Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Let's put it this way: if he's faking, then sending him an email will just give him more of the attention that he wants, and it won't help because he won't care how he gets the attention, just that he got it. If he's legitimately mentally ill, then sending him an email won't help because his illness is not one you can logic away with words, and your email would probably do far more harm than good.

In fact, that might be the best summation. No matter what, sending an email will do far more harm than good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Palisader posted:

Let's put it this way: if he's faking, then sending him an email will just give him more of the attention that he wants, and it won't help because he won't care how he gets the attention, just that he got it. If he's legitimately mentally ill, then sending him an email won't help because his illness is not one you can logic away with words, and your email would probably do far more harm than good.

In fact, that might be the best summation. No matter what, sending an email will do far more harm than good.

Yeah, this. If you think he's a danger to himself or others, call an ambulance on him. Otherwise leave him the hell alone.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Hibiscus, I have to thank you for introducing me to the Aristasia internet rabbit hole. They're an endless font of batshit. And this web site definitely belongs in this thread: http://sundaughterpress.com. The author's apparently self-published novel is described as follows:

quote:

On one level a wild fantasy adventure, Goldenhead considers the subject of imaginary friends and imaginary worlds. Are they really imaginary, or are we sometimes in contact with realities that go deeper than the “real” world in which we find ourselves?

And those of us who don’t feel we “belong” here in this mundane, patriarchal world: could it be simply because we don’t?

Goldenhead introduces an amazing all-girl cast of characters, many of whom resemble anime characters, because anime is not just an art style but the “look” of certain alternate realities:

There's a photo toward the bottom of the page of a woman at an "international book tour" with an anime character inserted into the picture, and the author is billed as the first ever "anime character author." I rolled my eyes and thought "How lame, lots of authors have written about anime characters." Then I looked at the author's Amazon.com page and realized no, the anime character herself is purported to be the author of this book.

ETA: A question just occurred to me. Does it ever happen that relationships within this strange subculture turn out to be "homosexual" by their own definition? That is, do blondes ever fall in love with other blondes, and brunettes with other brunettes? Do the Aristasians consider this wrong?

pookel fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 8, 2014

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

pookel posted:

There's a photo toward the bottom of the page of a woman at an "international book tour" with an anime character inserted into the picture, and the author is billed as the first ever "anime character author." I rolled my eyes and thought "How lame, lots of authors have written about anime characters." Then I looked at the author's Amazon.com page and realized no, the anime character herself is purported to be the author of this book.

Want your mind really blown? Scroll up to the pictures of Miss Martindale. The small one, or the one with the whip. Or just watch the video. Now scroll back down and look at the woman right next to the anime character. Tell me what you see.

I still feel vaguely responsible for this happening. I just the other day remembered linking one of them an article on otakukin, in addition to the otherkin thing, a few years before any of this happened. I am become death, the destroyer of subcultures...

pookel posted:

ETA: A question just occurred to me. Does it ever happen that relationships within this strange subculture turn out to be "homosexual" by their own definition? That is, do blondes ever fall in love with other blondes, and brunettes with other brunettes? Do the Aristasians consider this wrong?
There was never any great deal made of it. In practice, I believe, if two people of the same gender developed feelings for each other, one of them would just create another persona of a different sex. I have no verifiable proof of this, but it seems very likely.

Nowadays, they've abandoned romance entirely. No flirting, nothing like that. Instead, they practice amity, which is friendly love.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Hibiscus posted:

Nowadays, they've abandoned romance entirely. No flirting, nothing like that. Instead, they practice amity, which is friendly love.
I saw a lot of this in the literature, but I also noticed that in practice, on the forums, there seemed to be a lot of reference to having relationships and falling in love, and discussion about how to meet nice blondes if you were a brunette and vice versa.

My mind was really blown by that Shining Maidens site, where they posted chat transcripts in which people apparently spent hours and hours dissecting episodes of Precure and attributing profound meaning to everything in it, while sneering at "Tellurians" who don't understand its deeper meaning.

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

pookel posted:

I saw a lot of this in the literature, but I also noticed that in practice, on the forums, there seemed to be a lot of reference to having relationships and falling in love, and discussion about how to meet nice blondes if you were a brunette and vice versa.
You must be talking about the older sites.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Hibiscus posted:

Want your mind really blown? Scroll up to the pictures of Miss Martindale. The small one, or the one with the whip. Or just watch the video. Now scroll back down and look at the woman right next to the anime character. Tell me what you see.

Well the trailers on that self-publishing book site lead to the same channel that uploaded the documentary (and links to all the heritage material) you posted. So I guess if that's really her at the book signing she's essentially left her old persona for a new one. One full of saucer eyed girls who exist in our reality but unfortunately seem to be stuck in T-poses.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Hibiscus posted:

I still feel vaguely responsible for this happening. I just the other day remembered linking one of them an article on otakukin, in addition to the otherkin thing, a few years before any of this happened. I am become death, the destroyer of subcultures...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don't think you destroyed all of Aristasia; the worst thing you did was help foment schism, or a Cultural Revolution. This blog states that the New Aristasia, aka Chelouranya, has abandoned both the original concept and name of the subculture; it's basically an otaku offshoot of the original. The Aristasia Forum looks like the PreCure stuff never happened; it's not exactly hopping, but there's some activity from yesterday, so it's not totally dead. Whoever is maintaining Aristasia.net launched the forum, so someone is trying to revive it to its pre-internet state.

I'm not going to lie: I kind of want to join the forum. Not to troll--I don't know if I'd even post anything. I'm just morbidly fascinated by the whole concept of Aristasia. Actually, I kind of want to support them, since it's such a unique subculture. Like others have said, it's a breath of fresh air. I'd actually be a little disappointed if it had been swallowed by Japanese cartoons and Lolita fashion. Anyway, I salute the lady/ladies of Aristasia who are doing their damnedest to save it. (From here; I'm not joining the forum just yet.)(It should go without saying, but NO ONE INVADE THEIR FORUM.)

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don't think you destroyed all of Aristasia; the worst thing you did was help foment schism, or a Cultural Revolution. This blog states that the New Aristasia, aka Chelouranya, has abandoned both the original concept and name of the subculture; it's basically an otaku offshoot of the original. The Aristasia Forum looks like the PreCure stuff never happened; it's not exactly hopping, but there's some activity from yesterday, so it's not totally dead. Whoever is maintaining Aristasia.net launched the forum, so someone is trying to revive it to its pre-internet state.
I intend to keep watching, no matter what happens. Watching BOTH sides of it, too, both the Chelouranyans and the Aristasia.net crowd. It's just too fascinating to turn away. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens, in this thread.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I'm not going to lie: I kind of want to join the forum. Not to troll--I don't know if I'd even post anything. I'm just morbidly fascinated by the whole concept of Aristasia. Actually, I kind of want to support them, since it's such a unique subculture. Like others have said, it's a breath of fresh air. I'd actually be a little disappointed if it had been swallowed by Japanese cartoons and Lolita fashion. Anyway, I salute the lady/ladies of Aristasia who are doing their damnedest to save it. (From here; I'm not joining the forum just yet.)(It should go without saying, but NO ONE INVADE THEIR FORUM.)
I feel exactly the same. Needless to say, if someone from here DOES invade their forum, I will probably feel even more guilty than I already do. But seriously, if you want to join, go for it - be polite, civilized, just mention that you're curious, and they'll probably talk to you. I'm thinking of trying it myself. Aristasia never had the garrison mentality that soulbonders/multiples/otherkin developed. People have tried to raid them and whatnot, but they usually just quietly ban the people from their boards/chats/whatever and go on with their lives. That's another reason they're so refreshing, I suppose.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Hibiscus posted:

You must be talking about the older sites.
The posts are from the last year, on a site called "Heartbook" which bills itself as the Aristasia Social Network. There's a lot of anime talk there, too.

No talk of sex, but this, for example, is pretty relationship-focused:

quote:

Thank you Miss Vargas for your contribution. I find it rather interesting. I do notice how pit brunettes tend to deck themselves in masculine attire. It can at times be easy to find them this way. I think my biggest complaint about pit brunettes is that they are so focused on creating an image that they can become quite crude. My vision of a perfect brunette is one with a sense of good clean humor and wit. I believe a brunette should be articulate and well mannered as well as sensitive to a blond’s occasionally timid behavior. Blondies seldom say what they want in mixed company and will often go along with the general consensus of the crowd lest anyone become unsettled. If a brunette is gentle maiden enough to ask the blond separately, she would certainly win a piece of her heart! I have seldom met a brunette whose gruffness has not intimidated me into retreat no matter how fascinated I become.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

So basically, brunettes should act like total gentlemen, eh?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Unless you want to bang another gentleman, then you must become a lady

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

:psyduck: This is both fascinating and really, really stupid at the same time. But stupid in a way different way from things like headmates and such.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Actually, I kind of want to support them, since it's such a unique subculture. Like others have said, it's a breath of fresh air. I'd actually be a little disappointed if it had been swallowed by Japanese cartoons and Lolita fashion. Anyway, I salute the lady/ladies of Aristasia who are doing their damnedest to save it.

It's a real shame that they fell apart because I would have loved a visit to their 'embassy' in London. I bet they had pamphlets and everything. :3: The Chelouranyans don't seem to be as interesting, but that might be because their brand of insanity seems much more common.

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013
Bonus: Aristasia Talks to Otherkin
This might interest you guys. Directly after I introduced them to the concept of otherkin and otakukin, they summarily adopted it and declared themselves to be "intermorphic otherkin." After this, right after this, they made a concerted attempt to recruit in the otherkin community. The idea was that otherkin may include some people who thought they were fae or elves or whatever, but in reality, had been Aristasian all along. If you buy wholly into the whole metaphysics behind the otherkin concept, it's a fair assumption to make, I guess, but I'm no expert on this stuff. Anyways, they started a blog about femme otherkin: http://otherkin.wordpress.com/

Check it out. There's a lot of interesting stuff there. It intrigues me because it's the (mostly polite because reasons) clash between an older, established (but changing) subculture with strict boundaries and a newer, very different subculture which has literally no boundaries. Needless to say, they didn't go over too well, and I don't believe a single otherkin joined them. Many years later, a few of them seemed to have warmed to the idea, but the blog has long since been abandoned.

The way things are going, they're probably going to discover Tumblr multiples and declare all their personas to be headmates. It's like watching two galaxies collide and one cannibalizes the other because it's bigger. The sad thing about it is that the smaller galaxy is more unique and interesting, but alas, it is gone. Or is it? We'll see.

Hibiscus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 10, 2014

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Hibiscus posted:

Bonus: Aristasia Talks to Otherkin
This might interest you guys. Directly after I introduced them to the concept of otherkin and otakukin, they summarily adopted it and declared themselves to be "intermorphic otherkin." After this, right after this, they made a concerted attempt to recruit in the otherkin community. The idea was that otherkin may include some people who thought they were fae or elves or whatever, but in reality, had been Aristasian all along. If you buy wholly into the whole metaphysics behind the otherkin concept, it's a fair assumption to make, I guess, but I'm no expert on this stuff. Anyways, they started a blog about femme otherkin: http://otherkin.wordpress.com/

Check it out. There's a lot of interesting stuff there. It intrigues me because it's the (mostly polite because reasons) clash between an older, established (but changing) subculture with strict boundaries and a newer, very different subculture which has literally no boundaries. Needless to say, they didn't go over too well, and I don't believe a single otherkin joined them. Many years later, a few of them seemed to have warmed to the idea, but the blog has long since been abandoned.

The way things are going, they're probably going to discover Tumblr multiples and declare all their personas to be headmates. It's like watching two galaxies collide and one cannibalizes the other because it's bigger. The sad thing about it is that the smaller galaxy is more unique and interesting, but alas, it is gone. Or is it? We'll see.

I'm okay with the original incarnation quietly existing somewhere the Internet can't touch it, especially if the very idea of it still being out there drives the new kawaii school crazy. The website and forums being there as a reminder is something, but the physical meeting places back in the day sounded pretty neat.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
Hey! So, sometime last year I started telling a personal story in this thread and I had completely forgotten to finish it. So, I'm going to fix that. If you don't remember the events of Kitty and Jorge (who I will refer to as Kay and Jay from here on), the previous posts can be found here and here. I do not claim these stories are at all more interesting than anything else posted here, but, I think people could find this worth reading. Also, I fully admit, that in retrospect, a lot of what happened that was worth telling was caused by my own doing.

So, moving on from that, this is going to be about probably the most awkward conversation I've ever been a part of, and it is completely and entirely my own fault.

Part 3. 90 minutes of nothing.

So, for the sake of summary, we have two people. Kay, a young woman who was obsessed with a one-dimensional anime mad scientist, and Jay, the goony as all get out European nerd who organized the silly cause that brought us all together.

To put a bit of perspective of when exactly this was happening, the majority of the events of my stories happen over a short span of time. My story, admittedly, happened right around the time this very thread began. Back when Uglynoodles was sharing stories about Denise. And I will admit, that this thread did spur my curiosity and made me think "How deep could this go?", and I probably wouldn't have done most of the things I had without reading those stories first. Which turned out to be both a good thing and a bad thing. But mostly a bad thing.

So, at this point, we have someone who needs motivation, and someone who needs a more firm grip on reality. Kay had confessed to me that she had a bit of a crush on Jay. I decided to play this weird sort of matchmaker thing, and see if the two could benefit if they became closer. I thought having an actual human to like, even if they live thousands of miles away, would be better for Kay than some some anime villain, and hey, if he had a girl who liked him, maybe Jay could start working on improving himself. I talked to Jay in private if he had any interest in Kay, and he said yes. To be honest, I was surprised. As far as I know, the only interaction Jay and Kay had at that point was Kay's passive-depressive messages in the group about how sad she is. Either way, this gave me the A-OK to go forward to try to get the two together.

So, I got the two together in private, and they started chatting. Well, 'chatting' really isn't the right word to describe what happened. You know those sitcoms where there's a scene between two characters and one of them makes the whole thing incredibly awkward and the other guy clearly doesn't want to be there and want it to end? Well, imagine one of those, but with three people, and every one of them making it awkward, and the two of them clearly having no idea what to do. I think the entire conversation lasted about 90 minutes, and I don't think I've seen so much nothing said in so many words.

Both of them had something they wanted to say, neither of them knew how to say it, and then there's the awkward third wheel (me, in this case) pushing both sides to get on with it already. On a functioning hard drive on a lovely old laptop somewhere in my closet lies a .txt file with the chatlog from that conversation. I just had to share it with a close friend of mine, who I'll call M. M just read it and laughed his rear end off, because it was really funny. But, it was also incredibly uncomfortable. But, that's where the humor lies.

Oh, and no progress was actually made. Neither admitted to saying anything, and nothing I said helped, so I just gave up, and things went back to normal pretty quickly. I think everyone involved (myself included until I re-read my old posts about it in the thread) sort of just suppressed it.

Part 4 "He's dead! For real! Forever!"

After the solid 90 minutes of nothing, the group went back to normal. I casually talked with Kay sometimes, and while I struggled to keep things interesting with her sometimes, it wasn't that bad.

And then, out of the blue one evening, a week or so later, she sends me a message. "He's dead! For real! Forever!". At this point I'm more curious than anything because I'm just weary of her poo poo at this point. She confesses to me that Izzy has killed Vexen. Or maybe he died some other way, but he's dead is the point. And she was genuinely upset about this. I tried to comfort her and be supportive, but, what do you even say about something like that, beyond the same stuff you generally give when someone gets dumped?

If you have forgotten, Izzy is the acquaintance of Kay who runs the Facebook roleplaying accounts that she seems to believe is the real thing channeled through the Astral Plane or something akin to that. Izzy is also really mean to Kay. I would not be surprised in the least, from what I was told, if Izzy 'killed off' Vexen purely to upset her. Or maybe she simply decided there was no more entertainment in RPing that character, so she 'killed him off' to just be done so she can do something else. I can't say.

Anyways, I end up doing something incredibly stupid in a vain attempt to break her out of this cycle. I ask her to talk to Izzy about this, see if they can reach some sort of understanding. Maybe if they have a serious heart-to-heart about this whole thing, she'll see that this is all fake, since, as far as I know, Izzy may not have ever perpetuated the idea that it was real, and Kay just assumed it was. That didn't work. All that happened was Izzy yelled at Kay, or something like that, she refused to give me details. So, I did something even dumber.

I said "I'll talk to her."

And she said "Okay."

And about 3 hours later, I got a text on my phone from some unknown number telling me; "Do yourself a favor and get away from [Kay]."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

FighterKnuckles posted:

On a functioning hard drive on a lovely old laptop somewhere in my closet lies a .txt file with the chatlog from that conversation. I just had to share it with a close friend of mine, who I'll call M. M just read it and laughed his rear end off, because it was really funny. But, it was also incredibly uncomfortable. But, that's where the humor lies.

:justpost: :allears:

I have a question though, for this little matchmaker conversation, how come you didn't leave the room? Did you think that by being there, you could be their guide to lead them to friendship and beyond?

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

sweeperbravo posted:

:justpost: :allears:

I have a question though, for this little matchmaker conversation, how come you didn't leave the room? Did you think that by being there, you could be their guide to lead them to friendship and beyond?

I was originally going to leave to leave them to their own devices, but it became immediately obvious that they needed a little 'push' to get anywhere. Granted, it didn't actually help, but, eh, I feel good intentions were the cause of a lot of the problems in this story. As for the chatlog, the laptop its on is dead as a doornail, but I know I got all the important stuff out. If I can find it, sure I'll share it.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

FighterKnuckles posted:

And about 3 hours later, I got a text on my phone from some unknown number telling me; "Do yourself a favor and get away from [Kay]."

I've been lurking this thread for ages now and can't believe these people actually exist, that can't be the end ? what happened next!

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
This will probably be the last post, since there's not much left to tell at this point. I just thought that was too good of a cliffhanger.

Part 5: "I found myself!"

So, I just got a text on my cell phone from some unknown number. I was kind of freaking out, just because this kind of got a bit too serious for my tastes. I immediately asked her about all this, and she said that she gave my number to someone so we could chat. Now, I have no idea why she thought giving someone's cell phone number was a good idea, and I had entirely forgotten I even had given her my number in the first place, but I decided to roll with it. The guy knows nothing else about me, so, if worse comes to worse, I can block the number and that's that.

So, I asked for more information. He was pretty plain about it. Kay was way more manipulative than I had known and that sticking your neck out for her is never worthwhile. I was wasting my time and just causing trouble. It never felt like a threat, but more of a warning. Personally, I didn't believe him that Kay was manipulative. I mean, considering everything I had known about her, I could never take her seriously. So, unless she intentionally made herself weak and vulnerable as hell, in which case... I dunno. Didn't seem to make sense to me. Maybe he fell for her Astral Plane bullshit. After a few more messages back and forth, I told him I'd leave her be, since I really have no idea how deep the rabbit hole really goes. I did flat tell him "thanks for the warning, but I'm going to block you now." and he accepted it, seeming content. His messages seemed a bit angry, but it didn't seem he was mad at me, necessarily.

One thing that I did know for fact, however, was that Kay gave out my number to someone I didn't ask to speak with, which means I'm clearly running in the dark without a torch. Did she publicly post my number in some other group? Did this guy have access to the account of the girl I asked to talked to? I really have no idea what exactly I poked with my meddling. I was getting pretty uncomfortable, honestly. To be honest, I never found out what that was all about, and I quite like it that way.

I talked to Kay about it the next day, and just flat out told her never to do that again. She agreed, and things lulled for a bit.

We talked less often, school started, and things seemed to fall into a bit of normalcy. It was the weekend, and for whatever reason I got a bit curious about Kay, so I sent her a hello. She told me that things were looking up for her, and I had a bit of hope, somewhere in the back of my brain. She said that "she found herself", maybe she found some passion in life. This hope was quickly and swiftly dashed.

She told me she knew why everything bad has happened to her. It all led up to this. Her explanation for everything, everything bad in her life, was because it was a test. A trial. For her future. She had realized that she was a reincarnation of someone named Princess Willow. Knowing her, it was stolen from some anime or something, but I didn't press for the origins, nor care to find out. Probably magical. At this point I had a hard time swallowing her poo poo and just sort of smiled and nodded. She said soon she would fully awaken as Princess Willow, but it'll be a few years before this will happen.

My only concern was if this involved like, killing herself to transform into Willow or something insane like that, or other sort of harm, but she said that it was safe. That's good enough for me, I guess. At this point I figured out something. "Why am I here? Why am I even doing this? What's even the point? I don't enjoy talking to her, the trainwreck has gotten boring." So, I just kind of stopped.

I think I spoke to her a few more times after that, mostly because she said hi and I didn't want to be rude. She did tell me she found a boyfriend, which I was pretty unmoved by at this point. This she told me her boyfriend was THIS GUY and I don't think I even flinched. Conversation pretty much ended after that. This whole thing ended with a whimper.

The project that brought us together died with a whimper as well, as people lost interest, as these kinds of things usually do. I'm still friends with one person I met on there, but the rest, not so much.

Part 6: Retrospection

Honestly, this whole thing was pretty stupid, no matter how you slice it. If you compare my story to pretty much any other story this thread has shared, you'll see these came from people you kind of lumped with because you were awkward at a younger age, or roomed with, or worked with. Generally something you couldn't control. With me, I only continued this because I was in it from the word go for these stupid kind of stories. This was a pretty dumb move of me. At the very least, a lot of this started out as an attempt to genuinely help her. I thought maybe I could knock her out of this strange and especially unhealthy path, but it's pretty clear I didn't even leave a dent, and who knows? I might've actually pushed her further down that path.

I think I was just as much of a problem as Jay or Kay was, really. In most of these stories, the trainwreck was pushed upon them, in this instance, I just pushed the trainwreck directly onto my toe. I like to imagine I've matured a fair bit since the events of this happened. I can just sort of chalk it up to a 17 year old guy doing something stupid for the wrong reasons, I suppose.

I'm not really one to wonder a lot of 'what ifs', but considering how flat out weird that whole sequence is with the texts was, and how bizarrely out of place it was compared to the rest of my interactions with her, I do wonder what I missed, what I was never informed on, what was really going on with her. But, that seems to be for the best.

So, I suppose that's the end of my story. It wasn't the most interesting, nor did I have any funny pictures, but I hope you got a kick out of reading it.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Could have turned out a lot worse bud, seems you were on the outskirts of the crazy and that guy who gave the warning was probably trying to save you from it. Hell, I know I've done something similar a few times when Kry tried to expand her little universe to other people, although I don't think I did it anywhere near as ominously. Still, I can appreciate wanting to help folk, it's pretty common to believe that you could be the one to help fix them. Don't think less of yourself for trying. In your place a lot of us would (or have done) the same.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It was interesting to see it from a kind of outside perspective for once.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Love this thread.

I have a story for this thread. It's a bit surreal and a bit depressing. I'd like to note that, yes, I'm also kind of crazy.

I once belonged to a yoshi forum. That's right, I belonged to a forum about the dinosaur guy from Mario. I used to be all about it when I was 14. I met some interesting characters there, like the guy who had a fetish for being made into a sandwich. I stopped going for a few years, then decided to return out of boredom in the summer when I was 18. There I met a new member named Jahn. It turned out we had a lot in common and we hit it off instantly. He was there to troll the yoshi community, and I thought that was just wild. I introduced him to my friends (via the internet), including my ex, Eric. Eventually, after about two weeks, he started talking about meeting up. That raised a few red flags to me, but I rolled with it, desperate to hang out with someone. So he greyhound bussed his way over to my house. My dad and I went to pick him up. Instantly, I could tell something was off about the guy. My dad could too I guess, because later after we got back to my house he'd ask me if I was disappointed. He got to my house, and from there a few interesting things happened.

My little sisters and cousin were there hanging out for the summer holiday. My little sister came up to me and basically shanked me with a stick. While I was laying there in pain, Jahn attempted to get my sister to shank him. He really begged her. My sister would not comply.

We wandered off to hang out alone together, and as soon as we did he gives me a gift and asked me if I saw us having a future together. I politely told him that I saw him as a great friend but didn't see him like that. He started crying and called his mother. So he goes outside and starts sobbing to his mother, which my mother noticed.

My mother is crazy, and I know it. I didn't know it at the time of this story, however. So when she yelled at me and told me I was a disgraceful, terrible, evil person for rejecting such a CuUuUtE boy who came all the way from another state to see me, I cried a lot and believed it. After calming down, I went and told Jahn I was giving him a second chance, per my mother's orders.

I called my friend Andy and told him the situation, how I was uncomfortable around Jahn and really needed someone. Andy came and picked us up and we actually had a decent time for a while. We got Pizza Hut, I basically cold shouldered Jahn (which was a dick move on my part), we play around in the Rutherford B. Hayes official park, and then go to my friend Andy's house.

Jahn would drop a condom casually in front of me and try to gauge my reaction. My friend Andy cracked up, ruining Jahn's clever innuendo.

I ended up sleeping next to Jahn, and he begged me to kiss him. I kept telling him I wasn't comfortable with that, but he eventually wore me down and I quickly kissed him.

Sometime during the evening, I guess my tonsil exploded because I could taste blood in the back of my mouth and had a spontaneous rager of a sore throat. I was not having a good time.

Jahn took pictures of literally everything. Barns. Corn fields. Another barn and cornfield. Soybean field. My pizza. There was one picture of a human being for every ten pictures of cornfields.

We drove back to my place. I left Andy and Jahn alone for a second to talk to my parents. Jahn starts playing his piano compositions for Andy. I tell my mom and dad that I really don't feel comfortable around Jahn. My mother explodes, tells me once again how terrible of a human being I am and a whole bunch of other stuff. It was literally fifteen minutes of just pure hatred directed at me. It deeply upset me.

Meanwhile, Jahn and Andy are listening to piano music in my living room.

I make a scene and run out to the garage, where I loudly threaten to commit suicide.

My dad has to talk me down from hanging myself.

I return after calming down to find Andy and Jahn still listening to piano music. They had no idea anything just happened.

Not much else happened after that. We ate at Wendy's. Andy left after that. I showed Jahn my room and while we were up there he wouldn't let me leave my room until I kissed him again. I made up a bunch of excuses, told him I was uncomfortable, but nothing got through to him. I eventually kissed him to get out of my room. Not long after that, he got back on the bus and left. He was literally on a bus for longer than he was at my house.

I didn't talk to Jahn much after that. He went on to date my ex Eric, transition to female, and become a hipster. I hear she's (now named Foebe) doing well now. Her version of this visit is hilarious, she always says that she met all of my friends and that they were really seedy. Wish I could remember more details from her version of the story.

Fluorescent fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 25, 2014

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Is the New Age drivel about creating "Thoughtforms" the same thing to Otherkin "Tupla"? Because if so holy poo poo, confession time, I apparently was doing that back when I was an idiot teenager in a relationship with a blind wiccan.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Fluorescent posted:

rapeculture.txt
:glomp:
It's not because you're crazy. That was an incredibly lovely situation you were put in. You got through it, and are rid of this guy. (Hopefully you're rid of your mother too, because jesus christ)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Fooma posted:

Is the New Age drivel about creating "Thoughtforms" the same thing to Otherkin "Tupla"? Because if so holy poo poo, confession time, I apparently was doing that back when I was an idiot teenager in a relationship with a blind wiccan.

The "thoughtform" stuff is based on some early 20th century writer's semi-understanding of Tibetan tulpa meditations, yeah.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo there's so much wrong with that story I don't know where to begin... I'm seconding hyperhazard about you getting away from awful people.

Fluorescent posted:

I met some interesting characters there, like the guy who had a fetish for being made into a sandwich.

I think this entire subforum would explode in giddy delight if you could confirm whether this guy used phrases such as "foreverially delitized."

Party Spock
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody have a logical time

Fluorescent posted:

rapeculture.txt

:stonk:

I am so sorry, dude. I hope you don't mind me saying but your mother sounds kind of toxic. I hope you're out of there by now.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah your mum sucks a lot, sounds like those issues with Jahn wouldn't have really happened if she hadn't told you it was your job to be molested by him or whatever.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
Wow, I'm surprised by the responses. I always thought I was the one that looked bad and crazy from the story. :v: I no longer have regular contact with my mother, we talk very infrequently ever since I called her out on a lot of stuff that she did to me growing up. :toot: Thanks for the concern. I really appreciate it. I'm doing really well now. I feel validated seeing that my mother, in the whole couple sentences she appears, comes across as horrible. I always second guess myself and tell myself "it wasn't really that bad."

@Corridor: I think you're right, because Jahn was trying to go home after I turned his offer to be my boyfriend down.

Sorry for posting a :smith: story.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Fluorescent posted:

Sorry for posting a :smith: story.

All of our stories are :smith: stories. That's just the nature of the thread, don't let it get you down. You're away from the crazy now.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

TunaSpleen posted:

I think this entire subforum would explode in giddy delight if you could confirm whether this guy used phrases such as "foreverially delitized."
Oh god, this guy :gonk:. Didn't he want to be tied up and turned into lunch meat?

Fooma posted:

Post away, my friend.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fluorescent posted:

[Story about truly horrible mother]
I'm just going to leave this here, because holy hell.

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013
So, update. In a text message about a month ago, The Atlantean Meditation Master told me to keep the giant rose quartz he gave me. I didn't know what to do with it, so I sent it to a friend in California who collects such things. About three days ago, he texted me again asking for the stone back. I told him I was very sorry, but that I sent it away. He replied "gently caress your mother." I didn't respond. A while later I get an email from him going on about how horrible I am for not keeping the stone and how his love spell is for the highest good. He also said that everyone in the OTO is an alcoholic because we have alcohol at Temple. I was going to respond and say that yes, we do drink, but that I've never seen anyone besides him drunk at Temple. But I didn't. I just told him to please not contact me again. I'm actually really happy that he has this negative view of the OTO, because it means he probably won't come back and try to do Minerval.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Hibiscus posted:

I was going to respond [...]. But I didn't. I just told him to please not contact me again.

If you hadn't written back at all, that would have been ideal, but you still get an A- on this assignment. Getting rid of the physical poo poo he thinks binds you two together is a good step, as it takes away the custodial bartering he obviously was going to use in order to stay in touch with you.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've been wracking my brain, and I literally cannot think of a single thing you could say to a person that would make them hate you more than to say that you've cast a love spell upon them.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ignite Memories posted:

I've been wracking my brain, and I literally cannot think of a single thing you could say to a person that would make them hate you more than to say that you've cast a love spell upon them.

"Remember the puppy your mom got you right before she passed away?"

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.
edit: because people are creepy

Treguna Mekoides fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 5, 2014

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Why do these stories so often end in such a rapey way? As you know Denise tried a little of it on with me. These things so often encompass non consensual encounters it's got to be for a related reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh God, The News Boys. Why? :suicide:
This was one really sad story.

• Locked thread