Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Uroboros posted:

Spiders...lots of spiders.

An entire Imperium where all of the sexes are reversed.

A door with a sign that says "Segmentum Furicus" which is populated by furries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SquadronROE posted:

A door with a sign that says "Segmentum Furicus" which is populated by furries.

Fenris?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A door that opens up onto a balcony that looks out onto the space hulk from a few km away.

A featureless room with an opaque orb floating in the middle. Looking at the orb deals intelligence damage. Touching it deals strength damage. Not looking at it deals willpower damage. Upon leaving they end up in the same place they were in before they entered. If they ask when their stats go back to normal, act confused and pretend the past 5-10 minutes never happened.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Doors labelled "II" and "XI".

A gateway to the alternate universe where the Emperor decided to blow up Horus' flagship instead of boarding it when the shields were down.

A time portal to the eve of the Horus Heresy, but history actively resists changing.

The Lion Emperor of Mankind.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

A peculiar orb that is floating and looks to be made of solid gold. If one of the players takes it, everything that they do becomes cartoon-like. For instance, none of their shots actually manage to hit enemies (but the enemies retreat anyway), they can survive immense falls/crushing blows/whatever, never need to eat or pee, etc.

A doorway that resets them to the time that they entered the room at. Like one of those Star Trek: TNG episodes where time is a loop.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

A door that opens up onto a balcony that looks out onto the space hulk from a few km away.

A featureless room with an opaque orb floating in the middle. Looking at the orb deals intelligence damage. Touching it deals strength damage. Not looking at it deals willpower damage. Upon leaving they end up in the same place they were in before they entered. If they ask when their stats go back to normal, act confused and pretend the past 5-10 minutes never happened.

I like this.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
A large room filled with a lot of furniture. standing on the floor causes constant energy damage that bypasses armor and toughness. Standing on the furniture does not cause damage.

A room filled with mannequins wearing various armor and clothing. There are some naked mannequins that have the body shapes of the players.

A giant ball Pit.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

If you want to make it grimdark:

A long hallway with numerous oil paintings illuminated by simple torches at the beginning, getting more technologically advanced as it gets to the end of the hallway. Glow orbs or whatever. The paintings are scenes from history, numerous ones involve the player characters. The ones at the end are "possibilities of the future".

If a character damages a painting they are in, the characters in the painting are dealt damage.

If a character destroys a painting they are in, they have to burn a fate point to stay alive / are horribly injured.

They gain insanity points by looking at the last painting in the gallery, and you as the GM should refuse to describe it because "I can't even read what I wrote, this was really late at night... in fact I'm not sure I remember writing this."

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
The evil version of the party (or the good version, whatever) complete with Snidely Whiplash mustaches. All of them speak in ridiculous golden era radio announcer voices.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
A room with an ork in a smoking jacket and reading glasses, sitting with his legs crossed in an elegant leather armchair with a copy of Crime and Punishment in one hand and a calabash pipe in the other. When the players enter the room, he looks up in mild surprise before exploding.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

A room with a screen displaying the PCs walking into a room with a screen. The video appears to be a live stream of the room with the PCs in it, except that there is no camera found where the video would suggest. Controls on the console allow the players to move the video forward and backward in time. If rewound, the screen shows the group entering the room and approaching the console. If rewound further, the video shows a scene from a previous room or game session. If fast forwarded it shows the PCs in an as yet unexplored room (preferably with disastrous things happening). If ejected, the tape is titled "The Rogue Trader Disaster. (filmed in Technicolor)"

A room with two opposing barricades behind which two warriors are taking cover. They take turns exchanging shots at the other, but never seem to see one another or have to reload their weapons. The barricades are approximately a meter apart.

A room where cartoon physics rule. Melee weapons are now rubber, guns fire BANG! flags, and one PC is flattened by an oversized anvil when they stand on an X marked in tape on the floor. The only way out is to draw a hole on the wall, but an annoying desert varmint will remove the hole if it is left unattended and attempt to engineer situations in which a player character would accidentally step on it and fall through for eternity. If pursued, the desert varmint can't be captured and anything the PCs try will backfire.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Some really sweet loot. Nothing bad about it, or any drawbacks, but make it seem like everything in the room is cursed and deadly.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

VanSandman posted:

Some really sweet loot. Nothing bad about it, or any drawbacks, but make it seem like everything in the room is cursed and deadly.

This reminds me of a DH campaign I ran once where I tried to give the PC's a big bag of money (I think a rich bad guy they took down was carrying it or something like that) so that they'd have some flexibility in getting equipment, and they refused to take it and just left it in the street because they thought there would be some kind of catch or drawback.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This reminds me of a DH campaign I ran once where I tried to give the PC's a big bag of money (I think a rich bad guy they took down was carrying it or something like that) so that they'd have some flexibility in getting equipment, and they refused to take it and just left it in the street because they thought there would be some kind of catch or drawback.

And lose 1000 exp for metagaming you fuckers!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A pallet of high value currency, maybe four tonnes of it. Enough liquid cash to buy a few profit factors worth of stuff without having to bother freeing up resources. If they want it, they have to drag it along with them through whatever else happens along the way.

10,000 frozen chickens, stacked.

A single gold coin in the middle of the room. Actually a gilded micro-krak grenade on a motion trigger.

A large machine with a hole in it at about shoulder height. A plate on it says "Insert arm and key in code". If they're stupid enough to put their arm in it and press a button, cut it off.

Laser defence grids covering the whole room. Acrobatics checks to get past every metre or you eat a wound as they slice through your armour and flesh.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Uroboros posted:

And lose 1000 exp for metagaming you fuckers!

Because there's no way a DH character would be suspicious about anything in character.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A room containing windows into other rooms, but not necessarily adjacent ones.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If it's PnP:

Describe the room you all are currently in at the moment. Begin treating the players as if they were their characters. Induce them to leave the room and start going around outside, describing locations and places as you go. Start screeching at them for "breaking immersion" if they start getting antsy about the whole thing.

The end goal is to get them to mount a raid on a corrupt Arbites (read: police) station.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Waci posted:

Because there's no way a DH character would be suspicious about anything in character.

A few thrones isn't something one would think holds a demon of the warp. I suppose if the guy they killed was a heretic sorcerer their suspicions would make sense, but the way he worded it is that they just seemed to think the DM would be out to gently caress them out of the money if they took it, so why bother? Although, I am liking the idea of a cursed "40K credit card" that allows a demon to infest the financial systems of a hive world bringing the stock market to a crash.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

I'd say low on the actual Profit Factor since you're basically giving it to the Navy out of what passes for the goodness of your hearts and since the Navy probably wouldn't be tremendously inclined to buy one of their own (very, very valuable) ships that they view as theirs by right
Yes, but having the Navy be well-inclined to you could quite easily count as profit factor in itself. Rogue Traders ARE officially sanctioned by the Imperium, after all, so if they like you you might find it easier to buy supplies and repairs, etc etc. Profit Factor isn't just raw money. There's a reason you have it instead of just very large prices and budgets.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Uroboros posted:

A few thrones isn't something one would think holds a demon of the warp. I suppose if the guy they killed was a heretic sorcerer their suspicions would make sense, but the way he worded it is that they just seemed to think the DM would be out to gently caress them out of the money if they took it, so why bother? Although, I am liking the idea of a cursed "40K credit card" that allows a demon to infest the financial systems of a hive world bringing the stock market to a crash.
Not everything is daemons. If you found a shady-looking dude dead in the street with a sack of money IRL you probably wouldn't take his money in case someone came looking for it, or it was stolen and using it would get you tracked down, or it was forged, or you got stopped by the police and had to explain why you were carrying £Lots in raw cash (possibly with mild bloodstaining).

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Talkie Toaster posted:

Not everything is daemons. If you found a shady-looking dude dead in the street with a sack of money IRL you probably wouldn't take his money in case someone came looking for it, or it was stolen and using it would get you tracked down, or it was forged, or you got stopped by the police and had to explain why you were carrying £Lots in raw cash (possibly with mild bloodstaining).

Because we're the Inquisition and we can do what we want? You're giving 40k law enforcement a lot of credit my friend. They would be more likely to have the SPACE POLICE try to steal the money, or simply use it to bribe them.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Not everyone likes to announce their status by having a horde of servitors with trumpets enter a building ahead of them and float in the air in the =I= shape while singing their praises.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
drat, now I want a guy who travels around heralded by his cherubim acrobatic display team.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Because we're the Inquisition and we can do what we want? You're giving 40k law enforcement a lot of credit my friend. They would be more likely to have the SPACE POLICE try to steal the money, or simply use it to bribe them.

When it comes to get away with things because of inquisitor influence I don't think I've ever played a DH game where I could tell anyone I was working for the inquisition. Maybe that's because they never got high level but all I can recall is subterfuge and lies and zero funding or back up. My GM likes to have the inquisitor show up, make some crazy demands/goals and then leave without helping any of it come to fruition. We usually HAVE to work for the inquisitor, it's not some honor or recognition we were granted.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

When it comes to get away with things because of inquisitor influence I don't think I've ever played a DH game where I could tell anyone I was working for the inquisition. Maybe that's because they never got high level but all I can recall is subterfuge and lies and zero funding or back up. My GM likes to have the inquisitor show up, make some crazy demands/goals and then leave without helping any of it come to fruition. We usually HAVE to work for the inquisitor, it's not some honor or recognition we were granted.

That's precisely why they should take the money though. Inquisitorial cells are basically deniable criminal gangs until they reach a point where they're worth the expenditure of some influence to protect (or they have enough influence they can protect themselves). At no point should they be giving a gently caress what the planetary authorities think. If your inquisitor didn't want your cell taking some minor risks* to acquire the cash to carry out their operations he could drat well pony up the scratch to make that happen. If he isn't he should simply be pleased that the players are taking initiative to make things happen.

*Which is what running gunfights with enforcer squads really are in DH

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

LGD posted:

That's precisely why they should take the money though. Inquisitorial cells are basically deniable criminal gangs until they reach a point where they're worth the expenditure of some influence to protect (or they have enough influence they can protect themselves). At no point should they be giving a gently caress what the planetary authorities think. If your inquisitor didn't want your cell taking some minor risks* to acquire the cash to carry out their operations he could drat well pony up the scratch to make that happen. If he isn't he should simply be pleased that the players are taking initiative to make things happen.

*Which is what running gunfights with enforcer squads really are in DH

Oh I agree, I'm just saying I never even considered doing something and then justifying my actions by announcing my true employer. That sounds like the most dangerous idea ever.

Our GM was talking to me the other day and we got on a long tangent on how they really want to make an RPG where everyone plays as Orks. I was wondering if anyone knew of good home rules for this? I mean something more than just playing an Ork in Rogue Trader. I mean more like Gorka Morka but an RPG.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh I agree, I'm just saying I never even considered doing something and then justifying my actions by announcing my true employer. That sounds like the most dangerous idea ever.

I've been in a lot of these games with you and yeah, even our (few) capable groups were basically used like that Suicide Squad comics team. The inquisitor MIGHT show up and give you a self-destructing dossier or very specific piece of mission critical equipment at most. It's usually "find a cult in this city and root it out, they probably have tattoos that look like this or maybe not, good luck plebs, would hate for you to have to go back to the penal legion."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
It boggles my mind that standard practice (as standard as inquisitors get) isn't to recruit individuals who have already shown substantial skill in their own areas of experience and instead throw a bunch of chucklefucks at a wall and sees which one of them sticks.

Hell, once you go Ascension, getting your own cells together is a tremendous investment and risk of permanent influence. You can't afford to recruit morons, even accidentally. DH was really trying to find its legs and went with the standard group of weirdos meet get together to murder kobolds/gangs/cultists for spare change and repeat.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ronwayne posted:

It boggles my mind that standard practice (as standard as inquisitors get) isn't to recruit individuals who have already shown substantial skill in their own areas of experience and instead throw a bunch of chucklefucks at a wall and sees which one of them sticks.

I distinctly remember back in the days when 40K RPGs were a long-awaited dream of many a nerd and Dark Heresy was being teased and previewed that they were hyping it as being similar to Dan Abnett's "Eisenhorn" novels. Eisenhorn, for the one or two people in this thread who haven't read them, is a trilogy of novels about an Inquisitor (who slides from puritanism to radicalism over the course of the series) and his pals who go around doing Inquisitorial things. His retinue consists of, among other people and at various times, a cleric with meme-virus Aspergers that compels him to collect knowledge and makes him a walking encyclopedia, a roguish gunship pilot with custom cybernetics for better piloting, a seasoned Arbites investigator, and a former prostitute who happens to have a special one-in-a-bazillion condition that makes her utterly impervious to the Warp but also creeps people the hell out. Eisenhorn himself has some psychic ability, some combat skill, but generally isn't running around one-shotting everything and destroying planets left and right.

So everybody is competent and skilled at what they do but not to an overwhelming degree. Eisenhorn himself in particular gets the poo poo kicked out of him repeatedly over the course of the stories, suffering permanent debilities and disfigurement and also making a deal with a daemon and other people die and go into comas and stuff, so it's still very clearly a dangerous and hosed up sort of job.

Then Dark Heresy came out and, like you said, the premise of the game instead seemed to be "you're a bunch of complete scrubs and rejects rounded up and thrown at a problem in the vague hope that you'll make it stop, best of luck." This caused quite a lot of arguments at least over at RPGnet following release with a lot of insufferablity on both sides but I do remember reading over Dark Heresy having only recently finished reading through Eisenhorn and thinking to myself that it probably wasn't the best comparison they could have made.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I know MREs made of dead people are very grimdark but when your game makes me try to scrounge up couch change to buy them I get ornery.

I may be pissy after my first DH game years ago when the GM had me run around for three sessions on a side quest to get more armaments. After running over people, shooting people, and burning down a quarter-ish of the city, we got my reward: three whole magazines of normal autogun bullets.

Later on the arbite went and beat the poo poo out of like, 5 pdf troopers in full flak with a shock baton while he was at 0 wounds without taking a single (more) damage, but in general I remember the campaign being pretty balls.

I think the GM got sidetracked when we managed to wipe out the cult unintentionally through collateral damage.

...now that I think about it may have been the platonically perfect introduction to 40k.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't think there's anything wrong with playing a game of "street scum and nobodies desperately scrounging for bullets as they try and figure out how to kill the genestealer cult" if that's what you're in to, but the idea that Inquisitors...some of the most powerful and influential people in the entire setting...are going to recruit such people as a matter of course and cultivate them over time like some flailing bonsai tree into actual effective acolytes instead of simply recruiting skilled and talented people from the start is kind of absurd. If an Inquisitor drops by your palatial planetary governor's estate and tells you he wants the loan of three of your best house guards, a face-to-face with the local AdMech magos, and a list of your most dangerous criminals that haven't been executed yet, what are you gonna do? Tell him no?

From a perspective of "a 40K RPG about playing normal people dealing with the overwhelming and omnipresent danger of the grimdark future" I think Only War handles the subject a lot better than Dark Heresy.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, but Only War is the latest, and the history of the different game lines shows a pattern of change comparable to those evolution drawings of ameoba>fishthing>dinosaur>bird>dude.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh sure. I mean, also bear in mind that Dark Heresy was originally made by Black Library before being passed off to FFG following Black Library's closure by GW. I believe that there were stipulations appended to the arrangement to the effect of "you can publish this but you can't change any of it."

Even more than revisions to the system I'd love to see a new edition of Dark Heresy that goes back and revises the concepts behind the game. I mean, mechanically there's a lot of interesting stuff FFG's done since then that would be nice to see too...back when Dark Heresy first came out I thought it was a criminally missed opportunity that the book didn't have rules for designing your team's Inquisitor like a group resource that gave you various bonuses and penalties, and lo and behold when Only War came out the regimental creation rules were more or less exactly what I'd envisioned...but I think the idea of "low-level scrubs scrambling to survive" doesn't mesh very well with "hand-picked team of Inquisitorial agents," and the books for the line that I read through rarely seemed to want to address any of the interesting potential inherent in the privileges and consequences of being agents of the Inquisition, ignoring all of that in favor of CoC-style investigation adventures in 40K-land.

Yeah, I know there's supposed to be a new edition coming out but it just sounds like a mechanical overhaul bringing it up to Only War's level, which ain't the worst thing.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Having really scarce resources is really fun in a 40k game (I'm running Only War and I'm only giving my Squad like +2 Logistics a month) but counting thrones is a real pain when you have so many different ways to acquire cash or to barter the weird stuff you'll find as an Acolyte.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Tech-priests directing copper theft. Fate points burned as the machine spirit in the Breakerboxitus is insufficiently placated to turn the gently caress off.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Acolytes aren't hand picked elites, those are Throne Agents. Acolytes are what happens when Throne Agents send their undercover minions to terrify some random scrubs into working for them.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I hope this isn't a case of "oh god not this again", but I'm rolling a Stormtrooper in an Only War campaign. I'm happy with the setup, but there's one thing. The hot-shot lasgun, or "the thing that totally isn't a hellgun anymore and you shouldn't call it that either" weapon.

After noticing there was no ammo listed in the class description, the errata mentioned that Specialists get 3 clips of ammunition, assuming there has been nothing specified for them. Great. But, hot-shot lasguns, according to FFG, require 10kg backpacks. The errata FAQ mentions they get at least one backpack. A stonking heavy backpack would be perfectly with me if it wasn't for the fact that you only get 30 shots out of it.

Then there's the fact that apparently the older hellguns used backpacks, and the big deal about these new Hot-shots is that they don't need those backpacks anymore. Looking around at art, wiki's, and other mumbos that seems to hold up. Even the FFG art has a Hot-shot lasgun with a chargepack in it.

I'm a bit at a loss. The official rules say that I can only use this big gently caress-off backpack that weighs almost as much as a full carapace suit yet only provides a pitiful 30 rounds. Backpacks in general seem absolutely crazy. 25 kg backpack that holds 200 rounds for guns, doesn't matter whether those rounds are autocannon rounds or autopistol rounds. 80 laspistol shots or 80 lascannon shots.

Now there are people who use the ascension backpack which holds 150 hellgun rounds, they use a houserule that a backpack is simply 5x the normal clip size, some use the backpack ammo's relative size (as in, 15kg worth of ammo: That would amount to about 2000 normal lasgun shots or 13 lascannon shots).

Given that carrying weight is an actual thing, especially with all these weapons and equipment you lug around .. I'm not really sure what the best option is. To me, it feels like a big freaking mess. :downsgun:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Iceshade posted:

I'm a bit at a loss. The official rules say that I can only use this big gently caress-off backpack that weighs almost as much as a full carapace suit yet only provides a pitiful 30 rounds. Backpacks in general seem absolutely crazy. 25 kg backpack that holds 200 rounds for guns, doesn't matter whether those rounds are autocannon rounds or autopistol rounds. 80 laspistol shots or 80 lascannon shots.

Now there are people who use the ascension backpack which holds 150 hellgun rounds, they use a houserule that a backpack is simply 5x the normal clip size, some use the backpack ammo's relative size (as in, 15kg worth of ammo: That would amount to about 2000 normal lasgun shots or 13 lascannon shots).

Given that carrying weight is an actual thing, especially with all these weapons and equipment you lug around .. I'm not really sure what the best option is. To me, it feels like a big freaking mess. :downsgun:

Before Only War there was a supplement for Dark Heresy that detailed equipment based on region: Hive City, Space Station, War Zone, ect. Anyway hidden away in those books were the rules for what happened if you put a standard las pack into a hellgun. I think it was something like 7 shots for the pistol, 15 shots for the basic weapon. Once I found that rule I convinced the GM to let me use it in every 40k RPG since.

Sorry, but that's the only advice I can give you on 'hot shot' guns (that totally aren't the guns that can only shoot once ugh FFG why?). If anyone knows the actual real answer let me know because these rules books are arcane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Hot-shot lasguns/pistols, by default, use a special 10kg backpack that can actually be reloaded, it's just slow to do so. That's why the hot-shot lasgun's stats says it needs 2 full actions to reload. If you hook it up to an actual backpack, you get 80 shots with no need to reload, although you technically have ten shots less than you would with three reloads.

I wouldn't worry too much about weight, as at least everyone who runs PbP games of 40k rpgs just ignores it entirely. Weight management isn't fun, and it's not like you can just buy overpowered gear in Only War, so no real need to pay attention to encumbrance.