Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Google Glass? More like Ogle rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

No.1 Special posted:

edit:That TWC commercial sounds super shady.
If you don't order TWC, you get the Bill Cowher glare of death.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
From what I hear, tech workers aren't that well paid anymore because there's such a glut of people right now.

And google glass is still the dumbest thing ever.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I don't even know what's even going on with Google anymore.

Also why the gently caress would you even do that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm still laughing at "Ok Google, pull out."
Did I miss something or did they not explain the reasoning behind that whole bus-picketing thing at all beyond "the rent is too drat high and it's Google's fault somehow"?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

raditts posted:

User: "Ok Google, pull out"

Google Glass: "It's only been 30 seconds."

User: :negative:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's a shame we never hear anything about Congo, because holy poo poo is that country a mess.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

It's a shame we never hear anything about Congo, because holy poo poo is that country a mess.

Bourdain recently did a Parts Unknown episode there. There is literally nothing about the episode that is not depressing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

raditts posted:

Did I miss something or did they not explain the reasoning behind that whole bus-picketing thing at all beyond "the rent is too drat high and it's Google's fault somehow"?

Pretty much. Google, to cut down on their employees driving to work, have a fleet of buses to shuttle people around. SF has insanely high rents (I think easily bachelors are like $1500/month) and people are blaming the tech workers who live there because they are being paid so much. As i said, salaries for tech workers have fallen in the last few years because there are so many people now, rather than in the late 90s because there weren't as many. No doubt because the protesters are just really mad they found an easy target rather than actually protest the people who are causing it, they go after people just trying to get to work.

Sair
May 11, 2007

raditts posted:

It boils down to gentrification issues, but that's simplifying a good bit.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Punkin Chunkin reference! :swoon:

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
So now we're talking about this.

edit:Good Job effects people.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty much. Google, to cut down on their employees driving to work, have a fleet of buses to shuttle people around. SF has insanely high rents (I think easily bachelors are like $1500/month) and people are blaming the tech workers who live there because they are being paid so much. As i said, salaries for tech workers have fallen in the last few years because there are so many people now, rather than in the late 90s because there weren't as many. No doubt because the protesters are just really mad they found an easy target rather than actually protest the people who are causing it, they go after people just trying to get to work.
To me, the bigger problem is that all these tech companies in San Francisco are extremely insular. They ruin the entire concept of public space by having the company provide everything for them- namely, lunch. You know, so they don't have to interact with the peons in the outside world.

By the way, the pro-Russian president of Ukraine is the same guy who cheated his way into office a decade ago, starting the Orange Revolution. And that's why revolutions don't solve anything.

Cool, now we get to have the internet structured like cable TV. gently caress to America.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Goddammit, someone go reset the router again.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
More people should know about this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

No.1 Special posted:

So now we're talking about this.

edit:Good Job effects people.

Why talk about it for the last few years when people knowing about it could make a difference?
Might as well talk about it after it's already been killed off and there's nothing anyone can do and no reason for anyone to care.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Three uses of the word "innovation" that mean the exact opposite of what it actually means. Kinda like "freedom."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Y-Hat posted:

To me, the bigger problem is that all these tech companies in San Francisco are extremely insular. They ruin the entire concept of public space by having the company provide everything for them- namely, lunch. You know, so they don't have to interact with the peons in the outside world.

Isn't google and many of these other tech giants out side the city on campuses that aren't close to subways and mcdonalds? I know Blizzard is off in the middle of nowhere and if you want to give 20 minutes to get a burger, thats not a practical use of their time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

Three uses of the word "innovation" that mean the exact opposite of what it actually means. Kinda like "freedom."

Comcast talking about "innovation" is almost as hilarious as their commercials where people left Xfinity allegedly are so happy and relieved to switch back to it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's free speech for corporations. It's not free speech for people. But guess which counts more.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

That's free speech for corporations. It's not free speech for people.

Corporations are people m:suicide:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

raditts posted:

Corporations are people m:suicide:

Until I see the GE logo being loaded into the back of a police crusier, i won't believe it.

High Pants Petty Jew.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Chinese knockoff Colbert

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

raditts posted:

Why talk about it for the last few years when people knowing about it could make a difference?
Might as well talk about it after it's already been killed off and there's nothing anyone can do and no reason for anyone to care.

I'm just annoyed that we're going full 1984 and no one cares.

Also Colbert has a Chinese ripoff?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought someone mentioned it in one of these threads from a while back, but that just looks like any other Chinese show. Going by those clips, it looks like they only stole the opening title and logo.

e: Oh, and that Google Glass sex thing isn't in any way by Google themselves, which I guess makes it a little less weird.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 24, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

No.1 Special posted:

Also Colbert has a Chinese ripoff?
I remembered a few years back a Chinese web talk show ripped off Conan's opening titles. If it's anything like that, it's probably just the opening titles that were copied.

Though, the idea of a Colbert-esque talk show in China satirizing Chinese nationalism and hypocrisy sounds like a program I'd kind of want to check out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

No.1 Special posted:

I'm just annoyed that we're going full 1984 and no one cares.

Please read 1984.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Problem is in the 1990's (when I lived in SF) you couldn't commute down to Mtn View or even San Mateo without some hellish commute where you might waste the first hours just getting THRU SF to the freeway onramp. Caltrain was running but fewer trains/stations and very few shuttles to your actual workplace once you got down there. Therefore almost all of us ended up moving to some stinky corporate shitbox aparments in Mtn View and GOING back to SF on the weekends.

These new guys are spoiled! :corsair:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Colbert guest hosted Selected Shorts, a WNYC program. Aasif Mandvi is one of the readers in this episode. This is barely worth mentioning in this thread, but if one of you guys might care, why not share.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pardon me if I don't believe Greasy Cuomo's facade here. Because number 1, outside of guns gays and fetuses, he has much more in common with Republicans than Democrats, namely vehement opposition to raising taxes. And number 2, he supported the state's Republicans to keep the Senate (and he almost failed!). Maybe he knows de Blasio's star is rising.

Either way, if he pissed off Sean Hannity, that's fine by me. Go to one of the two dumbfuck states.

Yeah, Texas is the friendship state. Right Rick, that's why you hate everyone who isn't white and rich.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Just send Fox News and all its staff to Florida and have Bugs Bunny saw it off.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If only Hannity were flapping his stupid jowls in earnest and really would get the gently caress out.

Cue hours of false Fox New incredulity at their made-up persecution.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just tuned in, what did I miss?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wish these guys were better at performing at Yankee Stadium yesterday.

That wasn't as good as Lewis Black's "gently caress Texas" campaign, but I liked it a lot.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BigRed0427 posted:

Fox News Persecution Complex

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

Fox News having mock outrage about something somebody said that is not praising the far right, must be Monday.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was going to make a joke about him moving to the Confederacy, and the Governors of Florida and Texas made it for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

I wish these guys were better at performing at Yankee Stadium yesterday.

That wasn't as good as Lewis Black's "gently caress Texas" campaign, but I liked it a lot.

"If you stay, we'll cut off our hoodies" got a good laugh out of me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

raditts posted:

"If you stay, we'll cut off our hoodies" got a good laugh out of me.

I liked "we're in love but we'll marry women"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I was going to make a joke about him moving to the Confederacy, and the Governors of Florida and Texas made it for me.
I want Arizona to throw a fit about this.

I need to watch The Goldbergs and Brooklyn Nine-Nine more. I guess there's some stigma in my mind towards network TV.

• Locked thread