Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey now, it's not like he admitted to anything truly worthy of condemnation, like watching My Little Pony! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Hey now, it's not like he admitted to anything truly worthy of condemnation, like watching My Little Pony! :v:
Let's just pray that these two things never intersect.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yapping Eevee posted:

Congratulations, Mordaedil. You just discovered one of the things you should never, ever admit to in this sub-forum for fear of goons turning against you. (I'm sure you can think of at least two other popular choices for this. :v: )

Which is kind of a pity, because your post has some interesting insights to offer. This whole thread has yielded some wonderful discussion amongst the sad excuses for 'games' we've seen, and it's made for good reading.

I guess it'd be one thing if I was still doing it, but this is about the same level as saying "I made lovely flash animations on newgrounds as a kid", isn't it? It's like ten years ago, I figured I could kinda put it behind me now.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Endorph posted:

Well, I definitely didn't write about throbbing orc manhoods with them.

ERP is the ultimate in safe sex. No diseases, no pregnancy, and an excellent opportunity to learn how to negotiate for your desires and figure out the kinds of things other possible partners might like in an environment with limited consequences. Schools should encourage teenagers to write about throbbing orc manhoods with each other, while separated by a distance of at least several miles.

... Now try to figure out just how serious I am.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
And then if it gets weird or awkward they can just abruptly walk away with no explanation, put that person on their ignore list and never have to deal with them again.

...yes, I can actually see why this might have more appeal than RL relationships at that age.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
On the subject of whether women play male characters as often as men play women... It depends.

For games where the gender of your player-character matters, it depends on what it effects. Like, in a Harvest Moon game, where it effects which characters you'll be romancing, I'll usually go with the girl, unless I dislike the designs on the bachelors (Here's looking at you, Another Wonderful Life and DS Cute)... But otherwise, it just depends on what I want, not some deep loyalty to my gender.
For games where it does not, then it depends on what design I like better. The one exception to this seems to be Pokémon, where I'll usually pick the girl.

On the other hand, for games where real RP is on the table, I find all of my female friends and I are about as likely to make a male character as a female. (and, in one case, dramatically more likely to make a male character than a female.) It doesn't really feel significant that we're playing across gender lines, we're just playing the character we feel would be the most fun to play at that juncture.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

OwlFancier posted:

It's a really weird stance to take because surely anybody with a brain wouldn't arbitrarily draw a line between creative things for boys and creative things for girls. Both are given creative toys as children, it's just for some reason boys get meccano and lego and girls get doll houses, but you're creating things in both circumstances, creativity itself is fun for both.

Especially as you say, you can either build houses (ultimate your dad simulator) or run your own soap opera (ultimate your mum simulator)

I honestly don't know if that was the honest stance of the board or if Jeff Braun is projecting some of his personal frustrations through that quote. Prior to the Sims, Maxis had a strong history of appealing to a wide demographic. However, the company had large losses from their failed attempt to expand their brand. SimCoptor was a sales failure and their expensive acquisition of Cinematronics would take years to pay back. It's why they were acquired by EA. It's possible that their lukewarm support of the Sims was a result of significant belt-tightening measures and their desire to become a worthwhile investment for EA to keep their jobs. However, EA was very supportive of the Sims and the rest is history.

D3m3 posted:

On the subject of whether women play male characters as often as men play women... It depends.

For games where the gender of your player-character matters, it depends on what it effects. Like, in a Harvest Moon game, where it effects which characters you'll be romancing, I'll usually go with the girl, unless I dislike the designs on the bachelors (Here's looking at you, Another Wonderful Life and DS Cute)... But otherwise, it just depends on what I want, not some deep loyalty to my gender.
For games where it does not, then it depends on what design I like better. The one exception to this seems to be Pokémon, where I'll usually pick the girl.

On the other hand, for games where real RP is on the table, I find all of my female friends and I are about as likely to make a male character as a female. (and, in one case, dramatically more likely to make a male character than a female.) It doesn't really feel significant that we're playing across gender lines, we're just playing the character we feel would be the most fun to play at that juncture.

Here's a study on the demographics behind MMOs. Unfortunately, the graphs are broken but it does list its data points for gender, age, and marital status. However, this is a pre-WoW study so much of its findings have drastically changed over the years. Nonetheless, there have been research on the gender dynamics of MMORPGs/MUDs as far back as 1993.

There was another, more resent report on Gamasutra's Game Developer Magazine (that is limited to magazine buyers) about how players choose their avatars. It had come to the conclusion that when given the choice, male players preferred male avatars over female avatars but not by a large margin. However, female players would heavily prefer a female avatar over that of a male avatar when given the choice. Reasons for this actually depended on the game rather than a one size fits all answer. Star Wars Galaxy players had different reasons than WoW players. The type of server (PvE, PvP, role-playing) was also a factor.

This report also used World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade as a case study. In vanilla WoW, women had disproportionately favored the Alliance faction over the Horde. Many of them thought the Horde races, equipment, and areas were too ugly in comparison to that of the Alliance. Blizzard responded by making Blood Elves a new Horde race which resulted in a huge demographic realignment for the female population towards the Horde. What's notable is that they also gave the new Alliance race, the Draenai, a lore unfriendly makeover so the race and their area were not considered ugly. In this interview, you can hear Jeff Kaplan talk about some of this changes before Burning Crusade's release. Furthermore, Warhammer: Age of Reckoning was used as a counter example where the developer doubled down on the lore due to using a licensed IP from GamesWorkShop.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I guess it'd be one thing if I was still doing it, but this is about the same level as saying "I made lovely flash animations on newgrounds as a kid", isn't it? It's like ten years ago, I figured I could kinda put it behind me now.

Hey I hear you. Who got onto these forums because they've been having such a well-adjusted life up until then?

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
What have you done to me!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Vifs posted:

We have made you beautiful. Thou shalt be the vessel through which we bring Shoezo, god of fashion, blessed be her accessories, into this this world to deliver us unto her walk-in closet and cleanse this world of the blight of the unfashionable.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
I'm a guy and when it comes to picking a gender in a game it depends on what kind of game it is. If there are pre-made characters to choose from, like in side-scrolling action games or platformers, it's just a choice between which gameplay style I like the most. If you can choose a gender and it's purely cosmetic, like Dark Souls, I usually start as a woman and then alternate if I play it more than once. Like some other people here enough games have a guy as the only option so it's nice to have a change of pace. If the game has a gender option and it has some kind of potential gameplay impact, like New Vegas, then it all comes down to what I think the best character gimmick will be.

Also,

huh

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Right now, I'm cutting open a girls scalp and drilling holes in her skull. This is not the dressup game I was promised.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Mordaedil, it's fine that you used to be into ERP but got better. Don't jump down their throat, guys! THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP. I follow the A/T "ask me about growing up with a girl who thought she was married to anime guys" thread. I used to really be into Anne Rice. We've all been there, man. We've all been there. That's why we're here in this thread.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

As a male, I usually come up with a concept for the type of character I want to play, and I'll end up with a picture in my head of whether the character is male or female. For example, I recently started playing a fighter in my mom's D&D game. I wanted to play a damage dealer with a 2 handed sword, and for whatever reason, I pictured the character as female. In Dragon Age, I played a female City Elf because that side of the story sounded more interesting to me. In Soul Calibur 3, one of my first created characters came from the concept of how amusing it would be to watch a pipe-armed lady swinging around Nightmare's sword. In Dark Souls or a Bethesda game, I just go "ehhh, I think this one will be male/female."

Also, in games where you can have inter-character romance, I (somewhat) more frequently play a male character because a) I'm attracted to women, so I can relate better, and b) there are frequently more, better designed female love interests than male (not that that's fair). Baldur's Gate 2, for instance; the only male love interest is a self-righteous, annoying jerk, while the 3 female interests are more varied (hell, I've had a good character romance Viconia because you can turn her away from evil).

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I think the most mind-boggling thing I've discovered about these GIRL GAMES FOR GIRLS is how widely certain games get posted over multiple websites. Maybe I just wandered into the wrong part of town, but I keep seeing the same few game series spread all over at least four sites.

I don't know if these sites are officially affiliated with each other or are just grabbing whatever they want -- I'm pretty sure I saw one site just offer up some games for anyone to put on their own site -- but I've settled on holding all of them responsible for promoting game concepts like "remove the rotting teeth of Dora the Explorer while she cries" or "clean out the snot and germs in a Minion's nose".

Okay, I definitely wandered into the wrong part of town. I swear, all I did was follow an innocent dress-up game to its site of origin, and I found myself in dentistry hell. But two of the sites they were on claimed to exclusively feature girl games, so I'm going to assume that's the intended audience, even if they aren't the usual dress-up games (which are still featured heavily on the sites, but aside from two didn't stick out to me).

I also found couple of truly wonderful games that portray making out while speeding down a populated road and throwing angry beehives on women as acceptable ways for men to get the girl. :allears:

I'll try to compile an actual submission of what I found tonight or tomorrow, but for now I'm wondering if rampant crossposting usually happens with sites that boast a lot of flash games, or if I just hit a particular circle of related sites.

I'm really enjoying all these looks at different Girl Games, even though stuff like the Selena Gomez makeover and Dream Date Dress Up just kind of bum me out. :sigh:

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 24, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

MiracleFlare posted:

I don't know if these sites are officially affiliated with each other or are just grabbing whatever they want -- I'm pretty sure I saw one site just offer up some games for anyone to put on their own site -- but I've settled on holding all of them responsible for promoting game concepts like "remove the rotting teeth of Dora the Explorer while she cries" or "clean out the snot and germs in a Minion's nose".

MASTER?!!!

WHY MEEEEEEEEEE!

In other news, I also have sordid tales of ERP when I was younger and in a weird place. Thankfully MLP hadn't been invented yet, so I was safe from crossover hell. But this isn't Girl Games and ERP A/T, so I'll leave it suspensefully there. And look into making a content post later.
Which may also include the Motorcycle makeout game.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I was going to recommend Pogo.com for its games aimed at young girls. However, they really cleaned up their website and re-targeted to really young children and middle-aged adults with gambling problems.

azren posted:

As a male, I usually come up with a concept for the type of character I want to play, and I'll end up with a picture in my head of whether the character is male or female. For example, I recently started playing a fighter in my mom's D&D game. I wanted to play a damage dealer with a 2 handed sword, and for whatever reason, I pictured the character as female. In Dragon Age, I played a female City Elf because that side of the story sounded more interesting to me. In Soul Calibur 3, one of my first created characters came from the concept of how amusing it would be to watch a pipe-armed lady swinging around Nightmare's sword. In Dark Souls or a Bethesda game, I just go "ehhh, I think this one will be male/female."

Also, in games where you can have inter-character romance, I (somewhat) more frequently play a male character because a) I'm attracted to women, so I can relate better, and b) there are frequently more, better designed female love interests than male (not that that's fair). Baldur's Gate 2, for instance; the only male love interest is a self-righteous, annoying jerk, while the 3 female interests are more varied (hell, I've had a good character romance Viconia because you can turn her away from evil).

Valygar was supposed to be an alternative romance to Anonem. However, this was cut because his questline was becoming way too unwieldy. Valygar was located off the beaten path and his personal quest was already the longest and most complicated among the recruitable NPCs. David Gaider wanted to add a romance for the Throne of Bhaal expansion but that ended up being dropped due to time constraints. This was back in the Black Isle forums before everything was shut down. I think you can still find some unusable triggers for him in the game code.

I heard Cernd was supposed to be a romanceable NPC for female PCs as well but I haven't found anything to substantiate that claim.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This thread is absolutely magical. :allears: It's one of the few LPs that literally made me laugh out loud.

I used to always end up babysitting a bunch of kids on family reunions and similar "bunch of parents show up with their kids" occasions, and, more often than not, their parents would ask me to find them a computer game to play*. My experience about the "boy game"/"girl game" divide? Complete and utter bullshit. I've seen a 7 year old boy furiously demand that he should be the one to play some Totally Spies flash game after a girl's mother insisted that I find a 'girl game' for her daughter to play. When I set up a game of Dark Crusade for a pair of 12-year old boys who liked RTS games, a little girl whom I intended to give whatever toys I could find showed up to watch, and started jumping up and down and protesting whenever they'd try to pick a faction that wasn't the Necrons. Which would be these guys:

Another girl really loved playing a bridge builder game. She even managed to solve several levels, even though I was absolutely certain that she was too young to figure it out. (Another kid was playing it, and she wanted to try.)

Also, a funny thing I noticed while watching kids play Spore: A few of the kids liked the regular gameplay, but all of them loved the creature, vehicle, and building creators. They'd spend sooo much time making weird creatures, giving them funny outfits, making them bizarre houses, coloring them like a Henri Matisse painting in a disco, and laughing all along. And those segments of the game, particularly the creature creator, are basically a doll game in disguise.

Hell, now that I think about it, when I played Fable, San Andreas, and The Sims, I spent waaay too much time thinking about how the characters should look in any given situation and trying out outfits and haircuts and tattoos and poo poo until I found something that fit.

Slightly less related, the older the kids are, the more likely they are to play with toys they're 'expected' to be playing with. The youngest kids usually played with whatever I could find, as long as they didn't think I (or whoever's place we were at) had some secret toy stash I wasn't letting them play with. (Or if they really, really wanted to eat a chair. I wish I were joking. :sigh:)

*More tricky than it sounds since 7 kids are going to have 15 different ideas about which game should be played, and they all want to be the one playing.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

MiracleFlare posted:

I don't know if these sites are officially affiliated with each other or are just grabbing whatever they want -- I'm pretty sure I saw one site just offer up some games for anyone to put on their own site

It's both. There is a network of sites that are owned by the same people and cross-linking from one site to the other in order to boost their search engine rank, and they also offer up their games to other people to try and lure more visitors into that network.

Of course by this point there may be multiple networks run by separate individuals, each containing a set of sites...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sunning posted:

I was going to recommend Pogo.com for its games aimed at young girls. However, they really cleaned up their website and re-targeted to really young children and middle-aged adults with gambling problems.

Oh yeah, when I was talking earlier about my parents and their constant fluff games online, it's either hidden object stuff from who knows where, or club pogo. Like, most of the time they're home and up, one of them is on there. Fluff flash is exactly what that site is, with tons of matching, and mahjongg and board game type stuff.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Speaking of dudes who always play as lady characters, one of my dearest friends growing up was the type of guy who always played as female characters. He is a straight male, but he definitely wasn't sexualizing them, that was just his preference. In Mario Party, he'd play as Peach and I'd be Luigi or Daisy, in Smash Bros, he'd play as Zelda and I'd play as Link. He was always Serena in Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic. I think ultimately he just identified with those characters the most, and they just happened to be female! The characters he picked tended to be the ones that were magical/spiritual do-gooders or "healers," and usually those characters are female. However, obviously, people of all genders can be of the personality to identify with characters like that. Once again, we run into a problem that can be solved with more equal gender representation in games!

Y'know, conversely, this reminiscing has reminded me of how as a girl I was averse to playing female characters in many games because they were so obviously sexualized it made me uncomfortable. For example, in the above-mentioned Age of Wonders I'd play as Nekron or "some guy in a hood" (the custom character portrait) and name him Bob, and that was because the female portraits I either didn't identify with enough or was grossed out by how their boobs and butts were so visible all the time. Girl Games are mostly sexualized, so I can see how I didn't want to play those either. So go figure that one out.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

A Bystander posted:

Erotic Role-Playing, if I had to hazard a guess.

"I put on my robe and wizard hat..."

Vifs posted:

Why can't I help thinking that your new avatar is actually your character from the Tony Hawk Underground LPs in later years?

Really enjoying this thread, though I place the blame fully on Panzer for my new High School Story addiction.

Kloro fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 25, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Vifs posted:

I feel like I need a special section of the OP for this. Some sort of memorial to those who have lost their avatars to GIRL GAMES?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

I feel like I need a special section of the OP for this. Some sort of memorial to those who have lost their avatars to GIRL GAMES?
Do you feel like there will be a lot of them?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Oh man, this thread is awesome! Thanks to everyone who is sacrificing their sanity to trawl this horribly fascinating game library :allears:

I definitely relate to the person who earlier said they play as female protagonists because there are so few of them as the "default" options in games. I'll almost always pick to play as a girl when given the choice, though when I do play as guys I usually make them old muscley manly man rogue types so I end up going in completely the opposite direction. :shobon:

I don't know if I've just become desensitized to it, but the ridiculousness of a characters sexy costume doesn't normally bother me, within reason. In Soul Calibur I usually picked Tira, with her medieval lingerie outfit and underboob, but I could never bring myself to play Ivy, for example. The thing that always gets me though is when a game tries to justify having a stupid outfit on a girl by using crap like "it's comfortable" or "not restrictive". Like dude I'm pretty sure most girls wear loose pants or at least shorts when they need to be active and comfortable, not a tiny tight miniskirt where you need to worry about not flashing your panties every 5 seconds. Might be just me but I feel like you usually see this happening when a female character is supposed to be TOTALLY STRONG AND AWESOME so needs justification for why she fights in a thong bikini.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Octolady posted:

I don't know if I've just become desensitized to it, but the ridiculousness of a characters sexy costume doesn't normally bother me, within reason. In Soul Calibur I usually picked Tira, with her medieval lingerie outfit and underboob, but I could never bring myself to play Ivy, for example. The thing that always gets me though is when a game tries to justify having a stupid outfit on a girl by using crap like "it's comfortable" or "not restrictive". Like dude I'm pretty sure most girls wear loose pants or at least shorts when they need to be active and comfortable, not a tiny tight miniskirt where you need to worry about not flashing your panties every 5 seconds. Might be just me but I feel like you usually see this happening when a female character is supposed to be TOTALLY STRONG AND AWESOME so needs justification for why she fights in a thong bikini.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! It's kinda funny, when you see that they want to mollify some of the complaints about the character's outfits but didn't go far enough to make an excuse that makes sense.

Really, what gets about the "sexy" outfits they stuff women in games is that no one would dress like that, even when trying to be sexy. Not just the comfort or practicality angle (people have been dressing uncomfortably in the name of fashion since fashion existed) but it's... ugly. At least to a heterosexual female's eyes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Boobplate or not, I rather like Hildegard's armor. Her princess dress is also pretty good.

But yeah, my standards might be low because of Ivy and the rest.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh, you mean that a thong bikini and a spiked shoulderpad aren't proper attire for a girl fighting in a post-apocalyptic world?

You mean all these games and fantasy films lied to me?? :monocle:

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Nihilarian posted:

Do you feel like there will be a lot of them?

There better be.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nihilarian posted:

Boobplate or not, I rather like Hildegard's armor. Her princess dress is also pretty good.

But yeah, my standards might be low because of Ivy and the rest.

Hilde in Soul Calibure, from what I remember, is properly dressed. Which is novel in and of itself.

Especially Ivy does set the bar super-low, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I wonder what everyone makes of the gender-divided outfits in New Vegas. While there's plenty of gender-neutral armors and clothing, like the vault suits and leather armor, but then you get into stuff like Vera's Dress being woman-exclusive with the man getting a gender-swapped fitted suit, or some of the formal outfits being gender-swapped depending on your character's gender.

You also have the raider armors, where the guys are shirtless and the women have steel boob-plates. I mean, there it's an obvious take-off on what you'd see in Mad Max, and it's deliberately evocative of early-80's post-apocalyptic movies. You could even argue that the men and women look equally ridiculous, and taken side-by-side the armors are mostly identical for both sexes:

Same buckles and pads, and 90% of the outfits look identical. The only change is the male chest straps are replaced with boob armor in steel or chainmail. It's made to resemble (or in some cases looks to be made out of) fetish gear... also, I'd argue that it's meant to be more intimidating than sexualized.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My take is that it's sort of unavoidable. Gotta cover them boobs otherwise you get an AO rating. If you want to have equal amount of bare chesting you kind of need to go with the saucepan bra for ladies, because you're required by the ratings board to have something there, which leaves you with a limited amount of space for other torso coverage.

I find myself wondering why the lady on the bottom right has a giant codpiece though. With the amount of leather in those outfits and living in the mojave desert, having a big hollow cavity in your pants is just going to result in comical fart noises when you walk.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 25, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I just came up with a game concept that makes me wish I knew how to program:

Our heroine (we'll call her Becky, I guess) is an average girl going through high school. Her parents are pretty wealthy, so she lives in a mansion. One day, some criminals break into the house looking to rob the family blind. Mom and Dad manage to hide Becky in the attic's hidden saferoom, but they are captured by the crooks shortly afterwards. Now, with her parents held hostage, Becky must save the day.

Her first step is to make it to her room, where you get to choose her outfit. The clothing you select has different effects on gameplay; if you choose to wear high heels, you move more slowly and make more noise, but might be able to use them for other purposes (I dunno, I haven't developed the idea very far yet). Loose clothing gives better freedom of movement, but can get caught or grabbed more easily. You can use the makeup in Becky's room to improvise defensive measures, most notably hairspray.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Make the concept of 'stiletto heels' a bit more literal.

xSangiune8
Jul 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Make the concept of 'stiletto heels' a bit more literal.

or maybe give her a bonus to charisma/negotiation (if you've got it, flaunt it).

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
One could do something like the Metal Gear Solid 3 camo mechanic, perhaps. You have a set of both outfits and makeup application types and each provides a different bonus in different situations. You might get more of them or some with special mechanics during the game, like influencing people or affecting mobility or giving special interactions.

(This would work very well if one was playing a social type spy or someone trying to blend in in a place they don't belong.)

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

King Vidiot posted:

Same buckles and pads, and 90% of the outfits look identical. The only change is the male chest straps are replaced with boob armor in steel or chainmail. It's made to resemble (or in some cases looks to be made out of) fetish gear... also, I'd argue that it's meant to be more intimidating than sexualized.

This lady isn't wearing chainmail, she has two colanders on.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

My take is that it's sort of unavoidable. Gotta cover them boobs otherwise you get an AO rating.

Yeesh, can you imagine the furore if they didn't? That hoopla around the time of Oblivion's release when it was found that the female character models actually had nipples (for some reason) was bad enough.

It was like "Holy crap if you intentionally alter the game to remove female characters' otherwise painted-on underwear, you find that women have nipples you guys! SOUND THE MORAL PANIC ALARM!"

(Incidentally I imagine the moral panic alarm sounding something like this.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

azren posted:

I just came up with a game concept that makes me wish I knew how to program:

Our heroine (we'll call her Becky, I guess) is an average girl going through high school. Her parents are pretty wealthy, so she lives in a mansion. One day, some criminals break into the house looking to rob the family blind. Mom and Dad manage to hide Becky in the attic's hidden saferoom, but they are captured by the crooks shortly afterwards. Now, with her parents held hostage, Becky must save the day.

Her first step is to make it to her room, where you get to choose her outfit. The clothing you select has different effects on gameplay; if you choose to wear high heels, you move more slowly and make more noise, but might be able to use them for other purposes (I dunno, I haven't developed the idea very far yet). Loose clothing gives better freedom of movement, but can get caught or grabbed more easily. You can use the makeup in Becky's room to improvise defensive measures, most notably hairspray.

The boss fight is just a recreation of when Patricia Arquette kills James Gandolfini in True Romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

I wonder what everyone makes of the gender-divided outfits in New Vegas. While there's plenty of gender-neutral armors and clothing, like the vault suits and leather armor, but then you get into stuff like Vera's Dress being woman-exclusive with the man getting a gender-swapped fitted suit, or some of the formal outfits being gender-swapped depending on your character's gender.

You also have the raider armors, where the guys are shirtless and the women have steel boob-plates. I mean, there it's an obvious take-off on what you'd see in Mad Max, and it's deliberately evocative of early-80's post-apocalyptic movies. You could even argue that the men and women look equally ridiculous, and taken side-by-side the armors are mostly identical for both sexes:

Those armors are from Fallout 3, not really New Vegas' fault there.

• Locked thread