Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

tractor fanatic posted:

Chrome is crashing like once or twice a day on my 2013 Nexus 7. It's not rooted, but I have switched to ART, and I'm using the Nexus 5 GEL. Is Chrome just this unstable or is it a consequence of using ART?
I'm also using ART on mine and Chrome has never crashed. I'm not using the GEL, but I don't think that would matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

Chrome is crashing like once or twice a day on my 2013 Nexus 7. It's not rooted, but I have switched to ART, and I'm using the Nexus 5 GEL. Is Chrome just this unstable or is it a consequence of using ART?
Google Apps crash constantly for me using ART. Chrome a couple of times a day, Hangouts hourly or more frequently. They recover fast, but I'm probably going back to Dalvik because of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What exactly does WiFi optimization do? Ever since KitKat if I have it on, I lose connection when the tablet sleeps for more than 15 minutes or so.

It claims to be connected to the router, but no network access. Grey icon.

It doesn't do this with optimization off, but that costs me a lot of battery.

This is with a 2013 Nexus 7.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When it's working, what is the performance difference like with ART?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MikeJF posted:

When it's working, what is the performance difference like with ART?

When I had ART on my tablet, it was a LOT faster than normal. It had already run circles around the Nexus 4, but with ART on, it really showed how the 4 is showing its age.

It gave me better battery life and more on-screen time.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I actually switched back to ART from Dalvik on my N4 because the battery life went to poo poo. Wasn't worth the three apps I had that don't work on ART yet.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Both the 16GB and 32GB Nexus tablets are sold out on the Play store now. No idea if that means anything.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

fondue posted:

Both the 16GB and 32GB Nexus tablets are sold out on the Play store now. No idea if that means anything.
Nexus 10 rumors are coming back again thanks to the @evleaks fake. They'd dried up for a while and there were just a bunch of articles saying that it didn't come out on all of the dates they'd made up for it to come out. I wish someone would nuke the International Business Times.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I wish someone would nuke the International Business Times.

Hey, they're all well connected at that site. Every author there has an uncle who works for Nintendo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Hey, they're all well connected at that site. Every author there has an uncle who works for Nintendo.
What a hilarious joke! I wonder if anyone else has thought of that.

Now that I look back, they ended up being right :aaaaa:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I read back about 15 pages but didn't see an answer to this:

My N10 is borderline unusable on 4.4.2. Takes forever to power on, apps are slow to start, Chrome crashes constantly, even the keyboard is super laggy. So far I've turned off WiFi optimization, and cleared the system cache. That helped a little, but it's still very laggy and slow. What are my options?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argyle posted:

My N10 is borderline unusable on 4.4.2. [...] What are my options?
Factory resetting it is probably the only fix.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Argyle posted:

I read back about 15 pages but didn't see an answer to this:

My N10 is borderline unusable on 4.4.2. Takes forever to power on, apps are slow to start, Chrome crashes constantly, even the keyboard is super laggy. So far I've turned off WiFi optimization, and cleared the system cache. That helped a little, but it's still very laggy and slow. What are my options?

I'm having none of these issues at all, mine has been faster since 4.4.2.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My up to date 2017 Nexus 7 was fine and ran like a dream up until maybe 2 weeks ago, now it too is sluggish, takes ages to open most things. I can't see why, I've not installed anything new and it wasn't rooted at the time (it is now). It also had a lot of space left. I'll have to factory reset it and see what happens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alan_Shore posted:

My up to date 2017 Nexus 7 was fine and ran like a dream up until maybe 2 weeks ago, now it too is sluggish, takes ages to open most things. I can't see why, I've not installed anything new and it wasn't rooted at the time (it is now). It also had a lot of space left. I'll have to factory reset it and see what happens.

I think your time machine needs to be calibrated.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Ugh, if Google can't even get the 2017 model running well, then I'm switching to iPad.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Alan_Shore posted:

John Titor?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Gyshall posted:

John Titor?

:golfclap:

Didn't see that one coming.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh bollocks! You know I meant 2012 guys, stop yanking my crank.

CapitanAmerica
Jan 19, 2014

by Pipski
I just bought a Galaxy Tab 3 to resell and it makes some Chinese tablets look good by comparison.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Does anyone here own a Tylt Vu charger AND a 2013 Nexus 7 Poetic slimline case? I have the new Nexus wireless charger and it doesn't play well with the N7 when the case is on (magnets barely grip, making it hard to find the sweet spot). I'm just wondering if the Tylt Vu would work any better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

While I don't have that combination, my TYLT Vu has no issues charging my MAXX through a Diztronic case.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Gone back a few pages, I apologise if this has been addressed prior.

I have a 2012 Nexus 7. Feels like I've always had battery issues with it. Originally I could fix it by disabling location services. Later, I could get back to say a week or so of battery life by disabling wi-fi.

But the past couple of months it's just been total poo poo no matter what I do. Basically it gets 30 hours while sleeping. No wakelocks. If I leave it powered off, it holds a charge just fine.

It's hard to find any information. From Googling around, I've seen people claim it's a motherboard issue, that that's what Asus repair has told them (and when the tablet has come back, it would hold a charge again fine). I've also seen people say that replacing the battery hasn't helped in any meaningful way. I've seen mixed reviews in rolling back firmware.

Has anyone here heard of this? I suspect my only real option is to get a new one. Mine's obviously out of warranty, and I doubt repairing it is going to be much cheaper. I have recently factory reset it, with no difference.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I have a 2012 Nexus 7. Feels like I've always had battery issues with it. Originally I could fix it by disabling location services. Later, I could get back to say a week or so of battery life by disabling wi-fi.

But the past couple of months it's just been total poo poo no matter what I do. Basically it gets 30 hours while sleeping. No wakelocks. If I leave it powered off, it holds a charge just fine.

It's hard to find any information. From Googling around, I've seen people claim it's a motherboard issue, that that's what Asus repair has told them (and when the tablet has come back, it would hold a charge again fine). I've also seen people say that replacing the battery hasn't helped in any meaningful way. I've seen mixed reviews in rolling back firmware.

Has anyone here heard of this? I suspect my only real option is to get a new one. Mine's obviously out of warranty, and I doubt repairing it is going to be much cheaper. I have recently factory reset it, with no difference.

It just looks like battery life can be hit or miss on the Nexus 7 (specifically the 2013 one). Not sure how it can be 7+ hours of screen for some but barely 4 for others.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

It just looks like battery life can be hit or miss on the Nexus 7 (specifically the 2013 one). Not sure how it can be 7+ hours of screen for some but barely 4 for others.
I easily get over 10 hours on mine if it's just browsing/reading. I've never worried about battery life on it at all. It's set to ART, but I don't think that makes much of a difference.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I easily get over 10 hours on mine if it's just browsing/reading. I've never worried about battery life on it at all. It's set to ART, but I don't think that makes much of a difference.

Yeah, that's the thing. There are some users reporting really good battery life and some who can barely ever get over 4 hours. Starting to think the battery is bugged in some devices.

I'm on ART too but the most I get is 4 hours screen with 2 days of battery. That's almost on par with my Nexus 4 when it was new.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I haven't checked recently ... but I get plenty of screen time. The problem is that the battery drains fast while it's supposedly sleeping.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

I've had really lovely battery life on mine ever since the KitKat update, and it seems to take a lot longer to charge as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I haven't checked recently ... but I get plenty of screen time. The problem is that the battery drains fast while it's supposedly sleeping.

My sleep time is good, got 4 days once, but the screen on time is really, really bad. Never gets beyond 4 hours.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ThermoPhysical posted:

On my 2013 N7 Chrome is pretty much always at the top of my battery graph whereas even when I was mostly browsing on my N4 it wouldn't be nearly so high up (although I guess some of that might be down to viewing mainly mobile sites on the phone and mainly desktop sites on the tablet)

My life is somewhere in between the two extremes, currently sitting at 50% with 3.05 screen time from 1d5h off the charger and almost exclusively web browsing usage.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

On my 2013 N7 Chrome is pretty much always at the top of my battery graph whereas even when I was mostly browsing on my N4 it wouldn't be nearly so high up (although I guess some of that might be down to viewing mainly mobile sites on the phone and mainly desktop sites on the tablet)

My life is somewhere in between the two extremes, currently sitting at 50% with 3.05 screen time from 1d5h off the charger and almost exclusively web browsing usage.

I've recently deleted Chrome Beta and the weird things showing up in the battery graph about Chrome Beta Sandbox went away. Then the standby time got better.

But I'm trying out BBS so I'm charging up to 100% to test things out and see whatever I can.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've recently deleted Chrome Beta and the weird things showing up in the battery graph about Chrome Beta Sandbox went away. Then the standby time got better.

But I'm trying out BBS so I'm charging up to 100% to test things out and see whatever I can.

I've never had the beta version of Chrome on this tablet and I still have a tonne of those sandbox processes in the battery graph (currently 4 in addition to the main Chrome process). If I total them up it comes to 38% compares to 18% from the Screen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

I've never had the beta version of Chrome on this tablet and I still have a tonne of those sandbox processes in the battery graph (currently 4 in addition to the main Chrome process). If I total them up it comes to 38% compares to 18% from the Screen.

Maybe it's Chrome itself causing the issue...when do you charge it?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

My sleep time is good, got 4 days once, but the screen on time is really, really bad. Never gets beyond 4 hours.
It's been a while now, but I feel like I used to easily be able to get a week or more of sleep time.

If the 2013 model is weird about battery too, it makes me reluctant to upgrade to that. I'm actually looking at e-readers again as that's basically my main use for the N7. I'll just leave the tablet plugged in at home somewhere for reading magazines.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

It's been a while now, but I feel like I used to easily be able to get a week or more of sleep time.

If the 2013 model is weird about battery too, it makes me reluctant to upgrade to that. I'm actually looking at e-readers again as that's basically my main use for the N7. I'll just leave the tablet plugged in at home somewhere for reading magazines.

I'd say this is all on ASUS. They've had lovely QC before with the 2012 Nexus 7 and the screen lift issue. Not to mention the hilarious problem with the Transformer Prime when it launched. The next Nexus 7 coming this summer shouldn't be by them and might be a little better.

It seems some 2013 7s have great battery and some don't. I happen to fall in the latter category...even if I run on Safe Mode with ART on, I still get 4 hours of screen on time while there are some who get 7+ hours. Who knows.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is the 2013 N7 going to get a price drop anytime soon? I ask this because earlier I grabbed my 2012 N7 off my nightstand but I forgot it was plugged in and *SNAP*...I broke the connector inside the tablet so now the thing won't charge after plugging it back in. I've had it for over a year so it no longer has a warranty so it's now a $200 paperweight once the battery dies unless there's a way it can be charged wirelessly.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 25, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Is the 2013 N7 going to get a price drop anytime soon? I ask this because earlier I grabbed my 2012 N7 off my nightstand but I forgot it was plugged in and *SNAP*...I broke the connector inside the tablet so now the thing won't charge. I've had it for over a year so it no longer has a warranty so it's now a $200 paperweight once the battery dies unless there's a way it can be charged wirelessly.

Not until June or July when the next one launches.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not until June or July when the next one launches.

Is it worth getting a 2013 N7 or should I look elsewhere for a replacement?

Is there a cheaper alternative?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

ThermoPhysical posted:

It seems some 2013 7s have great battery and some don't. I happen to fall in the latter category...even if I run on Safe Mode with ART on, I still get 4 hours of screen on time while there are some who get 7+ hours. Who knows.

Yeah, I'm guessing either it's pretty random or you got a lovely unit, the battery life on mine has been amazing. That was using MXPlayer 95% of the time the screen was on. If I was just using Google Play Books the whole time, I could easily get 10-12 hours.

Of course if I'm gaming, then the battery life drops to about 4-6 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is there a consensus here about the Galaxy 10.1 2014? I don't mind rooting to hopefully get rid of some of the lag (though there of course should be no lag on a device like that). Thinking it might be better than a laptop if I get a keyboard for it. I love my OG Nexus 7 but having a bigger screen would be great, and the screen is reportedly delicious.