Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Does everyone agree with the opinion expressed above that the DAC on iOS devices is sufficient such that it isn't worth my time to bypass it by way of a camera connection kit and USB cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Again, can anyone recommend any bluetooth headphones?

Bluetooth headphones are typically really really bad. Honestly there's gotta be compromises somewhere and I wouldn't go wireless over giving up other features from headphones. A $4 clip-on mic and a set of headphones of your choice would be head over heels better than anything wireless. Every wireless headset I've heard has sounded about the same to stock iPod earbuds.

If you can only spend an absolute max of $60-100 but aren't crucially dependent on a time frame for purchasing these, why not hold off and save up a bit more for something better? If you absolutely have to have wireless and closed and can make do with a $5 Labtec desk mic, I think my mom just picked up some Sennheiser wireless closed headphones for $60 from Costco but I was pretty much less than thrilled with the sound. Wish I could be of more help. v:confused:v

beergod posted:

Does everyone agree with the opinion expressed above that the DAC on iOS devices is sufficient such that it isn't worth my time to bypass it by way of a camera connection kit and USB cable?

I think the on board DAC is okay but I cannot get a consensus online about its quality. My Air was fine for headphones. DACs are really really simple by design and audible differences tend to be nonexistent.

Also, if you ever need to have questions answered about audio specs, just search by user "jcx" on head-fi. He has a tendency to dispute and shut down snake oil through hard science.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Again, can anyone recommend any bluetooth headphones?

Sony MW1 or Samsung HS3000

The Sony comes with excellent headphones and can be used as a standalone MP3 player. The Samsung is cheaper but you'll probably need to use your own headphones as the supplied pair is kinda crap.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
(e;fb, sorta) Maybe a bluetooth adapter w/mic, short cable, and whatever headphones?

You guys tend to be well above my price points on what constitutes an acceptable headphone set. I am in the $60-$100 range and simply can't afford more than that. Currently I have a Siberia v2 set from Steelseries. It's honestly less comfortable than the v1 I had, but that broke years ago and they're long out of production.

I am very tired of wires on headphone sets and I am wondering how wireless technology is coming along. The last wireless experience I had many years ago was beyond dissatisfying. I need a set with a microphone, and I have a big 'ol head. About the only time I use my current set is at work or if someone wants to talk to me over Mumble during a game so that they don't have to hear my stereo system.
Quoting the original post here cause wireless or not, any particular type of headphones you want? Just something similar to those Siberia ones?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This headphone problem is something I've been thinking over for a while, and I think my current problem on my Siberia v2 can be solved by simply replacing the 3.5mm connector cable they come with (which has obviously been damaged and distorts in one ear depending on how it's angled and what it's touching). The rest of the set seems fine, and I bought it a year and a half ago. That's obviously a <$5 fix.

I use the set for two purposes: Work (95% of the time), gaming with Mumble/Skype/etc. (5% of the time). The microphone is nice and comes in very handy when this comes up.

I grow frustrated though, because while the set is otherwise really sturdy, very functional, and provides good sound for the price (I don't consider myself an audiophile, mind), everything keeps coming back to the wires and the comfort. The connectors can separate easily, especially when an office chair gets involved. This is what I believe led directly to the damage. I'm on a TV setup at home and sitting about 6-7 feet away from my desktop, so if I have to put on the phones to use Mumble, the wire quickly becomes an annoyance between my wireless keyboard, 360 pad, mouse, etc.

The v2 is also just not as comfortable on my big head (despite generally getting good reviews in this regard), and I need to take them off more and more as the work day drags on.

The last wireless set I used didn't even come in clearly, but this was so long ago that I am not even sure it was bluetooth, so no wonder.

Because I don't plan to be at this job or a job like it longer than a few more months (my contract ends in September), this is not exactly a problem that I want to throw $150+ at. I am also not super-keen on dragging an extremely expensive set of phones back and forth everywhere even for less than a year.

The bluetooth idea strikes me as something where when I need to get up from my desk, I can just go without worrying about pulling something out of its socket or dealing with yet another tangle every day. I'm definitely worried the drop in sound quality would be too massive to live with.

It's also important to note that the old clipon mike from Siberia v1 set still works, but then the wires really get out of hand.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I'm kind of new to high-end headphones, so if anybody could help out, that would be great. I'm looking for headphones with a natural sound for listening to a wide variety of music, though I prefer electronic music. I'd like open circumaural; I won't be in a noisy environment and don't need isolation. I'm not sure about how amps work with computers, but I won't have a free PCIe slot, so no internal sound cards. My budget is about $200.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Anyone use the Vsonic Gr07 bass editions? I'm getting a pair of ba-200 from TDK as an RMA and I'm thinking about selling them and switching to the Vsonics. Primarily used for rock and dance music. I'll be running them off of a Fiio X3 and E12 blanc. Basically just curious on comfort for long term listening and bass response.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Hey hey, hello all

My trusted headphones have given way and I need some opinions, audiophiles. Looking to upgrade the headphones that came with my NWZ-A845 which have lasted just over three years of daily use.

I've been looking at Sony XBA2s and XBA3s, the former which is quite reasonably priced at the mo but aren't so hot from what I gather of reviews, although most criticism seemed to centre on value.

Has anyone owned/used these that can offer some opinions? I'm open to suggestions so following the list provided in the informative OP:

• Budget - We need to know how much you’re willing to spend so we can find suitable headphones in the price range.
    £100-ish

• Source - What will you be plugging these into? Some headphones do have amp requirements so if your source is an iPod we know not to recommend these.
    Sony NWZ-A845, which is getting on a bit so prob due for upgrade as well

• Isolation Requirements - Do you need isolation?
    Mostly for listening on my commutes on the underground so isolation is important to me.

• Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM? Over-ear? Etc.
    IEM, straight-down. I can't wear any other type. Quite like the staggered cable on my current meaning I pass the right headphone behind my neck.

• Preferred Tonal Balance - Would you prefer bass heavy headphones? Maybe one focused on vocals? Maybe balanced? Let us know.
    Bass-heavy, see preferred music.

• Past Headphones - Let us know what you’ve had and what you’ve liked/disliked about them.
    The MDRs (?) that came with my MP3 have been superb but are the nicest headphones I've had thus far. Looking for an upgrade.

I've had some Skullcandy IEMs that were laughably bad and some UltimateEars that kept falling out of my ear canals, and weren't great otherwise - sorry but I don't recall the model name.

I'm not attuned to high-quality IEMs like I imagine most of you are in here but I'm basically forced into replacing my current headphones and feel it's a good opportunity for an upgrade.

• Preferred Music - Let us know what you’re listening to.
    Mostly hip-hop and D&B, quite a bit of house/techno.

Any advice welcome, ta.

Insanely Sikh fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 25, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm about to go buy an Audioengine D1 for my desktop PC as I don't have a DAC and I'm tired of futzing with my SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic soundcard from like 8 years ago.

I'm hoping it'll make my Grado SR80's sound rad and also hoping to plug my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's into it to take advantage of the DAC. At some point I'll probably get some better PC speakers but for now I'm mostly wanting something that will pass a cleaner signal to my headphones and give me an on-desk volume knob that isn't the crappy one on the ProMedia's.

My question is... well, a few questions, is there any reason I shouldn't pick up a D1 and should instead be looking at something else?

and then I'm also wondering if I should be plugging it into the optical out on my Soundblaster card or the output on the onboard soundcard on my mobo, or if it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

Thanks!

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

MMD3 posted:

My question is... well, a few questions, is there any reason I shouldn't pick up a D1 and should instead be looking at something else?

and then I'm also wondering if I should be plugging it into the optical out on my Soundblaster card or the output on the onboard soundcard on my mobo, or if it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

If you want something that can be used as a portable amp, there are some other options in the same price range (Fiio E17 + E09K, HRT HeadStreamer), but the D1 is a fine option for a desktop DAC/amp.

And any particular reason you're using optical instead of USB?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Sony XB90EX might be right up your alley.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dpbjinc posted:

I'm kind of new to high-end headphones, so if anybody could help out, that would be great. I'm looking for headphones with a natural sound for listening to a wide variety of music, though I prefer electronic music. I'd like open circumaural; I won't be in a noisy environment and don't need isolation. I'm not sure about how amps work with computers, but I won't have a free PCIe slot, so no internal sound cards. My budget is about $200.
You sound like a prim candidate for Sennheiser 598. $190 on Amazon without coupon, 50 ohm impedance so you can user your computer soundcard.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

GokieKS posted:

If you want something that can be used as a portable amp, there are some other options in the same price range (Fiio E17 + E09K, HRT HeadStreamer), but the D1 is a fine option for a desktop DAC/amp.

And any particular reason you're using optical instead of USB?

yeah, I don't need portable at all, I don't have any desire to carry around another device in my pocket when I'm traveling and I commute by car. I also feel like my phone does a pretty adequate job of powering my headphones/earbuds.

No reason in particular, just assumed it might be better, should I be using USB?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Nothing at all wrong with optical if you've got it. In fact I've got a DAC that will do 24bit playback over optical, but only 16bit over USB, so optical would be the preferred connection if you have digital sources above CD quality.

I imagine there's other equipment with that limitation since most USB DACs are designed around the same few popular chips.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
You need to have it connected via USB for power even if using optical (or get a separate power adapter). And yes, if you have music that's 24/192, then you'd have to use optical (USB supports up to 24/96), but if you do then you probably aren't buying the D1 in the first place (and 24/192 is basically stupid silly anyway, but that's another story). USB is just a lot simpler for most people and lets you remove/disable your existing soundcards. God knows not having to deal with Creative's drivers is worth it all by itself.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Henchman 21 posted:

Anyone use the Vsonic Gr07 bass editions? I'm getting a pair of ba-200 from TDK as an RMA and I'm thinking about selling them and switching to the Vsonics. Primarily used for rock and dance music. I'll be running them off of a Fiio X3 and E12 blanc. Basically just curious on comfort for long term listening and bass response.

This is probably only partially relevant as I own the GR07 Mk2s, not the BE, but it's a bit frustrating because common 3rd-party tips don't fit the gigantic, thick barrels. The stock foams were decent, but they wore out fast and the other included tips don't fit well for me.

Still, when I manage a good fit, it's pretty decent and I can keep them in for a few hours at a time. Sometimes the sibilance makes me pull them out, but that might not be a problem on the BE?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

grack posted:

The Sony XB90EX might be right up your alley.

Ta, checking these out.

Going back to my original q, has anyone tried the XBA's?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm kind of boggling that everyone was stumbling over themselves to recommend an outboard headphone amp to someone who has a full sized receiver [let's ignore DACs for now]. This kind of gear has become popular due to increased listening from computers and portable sources, any decent receiver should have plenty of power for the headphone output.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I just got a new pair of Sennheiser HD558s to replace my still working but very worn, cracked and falling apart HD555s.

Would anyone itt want my HD555s to gut? I know the drivers are well regarded. They are yours if you pay shipping. I feel bad throwing them out.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I just got a new pair of Sennheiser HD558s to replace my still working but very worn, cracked and falling apart HD555s.

Would anyone itt want my HD555s to gut? I know the drivers are well regarded. They are yours if you pay shipping. I feel bad throwing them out.

Stop stalking me ffs

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

qirex posted:

I'm kind of boggling that everyone was stumbling over themselves to recommend an outboard headphone amp to someone who has a full sized receiver [let's ignore DACs for now]. This kind of gear has become popular due to increased listening from computers and portable sources, any decent receiver should have plenty of power for the headphone output.

Meh, I can tell quite a difference between my magni and the receiver's amp. $100 investment so it worked out pretty well for me.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so after trying the D1 on several USB ports and getting USB connection errors I've finally concluded it won't work w/ a USB extension cable I have, wondering if maybe it's just because this is an older cable, could be USB1, not sure quite how old it is. I only really need something that is like 6' as opposed to the 3' cable it comes with. Is this an issue powering it or something?

My only issue is audio seems to be stuttering through Spotify and youtube but I suppose maybe I'm just having wifi issues, will see if that goes away in time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hallowed Turban posted:

Ta, checking these out.

Going back to my original q, has anyone tried the XBA's?

If you like really bass heavy music the XBAs would be completely wrong for you (unless you're shelling out for the XBA4)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I hosed up a pair of jvcs by bending the plug. I'm planning on getting a replacement plug and soldering it on. Does the plug brand/design matter, or is it going to be all on my soldering either way?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hosed up a pair of jvcs by bending the plug. I'm planning on getting a replacement plug and soldering it on. Does the plug brand/design matter, or is it going to be all on my soldering either way?

Anything that costs more than $0.50 is going to be functional. Maybe at least $10 at RadioShack.

Switchcraft, Neutriks or Amphenol are all good name brands if they're available.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 25, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey fine gents & ladies. About a year ago I wandered in here with a request for a solid set of headphones and got turned onto a ~$100-ish Audio Technica supa-aural (closed) set. (At least I think it was supa, maybe circum-?)

Anyhoo, they were pretty fantastic but my wife loved them so much I gave them to her for her work use.

So now I want new cans. And I turn to you again for great advice...

Wish list:

Comfy

Circum-Aural or at least Supa-Aural.

Closed

Ehhhh, let's say under $150 (but don't shy away from a suggestion if it just breaches that threshold a little...)

I like good well-rounded sound. Able to handle low end, but doesn't need to be a Miami Bass Machine...

Uses: iPad movies and Tv shows, Korg Gadget music studio, music listenin'.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

qirex posted:

The issue is that output impedance in receiver amplifier sections are often nonspecified and more often high enough to cause audible distortion of signal-- most commonly through muddy bass. This isn't a huge issue with inefficient/high impedance headphones, but it begins to show itself with more sensitive drivers.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Feenix posted:

Hey fine gents & ladies. About a year ago I wandered in here with a request for a solid set of headphones and got turned onto a ~$100-ish Audio Technica supa-aural (closed) set. (At least I think it was supa, maybe circum-?)

Anyhoo, they were pretty fantastic but my wife loved them so much I gave them to her for her work use.

Wish list:

Comfy

Closed

Ehhhh, let's say under $150 (but don't shy away from a suggestion if it just breaches that threshold a little...)

I like good well-rounded sound. Able to handle low end, but doesn't need to be a Miami Bass Machine...

Do you remember the model number? Might be able to get you something similar.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

WugLyfe posted:

Do you remember the model number? Might be able to get you something similar.

They were the ATH-M50S.

I'm not against going better and spending a touch more if the value is there... :)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Josh Lyman posted:

You sound like a prim candidate for Sennheiser 598. $190 on Amazon without coupon, 50 ohm impedance so you can user your computer soundcard.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll try them out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man, lots of good user reviews on the Audio Technica 900x cans but a lot of complaints about the comfort and fit with the heft vs. the paddles/wings.

What's the story with AKG K550's?

Likewise with the Sennheiser Momentum? (I know it's above my price range but my god they look classy.)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 26, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Looking for a recommendation on a set of IEMs:

Price: $100-150 range, but could go up to $200 for a good value.

Plugged into: iPhone 5, so would like cable controls + mic

Usage: Mostly at work so good isolation is important, along with nothing too harsh sounding since I'll have them in most of the day

Listen to: All sorts of stuff, I like bass sometimes but not at the expense of overall quality

Coming from: Klipsch S4i (not really loving these, but they had the controls/mic)
Previously had Shures (forget the number, the cable insulation ended up cracking to pieces) and Sonys.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

grack posted:

If you like really bass heavy music the XBAs would be completely wrong for you (unless you're shelling out for the XBA4)

Sweet, buying them today.

Cheers grack

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
I'm looking for a pair of circumaural headphones that will suit me for gaming as well as listening to music. I've been listening to a lot of music lately that sounds like Mogwai/Com Truise/Washed Out if that helps at all. Right now I own a Plantronics GameCom 780 and I particularly enjoy it for the virtual surround sound, but I feel like for some reason I am doing myself a disservice by not owning a "real" pair of headphones. I will probably end up buying a separate mic but I wouldn't mind having another headset as long as it has good audio quality too; it seems like gaming headsets are generally regarded as gimmicky or trash compared to a good pair of headphones.

I've done some reading and looked through a few different guides including the ones linked in the OP and am having a hard time coming to a solid conclusion so far. The ATH-M50 keeps coming up as a popular choice and I'm almost ready to just stop now and order a pair, but I am reading that it isn't so great for gaming. I don't really consider myself competitive but I do enjoy having an upper-hand in a game where auditory cues can turn the tide (think CS:GO for example).

Right now I don't own any special audio equipment, just the on-board audio chip on my motherboard (Realtek ALC892). I could consider buying a Xonar DG sound card if it's necessary.

I would like to spend $150 or less and the ATH-M50 is just a dollar short of that on Amazon right now. Is there something better or cheaper I should look into instead?

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 27, 2014

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm looking for a pair of circumaural headphones that will suit me for gaming as well as listening to music. I've been listening to a lot of music lately that sounds like Mogwai/Com Truise/Washed Out if that helps at all. Right now I own a Plantronics GameCom 780 and I particularly enjoy it for the virtual surround sound, but I feel like for some reason I am doing myself a disservice by not owning a "real" pair of headphones. I will probably end up buying a separate mic but I wouldn't mind having another headset as long as it has good audio quality too; it seems like gaming headsets are generally regarded as gimmicky or trash compared to a good pair of headphones.

I've done some reading and looked through a few different guides including the ones linked in the OP and am having a hard time coming to a solid conclusion so far. The ATH-M50 keeps coming up as a popular choice and I'm almost ready to just stop now and order a pair, but I am reading that it isn't so great for gaming. I don't really consider myself competitive but I do enjoy having an upper-hand in a game where auditory cues can turn the tide (think CS:GO for example).

Right now I don't own any special audio equipment, just the on-board audio chip on my motherboard (Realtek ALC892). I could consider buying a Xonar DG sound card if it's necessary.

I would like to spend $150 or less and the ATH-M50 is just a dollar short of that on Amazon right now. Is there something better or cheaper I should look into instead?

Good audiophile level headphones with integrated mic. Both headphones are based on older non-mic versions that were popular with gamers. In fact I have the precursor to the ATH-ADG1.

Open headphones for gaming: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/97d660ada89c32c8/index.html
Closed headphones for gaming: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/97d660ada89c32c8/index.html

If you don't want to spend that much then you will have a more difficult time finding a good pair of headphones that also have a microphone, if that matters to you. If you are thinking of the ATH-M50 I would also consider the Ultrasone HFI-580's. I own a pair and the s-logic technology they use, drivers are offset, allows for a wider sound stage than other closed headphones. These would handle 5.1 sound much better if you have a card that outputs it.

I currently have an Asus Xonar STX card and switch between a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580's and Shure 1540's. It doesn't matter the headphone you have if your source is crap. You should also think of upgrading your sound card, something with 5.1 if you want directional sound in FPS games.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Decided on upgrading when I get my tax return. I'm fairly happy with my Monoprice 8323s (recommended by this thread, thank you guys), but the quality pairs in the $200ish range have to sound significantly better, right?

Budget - $250, max. Preferably around $200.

Source - LG Optimus L9 phone, running Spotify at extreme quality (which is 320kbps Ogg, I believe) with a FiiO E6 amp.

Isolation Requirements - Yes. I listen to music on the subway, so good isolation is a plus.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full sized, closed. Open would be okay if it has great isolation.

Preferred Tonal Balance - V-shaped or bass heavy.

Past Headphones - Monoprice 8323s, which I like but I'm ready for something more. Before I had a pair of $50 Sony MDR-NC7s that were noticeably worse than the $20 Monoprices. Looking for something that's a similar or greater increase in sound quality.

Preferred Music - Rock and folk. My favorite genre is punk with keyboards and synths, hence the V-shaped preference.

I've been eyeing the Ultrasone HFI-780s from the buying guide in the OP. But maybe there's something better for my particular tastes?

Edit: Forgot to mention I have a portable amp.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 29, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Feenix posted:

Wish list:

Comfy

Closed

Did a bit of my own independent research and also some listening tests.

I tried the AKG K550s and found them comfortable, but a little boring. Again, I'm not looking for crazy punch, but the bass felt a bit lacking. Flat.

I tried the Senn Momentums, and for Circum-aurals, they are loving tiny. Pass.

Interestingly enough, I found a lot of praise on Head-Fi an other places for the V-Moda Crossfade M-100s. I've enjoyed their earbuds in the past, and these sound like they are "sonically fun". I'm headed to a store today to sample them. Still interested in feedback from anyone who has it, but I will be happy with these if they sound good, cover my ears well/comfortably, and have a decent build quality feel.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some sweet rear end iem buds for my commute. I need it to have an iphone button and volume controls, and I'd also like it to have a really nice cord, not thin and weak. I really like fancier cords. I don't want it to go into my ears too deeply or stick out too much like the Etymotics I've seen.

I listen to hip hop, and podcasts. I want something sturdy but that sounds great. I'm using a pair of Klipsch S4i II's that I've liked, but I feel like investing in something super good cause I have some money. I'm willing to spend up to $250ish, but I'm willing to look at something more expensive too.

Thanks to anyone with a recommendation that fits this for me. I've long wanted to invest in some good headphones.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Hamelekim posted:

Good audiophile level headphones with integrated mic. Both headphones are based on older non-mic versions that were popular with gamers. In fact I have the precursor to the ATH-ADG1.

Open headphones for gaming: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/97d660ada89c32c8/index.html
Closed headphones for gaming: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/97d660ada89c32c8/index.html

If you don't want to spend that much then you will have a more difficult time finding a good pair of headphones that also have a microphone, if that matters to you. If you are thinking of the ATH-M50 I would also consider the Ultrasone HFI-580's. I own a pair and the s-logic technology they use, drivers are offset, allows for a wider sound stage than other closed headphones. These would handle 5.1 sound much better if you have a card that outputs it.

I currently have an Asus Xonar STX card and switch between a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580's and Shure 1540's. It doesn't matter the headphone you have if your source is crap. You should also think of upgrading your sound card, something with 5.1 if you want directional sound in FPS games.

Thanks for the reply, I'd really love to get my hands on the ATH-ADG1's seeing as it's more or less an ideal product to me but I'm not sure I can take that $300 hit at the moment. I may end up going with the HFI-580's and will probably grab a Xonar DG card since all I really have now is on-board sound.

If anyone else has any input or suggestions I'm completely open to them, this would be my first actual experience using a sound card and quality pair of headphones.

EDIT: Managed to grab the HFI-580s for only $125 and ordered the sound card, next step is purchasing a ModMic probably. Thanks again for the suggestion Hamelekim.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Thanks for the reply, I'd really love to get my hands on the ATH-ADG1's seeing as it's more or less an ideal product to me but I'm not sure I can take that $300 hit at the moment. I may end up going with the HFI-580's and will probably grab a Xonar DG card since all I really have now is on-board sound.

If anyone else has any input or suggestions I'm completely open to them, this would be my first actual experience using a sound card and quality pair of headphones.

EDIT: Managed to grab the HFI-580s for only $125 and ordered the sound card, next step is purchasing a ModMic probably. Thanks again for the suggestion Hamelekim.

Hope you enjoy them, I know that I do!