Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Actually I bought the portrait packs I was missing because the VIET portrait hotfix was even more jacked up :v:

I think I'm just bad at putting things in a mod folder or something, because of all the mods I've tried so far I've only been able to get PB working without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Arcturas posted:

To put on my :sperg: and white knight hats, Muslims were actually at least as good, if not better, to women than most Christian nations were for a good long while. Obviously things like polygamy aren't good, but the early Muslim rules on divorce, widow's shares, and things like that are arguably better for women than the situation in the west.

(Both still were way worse for women than modern liberal societies, and I promise I'll stop derailing now)

Most of the societies in the era are a bit more complex than our modern perspective tends to appreciate. The Norse, for instance, had some very progressive attitudes towards divorce and the like. As far as I know the Celts, though a bit before this timeframe, were even more progressive and I don't think women were excluded, at least formally/legally, from many professions at all. Also examine their myths, where women tended to be treated as capable and resourceful. Also also examine Boudicca, who was absolutely Not To Be hosed With.

Of course I don't know jack poo poo about the situation of women in the Indian subcontinent during this era so this is just contributing to a derail, but I'd say I basically want more possibilities in how societies can be constituted more than pure historical accuracy necessarily.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Arcturas posted:

To put on my :sperg: and white knight hats, Muslims were actually at least as good, if not better, to women than most Christian nations were for a good long while. Obviously things like polygamy aren't good, but the early Muslim rules on divorce, widow's shares, and things like that are arguably better for women than the situation in the west.

(Both still were way worse for women than modern liberal societies, and I promise I'll stop derailing now)

I didn't mean to sound like I was hating on the Muslim nations, since their focus on learning before the Crusades/Mongol invasions always impressed me. I just mean more in how they'd represent it in gameplay terms. Since I love forming Matriarchal empires and I cannot change from Agnatic Open...so I can never get my warriors of the desert to conquer the world in my name. (I'm not good enough to pull out a Zoroastrian start, especially not as a female ruler.)

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Adding India is cool as hell, I hope that they flesh it out a lot so it will be fun to play in India.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can somebody explain how to not lose core duchies in Gavelkind again? Because I've got a third son who I'm just throwing titles at and he won't get off my Titles Lost list. I'm going to try to give him Denmark next just to keep Kent but he got himself thrown in jail trying to seize the Scottish crown from my second son.

Ugh even that didn't work, now my 3rd son is off the list but I'm losing Kent to the 2nd son, who I already gave Kingdom of Scotland, Duchy of Lothian, Duchy of Galloway and all titles under those Duchies. gently caress this so hard. One more lifetime to Primogeniture.

This is ridiculous, I just granted the 2nd son Ulster and all of its counties and he still gets Kent. He's a King/Superduke already and I still can't pass on two duchies to my 1st son.

Seriously, I conquered Scotland and Denmark for these shits, gave them both 2 duchies and loving crowns and I still can't keep Kent and Essex for my firstborn. I'm quitting and I don't know when I'll come back to this game.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 24, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

When I'm invading someone, which of his counties should I siege? The county I'm trying to claim? His capital? I heard some counties/holdings boost your warscore more than others.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Eimi posted:

I didn't mean to sound like I was hating on the Muslim nations, since their focus on learning before the Crusades/Mongol invasions always impressed me. I just mean more in how they'd represent it in gameplay terms. Since I love forming Matriarchal empires and I cannot change from Agnatic Open...so I can never get my warriors of the desert to conquer the world in my name. (I'm not good enough to pull out a Zoroastrian start, especially not as a female ruler.)

Yeah, absolutely. I wonder how hard it is to mod in Ag-Cog into Muslim nations? (and could you change it to enable male concubines as well?)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Can somebody explain how to not lose core duchies in Gavelkind again? Because I've got a third son who I'm just throwing titles at and he won't get off my Titles Lost list. I'm going to try to give him Denmark next just to keep Kent but he got himself thrown in jail trying to seize the Scottish crown from my second son.

Ugh even that didn't work, now my 3rd son is off the list but I'm losing Kent to the 2nd son, who I already gave Kingdom of Scotland, Duchy of Lothian, Duchy of Galloway and all titles under those Duchies. gently caress this so hard. One more lifetime to Primogeniture.

Kill all your other heirs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

When I'm invading someone, which of his counties should I siege? The county I'm trying to claim? His capital? I heard some counties/holdings boost your warscore more than others.

If you're invading over a particular piece of territory, sieging that territory will increase your warscore more, since it's the war target.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeoh posted:

Kill all your other heirs.

I'm old and they have children.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Parallax Scroll posted:

1) The capital gives bonus warscore
2) Whoever controls the territory being contested gets warscore over time
3) IIRC there have been tweaks over time to warscore making battles more important, and completely destroying the enemy army gives bonus warscore

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Seriously why does gavelkind dole out titles in such a weird way? Would it be that unbalanced to have a system like
code:
3 heirs

1 kingdom
2 duchies
5 counties
1 barony

son 1 - kingdom, primary duchy, two counties, one barony
son 2 - second duchy, two counties
son 3 - one county
I've got a situation currently where my ruler has the kingdom and capital duchy, but one county. The second heir has two counties, and the third heir has a barony and duchy but no counties.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 24, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Parallax Scroll posted:

Generally, assess what it is you're up against. Assuming you pummel his army, or at least manage to fight a weaker section of it first, then its often a good idea to try and target whichever counties now don't have a levy in addition to the castle garrison anymore. Easier target, will take less time. On the other hand, if they're waiting for their main levy to restore before raising it against you, if you can manage to successfully split your army to sufficient sizes, have one cross the map to siege said holding. It won't exactly be fast, but unless your enemy raises all levies at once, they won't be able to then raise the levy in that county at all.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm old and they have children.

Keep killing.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

How good/bad are the Arab camel warrior retinues? I've seen a lot of people in this thread saying that cultural retinues are usually the best, but also that light cavalry is kind of crummy. The +60% defensive bonus that camels get sounds pretty unappealing, though right now my retinue consists of two camel warrior units and they seem to be doing pretty well against Viking raiders and any enemy armies of equal size. I'm assuming it'd be a bad idea to have nothing but camels in my retinue, but is there a good ratio of camels:other troops?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
My grandson/heir is kind of a dumbass (pretty low stats overall and no great attributes); so far he has the most electoral votes, but I'm afraid that when he gets into power, his low diplomacy score will result in a lot of pissed off nobles when I reject their requests to have all the duchies. I'd play stabby time except his brother isn't all that good either. I could kill both kids and put my second son in line who has better stats, but I'm not sure what would happen due to the electoral monarchy mechanic since I've never played one before.

Also are antipopes fun?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jeoh posted:

Keep killing.

This guy knows what's what in CK2.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seoinin posted:

Seriously why does gavelkind dole out titles in such a weird way? Would it be that unbalanced to have a system like
code:
3 heirs

1 kingdom
2 duchies
5 counties
1 barony

son 1 - kingdom, primary duchy, two counties, one barony
son 2 - second duchy, two counties
son 3 - one county
I've got a situation currently where my ruler has the kingdom and capital duchy, but one county. The second heir has two counties, and the third heir has a barony and duchy but no counties.

I'm not really all that experienced with Gavelkind, but I suspect that rather than doling it out the way you'd like (which clearly makes the first son the strongest, followed by the second son, then the third), CKII tries to split things up to make it more or less equal, with ranks weighted differently so that the son that gets the kingdom title gets less actual land (i.e., counties) than the ones that get duchies, who in turn get less direct land than the ones who just get counties. Of course, having different numbers of sons and titles makes it weird, though. I'm surprised it didn't just leave your heir with the kingdom and the county and give each of the other sons a duchy and a county. I guess maybe the barony threw things off? Gavelkind is weird.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, absolutely. I wonder how hard it is to mod in Ag-Cog into Muslim nations? (and could you change it to enable male concubines as well?)

As far as I know both are hardcoded, so as a female you only get lovers instead of concubines. And there's no way to mess with Muslim succession. I've tried. Using the console to change to Enatic didn't even work.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
This post on the Paradox forums is from July last year, but it has a breakdown on the mechanics that seem to determine who gets what in gavelkind.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I can understand the system trying to equalize power, but the hitch is that duchy and kingdom titles are frequently less powerful than having a couple more counties. Especially at the start of a reign when everyone's pissy because of short reign maluses & low prestige, and then especially especially if you're pagan and short reign maluses start at -45. The king of Novgorod might actually be the weakest heir currently, because at least the schmuck that only got the barony & duchy doesn't have to worry about half the baltic declaring independence.

edit:

quote:

Duchy titles also come with all the lesser titles owned within their borders. The best duchies typically contain the best counties and all their holdings, especially in the early game, and we've been seeing those prime properties (usually including the Capital) commonly passed on to pretender-level heirs instead of the primary heir.
So what I'm getting here is that you should never make a kingdom or duchy under gavelkind, just suborn everything to one huge megaduchy until you can reform the faith and get into an inheritance law that isn't bonkers.

edit2: or make a kingdom asap and make every pretender a duke so the algorithm doesn't scatter your stuff to the four winds. or move your capital so the first son actually gets more than one county. or just stab everyone and pretend you're running primogeniture I guess. :psyduck:

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 24, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Spakstik posted:

How good/bad are the Arab camel warrior retinues? I've seen a lot of people in this thread saying that cultural retinues are usually the best, but also that light cavalry is kind of crummy. The +60% defensive bonus that camels get sounds pretty unappealing, though right now my retinue consists of two camel warrior units and they seem to be doing pretty well against Viking raiders and any enemy armies of equal size. I'm assuming it'd be a bad idea to have nothing but camels in my retinue, but is there a good ratio of camels:other troops?

Defensive light cavalry are rather bad. You want light cavalry to hunt down enemy troops when they are routing, and that is where they have their best combat ratings. The defense is totally useless, and if you count on your light cavalry being even more resilient when they are fleeing is not a good tactic.

That said, having a certain number of light cavalry to hunt down fleeing enemies is generally a good idea. I would go with 2 camel retinues per 10.000 men you can field.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Torrannor posted:

Defensive light cavalry are rather bad. You want light cavalry to hunt down enemy troops when they are routing, and that is where they have their best combat ratings. The defense is totally useless, and if you count on your light cavalry being even more resilient when they are fleeing is not a good tactic.

That said, having a certain number of light cavalry to hunt down fleeing enemies is generally a good idea. I would go with 2 camel retinues per 10.000 men you can field.

Great, thanks a lot!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeoh posted:

Keep killing.

No Valid Plots! :qq: :argh: 450 gold for each prince-murder attempt.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Seoinin posted:

I can understand the system trying to equalize power, but the hitch is that duchy and kingdom titles are frequently less powerful than having a couple more counties. Especially at the start of a reign when everyone's pissy because of short reign maluses & low prestige, and then especially especially if you're pagan and short reign maluses start at -45. The king of Novgorod might actually be the weakest heir currently, because at least the schmuck that only got the barony & duchy doesn't have to worry about half the baltic declaring independence.

This game could use a lot more custom decisions, like arranging inheritances in a will (kind of like how gavelkind actually used to work in history). If you're in gavelkind, you should be able to say which heir gets what, with the limitation that it needs to be somewhat balanced in the end or your will gets overwritten by a council of vassals to avoid civil war, or something.

Or if you want to exchange one title for another, you have to piss the guy off by revoking, and if I'm not mistaken you often end up with a -20 net opinion change after you've given him his new title. Or making a deal with someone to go to war against a common enemy with an a priori agreement about how the captured territories would be divided. Or expanding the scope of a war outside of the contested territories: for example, forcing an aggressor to concede some border territories after you've crushed their invasion and launched a counter-offensive. Diplomatic trading is so very important, but completely overlooked in this game.

And why can't you change your religion at will? If half my court is already Tengri or whatever, I shouldn't be forced to wait for a random event to convert myself.

I'm not hating the new expansion news, but I'd have rather liked them to deepen some aspects of the game first, before they make it wider again.

Edit: oh yeah, and those plots. I really don't get how to manipulate the game into presenting plots that you actually want. I've yet to use a revoke plot because it's never a target I like. Good thing assassination plots don't have that limitation.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 24, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jolan posted:

Edit: oh yeah, and those plots. I really don't get how to manipulate the game into presenting plots that you actually want. I've yet to use a revoke plot because it's never a target I like. Good thing assassination plots don't have that limitation.

They do have limitations, assassination plots will sometimes be greyed out.

Speaking of which, the Duchy of Kent is now a vassal of Scotland. gently caress everything.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I think gavelkind is fun from a gameplay perspective but its just so horribly chaotic in its current incarnation I find it extremely unfun. There needs to be a menu where you proportion out your lands for your children (with each title weighted appropriately) so my demense doesn't get diced up. I've ended up with my heir inheriting the capital county and the kingdom title while his brother gets two duchies and all the other counties in my capital duchy.

Maybe some kind of Imperial/Royal demense feature which allows you to link the kingdom/imperial title with certain duchies or counties so they're always inherited together (with appropriate opinion/prestige maluses to prevent abuse.)

Edit: Beaten.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jolan posted:

I'm not hating the new expansion news, but I'd have rather liked them to deepen some aspects of the game first, before they make it wider again.

Well there were a bunch of Muslims in the India of CK2's time period, so there could be Islam fixes/changes included with this DLC or the associated patch. I hope anyway.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

They do have limitations, assassination plots will sometimes be greyed out.

Can't say that I've ever seen that, do you know under what conditions?

marktheando posted:

Well there were a bunch of Muslims in the India of CK2's time period, so there could be Islam fixes/changes included with this DLC or the associated patch. I hope anyway.

I've been inching my starting location eastward across the map, so I haven't gotten around to a Muslim ruler yet. I hear there're issues with decadence, and I hope they'll be addressed somewhat.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jolan posted:

I've been inching my starting location eastward across the map, so I haven't gotten around to a Muslim ruler yet. I hear there're issues with decadence, and I hope they'll be addressed somewhat.
Decadence is kinda better since they introduced a decision that either gives you a tech boost or 0 decadence on the character. It still resembles gavelkind in that, yeah you could play it straight and deal with all the bullshit that results... oorrrr you could kill everyone that inconveniences you and it might as well not be in the game at all.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Arglebargle III posted:

No Valid Plots! :qq: :argh: 450 gold for each prince-murder attempt.

You can't plot to kill your own children (but grandkids and/or assassins are apparently fair game).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I know I should probably just use SAM, but I'm wondering : if you exit out of an Ironman game and copy the save folder, can you restore it at a later date and continue (basically a Mulligan)? Will Steam no longer give you achievements?

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

marktheando posted:

Hasn't this been the general consensus every patch/expansion, maybe Pdox will fix Islam THIS time. Hasn't happened yet, and I have a feeling it won't happen for a while (I hope to god I'm worng)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ageofbob posted:

Hasn't this been the general consensus every patch/expansion, maybe Pdox will fix Islam THIS time. Hasn't happened yet, and I have a feeling it won't happen for a while (I hope to god I'm worng)

Yeah pretty much, especially with Sons of Abraham. Still, I'd be disappointed if playing as an Indian Muslim is just the same as playing as one in the middle east.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ageofbob posted:

But in the Sons of Abraham manual they explicitly stated that they started to overhaul the decadence mechanic, but were not able to finish it in time for SoA! So they tossed Mutazili in there.

I am cautiously optimistic that we will get an overhaul of the decadence mechanic this DLC.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jolan posted:

The way the revoke plots work is actually pretty simple but nowhere in game does it explain it to you.

You can use a revoke plot against a vassal if any of the following are true:

-The vassal is a count with more than one county (you can plot to revoke a secondary county)
-The vassal is a duke with counties outside their duchy (you can plot to revoke those counties)
-The vassal is a duke with no de jure counties inside his own duchy (you can revoke his duchy).
-You can plot to revoke any county in your own capital duchy.

Apparently you can't do ANY of those if your ruler has the content trait, though. Basically, you can plot to revoke titles that violate a vassal's de jure jurisdiction. If they happen to have multiple duchies and counties inside each of them though, or if they're a king/queen, you can't do anything about it though, so it's best to try to nip it in the bud if you're worried about them.

The thing that bugs me about revoking is that you can only revoke ONE title from a traitor before it counts as tyranny. Sometimes with the way they've worked out their titles it just doesn't make sense to only revoke one of them. Also sometimes I'd just like to strip them of ALL their titles and redistribute them, but even if you immediately give them away it still counts as tyrannical so I can't really do that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seoinin posted:

Well, yeah, but I'm betting the system does that on purpose, because I'm pretty sure Gavelkind is intended to make successions lovely. That's why Paradox is never going to let us make living wills and pick and choose who gets the strongest demense - because Gavelkind is supposed to weaken your heir and saddle them with powerful megadukes and be generally difficult to manage. That's why it likes to parcel out all the actual land and leave your heir with the top-level title and one county, making your heir almost completely dependent on vassals while giving at the same time giving the closest pretenders to the throne entire duchies of their very own. It's not coincidence that Gavelkind sucks to deal with, it's intended behavior.

On an unrelated note, is there any way to ensure that my army is the leader in a battle? Rather than letting my chosen generals with 20+ Martial take control of the battlefield, the battles are being run by an allied army with less than a third of my forces and really lovely commanders which attached itself to my army a while ago, and it's turning an already unfavorable matchup into a slaughter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My first son is heir to the Kingdom of England. My second son is heir to the Empire of Britannia. Gavelkind.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Excelzior posted:

I know I should probably just use SAM, but I'm wondering : if you exit out of an Ironman game and copy the save folder, can you restore it at a later date and continue (basically a Mulligan)? Will Steam no longer give you achievements?

Ironman games aren't saved locally, it's all on ~the cloud~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
How to deal with Gavelkind:

a) Stop using Gavelkind
b) Press the claims that you get on all your siblings' stuff, which you then win because you have retinues/vassals and they don't.
c) Use the claims you get on all your siblings' stuff for tyranny-free revocations

• Locked thread