Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Maltose posted:

Wasn't his "loss" to Doomsday him leaving because putting in the necessary effort to destroy it wasn't worth the planet they were both on?

I think his loss was him teleporting Doomsday to somewhere random in space because he did not want to fight him anymore. Darkseid also did kill Doomsday with his Omega Beams which the creature became immune to after.

It also funny that Doomsday became weaker as time went on despite becoming stronger as well. The reason that was given for this was actually pretty clever. He had managed to evolve to the point were he was intelligent and as a result of this intelligence he developed a fear of pain and death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MVP posted:

JL:War was really bad but the animation was decent.

Should have given Wonder Woman more or less of a "whore" outfit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

An actual character calls Wonder Woman's outfit a "whore's outfit" in Justice League War, for those wondering. JL War sounds like the worst try too hard edgy poo poo they've ever put out.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

An actual character calls Wonder Woman's outfit a "whore's outfit" in Justice League War, for those wondering. JL War sounds like the worst try too hard edgy poo poo they've ever put out.

Regardless, I'm glad this guy hasn't seen Kill la Kill.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Knight Boat posted:

Well of course he's pathetic. He's a villain. All villains are pathetic to their core and not at all badass as so many people seem to believe. This is something that pops up again and again in Morrison's work.
Many bullies love to exaggerate their strength and bravery so as to cow people into submission, so challenging them often reveals them to be less strong then they truly are. But this does not mean they are paper tigers. A lot of villains are clever and brave, if not as much as they pretend to be. Genghis Khan was a monster who massacred and raped millions, but he was also one of history's great military geniuses, and he personally led his troops into battle. Joseph Stalin, during his years as a revolutionary, faced death and destitution many times, but he persevered and outwitted his foes until he became arguably the most powerful despot in history. Such incredible rise to power does not happen to mediocre people. Psychopaths, I'm told have shallow emotions and little to no capacity for fear and anxiety, which is part of the reason they get into so much trouble. These people were not the gods they fancy themselves, but they were still formidable people. They could not be dismissed so easily. I always pictured Darkseid as an uholy cross between Joseph Stalin and Genghis Khan.

As I understood, Darkseid was in that state because the New Gods had gone through an apocalyptic war where they were all slain (see Seven Soldiers). His soul was trying to possess and reincarnate itself in the body of a human: Dan Turpin, an aging smoker, of all people. Aside from this weak flesh, he also bore serious spiritual scars from that war. And somehow this guy managed to claw himself back to the land of the living. Before he's even on his feet again, he's got most of humanity under his mind control.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It feels anticlimactic, though. Superman shows up to confront a god who's already been beaten down by other guys. There's no grand fight, all Superman has to do is a sing a song to finish him off.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The Question IRL posted:

I disagree. Not with Final Criss being lazy, say what you will about that story (and I will say plenty of bad things about it, the story wasn't lazy.) But the moral to that story was "Superman Wins."

I mean, sure Grant talked a big game about how the story was supposed to examine the question of "What If, one day evil wins!" and talked a lot in interviews about the future being Darksied stamping his boot on Supermans face over and over again.

But what we got was a confusing story that tried to use the fact that it was a continuation of a lot of Morrison's previous ideas to gloss over it's many flaws.

And the ending was literally all the DC Heroes spectacularly losing to Darksied's forces. Until Superman shows up, and the reason he was late amounted to "Jeez, sorry everyone I was so late stopping Darksied from destroying the universe. But I had to deal with two universal threats before I could get here."
Then he beats Darksied (with help from the Flashes that is so minimal and confusing I'm not even sure if they can be credited with an assist.) and proceeds to use Super-singing to get rid of him for good.

Darksied was repeatidly made into Superman's personal bunching bag ever since Crisis on Infinite Earths.

But regardless of how you feel about that story, it's not a punch-up. Superman and Darkseid don't go toe to toe in a fist-fight. There's a reason why Darkseid is depicted as decrepit and shattered in that story and it has nothing to do with him being a big alien dude for Superman to punch.

There's more levels and much more meaning to that conflict, and to what Darkseid is and what he symbolizes.

In Justice League: Origin and similar stories, Darkseid symbolizes 'big, strong guy'. If that's what you needed for your story to work, Kalibak or Steppenwolfe are already there for that.

There's nothing wrong with having a Superhero punch Darkseid, but if all he's there for is to get punched a lot, then you've got a boring story on your hands.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

KungFu Grip posted:

Ah okay, my bad. I'll remove it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

There's nothing wrong with having a Superhero punch Darkseid, but if all he's there for is to get punched a lot, then you've got a boring story on your hands.

Counterpoint: Every episode of Superman The Animated Series and/or Justice League where Darkseid appears pretty much always turns into Superman punching Darkseid a lot and all those episodes are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5DgeLDkNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmTg7ROPssc

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kurzon posted:

As I understood, Darkseid was in that state because the New Gods had gone through an apocalyptic war where they were all slain (see Seven Soldiers). His soul was trying to possess and reincarnate itself in the body of a human: Dan Turpin, an aging smoker, of all people. Aside from this weak flesh, he also bore serious spiritual scars from that war. And somehow this guy managed to claw himself back to the land of the living. Before he's even on his feet again, he's got most of humanity under his mind control.
I think Morrison's take on Darkseid in Final Crisis was that he's like a cornered and dying raccoon lashing out. Sure he's dangerous, but he's dangerous because he knows that he's at the end of his rope.

TwoPair posted:

Counterpoint: Every episode of Superman The Animated Series and/or Justice League where Darkseid appears pretty much always turns into Superman punching Darkseid a lot and all those episodes are awesome.
Yeah, but they're interesting because Superman loses every time he lashes out at Darkseid. The closest thing he gets to a victory is in Twilight, and he would have totally died along with Darkseid if Batman didn't stop him.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd also say that having superman just lash out at him says something about both characters. Supes was usually pretty calm and collected, but he just loses it when he fights darkseid. It helps shows just how much darkseid has hosed with superman and how much superman hates him. It also shows that darkseid is big deal, because he's the only one who can get such a reaction out of supes. It's much more enjoyable to watch then darkseid just being a strong guy they fight.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 25, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The ending of Apokolips Now is really the height of the DCAU. Turpin standing up to Darkseid, the amazing music for the New Gods, Darkseid being a petty dick, Superman punching the machine, murder on a children's cartoon, Maggie getting to be with her girlfriend on screen, the best tribute and goodbye to Kirby, "In the end the world didn't really need a superman... just a brave one," and "Daniel Turpin--Earth's Greatest Hero." It's a few minutes dense with beauty and pure guts that you never really saw on Saturday morning.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 25, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember quite a few vids of Superman world of cardboard speech were he attacks Darkseid with his full strength. Then the comments are about how awesome Superman is and strong Superman is. The vids also conveniently leave out the part were Darkseid one shots Superman after taking next to no damage from his attacks.

I remember a horrible scene in the comics were Superman blinds Darkseid almost as bad as the blinding him the WAR movie. They both resulted in Darkseid being unable to use his Omega Beams despite the fact that Darkseid can create Avatars and Projections that fire off Omega Beams. He can fire Omega beams from his hands and any other part of his body that wants and even fire Omega beams from other people's eyes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

The ending of Apokolips Now is really the height of the DCAU. Turpin standing up to Darkseid, the amazing music for the New Gods, Darkseid being a petty dick, Superman punching the machine, murder on a children's cartoon, Maggie getting to be with her girlfriend on screen, the best tribute and goodbye to Kirby, "In the end the world didn't really need a superman... just a brave one," and "Daniel Turpin--Earth's Greatest Hero." It's a few minutes dense with beauty and pure guts that you never really saw on Saturday morning.

The problem I had with that bit was that Darkseid's eye beams had only been shown teleporting people up to that point, so it followed to me that Turpin was still alive, just imprisoned and enslaved on Apokolips, and nobody came for him ever.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Bruce Timm has never made Darkseid look weak (unlike the comic books). Even in JL:War, the entire League had to gang up on him to take him down. What bothered me about the movie is that there was no point to his character other than to show up and get into a fistfight with the League, as if he was the final boss to a World of Warcraft dungeon. There was none of the fun stuff about Anti-Life or the court intrigues or the ideological contrasts with New Genesis. Even in the TV shows Bruce Timm never delved deeply into the Fourth World mythology. I especially hated they gave him a digitally distorted voice that conveyed no personality.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The problem I had with that bit was that Darkseid's eye beams had only been shown teleporting people up to that point, so it followed to me that Turpin was still alive, just imprisoned and enslaved on Apokolips, and nobody came for him ever.
It also occurs me that Turpin was the only death in that entire episode. They mourned only for that one guy and not for any other casualties. It's like Darkseid ordered his troops to only do property damage.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 25, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

It also occurs me that Turpin was the only death in that entire episode. They mourned only for that one guy and not for any other casualties. It's like Darkseid ordered his troops to only do property damage.
Eh, Darkseid's whole thing is subjugation. I have no problem imagining him not really killing anyone, and only killing Turpin to be an rear end in a top hat.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Eh, Darkseid's whole thing is subjugation.
Same thing for Genghis Khan. Darkseid, however, is more merciful and surgical in war than the American military.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember quite a few vids of Superman world of cardboard speech were he attacks Darkseid with his full strength. Then the comments are about how awesome Superman is and strong Superman is. The vids also conveniently leave out the part were Darkseid one shots Superman after taking next to no damage from his attacks.
And then its up to Lex to save the day with Clancy being his :smug:est

God the last scene in JLU is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WslDR5SrKQ

Though other than the Question, Mark Hamill as the Trickster, Lex and Flash switching minds, my favorite JL moment has to be this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GMbeQe0klA
Man Green Arrow had the best theme :allears:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Eh, Darkseid's whole thing is subjugation. I have no problem imagining him not really killing anyone, and only killing Turpin to be an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, he specifically says as much in the Legacy fight when Superman calls out a punch for Dan Turpin. "If I knew the death of one mere human caused you so much pain I would have killed thousands!" To Darkseid it's just wasteful to kill when his conquests can serve in misery as his slave-subjects instead, unless the death serves a greater purpose.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, he specifically says as much in the Legacy fight when Superman calls out a punch for Dan Turpin. "If I knew the death of one mere human caused you so much pain I would have killed thousands!" To Darkseid it's just wasteful to kill when his conquests can serve in misery as his slave-subjects instead, unless the death serves a greater purpose.

It's actually just 'more', 'thousands' would've been too much enthusiasm, Ironside rarely raised his voice as Darkseid. And yeah, Superman sometimes won the physical fight, but he still lost the battle.

"I am many things, Kal-El. But here? I am God."

I know they wanted a third season/were relatively sure a Justice League show would happen, but the BALLS to have that be the finale.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I know they wanted a third season/were relatively sure a Justice League show would happen, but the BALLS to have that be the finale.
Another season was a possibility, but Justice League show as we know it was definitely not a sure thing. Warner Bros. really wanted Timm to make a Justice League show about Batman training young heroes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gaz-L posted:

It's actually just 'more', 'thousands' would've been too much enthusiasm, Ironside rarely raised his voice as Darkseid. And yeah, Superman sometimes won the physical fight, but he still lost the battle.

"I am many things, Kal-El. But here? I am God."

Hell He did not even really win that fight physically he got his rear end kicked. When Darkseid was about to finish him off he put his hands in front of his eyes causing Darkseid to fry himself with the Omega effect. If Darkseid had not picked Superman up he would have died.

It's kind of a shame the only reason Darkseid became weaker was because he became more popular so people wanted to use him more.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Another season was a possibility, but Justice League show as we know it was definitely not a sure thing. Warner Bros. really wanted Timm to make a Justice League show about Batman training young heroes.

That would have been pretty whelming.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

That would have been pretty whelming.
I'd argue that you can also see aspects of the idea on Brave and the Bold, especially early episodes which focused on Jaime.

My favorite case of Timm and Co having to battle WB's high concept mandates was when they basically said, "We're making Future Batman. You can either do it, or we'll get someone else to do it." And Timm and Co just groaned and were like, "Fine. We'll do it and make it amazing. Goddamn."

I really cherish my teen years spent on ToonZone with Bruce Timm coming in and posting little tidbits like that.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Timeless Appeal posted:

Was this the same one that was going to feature Impulse and girl-Cyborg?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Maybe it was just because of Darkseid being a giant in JL:War, but I kept on thinking I'd rather be watching the X-Men fighting Apocalypse.

Also, the Flash came off as the most mature and level headed out of all the heroes, which is kind of weird.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

TwoPair posted:

That's not a counter-point. There's much more to both of these scenes than Darkseid getting punched, which is what makes those scenes awesome, which Justice League: Origin and Justice League: War both lack. Justice League: Origin is literally just an extended sequence of fight sequences with some of the most god-awful, cookie cutter dialogue threaded throughout it. There's nothing near as imposing or emotive as Darkseid's retorts to Superman or Superman's anger and anguish, or their long-running hatred of one another.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with people punching Darkseid, but when that's all the story has going for it, your story sucks and you do both characters a disservice.

More and more it just seems to me like The Sinestro Corps. War was Johns getting really, really lucky.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 26, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Speaking of the Sinestro Corps, they're also kind of dumb. Sinestro amasses a bunch of slobbering psychopathic monsters who pillage and destroy when they don't have their master to muzzle them - does he seriously plan to bring his vision of order to the Universe with these guys? I always felt that Sinestro should recruit people who resembled him: ruthless but also refined and disciplined, like a cosmic version of the Schutzstaffel. That's a problem with all these new Corps Johns invented: they have no real mission statement, no direction. What are the Red Lanterns doing anyway now that Krona and the old Guardians are dead?

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's kind of a shame the only reason Darkseid became weaker was because he became more popular so people wanted to use him more.
I'm not to sure about this. I've been flipping through the original New Gods series by Kirby, and Darkseid never gets into a fistfight and never faces Superman. He's always a behind-the-scenes manipulator. I can definitely say that his Omega Beams power has been weakened, because he has successfully teleported Superman in later books.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 26, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm not to sure about this. I've been flipping through the original New Gods series by Kirby, and Darkseid never gets into a fistfight and never faces Superman. He's always a behind-the-scenes manipulator. I can definitely say that his Omega Beams power has been weakened, because he has successfully teleported Superman in later books.

I checked stuff out. Guy was pretty close to being unbeatable pre crisis. I also prefer him being the behind the scenes kind of guy as it helps sell him as the ultimate evil.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Vakal posted:

Also, the Flash came off as the most mature and level headed out of all the heroes, which is kind of weird.

This can really be attributed to the Flash being Barry Allen now and not Wally West.

Barry is the most boring super hero ever created.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

This can really be attributed to the Flash being Barry Allen now and not Wally West.

Barry is the most boring super hero ever created.
Comic book Wally was never really that immature to be fair. That's something a bit specific to the DCAU.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

Speaking of the Sinestro Corps, they're also kind of dumb. Sinestro amasses a bunch of slobbering psychopathic monsters who pillage and destroy when they don't have their master to muzzle them - does he seriously plan to bring his vision of order to the Universe with these guys? I always felt that Sinestro should recruit people who resembled him: ruthless but also refined and disciplined, like a cosmic version of the Schutzstaffel. That's a problem with all these new Corps Johns invented: they have no real mission statement, no direction. What are the Red Lanterns doing anyway now that Krona and the old Guardians are dead?

I believe his idea was destroy the GLC first, worry about actually policing the universe later. And if you're gonna go just fight the Green Lanterns, might as well recruit some crazy motherfuckers. These days, the Reds concern themselves with policing the universe through extreme 90s-esque force.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

I believe his idea was destroy the GLC first, worry about actually policing the universe later. And if you're gonna go just fight the Green Lanterns, might as well recruit some crazy motherfuckers. These days, the Reds concern themselves with policing the universe through extreme 90s-esque force.

And is loving awesome :black101:

Seriously, why don't give all the lantern family to Soule? Dude's gonna be writting most of the big two titles later this year anyways :v:

The thing I'm more bummed about having the N52 on animated form is than we never got that SCW feature :smith:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I hope someone's already made a gif of Green Lantern attacking Darkseid only to get smacked into a building, then immediatly getting the curb stomped into him by parademons.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Sinestro's plan wasn't to destroy the GLC at all actually. He created the Sinestro Corps in order for some of the stipulations of the Green Lanterns (like their inability to kill) to be lifted, to make them the police force they were meant to be. He was always expecting to lose.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I finally watched JL:War and it was pretty entertaining (I liked more than the original comic in fact), the voice cast was fine once than I heard more of them and the whole thing about crude language was overblown and kind of makes sense in context.

The thing it DID bothered me was the league killing Parademons left and right, I'm drawing a blank about other options to deal with them but the whole thing felt wrong somehow, another weird thing I noticed were odd editing choices since it seemed than the movie was cut for TV and they added that editing for commercial breaks.

Entertaining movie but certainly one of the poorer of the lot.

JLA:Trapped in Time on the other hand is really weird. The whole thing is a callback to the superfriends but it doesn't mix the ideas that well, the designs are odd and the voice acting on the latinamerican dubbed (couldn't find a subbed one) version is awful.

Maybe is a good time waster for kids, though.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

TheHan posted:

I hope someone's already made a gif of Green Lantern attacking Darkseid only to get smacked into a building, then immediatly getting the curb stomped into him by parademons.

Overall, I didn't like War very much, but that part was genuinely hilarious. I was surprised by how much I liked Green Lantern in it. He's usually the boring one. His voice actor actually had pretty good comedic timing, so that probably helped. I haven't read too much New 52, but it looks like Superman got screwed. Dumb costume, rear end in a top hat personality, and a stupidly wide face.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Professor Wayne posted:

Dumb costume, rear end in a top hat personality, and a stupidly wide face.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TheHan posted:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

E the Shaggy posted:

Sinestro's plan wasn't to destroy the GLC at all actually. He created the Sinestro Corps in order for some of the stipulations of the Green Lanterns (like their inability to kill) to be lifted, to make them the police force they were meant to be. He was always expecting to lose.
Yeah, that was a weird line that left me scratching my head. Why hasn't he disbanded his Corps now that that goal was achieved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Oh man. Just something about those parademons just sliding in and punching him is hilariously cheap.

• Locked thread