Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
Isn't it Nero Caesar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
On Day 7 or so of Chapter 2 of Higurashi. The story is finally picking up again.

• I was right about Shion being real, but wrong about Mion ever pretending to be her. I think so, anyway; the translator may have mixed up their names in a couple places, so it's a bit confusing.
  • Despite the character description for Keiichi on the Mangagamer site claiming that "this isn't a love story," it really feels like this is supposed to be the Shion route. I guess that makes the first chapter the Rena route?
  • The explanation of "elitism" (Surely the word the translator is looking for is something else? "Ethnocentrism," maybe?) made me laugh dryly when Keiichi mentions that "even Japan" used to be buy into that sort of thing.
  • Wild speculation time: Keiichi will help murder someone (possibly Takano or Shion) under the influence of Oyashiro/drugs. He's starting to buy into Hinamizawa's "elitism" himself, with all his talk about "community," and that can't be a good thing.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp

Silver2195 posted:

On Day 7 or so of Chapter 2 of Higurashi. The story is finally picking up again.

• I was right about Shion being real, but wrong about Mion ever pretending to be her. I think so, anyway; the translator may have mixed up their names in a couple places, so it's a bit confusing.
  • Despite the character description for Keiichi on the Mangagamer site claiming that "this isn't a love story," it really feels like this is supposed to be the Shion route. I guess that makes the first chapter the Rena route?
  • The explanation of "elitism" (Surely the word the translator is looking for is something else? "Ethnocentrism," maybe?) made me laugh dryly when Keiichi mentions that "even Japan" used to be buy into that sort of thing.
  • Wild speculation time: Keiichi will help murder someone (possibly Takano or Shion) under the influence of Oyashiro/drugs. He's starting to buy into Hinamizawa's "elitism" himself, with all his talk about "community," and that can't be a good thing.

Mangagamer translations aren't very good, but I don't think they made the mistake of mixing up names at all.
But all in all it's just going to keep getting better.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I've also been playing Higurashi. Near the end now in part 8. This isn't news or anything but hey, it's real good.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 23, 2014

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

klapman posted:

Going to be streaming Little Busters again tonight from 6 PM CST to 8 PM, and I also managed to get Hitbox working way better than my old Livestream way of doing things, and it's nicer in literally every way. Pretty sure you don't need an account to see it, the delay is less pronounced, and so far as I can tell the sound and video quality is improved. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and it's just so much goddamn better than Livestream, seriously.

Stream will be live here in 7 and a half hours: http://www.hitbox.tv/Klapman

e:

Don't worry about it, I was still coming down from the flu so the stream was mostly just me laughing at funny things. And from now on it shouldn't be a problem since Hitbox does it a bit better, I think?

Cool. So, will there be stream archives on hitbox at some point? I can't watch these live due to time zones.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Sorry about last night, something went wrong with my internet, but since things seemed like they wouldn't pick up for a while I kept going and something interesting happened.

:whatup:

Suleman posted:

Cool. So, will there be stream archives on hitbox at some point? I can't watch these live due to time zones.

Yep! It looks like I can pick and choose which ones to publish, though they only last for 2 weeks. The one from last night doesn't even reach half an hour though, due to the internet troubles. Unfortunately since there's really not much to comment on I think I might shelve the stream until things pick up in the plot. I've seen some things so far that look like they could be leading up to something bigger, but at this point most of my reactions are just "haha, that is a funny thing that just happened" rather than any real commentary. It's one of those things where i'm enjoying myself and it's fun, but as there's been no "holy poo poo" moments, streaming it is more like streaming ML Extra than Unlimited or Alternative.

Can anyone tell me when a good time to start streaming is, in broad strokes? Last time someone told me to start at the end of Meiya's route in Extra, and that bypassed all of the pretty dull stuff without giving away the cool business.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Erm. Umineko is a bit weird. Suddenly lightsaber fight between Kanon and Bull Servant of Beatrice I am not sure what to make of this. Since Battler, our reference point for sanity and fighting against all of this weird magic stuff, is not present in the scene, I suppose it aint hard to simply call bullshit on this whole charade.

One thing I can say without black bars: This music is fantastic. Simply magnificent.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

klapman posted:

Sorry about last night, something went wrong with my internet, but since things seemed like they wouldn't pick up for a while I kept going and something interesting happened.

Yep! It looks like I can pick and choose which ones to publish, though they only last for 2 weeks. The one from last night doesn't even reach half an hour though, due to the internet troubles. Unfortunately since there's really not much to comment on I think I might shelve the stream until things pick up in the plot. I've seen some things so far that look like they could be leading up to something bigger, but at this point most of my reactions are just "haha, that is a funny thing that just happened" rather than any real commentary. It's one of those things where i'm enjoying myself and it's fun, but as there's been no "holy poo poo" moments, streaming it is more like streaming ML Extra than Unlimited or Alternative.

Can anyone tell me when a good time to start streaming is, in broad strokes? Last time someone told me to start at the end of Meiya's route in Extra, and that bypassed all of the pretty dull stuff without giving away the cool business.

Probably after you finish the common route. Maybe specific character routes? Rin, Kud, maybe Mio, Kurugaya for sure.

e: unrelated, I would love to see a stream of Higurashi from someone who has a personality and hasn't played it before

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 24, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I am not sure what to make of this.
It's going to get worse before it gets better. In a good way!

quote:

One thing I can say without black bars: This music is fantastic. Simply magnificent.
It's good that you're saying this in EP2, because I think each chapter gets collectively better. Up until maybe EP8 where there are only like 10 new tracks rather than 20+.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
On Chapter 2, Day 10 in Higurashi. A lot happening, although my suspension of disbelief is getting somewhat strained.

• Keiichi claims to have a “poor imagination,” but he actually seems to have an overactive one.
  • The idea of human sacrifice being practiced by a village anywhere in Japan in relatively recent times is really unlikely.
  • It was nice to see Shion and Keiichi actually discussing things with each other instead of being irrationality secretive.
  • Who's Satoko and Rika's legal guardian, anyway? One of the odder Japanese pop culture cliches is the apparently emancipated minors all over the place.
  • I'm increasingly starting to suspect that Mion's crazy mode is neither supernatural nor :catdrugs:, but an actual aspect of her personality. Perhaps part of the reason her family are rumored to have demonic blood is due to a genetic predisposition to mental instability? It's a bit weird that Mion's identical twin would be seemingly perfectly sane, though.
  • There's maybe a little too much evidence implicating the Sonozaki family at this point. Then again, we also finally have something resembling a motive for Oyashiro, which the "All-Cast Review Session" pointed out was a necessary component of a supernatural explanation. I'm anticipating a big twist of some sort to the mystery coming soon.

Edit: The really odd thing here is Rena acting so normal. There's no hint of the violent side she showed in the first chapter, and I'm not sure what that means.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 24, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I finished the second chapter of Higurashi. It was pretty :smith: but also :iiam:, and probably other emoticons as well.

• I think that's the first time I've seen an anime/manga/LN/VN directly discuss WWII Japanese war crimes (Full Metal Alchemist discusses them indirectly, of course). Incidentally, while organized cannibalism was an actual thing the Japanese army did, I'm pretty sure the industrial canning of human meat to be shipped to unknowing soldiers is Ryukishi's invention.
  • Mion explicitly saying the Oyashiro isn't real but the demons are removes a lot of the more complicated supernatural possibilities.
  • I was hoping Shion would survive and recover her sanity...:smith: Somehow it seemed less
  • It seemed like we were getting clear answers to everything for once...and then the puzzle of the demon doppelgangers gets introduced. My first thought (before the stuff that happened to Keiichi at the end) was that the dead "Mion" in the well is actually Shion, and the dead "Shion" who seemingly went insane is actually Mion, but that doesn't explain the two Takanos. Maybe there's another convenient "unknown drug" that falsifies time of death? At that point the "mundane" explanation would be basically indistinguishable from a supernatural one, though. Still, Rika's syringe seems to point to :catdrugs: being involved somehow.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

klapman posted:

Little Busters is the kind of VN that might take a few routes before the weird stuff starts becoming clearer.
The archives work for me now, which is super duper. In the future, could you turn down the LB music volume down a bit? Your commentary was pretty difficult to hear.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

I finished the second chapter of Higurashi. It was pretty :smith: but also :iiam:, and probably other emoticons as well.
You have a lot more left, but I hope you keep at it because the Kai chapters are probably going to make you go nuts.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Higurashi will ultimately expect you to accept some pretty unlikely things, so it's best to be prepared.

Silver2195 posted:

On Chapter 2, Day 10 in Higurashi. A lot happening, although my suspension of disbelief is getting somewhat strained.
  • Who's Satoko and Rika's legal guardian, anyway? One of the odder Japanese pop culture cliches is the apparently emancipated minors all over the place.
This is addressed in later chapters - I think we ultimately get answers to that question for both of them? I can certainly come up with plausible ones.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?
About to finish the fourth Higurashi arc. The biggest complaint I have is with the music, it's all generic as hell so far. Do the later arcs BGM ever compare to Umineko's or did they not have enough money when they made Higurashi?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Kringlorr posted:

About to finish the fourth Higurashi arc. The biggest complaint I have is with the music, it's all generic as hell so far. Do the later arcs BGM ever compare to Umineko's or did they not have enough money when they made Higurashi?

There's new/better music in the second half yeah.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first four Higurashi chapters were pretty much created by one guy with a stock music license. There are a few original tracks in Kai at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kringlorr posted:

Chapters 1-4 use some sort of public domain nonsense. 5-8 was when Ryukishi07 got all of his doujin composer friends to work for him to superlative results, such as dai and pre-holder who of course would go on to work on Umineko as well.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
zts had music in Higurashi as well. This was pretty memorable.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Weird and under the radar, but Aksys Games has localized "Kamaitachi no Yoru" (Gamecenter CX fans may be familiar with this) under the name of "Banshee's Last Cry"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/banshees-last-cry/id740139977?mt=8

Apparently according to that screenshot, they localized the Japanese names, it seems. I almost didn't recognize that it was supposed to be KnY until it was pointed out to me because of that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's a decent mystery game. I ended up bullshitting my way to the truth, but apparently there's a lot of alternate paths that unlock once you solve it, where more ridiculous or silly things can happen. I'm always gonna be amused about the everyone murders each other out of paranoia ending though which I got on my first playthrough since I did not know what I was doing, since it just reminds me of Higurashi and the Axe ending from 999. I kinda wish there was a flow chart, but I assume some of the branches are false branches where the protagonist thinks of something dumb, or they raise some flag somewhere.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I have managed to bait someone into Muv Luv without divulging any of the Unlimited or Alternative details. First reaction:

"What the hell is a mech doing on my lawn? Hypothesis: Takeru is currently on drugs inside a Valgern-on arcade machine."

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I'm not sure whether you're the best or worst friend.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chickenfrogman posted:

I'm not sure whether you're the best or worst friend.

Or his friend is gullible as poo poo to get through extra twice W/O baiting.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've started Tatarigoroshi.
  • Is this supposed to be the "Satoko route"? She's starting to show a personality that isn't completely one-note, which is good, but it's potentially setting her up as some sort of love interest, which is bad.
  • This is supposed to be "the shortest scenario", and it lives up to it by starting on what must be at least equivalent to Day 4 of the Watanagashi chapter.
  • The "scenario jump" doesn't seem to be working for this chapter for some reason, perhaps because revealing the number of days would give something away.
  • Could the "unknown drug" from Onikakushi have been something developed by the Japanese military and stolen by Mion's grandfather?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I've started Tatarigoroshi.
  • Is this supposed to be the "Satoko route"? She's starting to show a personality that isn't completely one-note, which is good, but it's potentially setting her up as some sort of love interest, which is bad.

Relax

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Higurashi (and Umineko for that matter) do not have "routes" like you seem to be thinking of, other than some chapters focusing on certain characters more than others.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?
Does Meakishi not have an All-Star Cast Review Session? The only thing I could find in the Extra's tab is the Staff Room scene with Ryukishi07 revealing that he's a chair.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I really wish that Muv-luv extra wasn't (supposedly) a fairly important thing to go through before working up to Muv-luv Alternative. There's some funny parts, and the way the view and sounds shift around is pretty cool, but yeah, ugh, like every scene with the 3 maids is just unpleasant.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kringlorr posted:

Does Meakishi not have an All-Star Cast Review Session? The only thing I could find in the Extra's tab is the Staff Room scene with Ryukishi07 revealing that he's a chair.
RK07 either stopped doing them with the Kai chapters (the chapters are already the "solutions" after all :v:) or MangaGamer couldn't be bothered to translate them, I can't remember which. I think it's the former, because I believe the segments MangaGamer removed were the RK07 Staff Room stuff in the first four chapters. He spent one rambling on about his favorite RPGs or something.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Or his friend is gullible as poo poo to get through extra twice W/O baiting.

It's his first VN, so he was going to do every single route anyway. Strange person, as he enjoyed Lacrosse.

Anyway, further into Umineko and Will somebody get the gun every episode? And the supposed "closed rooms" were pitifully simple mysteries, both of them.

E: Oh, and the meta discussions between Battler and Beatrice, along with the meta ways of disproving theories such as the red text. Really clever.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 27, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mederlock posted:

Holy poo poo I really wish that Muv-luv extra wasn't (supposedly) a fairly important thing to go through before working up to Muv-luv Alternative. There's some funny parts, and the way the view and sounds shift around is pretty cool, but yeah, ugh, like every scene with the 3 maids is just unpleasant.
It's not 'supposedly,' it literally is.

Also remember it goes Extra > Unlimited > Alternative, not Extra > Alternative. Unlimited is part of Extra, though.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Anyway, further into Umineko and Will somebody get the gun every episode? And the supposed "closed rooms" were pitifully simple mysteries, both of them.

If you are in the second episode, of course it is because it relies on Battler being an idiot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kind of curious what you think the answers are.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Mederlock posted:

You can safely CTRL through anything with the maids or involving lacrosse.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Kind of curious what you think the answers are.

Well, the first one was already answered. Its where the envelope Maria had was taken, the key used and then the envelope re-sealed whilst the second one can be easily explained by saying Jessica's key was used to lock the door, not the Master Keys.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well, the first one was already answered. Its where the envelope Maria had was taken, the key used and then the envelope re-sealed whilst the second one can be easily explained by saying Jessica's key was used to lock the door, not the Master Keys.

Uhh, the second one can't be right. Jessica's personal key was found locked up in her room.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Uhh, the second one can't be right. Jessica's personal key was found locked up in her room.

Oh. Yeah. Well crap, magic did it!

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Oh. Yeah. Well crap, magic did it!

Don't let the witch win you fool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nephilm posted:

You can safely CTRL through anything with the maids or involving lacrosse.

Oh okay, that'll save me a lot of whincing in disdain, thanks.

• Locked thread