Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

Thanks! I'm just trying to figure out how major companies like IGN capture video. They must have some expensive video capture hardware, yeah?
HDMI capture box is the only other obvious way I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
How much better is the iPad Air over the non-air version? Beyond the processor, and the smaller form factor, are there any other major differences between them?

I'm trying to make a decision on my first tablet purchase. I know the mini is a favorite but I definitely want to go with the bigger screen for Netflix, etc.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Unless you buy used or find some old stock, the non-Air full-size iPad that's currently for sale is the iPad2. Don't buy an iPad2. Significantly slower and a much lower resolution screen. It will be obsolete much sooner because it's already several generations old.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Snackpack Backpack posted:

How much better is the iPad Air over the non-air version? Beyond the processor, and the smaller form factor, are there any other major differences between them?

I'm trying to make a decision on my first tablet purchase. I know the mini is a favorite but I definitely want to go with the bigger screen for Netflix, etc.

Depends which non-air version. You've got the Retina mini, non-retina mini, and iPad 2 that are also sold in Apple Stores. Then there's the used market with iPad 3/4s.

If it's just between the Air and the Retina mini, aside from the smallest of spec differences, it's all about size and weight (but even here, size is the biggest difference. The weight difference is non-zero but much less an issue than size).

If you like a bigger screen, go full Air and don't look back. If you've got concerns about the Air being too big for lugging around all the time or you just like the form factor of the mini, go mini and don't look back.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The ipad Air is better than all the previous ipads put together, basically. As mentioned the only choice is between a mini and an Air, with me personally preferring the Air because I only use it at home for media consumption, like the capitalist whore I am.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I was already leaning towards the Air to be a little more future-proof. If the iPad2 is garbage that makes it an easy decision.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Snackpack Backpack posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I was already leaning towards the Air to be a little more future-proof. If the iPad2 is garbage that makes it an easy decision.

Yeah, the thing to keep in mind is that the decision is not "latest specs vs. last model", it's "latest specs vs. three models ago specs" with no non-used option for anything in between.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Trading in my air for a retina mini. I've been using the kindle app a lot and the air is just too big. It was my first ipad but I want better hand control of it. I have large hands so I can type with it in landscape and 2 thumbs pretty easily but I just want smaller. Just curious if anyone else went this way and if they regretted anything about it. I mostly use it for browsing and reading. Some light video watching but not really.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Mainly for browsing and reading? You will not regret your decision, that's what the mini is very good for.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I don't like magazines on the ipad mini.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Going from the air to mini, makes the mini feel really really cramped.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, the thing to keep in mind is that the decision is not "latest specs vs. last model", it's "latest specs vs. three models ago specs" with no non-used option for anything in between.

There are refurbs to be had that do carry a full warranty. The main differences between a $529 64GB 4 and a $699 64GB Air are the processor speed, weight, and form factor. I might still choose the Air or a retina Mini though and as was mentioned, do not buy an iPad2 and also don't buy a refurb iPad 3.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

unlawfulsoup posted:

Going from the air to mini, makes the mini feel really really cramped.

Funny enough, for how much bigger the Air is, going from the Mini to the Air is not jarring in terms of the weight increase.

iPad Air is the King of the iPads.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

I have this case and I like it a lot.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
Any recommendations for a cheap knock off of the smart cover for the mini retina? I've seen plenty of smart case recommendations but not many for just a magnetic screen cover.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

A PC Game posted:

Any recommendations for a cheap knock off of the smart cover for the mini retina? I've seen plenty of smart case recommendations but not many for just a magnetic screen cover.

I've tried a few of the knock off eBay smart covers. They've all been terrible.

They only ever have magnets in the outer-most panel so they don't hold in the triangle stand position very well and don't lay flat against the screen when closed. Since they don't stay planted when closed, they're more prone to letting your screen turn on and off when thrown in a backpack. The material is also thicker and lower quality than Apples. The thickness makes the triangle stand problem worse.

They've all used a more cloth-like inner lining in a light gray that stains and looks like garbage with a few weeks of use. One eventually started to fray.

For all I know, all three have come out of the same factory, but it's really hard to tell because they just come in plain plastic bags. My wife's happy enough with the $10 one on her Mini, but the real Smart Cover definitely feels like a premium product in comparison.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Comics and pdfs, too, or photo editing are really cramped on the Mini. I'm glad I switched to an Air.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Cross posting this from the iOS apps thread:

SpookyLizard posted:

IS there an app or a place in settings where I can configure how to control pushes and notifications across multiple devices? Ideally with some sort of geo-fencing stuff, so when I'm not home, stuff gets sent to my phone, but when I am it priorities sending stuff to my iPad instead?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
No, there isn't.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I read comics with my rMini and I don't have any problems (although if the comics aren't of digital 2048px quality then it's kind of not as good). Love the form factor.

Don't really read a lot of magazines but I use pseudo magazine news aggregator apps like Flipboard and Zite and those work fine for me on the rMini as well.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

terriyaki posted:

I read comics with my rMini and I don't have any problems (although if the comics aren't of digital 2048px quality then it's kind of not as good). Love the form factor.

Don't really read a lot of magazines but I use pseudo magazine news aggregator apps like Flipboard and Zite and those work fine for me on the rMini as well.

I agree. I have Marvel Unlimited on my retina mini and it's pretty awesome. Then again, I'm coming from an Android tablet, where the MU support isn't nearly as good (and the android app kind of sucks). I also find that it's the perfect form factor for carrying my medical books with me at all times and it even fits into the pocket of my doctor's coat.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I have a 4th gen iPad retina and recently bought a retina mini. It's the white one with the dark blue apple magnetic cover (looks fantastic). I'll tell you, I don't think I'll ever go back. The mini is so fantastic to use for the web, e-reading, mail, and some light PDF/word work. It's also the perfect size for most iOS games. I can't believe how comfortable it is to carry. I travel on planes a lot and it's a dream to use in a cramped seat, fits in the smallest pocket on my carryon luggage, and is easy to juggle around in one hand or a few fingers when fumbling around with other stuff. Also, I get this feeling at least once a day that I stole it from a Star Trek TNG episode.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm working on several documents with someone abroad, unfortunately their laptop has been damaged and they only have an iPad air to work with. Is there any way of saving a document from Pages to either the Dropbox or Skydrive apps to make it easier to share documents between us?

She has tried to use the online version of Word but she says it freezes and is more awkward then the Papers app.

Emailing back and forward is going to get old and confusing really fast.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Pages does this automatically via iCloud. You can even edit the Pages doc in a browser at iCloud.com and changes will be synced with the iPad. It does some minor versioning control if you edit at the same time. You might have to trust each other enough share an AppleID password though.

Pages can save to Dropbox by hitting the "square with an arrow on top" from the Pages document chooser and selecting "open in" the Dropbox app. It has options to export in Pages, Office format or PDF. The Office export kind of sucks.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Apologies if this has been asked/answered in this or other threads, but I did a quick search and wasn't able to find anything. I dropped my iPad 3 about 2 months ago, shattering the digitizer. We took it to a place in Chicago that repairs them for fairly cheap (~$80) and went that route. It never totally felt like it fit correctly and last night the digitizer just buckled right under my thumb while I was using it.

I'm going to try and self-repair, as it seems like all the repair places do is buy the eBay kits and install them for you. Is there a difference between any of the different eBay kits and one that I should buy over the others? Also, is there a "best" guide out there that is recommended?

In the spirit of honesty, I totally used it an excuse to go to the Apple Store today and buy a 32meg Air, but I'd like to still try to fix the 3 and hand it down to my sister.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Pages can save to Dropbox by hitting the "square with an arrow on top" from the Pages document chooser and selecting "open in" the Dropbox app. It has options to export in Pages, Office format or PDF. The Office export kind of sucks.

Thanks, this might be perfect, I didn't know apps could share documents with each other like that. So if I edit and save in a dropbox folder and then she opens that document in Pages will it then save as the same document in dropbox or will it create a new one each time?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sri.Theo posted:

Thanks, this might be perfect, I didn't know apps could share documents with each other like that. So if I edit and save in a dropbox folder and then she opens that document in Pages will it then save as the same document in dropbox or will it create a new one each time?

-Make "Report" in Pages on the iPad.
-Use Pages "Open in another app" function to send to Dropbox.app as a Pages-format file.
-Edit as needed wherever via Dropbox.
-Open Dropbox.app on the iPad. Choose the file, then select "open in another app" to send it back to Pages.
-The file will show up in Pages as "Report 2" next to the first version.
-Repeat

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
An easier way would be for her to share the iCloud document with you, you edit it using the iCloud web app and she edits it using pages on her iPad. I'm pretty sure Pages has the ability to generate a link that will share the document with anyone she sends the link to.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Can I just use the sim from my phone on an ipad air or what?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Call of Cholula posted:

Apologies if this has been asked/answered in this or other threads, but I did a quick search and wasn't able to find anything. I dropped my iPad 3 about 2 months ago, shattering the digitizer. We took it to a place in Chicago that repairs them for fairly cheap (~$80) and went that route. It never totally felt like it fit correctly and last night the digitizer just buckled right under my thumb while I was using it.

I'm going to try and self-repair, as it seems like all the repair places do is buy the eBay kits and install them for you. Is there a difference between any of the different eBay kits and one that I should buy over the others? Also, is there a "best" guide out there that is recommended?

In the spirit of honesty, I totally used it an excuse to go to the Apple Store today and buy a 32meg Air, but I'd like to still try to fix the 3 and hand it down to my sister.

I know it's not an answer to your question but the best thing in this case is to pay the $300 for an official refurb. It comes with a 90 day warranty against poo poo like this. You already pissed away ~$80, why piss away more?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Revener posted:

Nope - an iPad needs its own separate data plan if you're not going to tether to a smartphone.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Nihiliste posted:

Nope - an iPad needs its own separate data plan if you're not going to tether to a smartphone.

Going the other direction works - at least it did for me last time I tried it.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

No. 6 posted:

I know it's not an answer to your question but the best thing in this case is to pay the $300 for an official refurb. It comes with a 90 day warranty against poo poo like this. You already pissed away ~$80, why piss away more?

That's cool, and I might not have made it totally clear, but I did go get an Air yesterday. I'd just like to try fixing this myself so I can give it to my sister (who is still in college and can't afford nice things).

Totally hear you on the pissing away money thing, I guess worst case this time would be I'm out 20 bucks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Revener posted:

Yes, but you won't have phone service while doing it.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is there a way to fool websites into thinking I'm using a regular desktop computer? Specifically, I'm trying to watch full episodes of The Daily Show on their website, but it tells me they're not available on tablets.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Kevyn posted:

Is there a way to fool websites into thinking I'm using a regular desktop computer? Specifically, I'm trying to watch full episodes of The Daily Show on their website, but it tells me they're not available on tablets.
Yes, some browsers do that, but that won't let you watch TDS on the iPad. That has to do with the flash not being supported by iOS.

Edit: I'm sure TDS could encode it into a format that is supported by iOS (like youtube does), but then nobody would buy episodes through iTunes.

Photon will set up a remote computer that will play TDS and stream raw video to your iPad, but it's choppy and not worth it.

Cranbe fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 24, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Puffin works OK for Hulu and other flash streaming sites. They use remote servers to fake the user agent and translate the flash.

Frame rate isn't perfect, but watchable.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Kevyn posted:

Yes. I use the icab browser as it allows you to configure it to be seen as the OSX version of Safari or a bunch of other desktop web browsers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have to go to Panama next month. I'm planning on getting a prepaid SIM card for data to use in my unlocked AT&T iPhone 4S. Will that same card work in my AT&T iPad2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
Just got my iPad Mini with retina and I already love it. Feels comfortable and looks great. Works like a charm. Hard to go back to phone browsing now.