Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Enzer posted:

Pffttbwaahahaha.

"The second I find more amusing; our mods (programs) run on their game (the runtime), and this grants them unlimited rights over our work. Now let's take this in the abstract; a provider of a runtime can claim all rights on anything using that runtime. This sounds fair right? Well, yes to a lay member of the public, but any developer will immediately notice the flaw - Mojang's game (a program) runs on top of the Java Runtime Environment (the JRE, a runtime); does this mean Oracle can turn around and claim all rights on every Java program, including Mojangs work on Minecraft? Of course not, that'd be silly, and this is my point."

Holy poo poo this guy is stupid.

For someone who has done some programming, he clearly doesn't seem to understand the concept of derivative work. It's hilarious. :)

Enzer posted:

"Your move Mojang, we don't think this makes sense, and if you keep up with this weird EULA crap, we won't stay; we will move to less hostile pastures, where hopefully a company will not treat us like an annoyance."

What loving game would you move onto? Also, please go, don't let the door hit you in the rear end, don't need this poo poo poisoning the community. :v:

He could always move to the Elder Scrolls modding community. With ideas like that, he'd fit right in. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
We will move to less hostile pastures, where a company will let us corrupt saves or installations and let us treat users like criminals.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

mechaet posted:

http://strider.sunstrike.io/modders-ownership-rights/

Please tell me he actually thinks what he said makes sense. :allears:

I decided to stalk look this guy up on twitter, wound up finding a couple of amusing conversation chains.

https://twitter.com/SirSengir/status/426743390341185536

Ah yes, mojang's rules of "we cant trust you all to not be dicks, so we're making it official: dont be dicks" are really indicative of their desire to not have (bad) mods for their game.

https://twitter.com/AZSunstrike/status/420293131117285376

Firmly against rules that take away control of your mods. But finally, someone has taken someone else's mod and converted it to a thing I like! Should have happened sooner!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

mechaet posted:

http://strider.sunstrike.io/modders-ownership-rights/

Please tell me he actually thinks what he said makes sense. :allears:

Sunstrike posted:

Your move Mojang, we don't think this makes sense, and if you keep up with this weird EULA crap, we won't stay; we will move to less hostile pastures, where hopefully a company will not treat us like an annoyance.

Please do so at your earliest convenience tia :allears:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah the company with a legal team's understanding of copyright is so hilarious. Clearly they should be deferring to experts such as professional developers who have never had to deal with copyright (due to working for someone else) or literal children who know Java.

gently caress, stupid webcomic authors have a better understanding of copyright than these clowns.

I wonder what kind of bees Sengir's "appropriate steps" involve.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Fortis posted:

I wonder what kind of bees Sengir's "appropriate steps" involve.

Copyright bees. They lookup the modpack running and if you don't have permissions from all of the modders that created the mods in your pack, they corrupt your world irrevocably.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

mechaet posted:

Copyright bees. They lookup the modpack running and if you don't have permissions from all of the modders that created the mods in your pack, they corrupt your world irrevocably.

They lock down every feature except bee breeding, and the only material they produce, at great expense, is takedown notices.

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
I'll just download the new version of Plunder Rummage and...

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'm left wondering why these guys don't just make their own game. It's like they have every irredeemable trait of hysterical manchildren except the part where they do us all a favor and take their ball and go home.

edit: I mean you could say it's because they love the attention but they have a built in audience who will follow them to the ends of the earth (i.e. anyone who is a staunch FTB supporter "on principle")

Fortis fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 24, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

NinjaPablo posted:

I'll just download the new version of Plunder Rummage and...

:allears:

I'm really hoping one of these guys decides to make a big enough scene and ruckus over being told to not put malicious code in your mod that Mojang has to send them a cease and desist notice or Mojang tells Curse to loving purge them from the forums.

So one of my favorite arguments I'm hearing right now is that despite what Marc as a representative of Mojang is saying, not all he is saying (malicious code rules) are not in the EULA right now, so it doesn't mean anything, despite Marc being the mouth piece of the company.

Now where did I hear something similar. Oh yeah, now I remember! "Mojang's EULA doesn't grant us the right to mod their game, in fact reads as not being allowed to mod, but the company has verbally said its OK."

Yeah, sorry modding community, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Fortis posted:

I'm left wondering why these guys don't just make their own game. It's like they have every irredeemable trait of hysterical manchildren except the part where they do us all a favor and take their ball and go home.

Because that requires significant time, skills, resources and effort. They also wouldn't be working on an established product's curtails for their own popularity.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Fortis posted:

Not a one of them remotely has the skill to make something without building it off someone else's code (Mojangs)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Fortis posted:

edit: I mean you could say it's because they love the attention but they have a built in audience who will follow them to the ends of the earth (i.e. anyone who is a staunch FTB supporter "on principle")

Except they can't exactly take their ball, they have to leave it behind for other filthy users to pick up and play with. Or toss aside when a better ball comes around.

All I'm saying is that they don't have any balls. :v:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
The thing is, the amount of time they spend on this poo poo could be spent making a game, both in terms of dev time and all of this ridiculous posturing and tilting and windmills.

I know KingLemming has recognized that the development time he puts into TE could be diverted in this way, and the fact that the other ForgeCraft insiders don't seem to consider this is the reason that it completely blows my mind when I find out they are actual adults.

Although it's possible they already are. Sengir's tweet actually makes me think he's working on his own game, which I can only imagine would be TediumCraft, a game for people who feel they experience too much leisure to escape into a world of toil for little to no meaningful reward.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am going to send Mojang an email telling him what a good decision this was. The whiny modders can get hosed.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

The thing is, the amount of time they spend on this poo poo could be spent making a game, both in terms of dev time and all of this ridiculous posturing and tilting and windmills.

I know KingLemming has recognized that the development time he puts into TE could be diverted in this way, and the fact that the other ForgeCraft insiders don't seem to consider this is the reason that it completely blows my mind when I find out they are actual adults.

Although it's possible they already are. Sengir's tweet actually makes me think he's working on his own game, which I can only imagine would be TediumCraft, a game for people who feel they experience too much leisure to escape into a world of toil for little to no meaningful reward.

I could be proven wrong, but I have a strong feeling that any "lets make our own game" project that comes out of modders being unhappy with Mojang would go the same way as Minia or whatever the gently caress it was called, the game that Elloraam was making because MC was too poo poo. It would get a lot of noise and attention, but eventually it would turn to vaporware.

So I'm not really up to date on the whole "whose in whose circle" when it comes to modders. How was Searge generally viewed in the community and now that he works for the evil Mojang, do modders hate him?

Enzer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 24, 2014

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Searge didn't make mods, just tools. He's the guy behind MCP, which Forge requires in order to exist.

I don't think anyone hates him for going to Mojang, but some people are understandably concerned about the future of MCP, since it is very literally the foundation of all Forge modding.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
It's not the type of pack that usually catches on here, but a few of you might be interested to know that the FTB subreddit's Test Pack Please Ignore is coming out in open beta in <1hr. It's a big (164 mods according to FML) ultimate-style pack of both tech and magic mods (modlist here) with quite a lot of work into balancing them against each other in the sense that one mod shouldn't allow you to skip massive parts of the intended tech tree of another, like artifice steel trivializing Mek. It's gregtech-included but they've done some nice nerfing so that IC2 machines aren't any harder to make, hammers give 1:1 plates, storage blocks don't have to be compressed, and no recipes/mechanics outside of GT/IC2 are touched. It also has customized ore gen which clusters each type of ore into a much smaller range of y-levels, so you can easily do targetted manual mining.

If any of that sounds interesting, there should be a private pack code over here within 10 minutes or so.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fortis posted:

Sengir has been developing his own game for a while and mostly has passed on the reigns of his MC projects to work on his game. It's just the bee breeding part of forestry.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Fruit Chewy posted:

It's not the type of pack that usually catches on here, but a few of you might be interested to know that the FTB subreddit's Test Pack Please Ignore is coming out in open beta in <1hr. It's a big (164 mods according to FML) ultimate-style pack of both tech and magic mods (modlist here) with quite a lot of work into balancing them against each other in the sense that one mod shouldn't allow you to skip massive parts of the intended tech tree of another, like artifice steel trivializing Mek. It's gregtech-included but they've done some nice nerfing so that IC2 machines aren't any harder to make, hammers give 1:1 plates, storage blocks don't have to be compressed, and no recipes/mechanics outside of GT/IC2 are touched. It also has customized ore gen which clusters each type of ore into a much smaller range of y-levels, so you can easily do targetted manual mining.

If any of that sounds interesting, there should be a private pack code over here within 10 minutes or so.

If it were available in any way other than through the FTB launcher I'd try it.

Also amusing is they're using Thaumcraft and Twilight Forest without permission for either, according to their mod list, which makes a bunch more that are "conditional on permission for all other mods" invalid.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

m2pt5 posted:

Also amusing is they're using Thaumcraft and Twilight Forest without permission for either, according to their mod list, which makes a bunch more that are "conditional on permission for all other mods" invalid.

AFAIK both TC4 and TF have given blanket permission to all modpacks based on the FTB launcher to use their mods, so as long as the FTB people are OK with it it's kosher.

Edit: apparently they use a workaround. You must DL and manually install every mod they don't have permissions for.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 24, 2014

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

m2pt5 posted:

TC and Twilight Forest are both using a loophole similar to ATLauncher. They don't download with the pack, but when you launch it, the TPPI-Tweaks mod displays a splash with a button that opens the download links and a button that opens the mod folder, instructing you to download them and put them there yourself.

You could use the internal pack download link and roll your own MultiMC instance of the pack.

Edit: vv FTB has a handful of 1.6.4 packs out including this one.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 24, 2014

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Is the FTB launcher still not able to run 1.6.4? I see a bunch of mods on that list that I'm pretty sure haven't been updated for 1.6.4 yet. If that's the case, I've just lost interest in it; I would rather have the latest versions.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

m2pt5 posted:

Is the FTB launcher still not able to run 1.6.4? I see a bunch of mods on that list that I'm pretty sure haven't been updated for 1.6.4 yet. If that's the case, I've just lost interest in it; I would rather have the latest versions.

Nah this is a 1.6.4 pack. Or so the launcher tells me.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fruit Chewy posted:

TC and Twilight Forest are both using a loophole similar to ATLauncher. They don't download with the pack, but when you launch it, the TPPI-Tweaks mod displays a splash with a button that opens the download links and a button that opens the mod folder, instructing you to download them and put them there yourself.

You could use the internal pack download link and roll your own MultiMC instance of the pack.

Edit: vv FTB has a handful of 1.6.4 packs out including this one.

Or I could play a Platform modpack that doesn't give a rats rear end about permissions and downloads everything in one click.

Yeah, I think I'll do that. :effort:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You know, after all this, I still don't understand why this is an issue in the first place.
These people have already put their mods out for public download, which means, ostensibly, that anyone can get them and use them in their copy of Minecraft, right? So why is it even an issue whether it's done with a modpack or not (which, as far as I can tell, seems to be the core of the drama to begin with)? What is it people are fighting for when they make broad claims about "modder's rights"? What are they arguing over, when you cut out all the bullshit? Originally I was convinced it was just a matter of not getting those fractional pennies from AdFly but now I'm not even sure anymore. That can't really be what caused all this drama can it? I mean is that still what this is about, at its core?

I really want to know, without the hyperbole, without the vague smokescreen of larger issues ("Mojang doesn't care about modders!!"), without any of that, just why this is even a problem, just what's being violated here. In simplest, most direct terms, what are they actually mad about.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yogscast made youtube videos about tekkit instead of videos about IC2EEBCRedpoweretc. So a bunch of people got mad.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

Yogscast made youtube videos about tekkit instead of videos about IC2EEBCRedpoweretc. So a bunch of people got mad.

Yep. And now people make videos about Feed The Beast instead of videos about the individually named mods so now it's okay because of reasons.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
If I remember correctly from the early days of Technic, some of the complaints were along the lines of feeling like the mod pack and its assemblers were getting too much of the credit and the individual modders were getting ignored and forgotten even though they did all the hard work. This is totally different with FTB because

e: beaten

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

You know, after all this, I still don't understand why this is an issue in the first place.
These people have already put their mods out for public download, which means, ostensibly, that anyone can get them and use them in their copy of Minecraft, right? So why is it even an issue whether it's done with a modpack or not (which, as far as I can tell, seems to be the core of the drama to begin with)? What is it people are fighting for when they make broad claims about "modder's rights"? What are they arguing over, when you cut out all the bullshit? Originally I was convinced it was just a matter of not getting those fractional pennies from AdFly but now I'm not even sure anymore. That can't really be what caused all this drama can it? I mean is that still what this is about, at its core?

I really want to know, without the hyperbole, without the vague smokescreen of larger issues ("Mojang doesn't care about modders!!"), without any of that, just why this is even a problem, just what's being violated here. In simplest, most direct terms, what are they actually mad about.

Adfly clicks. Seriously.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:
Hey, does anybody here have experience with pre-generating maps for a modded server? Does the Minecraft Land Generator really work regardless of mod setup? I want to know if I'm wasting my time or not before starting this gigantic two-week enterprise of trying to make an ATG/Highlands server playable.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

m2pt5 posted:

Never Stop Testing, you say?

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

Vib Rib posted:

I realized I'm really only using Mekanism for its green generators anymore.

Do you have something against adorable robots?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Limerick posted:

Hey, does anybody here have experience with pre-generating maps for a modded server? Does the Minecraft Land Generator really work regardless of mod setup? I want to know if I'm wasting my time or not before starting this gigantic two-week enterprise of trying to make an ATG/Highlands server playable.
I've had a smashing success using mcpc+ and the bukkit mod, 'WorldBorder'. I'm generating a 5000x5000 world right now to test different seeds and ATG.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Taffer posted:

Adfly clicks. Seriously.

Which is really funny because this is money that Mojang could sue for if it was worth it and they wanted to.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Carados posted:

Which is really funny because this is money that Mojang could sue for if it was worth it and they wanted to.

Don't forget many of then would like to tell players how and who can use their mod. They're deeply concerned players may be playing wrong.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

fondue posted:

Don't forget many of then would like to tell players how and who can use their mod. They're deeply concerned players may be playing wrong.
Well, that's just asking for a Mojang Employee to open up the heavens and publicly shame you now. They're still "discussing" what to do with ad.fly.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

fondue posted:

Mark719 posted:

Not sure if I will allow the magical crops to be automated, since I wanted this mod to require some work or it could become overpowered.

:hehe:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm updating the OP with new information and I need your help in this harsh new modding environment. Post mods, modpacks, maps, or servers that you feel should be included, or entries that need to be updated if I've missed them. Non-maintained packs won't stay in, to keep the listings relevant.

Edit: also drama

:justpost:

Syenite fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 25, 2014

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

You sir are part of the problem.

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Shukaro posted:

I'm updating the OP with new information and I need your help in this harsh new modding environment. Post mods, modpacks, maps, or servers that you feel should be included, or entries that need to be updated if I've missed them. Non-maintained packs won't stay in, to keep the listings relevant.

Edit: also drama

:justpost:

Thanks for the update to our thread; Luddite is in transition right now and the modpack will be updating next week to something a little more 'bare'.

• Locked thread