Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SynthOrange posted:

It'd be pretty boring without a cat. Heading to a shelter tomorrow and having a visit.

Question about introductions, a lot of guides say to try confine the cat to a room for a few days while introducing them to your home. Options: either the main living area, one of the bedrooms (all carpeted) or the bathroom (which is tiled). Would one be as good as the other?

I think that may depend on how skittish the cat is. I'd say start with a small room without many hidey-holes (they'll need at least one), like one of the bedrooms. If your cat is out wandering around and exploring you're probably good at not needing to confine them when you're around.

I'd say set up one of the rooms as a cat proof'd "safe room" for when you're unable to supervise them for a little while until everything gets settled.

Oh, and they'll find holes you never knew existed. Small gap between the dishwasher and wall that an 8 month old cat can fit in? Yeah, they'll hide out under the dishwasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I say bathroom but only because it means easy cleanup in the event of an accident.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

SynthOrange posted:

It'd be pretty boring without a cat. Heading to a shelter tomorrow and having a visit.

Question about introductions, a lot of guides say to try confine the cat to a room for a few days while introducing them to your home. Options: either the main living area, one of the bedrooms (all carpeted) or the bathroom (which is tiled). Would one be as good as the other?

I tend to go with the bathroom as the initial quarantine, since it's easier to clean. Mind you, the older of our two cats gave no fucks about being in a new place and was at home immediately. Play it by ear.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fine-tune posted:

I tend to go with the bathroom as the initial quarantine, since it's easier to clean. Mind you, the older of our two cats gave no fucks about being in a new place and was at home immediately. Play it by ear.

Yeah, I always start with the litter room, so they will always know where it is.

cats
May 11, 2009
I have a gray and white cat - spots/color blocked, not tabby. He's got different fur for each color - the white hairs are soft and smooth but the gray parts are denser/fluffier, shed more, each individual hair has an almost wavy/crimped look (overall look is still smooth), and I think it has an undercoat? Not sure what the proper term would be. Is there a name for this type of coat?

poor quality cell phone pics that hopefully show a bit of the difference.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I believe undercoat is the correct term. My floofy cat is like that too.

cats
May 11, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I believe undercoat is the correct term. My floofy cat is like that too.

Oh I meant a name for a coat with two different kind of fur - one color has an undercoat, one doesn't.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pianist On Strike posted:

Oh I meant a name for a coat with two different kind of fur - one color has an undercoat, one doesn't.

Pigmentation is going to change the characteristics of the fur somewhat. I'm reasonably sure that this is what is going on with your cat, and other cats with white markings.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats in the box?!

Oh hi

Gave him plenty of pets and chitchats, but then he seemed more interested in lying down, so I let him be for now. :3:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Ohhh he is pretty, and super photogenic. :)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
That is the girliest boycat I've ever seen. :3: Please say he has a dainty meow too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

His meows are so quiet, if he ever meows. He loves purring though, even a tiny rub will set him off. Hmm, need a good name for him.

Averrences
May 3, 2008
I have a bit of a sad update - I have talked to my parents about Perzy's situation, and it's quite clear to me that they do consider him to be a nuisance rather than a pet. They've made it quite clear that, since he's been an outdoor cat all of its life that it will, in under no circumstances, be allowed into the house. My mum said it would be analogous to letting a large rat in for her.

They still want to make sure he's alright, and are making sure that his living situation in garage is as good as possible, but I was a bit taken a back with how unashamedly they acted about not wanting it in the house - apparently since before Evie died, it stopped cleaning itself properly, and so is apparently too dirty to come in ( I always thought it smelled ok?)

Deteriorata posted:

Unless the invading cats were causing a problem, there's no reason whatever to lock the garage door. Perzy would also do better as a house cat and have some companionship, even if he hides under the couch all day.

I mentioned this as well, apparently the cats were pissing everywhere and leaving poo poo on the floor, so that was an intolerable situation to them. Unfortunately I can't take Perzy off of them, I can't afford a pet where I am at the moment, but it's very very clear that they really don't want this cat, they've even tried to give him away to a shelter, but nowhere accepts such an old cat, so they feel resigned to just giving it this basic existence until it passes away :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh, the bathroom that Timmy's confined in has no windows, so I've been leaving a small light on for him. Should I turn it off for the night, or will he just not care?

Also poop has hit the litterbox. :toot:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

Oh, the bathroom that Timmy's confined in has no windows, so I've been leaving a small light on for him. Should I turn it off for the night, or will he just not care?

Also poop has hit the litterbox. :toot:

If it's pitch loving black in there, a nightlight would be good as cats don't have perfect night vision.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Averrences posted:

I have a bit of a sad update - I have talked to my parents about Perzy's situation, and it's quite clear to me that they do consider him to be a nuisance rather than a pet. They've made it quite clear that, since he's been an outdoor cat all of its life that it will, in under no circumstances, be allowed into the house. My mum said it would be analogous to letting a large rat in for her.

They still want to make sure he's alright, and are making sure that his living situation in garage is as good as possible, but I was a bit taken a back with how unashamedly they acted about not wanting it in the house - apparently since before Evie died, it stopped cleaning itself properly, and so is apparently too dirty to come in ( I always thought it smelled ok?)

I mentioned this as well, apparently the cats were pissing everywhere and leaving poo poo on the floor, so that was an intolerable situation to them. Unfortunately I can't take Perzy off of them, I can't afford a pet where I am at the moment, but it's very very clear that they really don't want this cat, they've even tried to give him away to a shelter, but nowhere accepts such an old cat, so they feel resigned to just giving it this basic existence until it passes away :(

Your parents are total assholes and should never be allowed to own another living thing. Call shelters and rescues yourself, because if they're telling you nobody will take him then either they are full of poo poo or they didn't call the right kinds of places. There will be someone somewhere that will accept him, even if they have to put him down it's a better death than freezing to death all alone and scared in the dark.

I hope the elderly care home your folks go to later in life is just as considerate to them as they were to Perzy.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I have a question:

I own a cat, and at the beginning of owning her had trouble with her annoying me while I sleep, but she's gotten much better. Now I let her roam the house while I'm in bed, sometimes she joins me, sometimes she does other stuff, but she doesn't bother me anymore. I've gotten used to her prowls and getting on the bed with me as well.

I have a new girlfriend, who is not used to cats and Charlie (my cat) keeps waking her up. I live in a one bedroom, so when my girl sleeps over I put Charlie in the living room. Charlie is not liking this, and she stays at the door a lot swiping her paws under it, and hitting the door, which is not helping the sleeping endeavor.

So far I've tried piling blankets/towels in front of the door to keep her from getting to the underside, but she eventually just pushes that away and continues trying to get in. Tonight I plan on taping aluminum foil to the door (google tells me this might work), but I have a feeling she is just going to tear it off.

She's well loved and I play with her often, but as I'm not always home I assume she is sleeping part of the day, so she can bother us at night. She has access to all her food and litter and toys during the night as well. She tends to start the behavior around 3 am, which I am assuming is when she thinks the day begins.

Any other ideas I can try? I refuse to get rid of the cat, but it is important to me the GF gets a good nights sleep as well since she works 12 hour shifts. Thankfully Charlie is not yowling or anything, just upset because she can't come into the room at night. Charlie does not care about getting sprayed in the face with water, air cans, or vacuum cleaners. She shrugs it off like a boss :/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Obese Janissary posted:

I have a question:

I own a cat, and at the beginning of owning her had trouble with her annoying me while I sleep, but she's gotten much better. Now I let her roam the house while I'm in bed, sometimes she joins me, sometimes she does other stuff, but she doesn't bother me anymore. I've gotten used to her prowls and getting on the bed with me as well.

I have a new girlfriend, who is not used to cats and Charlie (my cat) keeps waking her up. I live in a one bedroom, so when my girl sleeps over I put Charlie in the living room. Charlie is not liking this, and she stays at the door a lot swiping her paws under it, and hitting the door, which is not helping the sleeping endeavor.

So far I've tried piling blankets/towels in front of the door to keep her from getting to the underside, but she eventually just pushes that away and continues trying to get in. Tonight I plan on taping aluminum foil to the door (google tells me this might work), but I have a feeling she is just going to tear it off.

She's well loved and I play with her often, but as I'm not always home I assume she is sleeping part of the day, so she can bother us at night. She has access to all her food and litter and toys during the night as well. She tends to start the behavior around 3 am, which I am assuming is when she thinks the day begins.

Any other ideas I can try? I refuse to get rid of the cat, but it is important to me the GF gets a good nights sleep as well since she works 12 hour shifts. Thankfully Charlie is not yowling or anything, just upset because she can't come into the room at night. Charlie does not care about getting sprayed in the face with water, air cans, or vacuum cleaners. She shrugs it off like a boss :/

All I can think of is some sort of behavioral aversion therapy. Like when she jumps onto the bed at night, immediately swat her off. She needs to associate something unpleasant with being on the bed when people are in it. Maybe give her a heated cat bed next to your bed in addition so she can still be close without being annoying.

It may be just curiosity - your girlfriend is something new on her turf that she's exploring, and once she gets used to it may calm down on her own. Locking the cat out of the room sounds like a very bad idea unless she's locked out all the time. You're stimulating her need to defend her territory, so naturally she's going to go berserk.

Girlfriend and cat are going to have to work out their issues together.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Tire her out before bed with some playtime, and put an upside-down office mat under your bedroom door.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

His meows are so quiet, if he ever meows. He loves purring though, even a tiny rub will set him off. Hmm, need a good name for him.

Pushkin?

(Cause daintiness and sideburns)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Eifert Posting posted:

Pushkin?

(Cause daintiness and sideburns)

Also that one Hark, a Vagrant with Lil' Pushkins at the cat show.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So if a cat throws up what looks like poop, that's a hairball? This isnt what cartoons have been telling me!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SynthOrange posted:

So if a cat throws up what looks like poop, that's a hairball? This isnt what cartoons have been telling me!

For a few years, my cat would get diarrhea for a few days before coughing up a hairball (or log, might be more appropriate). So the first time I saw one, I was equally happy and unhappy that there was a solid turd in the middle of the floor, only to discover that it was made of hair.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can cats be trained to hork up hairballs only in certain places?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

I doubt it. One of my cats nearly threw up on me once, so I pick her up while she was in the process of heaving and when it came out it was luckily on the floor and not on me or the power strip nearby.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

Your cat has a pretty decent coat, so you'll probably need to be prepared for random cleanups here and there. You should get 1) some malt hairball paste, 2) some carpet cleaner like Resolve or something, 3) buncha paper towels, and you should be set. Also, the more regularly you brush your cat, the fewer hairballs you'll need to deal with generally, so I'd recommend you get a furminator or furminator clone(they generally just don't have the "eject fur" button, otherwise they work the same).

SynthOrange posted:

Cats gonna puke when they wanna puke; use the mroWWWRRRR mrrroooOWWWWRRRR siren as a warning klaxon, and you might be able to grab the cat and get them to a hard floor in time.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
The dumb looking cat brush in the OP (Kong Zoom Groom) is actually pretty decent at hair removal (at least for my shorthairs), despite costing 8 bucks or whatever.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

duckfarts posted:

Cats gonna puke when they wanna puke; use the mroWWWRRRR mrrroooOWWWWRRRR siren as a warning klaxon, and you might be able to grab the cat and get them to a hard floor in time.
My last cat would horf a lot and give a kind of coughing noise before he did. I'd grab a sheet of paper or something solid, easy to carry, and easy to clean, and just follow him around placing it relatively under his chin. Sometimes he'd shy away but usually he'd horf on that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

As far as I can tell they don't know they're going to hairball until it happens. I can tell my cat's about to hairball because she will suddenly begin to make a break for outside only to stop and start coughing. Hairballs are likely to only be a once-every-few-months sort of affair though, the fun really starts when you get a cat who throws up for no apparent reason on a regular basis.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Pander posted:

My last cat would horf a lot and give a kind of coughing noise before he did. I'd grab a sheet of paper or something solid, easy to carry, and easy to clean, and just follow him around placing it relatively under his chin. Sometimes he'd shy away but usually he'd horf on that.

You had a special cat then! Every cat I've owned has deliberately moved away when I put paper under the chin to catch the vomit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the tips. As payment have this pic. Already brushing him lots, will look into a furminator and adding hairball control kibble / paste to his diet.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Hmm, he looks like he has long-ish fur. Might pay to see if you can test a furminator before buying one (though I think they're super cheap in the states, they're $100+ here) because my long haired cat rages out if I try to use the furminator on him. The teeth of the comb are too short to get through his fur and it just pulls his top coat painfully.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That is so totally a Pushkin. Look at him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's P. Puddington, Esq. The P could stand for Pushykin, or Pope, or Puffles.

Also I got one of those mitts with rubber bristles. Got a whole lot of fur out, which is good. Unfortunately he now thinks my hand is a valid hunting target. Ouch.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

SynthOrange posted:

Yes. These places are called carpet and belongings.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, despite being in a tiled bathroom, Pud ran over to the bathmat to barf. Oh cat.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

This is perfectly timed because Wendy just horked up a hairball in my bed last night while I was sleeping in it.

Was wondering why I kept smelling cat food, reached over and my hand landed in the hairball. It was rear end o'clock and I was way too tired to change the sheets so I slept on the couch instead and dealt with it in the morning when I woke up :negative:

Just wait until you move to find all of the places they've horked up hairballs or hid their toys. I had a cat who would bat her toy mice under the oven and when we found them, all of the fur had been baked off and they were just tailless little husks of leather (the first thing she'd do with the mice was to bite the tails off). Then the dried puke in places that I thought it was impossible for cats to reach or just hidden way under furniture.

Anybody have any tips for dealing with territorial aggression? Jimmy and Wendy keeps randomly ambushing each other and Jimmy flips out when Wendy goes to use something or whatever that he considers to be his and starts a fight. I'm going to buy a gigantic cat tree soon so Wendy has a place to call her own since she likes to climb on stuff and Jimmy's not much of a climber.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, despite being in a tiled bathroom, Pud ran over to the bathmat to barf. Oh cat.

Yeah, they'll always pick some place soft to hurl or piss on. I have semi-conditioned my cat to puke in the litterbox if I'm around because I chase him in there. If he's yowling like he's about to hork, all I have to do is get up and he's dashing off to the litterbox because I'm a big fat meanie. :mmmhmm:

But all too often I come home to a half-eaten pile of barf on the rug, so ymmv.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

He's P. Puddington, Esq. The P could stand for Pushykin, or Pope, or Puffles.

Also I got one of those mitts with rubber bristles. Got a whole lot of fur out, which is good. Unfortunately he now thinks my hand is a valid hunting target. Ouch.

Huh, I named my cat Pudding, but no Esq. I thought it was bizarre enough that nobody else would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As soon as I touch him, he's a sack of cat pudding laying on the floor. It made sense.