice about dropping- I've already got more Brutal Enchants than I know what to do with, and a dozen or so of them were nice enough to drop at level 4 or 5. Also only took 3 runs to end up with the Swashbuckler, and after looking through the store, it seems like the tokens you get for running it with any frequency will let you buy pretty much anything you'd like of the transmutation sets or the dyes.

This is my first event of this kind, but are they normally so generous? I like it. :D

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.
Get well soon Sub.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

FelixReynolds posted:

Best wishes mate- hope all goes well.

CTA event so far seems to be filled with people, haven't waited more than about 30 seconds so far for a queue, and the rewards seem rather nice about dropping- I've already got more Brutal Enchants than I know what to do with, and a dozen or so of them were nice enough to drop at level 4 or 5. Also only took 3 runs to end up with the Swashbuckler, and after looking through the store, it seems like the tokens you get for running it with any frequency will let you buy pretty much anything you'd like of the transmutation sets or the dyes.

This is my first event of this kind, but are they normally so generous? I like it. :D

Some of the rewards for the winter event were pretty grindy, like the Fawn. But the majority of the stuff they tend to offer at special events seems to be pretty generous; all you need to do is show up and stick around for a bit and you'll get what you're after.

Is the new companion BoP or BoE? I almost want to grind all weekend and just sit on as many companions as I can get my hands on for resale in 2-3 months.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Well, this is a pretty neat event. Had a lot of fun, for the one time I was able to play it before the queue broke, and upon restarting the game, now crashes to desktop at the splash screen

Running a force verify to see if that will fix things :shepicide:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Anyone else having trouble with the gateway? I can't make any leatherworking jobs for some reason, just keeps reloading and reloading which makes the script get stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Do goons still play this? Is it cool? I'm downloading it right now but it'll be a couple hours before I can check it out.

• Locked thread