Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Mindblast posted:

I don't think Leez is actually the one doing anything. She's possessed I thought?e: and odds are it's the God who made/owned the sword iirc anyway so all bets are off.

I don't think it's Kali possesing her. I mean, if that was the case, I would expect things to be much messier around there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wait that's the original creator? Yeah ok no I mixed something up. Odds are it is Kubera himself that is doing the possessing, so yeah.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Maybe the sword itself is sentient. Leez is its rightful owner, and killing the bird dude is what she wants more than anything in the world. It is just being helpful!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Does Reiche still read the thread? Would it be possible for him to link to The Gamer(whatever the best scanlation location for it would be) and Cheese in the Trap in the OP? Or would someone who keeps the OP up-to-date remake the thread? It hasn't had an update in almost two years.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I made a thread for the gamer instead here you go

Punc posted:

Noblesse 313
I wonder how long Rai can stay 'near to death'. He's bleeding all over the place, wonder if we'll have a time skip or something where he'll be able to rest some.

Also n-thing the love for The Gamer. It's fast becoming my favorite comic, I hope it remains its silly self for a long long time.

Yeah he's bleeding a lot this time. Frankenstein did say that the ring was the last seal so maybe there's no more dodging the inevitable for Rai, but then again this is noblesse we're talking about.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Mindblast posted:

I don't think Leez is actually the one doing anything. She's possessed I thought?e: and odds are it's the God who made/owned the sword iirc anyway so all bets are off.

No, it's all her right now. Killing Maruna as revenge for the destruction of her village has been Leez' primary motivation since the beginning of the strip. She has a God-level item that mimics many of God Kubera's powers. She seems to in some sense also "be" Kubera due to God Kubera's loss of his name and place in the universe due to whatever he did to Ananta. And according to Agni, a God's name is an integral part of its being, inseparable from their mind, identity, and power.

The Sword of Re was made by Kali to gently caress-up Shiva, but it didn't work out so she literally tossed it away.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

No, it's all her right now. Killing Maruna as revenge for the destruction of her village has been Leez' primary motivation since the beginning of the strip. She has a God-level item that mimics many of God Kubera's powers. She seems to in some sense also "be" Kubera due to God Kubera's loss of his name and place in the universe due to whatever he did to Ananta. And according to Agni, a God's name is an integral part of its being, inseparable from their mind, identity, and power.

The Sword of Re was made by Kali to gently caress-up Shiva, but it didn't work out so she literally tossed it away.

I think she is currently possessed, her personality is wildly different and seems to be an "older" entity by the way it is talking. Leez is not that confident/knowledgeable/cocky.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
That's called "character development," although it is kind of sudden. I think it's more coming from reflecting on how Asha treats her.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Punc posted:

Noblesse 313
I wonder how long Rai can stay 'near to death'. He's bleeding all over the place, wonder if we'll have a time skip or something where he'll be able to rest some.

Also n-thing the love for The Gamer. It's fast becoming my favorite comic, I hope it remains its silly self for a long long time.

I started reading Noblesse a few days back and just caught up on the most recent chapters, and I have to say I kind of hope Rai gets taken out of the picture for awhile so we can get more focus on M-21, Tao, and Takeo, because they're my favorite characters.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

KittyEmpress posted:

I started reading Noblesse a few days back and just caught up on the most recent chapters, and I have to say I kind of hope Rai gets taken out of the picture for awhile so we can get more focus on M-21, Tao, and Takeo, because they're my favorite characters.

I agree, and kind of wonder if their teamwork techniques are foreshadowing what the stronger characters are going to have to resort to later on, if they end up being outmatched by the remaining elders with Rai being all on the brink of death and all and possibly unable to fight (or being held back as a last resort). I'm also curious if M-21 has any connection to Muzaka -- I want to know more about where his heart came from.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Everything Burrito posted:

I agree, and kind of wonder if their teamwork techniques are foreshadowing what the stronger characters are going to have to resort to later on, if they end up being outmatched by the remaining elders with Rai being all on the brink of death and all and possibly unable to fight (or being held back as a last resort). I'm also curious if M-21 has any connection to Muzaka -- I want to know more about where his heart came from.

I'd love to see them take on some future baddies without having to be saved, before we see other people adapting their tactics.

I also want to see the Were-wolves' reactions to M-21

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Hodgepodge posted:

That's called "character development," although it is kind of sudden. I think it's more coming from reflecting on how Asha treats her.

Too sudden, it's what's throwing me off here. I also don't recall her being that knowledgeable about mana. If this is character development it is happening at a pace that causes her to come across like a fully different person.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I don't fully understand why Korean Manwha is more enjoyable to me than Japanese Manga is. But I'm enjoying it all the same.

I tend to find the humor in Korean manhwa a lot funnier than the humor in most Japanese manga I read. Part of it might be related to a lot of humor in Japan being related to stuff like manzai (most "gag manga" seems to be sort of like manzai, at least), which most Westerners (including myself) don't tend to find very funny.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Just picked up on Noblesse, currently on Chapter 66. I like it, but... well? Rai's indifference and ignorance was funny at first but now it's starting to get a little dull.

When does he become a more interesting character? Or does he at all?

khy fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 21, 2014

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

khy posted:

Just picked up on Noblesse, currently on Chapter 66. I like it, but... well? Rai's indifference and ignorance was funny at first but now it's starting to get a little dull.

He certainly cares and poo poo, but it remains like that really. The upside is that the other characters get more fleshed out so there's that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

khy posted:

Rai stays pretty un-emotional, but he's pretty much the most caring character in existence. It doesn't really change his attitude though.

Frankenstein gets hilarious though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

KittyEmpress posted:

Rai stays pretty un-emotional, but he's pretty much the most caring character in existence. It doesn't really change his attitude though.

It's pretty much Rai's whole thing. It makes for the occasional humorous misunderstanding, but most of the personality is in the entire rest of the cast.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Having made it through the Cerberus Arc where Rai's existence is explained I can somewhat understand that better now.

And even though I would love to see Rai become more chatty and expressive of his emotions I have to say that hardly anything in this series cracks me up as much as when Rai attempts to console Frankenstein with the gentle patting.'

And now that I've reached the latest page and chapter... WILD SPECULATION I can't help but wonder if somehow all of the people who have been protected by Rai will offer up some of their own life force to him. He'll reject their offer but they'll make it clear that its their desire and that will end up being enough of a boost to let him get by a while longer. And their sincere feelings towards him will cause him to blush and turn away because that's the most powerful 'pleased' emotion he has.

KittyEmpress posted:

I would also like to see this because has there been a single fight where those three were able to overcome their opponent(s) without someone much stronger suddenly appearing to kick their rear end, and yet another stronger person appearing to bail them out?

khy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 23, 2014

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Breaker: New Waves 145 is out early. Sunwoo Elder continues to be the most badass loving dude alive.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Lyon posted:

Breaker: New Waves 145 is out early. Sunwoo Elder continues to be the most badass loving dude alive.

Gramps you're the best. Honestly I kind of want to see the other Elders do some fighting once in a while though, Would've been nice if Shioon would've put up some defense as well, though I understand why he might not at all be concerned about being attacked despite the words given that he hasn't seen Nine Arts in such a long time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

What do I have to do to get a badass karate grandpa because it basically seems like the greatest thing in the world.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Lyon posted:

Literally shaking with excitement for the next chapter. Say what you want about The Breaker but when the chapters are like these, its one of my favorite reads of the week.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I still assert that BreakerNW is just a manga about learning respect for your elders.

Your elders loving own.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Breaky posted:

I still assert that BreakerNW is just a manga about learning respect for your elders.

Your elders loving own.

The original Breaker was partly about how your elders are corrupt, greedy, treacherous pieces of poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The readers in the comments section of Breaker: New Waves over at Daum (where it's hosted) have declared Elder Kwon the new main character of series.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

We got two new chapters of Kubera :confused:. In ch. 73 Kubera snaps out of whatever and doesn't remember what she was doing during the last few minutes. That poor kid. And in ch. 74 I hope I got it right that Yuta finally decides what he wants and becomes 3rd stage. Literal character development:black101:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I was so annoyed when yuta pulled her out of it, but this might be good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The readers in the comments section of Breaker: New Waves over at Daum (where it's hosted) have declared Elder Kwon the new main character of series.

Do you know how awesome a "Life and times of Elder Kwon" Spinoff would be?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bernardo Orel posted:

We got two new chapters of Kubera :confused:. In ch. 73 Kubera snaps out of whatever and doesn't remember what she was doing during the last few minutes. That poor kid. And in ch. 74 I hope I got it right that Yuta finally decides what he wants and becomes 3rd stage. Literal character development:black101:

It is interesting to see that the bird guy isn't just utterly indifferent to human life but with good intentions from his perspective. Nope, dude is just an rear end in a top hat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just got around to reading Kubera. Can anyone recommend something with a similar kind of scope like Kubera/Tower of God/Magician? If that makes sense.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure about the scope, but City of the Dead Sorcerer is cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Most of those regularly talked about in this thread I read. I was after something knew if anyone was reading it I suppose

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I don't know about scale, but for fantasy action adventure manhwa there's also Divine Bells, TAL, the Flow, Over Steam and Black Haze. I haven't sen any discussion about those, but I can't guarantee quality since I read pretty much anything to waste time.

E: For historical there's In Full Bloom and Be Heun.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 25, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
TAL is pretty dull and uninspired. While it isn't a webtoon, the absolute best manwha is still Shin Angyo Onshi.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

the Flow has some interesting worldbuilding and stuff, though the overplayed 'super weak main character is actually amazing!!!' story is kind of boring so far. It's going on a two month break as it just finished Season 1.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Black Behemoth is a pretty interesting manwha. It doesn't have a lot of chapters translated, but what is out there so far reminds me a bit of Hunter X Hunter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lyon posted:

I kept forgetting about The Black Heaven and Earth school's thing where you can become an insane battle-god. Did Shioon do that when the Sunwoo guy died or was that something else? Because the point is that your technique/skill doesn't matter when you 'switch on' because you fight entirely on instinct with DBZ level speed/power; if Shioon did he totally shouldn't have gotten his rear end kicked like he did.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Serious Frolicking posted:

the absolute best manwha is still Shin Angyo Onshi.
Yep. This is my yearly reminder everyone who hasn't read Shin Angyo Onshi needs to.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

korrandark posted:

Black Behemoth is a pretty interesting manwha. It doesn't have a lot of chapters translated, but what is out there so far reminds me a bit of Hunter X Hunter.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a Hunter X Hunter clone, but the plotlines are suspiciously similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Sindai posted:

Yep. This is my yearly reminder everyone who hasn't read Shin Angyo Onshi needs to.

I'm two chapters in... this is some pretty depressing poo poo so far.