Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

AlistairCookie posted:

The sangria from Steve Raichlen's Barbeque Bible is the only (red) sangria you ever need to make. Ever. I will fight to the death anyone who says they have a better recipe. :colbert:

Ingredients

1 bottle red wine (dry, preferably Spanish)

1 cup cognac

1 cup gin (I like to use bombay sapphire)

1 cup super fine sugar (regular works if you don't have it)

3 cinnamon sticks

1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 lemon

1 orange
Preparation
Combine the wine, gin, cognac and 1 cup sugar in pitcher and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cut the peel, including the white pith, off of the lemon and orange and cut out the individual sections of fruit. Dice into small pieces.

Stir the diced fruit, fruit juices, and cinnamon sticks into the wine mixture. Taste. You may need to add more sugar at this point, or you may want to chill it first before you adjust sweetness. Let all steep in the fridge for several hours before serving to let the hotness of the alcohol mellow out and the flavors meld. If you don't want to fall down drunk after a couple glasses, cutting it with 7up works.

Awesome. Definitely going to try this and the other one posted earlier. I will say I didn't know there was anything but red sangria. May have to find white sangria recipe for after I make these 2, unless this one ends up being the only one I need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Chicken soup is method, not really recipe. Cut up some suitable veggies - carrots, onions, leek, garlic, celeriac, fennel, celery and parsley are all good, bring to boil with carcass, turn down heat and simmer for a couple of hours. Seasonings that are good include bay leaf, thyme, black pepper and clove spikes or allspice berries (go easy!). Like dumplings in there? Stir together some flour, salt, eggs and maybe baking powder to an almost fluid but just firm dough and place gently with wet spoons on top of simmering soup. Toss in noodles of choice as applicable. Check for seasoning. If it's "missing" something, try a few drops of vinegar or lemon juice.

I usually do my stock in my crockpot...nothing fancy or anything, just 4 celery stalks with leaves, 3 carrots, a fuckton of chicken bones and feet, 2-3 tbsps apple cider vinegar, and onions. (I get chicken feet from the Asian market near us. They are marketed as chicken paws!!! Makes me laugh every time!) Then I add maybe about 3-3.5 qts of water then let it cook for 12-24 hours on low, and add any salt needed. Then strain out the solids, then you portion it, and freeze. I get a lovely bowl of chicken jello goodness and its so fantastic! Better than anything I can get at the store :)

And according to what my grandma told me years ago...the vinegar in the water helps leach out the calcium and minerals etc from the bones of the bird so that its in the liquid, and therefore much better for us to absorb. Who am I to argue with her?

The question I have is the bay leaves, allspice berries etc...I assume they are for after cooking the stock? Or, are they for adding to the stock while it is being made? I love the idea of the allspice, or star anise etc...just not sure when I would add them.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
Recently, I've been having date nights with my boyfriend where we cook dinner together at my house.
It's a lot of fun, we both really enjoy it, and it's cheaper than going out to dinner all the time.
The problem is that I am vegetarian leaning towards vegan, and he eats meat. When I cook for myself, I usually just do REALLY bland to most people, boring, easy stuff like steamed veggies with rice or quinoa, salads with no dressing, plain wheat toast and oatmeal, etc. Obviously, none of that is really appealing to him or fun for us to cook.

I've made him vegetable potpies with parmesan cheese sauce, mushroom ravioli with pesto, garlic mashed potatoes, spicy chili roasted sliced potatoes, breaded and fried marinated tofu (actually,he made this one and it was SO GOOD), baked mac and cheese, little mini 'pizzas' with naan bread as the crust, fancy cheese and veggie quesodillas...He even ate bbq'd garden burgers and vegetarian baked beans and thought it was pretty okay(I think the beans are waaay too sweet, are the kind with pork a little more savory?).
Usually we'll have salad or seasoned veggies and bread on the side.

He LOVES everything I've made him so far, but I'm already starting to run outta ideas for what else we can cook together since my cooking knowledge is pretty limited. Googling vegetarian recipes usually turns up weird meat replacement stuff (ChikN nuggets? Soysage? Fakeon strips???) which is entirely unappealing to both of us, or mega healthy low fat granola hippy stuff which is unappealing to him.

Basically, I'd like some home-style comfort food type recipes that are going to taste good to him but still going to be vegetarian.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This book is by our very own forums vegan expert Dino:
http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083

edit: VVV do both!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 24, 2014

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Here is a book I think you should read by a fellow goon.

http://lbveg.com/freebook.php

drat beaten sorta. Stupid phone ;)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

copen posted:

Here is a book I think you should read by a fellow goon.

http://lbveg.com/freebook.php

drat beaten sorta. Stupid phone ;)

I had no idea that was written by a goon. What's their forum handle, do you know?

copen
Feb 2, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I had no idea that was written by a goon. What's their forum handle, do you know?

Look above my post one.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Vouching for Alternative Vegan. I get a lot out of it and am not remotely vegan. His kale soup sorta changed my entire perspective on the versatility of greens and also cumin seeds.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

copen posted:

Look above my post one.

Unless I'm missing something, Dino wrote Alt Veg not LB Veg.

e: also, Alternative Vegan is an amazing book. It will teach you how to cook again.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Thanks everyone for the input on "Modernist Cuisine at Home"! I just realized that it'd be 220$ incl shipping to Australia (bit too high for our small group), and that I probably can't get it organised and shipped fast enough, so I'll probably skip it for now. Maybe I'll ask a friend from the US to haul it over when she visits next :D...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

plasmoduck posted:

Thanks everyone for the input on "Modernist Cuisine at Home"! I just realized that it'd be 220$ incl shipping to Australia (bit too high for our small group), and that I probably can't get it organised and shipped fast enough, so I'll probably skip it for now. Maybe I'll ask a friend from the US to haul it over when she visits next :D...

Check book depository. Free shipping to Aus and usually same price as everyone else in the world pays. IIRC mc@h is like $140 usd on there.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
My grocery store has whole chickens on sale - as in, really whole, heads and feet included. Is there anything cool I could do with these chicken parts?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

toe knee hand posted:

My grocery store has whole chickens on sale - as in, really whole, heads and feet included. Is there anything cool I could do with these chicken parts?

Scare your friends, stare at the bird and think about how much it really does like a dinosaur. If you're ambitious you could try to make a chicken feet dish, but I'd probably throw them in with the rest of the carcass for stock.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Can anyone throw some good beginner recipes at me? Open to just about anything, but I'd prefer things that are cheap. Maybe homemade macaroni? Something with beans?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think a chicken head is worth much but feet are good for stock. Or you can eat them, lots of Asian cultures have recipes. I'm not a huge fan and would just keep them with your stock bits.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

What can I do with a goat? It looks like stew is the name of the game, is there anything else where goat particularly shines?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I like turtles posted:

What can I do with a goat? It looks like stew is the name of the game, is there anything else where goat particularly shines?

Curry.

Also makes fantastic dry cured ham but that is probably more effort than most people are willing to do.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I accidentally bought a big can (16oz?) of coconut water+lime when I was at the store.

I can't think of anything that needs both of those. Maybe a marinade for fajitas? I've no idea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sounds like a good thing to pour rum in to me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I like turtles posted:

Birria. Still a goat stew, but the best of them, and I feel it deserves particular mention.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like a good thing to pour rum in to me.

Not to empty quote but.. this.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Elderbean posted:

Can anyone throw some good beginner recipes at me? Open to just about anything, but I'd prefer things that are cheap. Maybe homemade macaroni? Something with beans?

Yo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf3yN39L8hM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Le1XUPnaL4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXcsHj1l-Pc <-- Make this one first omg.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Making some short ribs and need advice for an easy side. Normally it's mashed potatoes, but trying to healthy it up a bit.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

nwin posted:

Making some short ribs and need advice for an easy side. Normally it's mashed potatoes, but trying to healthy it up a bit.

/\/\
Are you braising them in a traditional, French-ish way with stock and wine? Make mashed parsnips or mashed sweet potatoes (minus additional sugar, just salt and a bit of butter and milk), or roasted parsnips. Mmmm....parsnips. If you're doing Korean braised shortribs, Korean food is full of side dishes and condiments if you consult with Professor Google.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sorry-sous vide. Roasted parsnips sound good though! Maybe some kale to go with it. Thanks!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Elderbean posted:

What do you like to eat? This question comes up a lot so there's a lot of different directions to run with it. The Help! I'm poor and I want to make good food! thread is a great place to start, and there are lots of bean and cheap meat ideas in there. There's also this bean megathread which has lots of good, detailed info on beans. If you look around for foods you like (cuisines, ingredients, methods you feel comfortable with) there's a whole hell of a lot more to look for. Epicurious.com also has a solid library to pull from as well and a great search engine to specify ingredients and stuff, though some of the recipes you come upon in there are Bon Appetit recipes that call for weird expensive poo poo and labor-intensive methods.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I need help, I got like over 2 cups of Yogurt that I want to use by February 19th, but I'm a vegetarian at the moment so I need good vegetarian recipes involving Yogurt. One of the only conditions is that I live in the middle of Kansas so a lot of the really exotic ingredients (or really a lot of ingredients) would either be really expensive or hard to find.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

nwin posted:

Sorry-sous vide. Roasted parsnips sound good though! Maybe some kale to go with it. Thanks!

If you still like mash, parsnip and butternut squash mash is really nice or similar root veg

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Strain it, Scarybagels. Then you'll have 1/2 cup of yoghurt cheese.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

How about eating the yoghurt with some fruit or honey or cereals? Jam is also good.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I eat my yogurt with just flax seeds spooned in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I whipped up a banana and some yogurt and used that in cornbread once instead of milk. It was really good.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
After spending five years in Canada, the one thing I brought back with me is that there's a huge difference between lovely and amazing maple syrup. I also learned that it's amazing in my morning coffee, and therefore always have a ton of quality maple syrup in the house. That's pretty much all I use it for though. What are some good uses for maple syrup other than the traditional pancake slathering?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Curry.

Also makes fantastic dry cured ham but that is probably more effort than most people are willing to do.

Interesting. I wonder why pretty much every single goat recipe is a stew/sauce heavy affair? I suppose I've seen sausage too, which practically is just another thing to do with heartier meat and/or scraps. Is it because they're tiny little buggers that move around a lot compared to pigs and cows?
If they're not all stew meat, what cuts on goat are worth working with?

I mean, I like stew as much as anyone, but I'm somewhat hesitant to process a goat if I'm getting the entire cut weight in stew meat.
I've got a little ham, a coppa and a lomo dry aging right now in a spare fridge, so a ham may not be a bad idea.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Pour it over nuts you're roasting in a pan for a nice snack. Adding chili powder is also an option.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I need help, I got like over 2 cups of Yogurt that I want to use by February 19th, but I'm a vegetarian at the moment so I need good vegetarian recipes involving Yogurt. One of the only conditions is that I live in the middle of Kansas so a lot of the really exotic ingredients (or really a lot of ingredients) would either be really expensive or hard to find.

You can use yogurt instead of sour cream for a lot of things. Although be careful since yogurt can curdle. I put yogurt in my mashed potatoes, it gives it a nice tangy flavor. There's also Gāteau au Yaourt, a yogurt cake. You really don't taste the yogurt too much, maybe a little, but it's definitely mostly cakey and a pinch of yogurt.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

Strain it, Scarybagels. Then you'll have 1/2 cup of yoghurt cheese.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

How about eating the yoghurt with some fruit or honey or cereals? Jam is also good.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I eat my yogurt with just flax seeds spooned in.

Eeyo posted:

You can use yogurt instead of sour cream for a lot of things. Although be careful since yogurt can curdle. I put yogurt in my mashed potatoes, it gives it a nice tangy flavor. There's also Gāteau au Yaourt, a yogurt cake. You really don't taste the yogurt too much, maybe a little, but it's definitely mostly cakey and a pinch of yogurt.

Thanks I will think through these, I will look for some sour cream entrees and replace that with yogurt to see how it goes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have a 20 lb bag of flour and a 20 lb bag of rice, neither of which are easily resealable or anything. What's the best way to store this stuff?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I bought buckets at Home Depot. They sell kids you can hammer on that twist on/off that are really air tight or whatever.

Needed 2 for a 50lb bag of bread flour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I bought buckets at Home Depot. They sell kids you can hammer on that twist on/off that are really air tight or whatever.

Needed 2 for a 50lb bag of bread flour.

are those food safe?

I use similar buckets but ones I got from restaurant supply stores.