Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Decided to make pho ga tonight. Consulted with my Vietnamese friend at work and read mich's guide.

Made the trip up to Denver to the asian market at lunch time. Couldn't resist stopping here for a bite to eat.

copen fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

copen posted:

Decided to make pho ga tonight. Consulted with my Vietnamese friend at work and read mich's guide.

Made the trip up to Denver to the asian market at lunch time. Couldn't resist stopping here for a bite to eat.
Where is that at?

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Hauki posted:

Where is that at?

a place called New Canton BBQ next to h-mart. So not actually Denver but Aurora.

copen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 22, 2014

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just went to a fantastic gig by a band I really like called Dry The River (Wiggles, you might like them). It was so good to lose myself in the music for a bit and forget about my dreadful work stresses.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
http://bigbigtruck.tumblr.com/post/74213779346/i-just-listened-to-this-eight-times-in-a-row-and

Japanese Salsa is apparently a thing that happens. Whatever. They did a really good job, and it's eminently listen-able.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

I just went to a fantastic gig by a band I really like called Dry The River (Wiggles, you might like them). It was so good to lose myself in the music for a bit and forget about my dreadful work stresses.

Not bad. Not at all what I expected. I can't tell if the singer reminds me more of Morrissey or Beirut.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Traveling for work finally paid off, I'm going on a free vacation by cashing in my Hilton points. I've never been to an all-inclusive resort before, which begs the question... how is the food at those places?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Usually butte. Stick to the never ending supply of booze.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Yeah pretty much. In Jamaica they had a jerk chicken stand that was really good and a fresh fruit stand. I went there like twice a day. Dinner was ok. I liked the club sandwich on the room service menu so I got that a lot too.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Squashy Nipples posted:

Traveling for work finally paid off, I'm going on a free vacation by cashing in my Hilton points. I've never been to an all-inclusive resort before, which begs the question... how is the food at those places?

Mostly junk, and usually limited. We ate a lot of the same stuff over and over again, but that probably depends on the resort. Breakfast buffet seems to be the best meal, probably because it's harder to screw up. This was at a Couples resort.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Oh yeah the breakfast buffet where we where was pretty awesome.

Depends on the company a lot running it and location too though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, this is a Hilton, so I'm hoping for better then average fare. We'll see.

I've read from several reviews that the place I'm going to serves name brand, regular/mid shelf liquor. Which is good, these places have a reputation for serving cheap crappy booze.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
My un-girlfriend used to work at an all inclusive in Florida, and I can't say I understand the appeal. I suppose my perspective is occluded by the nature of my business, where I have friends in most major cities and agricultural areas of the Western Hemisphere, but travel and vacations for me are all about trying new things, seeing weird places, and meeting new assholes. Then again, there is merit in picking a pretty place to turn off the stress machine and read a good book while feelin on some titties.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, but that's Florida. The place I'm going to is remote and surrounded by wilderness.

Most of my previous vacations have been of the Do Things, Meet People type, but the theme for this vacation is warm blue water combined with peace and quiet.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Squashy Nipples posted:

...but the theme for this vacation is warm blue water combined with peace and quiet.

and booze.

I actually looked into something like this recently, as I heard great stories (and yes, the great stories came from a "certain type of people", but I like to observe animals in their own habitat, so there's that...)

haven't tried it myself yet, but I probably will in the not too distant future.

The fact that it's a Hilton in your case, makes me doubt that it will be horrible.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, but that's Florida. The place I'm going to is remote and surrounded by wilderness.

Most of my previous vacations have been of the Do Things, Meet People type, but the theme for this vacation is warm blue water combined with peace and quiet.

I am actually a big fan of these types of vacations* precisely because they are forced relaxation. I can sit on the beach all day, smoke my pipe, read my book, drink cocktails. It's a very nice, restful experience.

*depending on where the resort is. Some places, the other side of the wall is so bad that one cannot morally justify enjoying oneself while such abject poverty is right next door.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Then maybe more the reason to go? Tourism is the best way to get money in to their hands. Visit the area too and spend money at the stores and buy souvenirs. Plus a lot of them work on the resorts.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

copen posted:

Then maybe more the reason to go? Tourism is the best way to get money in to their hands. Visit the area too and spend money at the stores and buy souvenirs. Plus a lot of them work on the resorts.

Then go somewhere locally run and owned so that the money stays there rather than being repatriated to head office, which is probably located somewhere like British Virgin Isles or Luxembourg.

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 23, 2014

copen
Feb 2, 2003

therattle posted:

Then go somewhere locally run and owned so that the money stays there rather than being repatriated to had office, which is probably located somewhere like British Virgin Isles or Luxembourg.

This is probably the best thing to do. The only time I've ever done the all inclusive was a honeymoon my in-laws paid for.

I tipped the hell out of everyone cause I didn't have to pay for anything. The gardener was selling me weed and I would pay him twice what he was asking.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I get the appeal of a huge adventurous vacation but I work a high stress job and really enjoy being a lazy piece of poo poo laying by the ocean for a week.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Only thing I don't understand is why people travel a quarter of the way across the globe to lie on a beach.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, this is a Hilton, so I'm hoping for better then average fare. We'll see.

I've read from several reviews that the place I'm going to serves name brand, regular/mid shelf liquor. Which is good, these places have a reputation for serving cheap crappy booze.

If you want specific brands, make sure you ask. All the fruity tropical things will be made with crap, obviously. And anything you don't specify will be, too.

My "favorite" story from our one all-inclusive experience was the woman who was crying alone on the beach because she walked in on her husband banging the maid. The best part: when we told a bartender the story, he was perplexed, because "she knows 100 other private places to take him!"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

Only thing I don't understand is why people travel a quarter of the way across the globe to lie on a beach.

Oh don't get me wrong, the woman and I love our New England beaches. But the important difference is the water: I'm not going a quarter-way-round-the-world to "lie on a beach", I'm going to swim in some awesome water. The water where I live is green and murky and brutally cold; the water where I'm going is warm and blue and crystal clear.

EDIT:

Here is the vegetarian menu they sent me. Could be worse, I guess. We'll bring some protein shakes for her.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 24, 2014

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Sjurygg posted:

some beaches are different than other beaches, and worth traveling to just to lie on.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

I went to one of these for the first time for my (second) honeymoon. First pre-wedding "honeymoon" was more adventurous trip to Singapore and Bali more roughing it, but wanted a lazy rear end VIP thing for post wedding. I was really vigilant about researching places, and really pleased with the end result. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1229340-d649432-Reviews-Excellence_Playa_Mujeres-Playa_Mujeres_Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

There were like 7 restaurants on site, food was above average at all of them, and they had a lot of upper shelf liquors. we got the nicer rooms, and we had like unlimited azul tequila and grey goose and poo poo in our room's bar. We just had time for 4 nights, and paid just a hair over $2000 including plane ticket and rental car - in retrospect I think it was - well maybe not a bargain, but for how nice everything was, a bargain.

edit : god I spent so much loving money last year I want to cry. weddings are goddamn crazy. it was fun and all, but here's to never having to do THAT again. :pray:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 24, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ha, I went to Excellence Playa Mujeres for my honeymoon and then 10 months after that because they had a crazy sale.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

EDIT:

Here is the vegetarian menu they sent me. Could be worse, I guess. We'll bring some protein shakes for her.

Abort, they don't know the difference between a desert and a dessert.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Hauki posted:

Abort, they don't know the difference between a desert and a dessert.

I didn't even know Dairy Brownie was in jail.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

Ha, I went to Excellence Playa Mujeres for my honeymoon and then 10 months after that because they had a crazy sale.

highfive chest bump meet u at the pool bar for playa blancas in 30 brah

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sjurygg posted:

On the 2 weeks of the year where it's 90 degrees on our beaches the water is still ice loving cold and there's rocks and seagull poo poo everywhere.

The only bad part about going somewhere like southern Florida to go lay on the beach is getting sunburned in like the first 3 hours you are there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Also it's about getting away from all the poo poo you have to do. Even if you have an awesome beach where you live, you still have to mow the lawn and clean the house.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just called my wife an angry smelly porpoise.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
same

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tell me what to eat

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Tell me what to eat

well, for the first course, carbonara is a bit boring, and smoked salmon would probably be tasty - but you don't know if it's done in house, so it'd be a gamble as to how good it could be, so I'd go with the more interesting clam risotto

second course, I'm frankly offended by duck confit and mozzarella (AND PASTA??) being together in the same dish, and I end up disappointed 65% of the time I eat duck confit in a restaurant (why people mess this up so much I'll never know), so that's out. besides, you already got your carbs in on the first dish unless you went with the salmon. quail and swordfish both sound good and potentially well composed. I'd personally choose the swordfish if the restaurant is supposed to be good, but that's more of a gamble. I'd be surprised if any competent cook hosed up polenta, quail, and a kale salad.

final course cheese and a glass of port. I'm not a huge sweets guy though, I almost always opt for a fruit or sorbet based dessert, or always cheese if its offered with a dessert wine.

looks good though, have fun!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
really though, what is it with confit. half the time it's not falling off the bone, half the time it's outright bland - I mean you're supposed to salt the goddamn duck for 6-8 hours - or overnight depending on your method - before cooking. how do you end up with underseasoned confit?

and almost invariably it's not crispy - I just don't know what these people are doinggggggggg arghhhhhh angry about confittttt :ssj: maybe I should post a thread about this. :)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

well, for the first course, carbonara is a bit boring, and smoked salmon would probably be tasty - but you don't know if it's done in house, so it'd be a gamble as to how good it could be, so I'd go with the more interesting clam risotto

second course, I'm frankly offended by duck confit and mozzarella (AND PASTA??) being together in the same dish, and I end up disappointed 65% of the time I eat duck confit in a restaurant (why people mess this up so much I'll never know), so that's out. besides, you already got your carbs in on the first dish unless you went with the salmon. quail and swordfish both sound good and potentially well composed. I'd personally choose the swordfish if the restaurant is supposed to be good, but that's more of a gamble. I'd be surprised if any competent cook hosed up polenta, quail, and a kale salad.

final course cheese and a glass of port. I'm not a huge sweets guy though, I almost always opt for a fruit or sorbet based dessert, or always cheese if its offered with a dessert wine.

I was about to post more or less the same thing, pretty much point by point, only with capital letters.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not being familiar with what confit is supposed to be like, I am interested in an expanded rant

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Not being familiar with what confit is supposed to be like, I am interested in an expanded rant

yeah, I'll do a duck confit thread. it gets hosed up a lot, I think I do a good version, and I haven't made it in a while - good excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

I disagree with you almost all the time, but dang you wrote exactly what I was thinking.