Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

nutranurse posted:

This is the company that's recently killed two games (MMTG & EvW) because they didn't meet their quality control standards.

:crossarms:
Wait what? This is news to me, given I just worked on East vs. West last night.

It's full steam ahead according to everything I've heard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has any ingame media for HOI4 been released?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Bel Monte posted:

:crossarms:
Wait what? This is news to me, given I just worked on East vs. West last night.

It's full steam ahead according to everything I've heard...

He's talking about the model it's being released under, which is seen as being half-killed.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Paradox isn't killing EvW, they're putting that bag of kittens in a sack and throwing it into a river called 'the general public'.

editvvv: Yeah, it's fair to give the benefit of the doubt, but, man, it's just not looking good. :(

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 24, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

He's talking about the model it's being released under, which is seen as being half-killed.

Oh! Okay, never mind then. I can't talk much about, well, anything it feels like due to NDAs, but that part got me thinking I missed a memo or announcement.

I can only suggest to keep an eye on East vs. West since, well, that's pretty all I can say regarding recent events.

Edit: Don't think the devs don't know how bad things look right now. I can only say it's being worked on.

Edit 2 ^^^^ : Oh, I know...

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 24, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bel Monte posted:

Oh! Okay, never mind then. I can't talk much about, well, anything it feels like due to NDAs, but that part got me thinking I missed a memo or announcement.

I can only suggest to keep an eye on East vs. West since, well, that's pretty all I can say regarding recent events.

Edit: Don't think the devs don't know how bad things look right now. I can only say it's being worked on.

Edit 2 ^^^^ : Oh, I know...

Well from the public perspective it looks like Magna Mundi mk2. except probably slightly less bad and without a humiliating public blowout by the devs.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fintilgin posted:

The game will be a little... weird if every province you grab outside your home continent gets handed over to a colonial/trade company "nation".

It's a big change from the days of just painting everything your color. Probably a net positive in the end, but... hard to wrap my head around.

I believe it was Wiz who once argued that 'any historical game, in which world conquest is feasible, is fundamentally flawed'.

I guess this is one way of avoiding (?) that problem (???)

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Well from the public perspective it looks like Magna Mundi mk2. except probably slightly less bad and without a humiliating public blowout by the devs.

Yep, and I don't blame the public from looking at it that way. If I was on the outside, I'd be feeling the same thing. Being on the inside, I hear a lot more and wish I could share some of that to alleviate worry.

I don't want to be that guy and sit here and say "hey guys, it's a good game, trust me". I'd rather show than tell, so all I can say is keep an eye on updates and news. I'm not in charge of any of that stuff, but over time I think devs can restore confidence in the game.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Despite how good recent releases have been, and the fact that HoI2 introduced me to Paradox games, I think I'm gonna have to take a pass on HoI4 until it's been out a couple months and the new release hype has passed. HoI3 was and remains painfully bad, and it sounds like they're leaving army automation in, implying there still might be too many provinces to personally manage warfare without running the game at an incredibly slow speed. Excited about the CK2 and EU4 DLCs though.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If I can't restore the Maurya Empire and spread Buddhism to the Middle East, then I'm going to be very disappointed. Either that or conquer the world through Jainism, peacefully. :allears:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I'm loving the HoI4 threads.

quote:

I'd like more Provinces personally.

quote:

At least Africa and Asia need more provinces. They could do it like EvW

quote:

I for one hope they stick with Hoi3 amount of provinces, maybe adding even more in north africa.

quote:

Less provinces would probably make the game unbearable (...) If you feel overwhelmed by the number of provinces consider giving at least part of your army to the AI which will do at least a decent job if you know what you are doing.

quote:

Are you kidding? Europe had the perfect number of provinces. They need to expand provinces in other continents. Any less than HOI3 and I am not buying the game.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Patter Song posted:

I love how there's like no conception at all that there are people from India who might want to play as their ancestors and repel the Ghaznavids or whatever just like the stereotypical Paradox forumers play their ancestors in Saxe-Nowheresburg.

That's cool and all, but it kindof belongs in a different game. The base mechanics of the game are somewhat real world based around France and become increasingly unrepresentative and strained as you travel away. Just playing as the Byzantines you can feel the game systems creaking. India is pretty much a different world from the France-centered universe built into the game, it has different political, cultural, religious divisions and systems and it essentially didn't interact with the areas that the game actually does a good job of representing. I'ld like to believe that they're going to do the incredible amount of work to properly incorporate India, but I seriously doubt it. Muslims are far more integral to the cultural world represented and they are still mainly France with different cosmetics.

The game is honestly worst and least historic in representing that things are often regional and not global in the middle agess. Unless they are finally going to tackle this there will be a bunch of weird ahistoric interactions between India and Europe that manage to make playing Europe dumber. A narrow scope is a good thing for the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SickZip posted:

That's cool and all, but it kindof belongs in a different game. The base mechanics of the game are somewhat real world based around France and become increasingly unrepresentative and strained as you travel away. Just playing as the Byzantines you can feel the game systems creaking. India is pretty much a different world from the France-centered universe built into the game, it has different political, cultural, religious divisions and systems and it essentially didn't interact with the areas that the game actually does a good job of representing. I'ld like to believe that they're going to do the incredible amount of work to properly incorporate India, but I seriously doubt it. Muslims are far more integral to the cultural world represented and they are still mainly France with different cosmetics.

The game is honestly worst and least historic in representing that things are often regional and not global in the middle agess. Unless they are finally going to tackle this there will be a bunch of weird ahistoric interactions between India and Europe that manage to make playing Europe dumber. A narrow scope is a good thing for the game.

The game is about as historic as any modern Paradox game.

Which is besides the start date it isn't, and for many things its literally impossible to achieve.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

The game is about as historic as any modern Paradox game.

Which is besides the start date it isn't, and for many things its literally impossible to achieve.

The game is history based, both in intention and appeal. It is also not perfectly so both because that is impossible and because it would not be fun. There is a series of concessions and compromises between gameplay, history, and developer effort in the game. This is obvious and everyone knows this. So what exactly is your post meant to respond to unless your the one person that thinks your point is novel or interesting?

SickZip fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 24, 2014

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nckdictator posted:

Got to give the people what they want!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SickZip posted:

The game is history based, both in intention and appeal. It is also not perfectly so both because that is impossible and because it would not be fun. There is a series of concessions and compromises between gameplay, history, and developer effort in the game. This is obvious and everyone knows this. So what exactly is your post meant to respond to unless your the one person that thinks your point is novel or interesting?

My point is saying its not historical is hardly much of a complaint. Hell the game in question only accurately models one specific place well anyway. Drawing the line at India is kind of arbitrary.

Also you wouldn't think my point is novel or interesting but its seems to have passed you by.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
Oh hey a leaked image from Hearts of Iron 4's design doc.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Nozzle posted:

Oh hey a leaked image from Hearts of Iron 4's design doc.

The last one would be really cool if the war plan -> AI generals works right. Give the AI the space to work tactically while you paint the broad strokes on the map.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Got EU Rome working. Not sure what I think so far but the trade system sure is tedious...

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

My point is saying its not historical is hardly much of a complaint. Hell the game in question only accurately models one specific place well anyway. Drawing the line at India is kind of arbitrary.

Also you wouldn't think my point is novel or interesting but its seems to have passed you by.

Note that the guy I was responding to was specifically saying that this expansion would appeal to people interested in Indian history. History is not only a perfectly valid response to this, it is usually a perfectly valid complaint in general for mapgames. People play these games because they like history, paradox makes these games because they like history, history leads to more interesting mechanics than what developers usually come up with on their own. History, even if it cannot be perfectly modeled and should not be since they are making a game afterall, is very much at the core of mapgames.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SickZip posted:

Note that the guy I was responding to was specifically saying that this expansion would appeal to people interested in Indian history. History is not only a perfectly valid response to this, it is usually a perfectly valid complaint in general for mapgames. People play these games because they like history, paradox makes these games because they like history, history leads to more interesting mechanics than what developers usually come up with on their own. History, even if it cannot be perfectly modeled and should not be since they are making a game afterall, is very much at the core of mapgames.

Yeah I am not sure what he is talking about.

Maybe geographical and some important leaders but that is about all the game is going to teach you.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I wonder how they'll handle the Rajput areas? It was historically a shitload of little warrior kingdoms in Northern India that managed to keep their independence despite most of the conquerers (bar the Mughals) that came down to take India. I'd say they're feudal, but maybe they'd need more emphasis on using the Martial trait?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

holy poo poo guys there was an EvW dev in here the whole time :ninja:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I'm really happy that both of the new games (Runemaster and HoI4) seem to come with Linux support. I've pretty much been able to ditch Windows entirely for gaming, and Paradox isn't a small factor in that possibility. I wonder if EvW ends up supporting anything but Windows. Hell, I wonder if it ends up supporting anything at all...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Athas posted:

I'm really happy that both of the new games (Runemaster and HoI4) seem to come with Linux support.

Hell yeah, this is a big deal for me too. For a long time I would boot into Windows just for games. Then I installed Steam on linux on a whim one day and discovered the games I play most (EU4 and Wargame:ALB basically) were supported. Good times.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is gonna sound kind of creepy, but are there any mods for Darkest Hour that offer scenarios after the fall of France but before Barbarossa? Paradox milspergs like to load down Germany with all sorts of unique units and events and other bonuses, but there's no support for starting play just before Germany's biggest strategic mistakes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nckdictator posted:

Why would anyone want more provinces? I could maybe see an argument for reducing the number of provinces in Europe and expanding in East Asia or the Middle East/Africa but adding even more to Europe is nuts. As it stands right now, it's basically impossible to do anything other than AI command for your armies in HOI3 because of how tedious the process gets. And that's assuming you set you your order of battle correctly. I hated that I had to about half an hour of army organizing to make sure I got all the bonuses you get from having a proper command structure. That is neither fun nor interesting.

What the hell is wrong with the people on the Paradox forums? :psyduck:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Kavak posted:

This is gonna sound kind of creepy, but are there any mods for Darkest Hour that offer scenarios after the fall of France but before Barbarossa? Paradox milspergs like to load down Germany with all sorts of unique units and events and other bonuses, but there's no support for starting play just before Germany's biggest strategic mistakes.

Why would that sound creepy?

(I have no idea as to the actual question)

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

ThomasPaine posted:

Why would that sound creepy?

(I have no idea as to the actual question)

Because if the scenario actually exists, it was probably made by some German obsessive sitting at his computer mumbling "and now I will have the chance to purge Europe of Bolshevism..." and then his right arm twitches before he has to grab it and force it back into place.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

axeil posted:

Why would anyone want more provinces? I could maybe see an argument for reducing the number of provinces in Europe and expanding in East Asia or the Middle East/Africa but adding even more to Europe is nuts. As it stands right now, it's basically impossible to do anything other than AI command for your armies in HOI3 because of how tedious the process gets. And that's assuming you set you your order of battle correctly. I hated that I had to about half an hour of army organizing to make sure I got all the bonuses you get from having a proper command structure. That is neither fun nor interesting.

Maybe I should introduce you to a true grand strategy ww2-sperg game called Gary Grigsby's War in the East to show you an example of a ~proper~ amount of provinceshexes :smug:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pimpmust posted:

Maybe I should introduce you to a true grand strategy ww2-sperg game called Gary Grigsby's War in the East to show you an example of a ~proper~ amount of provinceshexes :smug:

Gary Grigsby's Civilization 5

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

DerLeo posted:

Because if the scenario actually exists, it was probably made by some German obsessive sitting at his computer mumbling "and now I will have the chance to purge Europe of Bolshevism..." and then his right arm twitches before he has to grab it and force it back into place.

Christ, I forget how batshit a lot of Paradox fans are. Don't tell me there are actually mods that model the holocaust etc? Or do, because that would be in such bad taste as to almost be hilarious.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Pimpmust posted:

There's a reason WitE is turn-based and not real time. Though now you have me worrying that HoI4 is going to take the worst aspects from HoI3 and WitE (How many squads of each type would you like in your companies! Is your replacement slider properly split between Panzer IIIJs and Panzer IVFs?)

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ, I forget how batshit a lot of Paradox fans are. Don't tell me there are actually mods that model the holocaust etc? Or do, because that would be in such bad taste as to almost be hilarious.

One very, very smart thing Paradox does is ban all mods(and maybe all discussion, not sure on this part) that include the holocaust and genocide, so if there are any they've not reached any sort of wide audience.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

ThomasPaine posted:

As far as I know, nobody actually has a mod out that adds war crimes - probably because Paradox is very firm about not allowing anything of the sort in their game, I think they even exclude it from AARs on their forum. And the Paradox modding community is pretty much all on the official forum.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
There would theoretically be nothing wrong with adding more provinces in HoI4 if what they are saying about the AI following your war plans ends up working as it should.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ArchRanger posted:

One very, very smart thing Paradox does is ban all mods(and maybe all discussion, not sure on this part) that include the holocaust and genocide, so if there are any they've not reached any sort of wide audience.

That's probably very wise. But then again you can expel the jews in CK2 (which kind of implies more than a polite 'you need to leave now'), and this is in a game that involves murdering your own kids to ensure a smooth succession. I guess as ever time somewhat sanitises things, which makes me seriously wonder what kind of poo poo will be in these kind of games in a century or so.

e: I feel like maybe there should be flavour events for these things, because in a sense not acknowledging them is disrespectful in its own way. I'm certainly not sure about having the ability to actually play an active part, but then the other half of me thinks 'they're going for realism, it's part of the period, it should be there'. It's actually pretty difficult ethically speaking.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 24, 2014

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

DerLeo posted:

As far as I know, nobody actually has a mod out that adds war crimes - probably because Paradox is very firm about not allowing anything of the sort in their game, I think they even exclude it from AARs on their forum. And the Paradox modding community is pretty much all on the official forum.

Oddly enough the rape of Nanjing is in HoI II.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

What is this game and how scary/how bad is it? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DerLeo posted:

Yeah, "How do I make it easier to win as the Nazis" should always set off a few red flags.

axeil posted:

I do not know. The Map of Abominations E3 Map Project is trying to do this for Darkest Hour- of the three modules I know of using it, only one (Turning Point) would actually benefit from it. The other two (Fallout and To End All Wars) seem like overkill, and none of the developers have posted in the latter's thread since November.

• Locked thread