Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Squire is a monster player but yeah the music/style/anything of Yes is all easily mockable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Wakeman is funnier IMO

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

Is he wearing a cape?

for sure, for sure

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

Is he wearing a cape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaXZOuxONY

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Hey, White Dog.

I've got a friend that's looking around for a strat rosewood and maple neck with a vintage maple tint (aka, more yellow), much like the Mark Knopfler signature guitar. He wants medium-jumbo frets and I was wondering if you know a place that might have them and of good repute in Canada or the States.

He already has that neck but with jumbo frets and he would need to get it refretted to a smaller size and is afraid it would be badly done or isn't properly feasible. What do you think? Bring it to a luthier? make a new one? website that specializes in discarded strat necks?

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 24, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Odddzy posted:

Hey, White Dog.

I've got a friend that's looking around for a strat rosewood and maple neck with a vintage maple tint (aka, more yellow), much like the Mark Knopfler signature guitar. He wants medium-jumbo frets and I was wondering if you know a place that might have them and of good repute in Canada or the States.

He already has that neck but with jumbo frets and he would need to get it refretted to a smaller size and is afraid it would be badly done or isn't properly feasible. What do you think? Bring it to a luthier? make a new one? website that specializes in discarded strat necks?

Stewart MacDonald (http://www.stewmac.com/)is probably the best, although it isn't particularly cheap. Guitar Fetish do necks and don't appear to be too unreasonably priced (http://www.guitarfetish.com/). Honestly I'd take it to a luthier or decent tech. Refretting isn't particularly fun to do, but it's not hard. Might be expensive though (I probably couldn't charge less than £60 as it takes a while), I'd take it to a luthier/tech and see what they say at least.

There is also a comedy option, which is to buy 10 necks off alibaba.com, keep one and flip the rest on ebay for profit. Not the sanest idea though.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Stewart MacDonald (http://www.stewmac.com/)is probably the best, although it isn't particularly cheap. Guitar Fetish do necks and don't appear to be too unreasonably priced (http://www.guitarfetish.com/). Honestly I'd take it to a luthier or decent tech. Refretting isn't particularly fun to do, but it's not hard. Might be expensive though (I probably couldn't charge less than £60 as it takes a while), I'd take it to a luthier/tech and see what they say at least.

There is also a comedy option, which is to buy 10 necks off alibaba.com, keep one and flip the rest on ebay for profit. Not the sanest idea though.

Thanks man! i've sent him the info.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

With black knobs:

Replaced the stock cream pick guard, knobs and pickup covers with the black, I'm strongly considering putting black pickup covers on too.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the sperglord in me says the pickup covers should match the knobs

O Rapture
Feb 28, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

Is he wearing a cape?

Oh, hey, so are they:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqzoRQv2UIU

Guess it really pissed Letterman off.

For content, I haven't seen any mention of Buke & Gase.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

the sperglord in me says the pickup covers should match the knobs
I was kind of thinking the same thing.

I DO have a couple of fluorescent green covers kicking around somewhere tho'.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Odddzy posted:

Hey, White Dog.

if your friend cares about quality warmoth/allparts (which are made in fender's japanese factory)/usacg are his best bets. stewmac's necks are rebranded mighty mites, which aren't that good for what they charge. honestly stewart macdonald is overpriced in general

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

iostream.h posted:

I DO have a couple of fluorescent green covers kicking around somewhere tho'.

Can you use those on a guitar that doesn't have a monkey grip?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Has anyone posted that lovely legend of zelda guitar yet

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

CannedMacabre posted:

Can you use those on a guitar that doesn't have a monkey grip?

Tooooneeee

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Yeah, don't do it.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

iostream.h posted:

Tooooneeee

Does that bridge pickup only make noise when I'm wearing frilly undergarments?

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
this isn't a photoshop, nor something built for an ugly guitar thread in a comedy forum.
This is a production model Gretsch that exists

rockabilly buskers must be a bigger demographic than I'd have imagined

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's like they put Forrest Gump's leg braces on an acoustic marinated in spaghetti sauce.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Fair Hallion posted:

this isn't a photoshop, nor something built for an ugly guitar thread in a comedy forum.

whammy bar works by bending the actual top of the guitar, not the strings

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fair Hallion posted:

ahahahahahahaha

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
is it possible to be a blues dad if you've never had sex?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Fair Hallion posted:

Howe Gelb sometimes plays a Gretsch Rancher with a DeArmond pickup and it sounds great - but that Biggsby is off the chain stupid.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

Does that bridge pickup only make noise when I'm wearing frilly undergarments?

I'm always wearing frilly panties so I'm not sure.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

iostream.h posted:

I'm always wearing frilly panties so I'm not sure.

Indeed my LACE SENSOR is off the charts.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQB67GkAp4s

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
kind of amazing how he manages to play so many notes without even once accidentally hitting on a decent melody

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

wow that is garbage

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

I'm Crap posted:

kind of amazing how he manages to play so many notes without even once accidentally hitting on a decent melody

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it's nice to know others think tosin abasi sucks because he does

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
him and misha mansoor are garbage

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

most of the djent dudes are, and it's not that surprising given that they're more interested in the percussive noises of a guitar

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
that reminds me

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCjkUgClav8

Check the custom guitars from ESP. Some ugly poo poo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mclast posted:

that reminds me

Lmao are you reminded of wooten just because he's black?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lmao are you reminded of wooten just because he's black?

Honestly I assumed he made the "thousands of notes that add up to nothing listenable" connection.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Spanish Manlove posted:

FUN FACT: Misha Mansoor rushed the stage during a Fair to Midland set and stagedove me while I was distracted. Ended up straining my neck, and had to miss the next day at work.

Who stagedives during another band's set? That's just poor comportment.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mclast posted:

that reminds me

this old burnout i worked with about 10 years ago who followed the dead back in the 70s kept trying to get me to listen to vic wooten, claiming he had tremendous "harmonic sensitivity"

i was like dude you can't sell a musician like junk audiophile stereo cables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

smdh at people hatin on Albini

i assume his tone is only enhanced by wrapping the strap around his waist like a freak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qh6zUFvEE0

that and the blood
all the blood probably helps his tone too.

• Locked thread