Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

futile posted:

"Apocalypse New" is out. Author of Apoc Spell Package completely remade his mod from the ground up.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16225

Just in time for the non-destruction wizard run I was planning. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

futile posted:

"Apocalypse New" is out. Author of Apoc Spell Package completely remade his mod from the ground up.

To quote the comment section, "Oh wow! New Apocalypse spell package AND SPERG compatibility patch!??! My dick just exploded!"

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Did you do the .ini tweaks for ENB? Disabled AA and all that jazz?

yeeeep

I really have no idea what to do. this computer is a new build and has run everything else just perfectly, but for some reason ENB just likes to make skyrim crash every time I start it up

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

futile posted:

Anyone tried it yet or able to explain any significant changes?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

right arm posted:

yeeeep

I really have no idea what to do. this computer is a new build and has run everything else just perfectly, but for some reason ENB just likes to make skyrim crash every time I start it up

There was a link in the last few pages that had a visual step by step guide on how to get enb running; it helped me get enboost running (I was loving something up during installation).

Also if you're running sweetfx or any other visual mod that uses the d3d9 file, you need to do a bit of tweaking, namely renaming said file and pointing to it from the enb ini (again, I managed to get it running but if was disabling my sweetfx shaders until I did that).

I ended giving up on enb since every profile I've tried, including a few "light weight"ones have a 30fps impact on my rig. :(

(You did modify the skyrim inis from within mod organizer, right? :v: )

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm really new to modding and I have no idea how to get Dual Sheath Redux up and running. I know I need to patch it from the Dual Sheath Redux Patch file but it won't launch. Help?

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 25, 2014

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

There was a link in the last few pages that had a visual step by step guide on how to get enb running; it helped me get enboost running (I was loving something up during installation).

Also if you're running sweetfx or any other visual mod that uses the d3d9 file, you need to do a bit of tweaking, namely renaming said file and pointing to it from the enb ini (again, I managed to get it running but if was disabling my sweetfx shaders until I did that).

I ended giving up on enb since every profile I've tried, including a few "light weight"ones have a 30fps impact on my rig. :(

(You did modify the skyrim inis from within mod organizer, right? :v: )

yeah I went through that whole how to thing and it still won't work

it's not like I haven't done this poo poo before, I mean all this stuff worked fine on my old machine, but now I just get auto crashes even when TES5edit says it ought to work

I'm like about to give up on this ENB nonsense cause this is such a pain in the rear end

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

UoI posted:

I'm really new to modding and I have no idea how to get Dual Sheath Redux up and running. I know I need to patch it from the Dual Sheath Redux Patch file but it won't launch. Help?
You probably don't have Java installed, or your version of Java is too old.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Updated Java and it worked. Thanks. :)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

right arm posted:

yeah I went through that whole how to thing and it still won't work

it's not like I haven't done this poo poo before, I mean all this stuff worked fine on my old machine, but now I just get auto crashes even when TES5edit says it ought to work

I'm like about to give up on this ENB nonsense cause this is such a pain in the rear end

ugh yeah now it just crashes before even opening up

I've got skyrim installed on my SSD under C:\steamlibrary\blah\blah\skyrim and everything seems as if its in the correct place

but yeah, it just won't start unless I remove the ENB poo poo from the skyrim directory

e: oh holy christ it now works I will never build another pc again

right arm fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 25, 2014

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Welp, i am overwhelmed by this game.

My original plan was to just do the main quest, and do some extra quests here and there, play through the game "quickly" and then add mods. (i had the "recommended first time playthough" mods from day 1 though)
120 hours of Skyrim later my dude is level 30, i have like 800 quests in my quest log, and i have barely started the main quest...I have so many things to do i have no idea what to pick :)

Is it even that necessary to install a bunch of mods? My main gripes with the game so far is that:

-The map is really loving atrocious, holy hell it is annoying to have to juggle between M, L and J and always getting one of them wrong.

-Romping through a dungeon and killing most enemies in 3-4 hits and finding the challenge interesting, when suddenly you come across this 1 enemy that kills you in 1 hit, and no amount of reloading or buffing up with potions lets me kill them.

-The perk interface is horrible

-The perks themselves arent very interesting either, particularly how you for the most part only unlock interesting perks at 50, 70 and 100, meaning that right now i have 10 available perk points that i can't place anywhere. I have been lockpicking everything i have come across so far and my lockpicking is only level 48.

-The magic system looks fairly boring, only like 30 spells or so in the vanilla game? Not a huge concern for me though as i prefer playing melee/heavy armor classes. I do heal myself up with one of the heal spells after every fight though.

-Smithing, it seems the only real way to level this (short of training at NPCs) is to buy every single ore and bar you come across on on NPCs and hope you get some combinations of materials that lets you craft something. It would be nice to see a steady progression of this throughout the game that happens in a more natural way.

-Mining, maybe i just havent found any good spots, but you cant seem to "go out and mine some ore", as you only rarely come across 1 or at most 2 veins in a dungeon, even in dungeons with the "mine" icon. And for the most part it is iron ore...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

All of those problems can be modded away. Except for maybe the overwhelmed-ness.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Start by going to https://www.skyrimgems.com and just grabbing anything that looks fun. :getin:

Just kidding. Mods do fix a lot of inadequacy of the original game, but also give a lot of choice to customize it. You should build up slowly, find some small core of things that change your game the way you like. A good idea is to start with what perk/character stuff overhaul you want to use, cause a lot of other mods either are made for or need a specific compatibility patch for them. Mods such as SPERG or SkyRe or Requiem, which have various ways they implement perks and the growth of your character. SKSE and SkyUI are an absolute must for making the UI look better, and there are many more, but unfortunately the perk interface itself is basically hard-coded.

There are many magic packs with differing focuses, like the recently mentioned Apocolypse spell pack which adds a bigger but balanced variety, or Midas Magic which just gives you hundreds of wacky spells to have fun with. They aren't all for pure mage-types too, there's lots of ways you can augment yourself.

And uh, there are also a lot of ways the crafting system has been done up. Like the Complete Crafting Overhaul also just recently mentioned here.

There are also combat-changing mods which alter combat from mildly to drastically, things like Deadly Combat and such. And finally there are mods which 'unlevel' the game, so enemies aren't semi-random levels based on your level, but are set and you need to level up to them.

As a note, like the OP says, you should absolutely no questions asked have the Unofficial patches, one for each DLC you own.

After writing this, I wonder if there's much interest in a 'babbys first modding' guide. STEP sorta does this but just like SkyrimGEMS it gives you like a million mods it says you should download.

PS: any mod that enacts anything more than minor/cosmetic changes to your game should be used with a new character. In general most will work but there may be some jankiness depending on the mod. At the very least test mod stability on a new character so you don't have scripts inserted into your main character's save file.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 25, 2014

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I'm reinstalling this stupid game, but I'm not sure what mods to pick!
I'm definately going to pick up SPERG as it improved my last gameplay round by miles. Was incredibly fun to actually feel as if I'm progressing as a character.
Does anyone have any high-end texture packs that you would recommend? Last texture pack I picked up made everything in my game look orange and weird. I just want something that improves the textures that are already there :(. And anything that improves graphics in any form or way is definately a good thing. And that reminds me. Last time I was downloading mods, I stumbled upon RealVision ENB http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/?. Seemed like a great addition, but then I saw the recommended and essential mods required for playing it. Is it really needed to have a good experience with that ENB?

And how well does Morrowloot work out for you guys that have it? It sounds like great fun, so been considering getting it for my next playthrough. Although I'll probably feel like I'm underpowered so I'll install the one with crafting :ohdear:

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50305/

Has anyone tested this yet as an alternative to the memory patch?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nova88 posted:

I have tried to find ways to reduce VRAM use, the only graphically intensive mods I have are ELFX, CoT, SMIM and the High Res DLC(which I've installed a mod over that reduces the size of a lot of the textures) and I really don't want to get rid of any of those since they make the game look so much nicer.
Reducing the texture size to medium helped a bit but it made some textures pretty noticeably ugly so I had to turn the quality back up.
Running a GTX 570 with 1.2GB VRAM so not a lot of headroom.

Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized is great for saving VRAM with the high-res DLC.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mortimer posted:

Anyone tried it yet or able to explain any significant changes?

All I know is, the teleport-behind-an-enemy spell better be in, because Steam auto-updated me to the new version. But then, I never played vanilla Skyrim so for all I know that's a default spell (doubtful though).

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

I already use that, although I guess I could use the lowest quality version included with it to reduce VRAM even further

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, what is with the utter lack of good/non-crazy bows and crossbows? There's a ton of overdone poo poo among the dozens and dozens of (expected) lovely reskins, but there's relatively few mods out there that add actually sensible, decent new bows to the game. Crossbows, meanwhile, seem neglected as gently caress to the point of there being maybe one or two good, custom models that aren't just made out of mashed-together bits of other weaponry.

Do people just not play archers, or do they simply ignore anything that isn't anime as gently caress?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Gonkish posted:

Man, what is with the utter lack of good/non-crazy bows and crossbows? There's a ton of overdone poo poo among the dozens and dozens of (expected) lovely reskins, but there's relatively few mods out there that add actually sensible, decent new bows to the game. Crossbows, meanwhile, seem neglected as gently caress to the point of there being maybe one or two good, custom models that aren't just made out of mashed-together bits of other weaponry.

Do people just not play archers, or do they simply ignore anything that isn't anime as gently caress?

I love how most of them are just like a dozen knives stuck on a bow. If there's anyone roleplaying a hot glue gun fetishist, these bows are perfect for you.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

As far as I know, theres:
-Better Bows
-Unique Bows Collection (this one is really good)
-Siege Bows (a bit overdone, but still good)
-Dwarven Sniper (this is just a Dwarven bow with a sight atached to it)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are there any risks with using mods that alter the respawn time for cells? I play on timescale 10, so days move past quite a bit slower and i like it that way, but the world can be a bit stagnant.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Has anyone tried the Skyrim Save Cleaner?: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31724/

I was going to try it because of the new Apocalype update, to head off any save bloat I might incur, but I don't want to bother if it's going to do bad things to my game. Like, I have objects laid out in some of my owned homes, which wouldn't be a problem except they're mod homes and I don't know if they're flagged the same as vanilla homes.

I wouldn't want my dozens of books to vanish, or my collection of witch heads. :ohdear:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dongattack posted:

Are there any risks with using mods that alter the respawn time for cells? I play on timescale 10, so days move past quite a bit slower and i like it that way, but the world can be a bit stagnant.

Timescale changes only really gently caress up the original Helgen sequence. If you're running an alternate start mod, this isn't really a problem.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Do you gusy think it would be safe to use the new version of Apocalypse spells on an existing save or should I restart?

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Anybody having any luck using The Choice is Yours? I've got the sucker installed and near the bottom of my load order, but I'm still picking up rumor quests (Aventus Aretino:argh:) at a hellish rate.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
Trying to run the skyrim reproccer, but I'm getting a java.lang.nullexception error?

I've searched for a fix and was told to check out the user submitted images on the nexus page, but the only things there were these super unfunny mspaints.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gyshall posted:

Timescale changes only really gently caress up the original Helgen sequence. If you're running an alternate start mod, this isn't really a problem.

Yeah, that wasn't at all what i asked tho.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Nova88 posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50305/

Has anyone tested this yet as an alternative to the memory patch?

I've not but it looks like its the same code put into a dx wrapper so you don't need to gently caress with skse. Queued is the author of NV anti crash and is regarded as about as knowledgeable as any modder of beth games. MongoMonk collaborated on that mod and I know him as a solid modder as well.

Queued posted:

So here's the crazy part: I don't own Skyrim (erm, and neither did I pirate it; I made SSME "blind" based on the offsets sheson posted, and a Google search for Skyrim Virustotal results, which listed the version of d3dx9 Skyrim uses and which functions it imports). The hook itself was based on the startup procedure that New Vegas and Fallout 3 (and tons of other programs) use. Someone with Skyrim had politely approached me in regards to some NVAC stuff, and pointed me at the threads I linked in the description about Skyrim. It was neat, but it quickly became apparent that there were going to be a handful of modified SKSE DLLs floating around in short order; and that's bad. I did some brainstorming and figured this would be painless and simple for users (drop in a DLL and INI file) and would mean SKSE could stay focused on being SKSE.

Of course the whole memory patch thing is rather iffy anyway at this point. One of the SKSE guys posted

quote:

I haven't had the time to do a full investigation of the new heap system in Skyrim, and I'd really like to fully understand exactly what these changes do to the heap before fully endorsing it as something that won't create bad side effects. That said, since empirical evidence all points towards it helping, we're going to be adding some user-configurable options in a new alpha release which should be out this weekend. Allocating a larger block at startup will help a lot with avoiding fragmentation, although if at any point it tries to allocate additional blocks once the virtual address space has been trashed by the other game systems that don't use the common heap a larger block will just make things worse.

Which also sounds like we might be getting a new skse with lots of fun toys soon too!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

King Vidiot posted:

All I know is, the teleport-behind-an-enemy spell better be in, because Steam auto-updated me to the new version. But then, I never played vanilla Skyrim so for all I know that's a default spell (doubtful though).

And that's why no one should use steam for mods. Hope your current character isn't too hosed up by not un-installing the old one properly!

Also, I don't see that spell listed :( As much as I've been looking forward to new Apocolypse spells, I think I'll sit this one out until I start a new character.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
How is the new Apocalypse update? From looking at the Nexus page, all the spells I liked about are gone (no destructive cantrip, no feather fall, no spirit animals, etc.) and the spell list is like 1/3 of what it used to be. If anything it looks like a drastic step backwards.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
I remember seeing a mod, a while ago, that added randomly tempered vanilla weapons to npcs.
Also somehow the mod didn't use scripts, which was unusual or something...I forget the details.
Anyone know what It was called?

Gonkish posted:

Another vote for 'Unique bows'.

'Arcania Armory' also has some decent bows. Can't be found on nexus.

Then there's 'Andragorn Weapons'
Great looking bows, but ridiculously high poly models.

I don't know of any good crossbows.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Jabarto posted:

How is the new Apocalypse update? From looking at the Nexus page, all the spells I liked about are gone (no destructive cantrip, no feather fall, no spirit animals, etc.) and the spell list is like 1/3 of what it used to be. If anything it looks like a drastic step backwards.

Yeah, I didn't update because quite a few of the utility spells were taken out for more flashy-looking ones. Not a big issue but I always like magic that had some utility to it. Like feather-fall, etc. I'd say stick to the old one and see how the new one progresses.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there any way to use steam-only mods with MO?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

gasman posted:

'Arcania Armory' also has some decent bows. Can't be found on nexus.

Arcania Armory is also broken as gently caress, unfortunately. Some good poo poo in there but it's been put into the game in lovely ways: a while back I was getting a crash every time I tried buying from Khajit merchants among others which I was able to pin directly on AA. Unless there is some goon-made fix floating around I would advise against using it.

Speaking of random crashes, I'm getting crashes in Helgen when I attempt to save with Live Another Life active, even though I've finished its initial quest. The damndest thing is that I turned LAL off, was able to quicksave, then reloaded with it active again and it was able to save as normal again (though the finished LAL quest in my journal was gone). loving Arthmoor :argh:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

kaschei posted:

Is there any way to use steam-only mods with MO?

Yes - subscribe them and then cut/paste the mod from the Data folder in Skyrim's directory into its own folder within MO's mods directory, refresh MO, then activate the new mod. I'm using Dwemer Spectres right now just that way.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LtSmash posted:

I've not but it looks like its the same code put into a dx wrapper so you don't need to gently caress with skse. Queued is the author of NV anti crash and is regarded as about as knowledgeable as any modder of beth games. MongoMonk collaborated on that mod and I know him as a solid modder as well.

Argh, I just want someone to come to a consensus on what makes the most stable setup in terms of Queued's dll, making your own skse dll, using safety load or not, etc. I always wait 3-4 months before making a new skyrim config, but I don't know if this is an issue I should jump on asap or just wait it out. I guess because it doesn't affect mods themselves in the slightest I could just do that part last.

The most important part though is does this mean I can go nuts with my graphical mods now? I've got a 6970 2GB, but I remember a few months back doing anything more than 1024x1024 wasn't recommended (even with super comps) due to memory restrictions piling up and causing crashes. Does this mean the memory restrictions on Skyrim itself are mostly lifted and the bottleneck is now my GPU?

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

The Mad Archivist posted:

Arcania Armory is also broken as gently caress, unfortunately. Some good poo poo in there but it's been put into the game in lovely ways: a while back I was getting a crash every time I tried buying from Khajit merchants among others which I was able to pin directly on AA. Unless there is some goon-made fix floating around I would advise against using it.

Oh, that's a shame. Never used the esp, I just fished the bows out, and used them as replacers for the horrible vanilla high tier ones.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

drgnvale posted:

And that's why no one should use steam for mods. Hope your current character isn't too hosed up by not un-installing the old one properly!

Also, I don't see that spell listed :( As much as I've been looking forward to new Apocolypse spells, I think I'll sit this one out until I start a new character.

I was about to ask why the old version was still in place for me (the spells that people are saying are gone... aren't), and then I realized... Steam only actually installs the new version of a mod if you launch from the old launcher. And I never do. I guess all that's left to do now is never, ever install another mod via Steam and never touch the launcher.

Or I guess unsubscribe now, launch to uninstall Apocalypse and then download the old version from Nexus when Nexus unshits itself.

Okay, all that aside, does anybody know anything about the setlevel command? I installed the "Almost Everyone is an Adventurer" mod, and I stumbled across what appears to be a unique NPC from who-knows-where named "Ericka" who appears to be a vampire or something with a skull-decorated robe. I hired her as a necromancer, tried to set her level the way they tell you to:

setlevel 1000 0 1 100

Only I didn't select her, I selected myself. So now I'm level 1000. I could restore an earlier save, but I kind of want to keep this "Ericka" around as a follower, so what can I do to restore my old level? I tried "setlevel 44" for my level, and... nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

gasman posted:

I remember seeing a mod, a while ago, that added randomly tempered vanilla weapons to npcs.
Also somehow the mod didn't use scripts, which was unusual or something...I forget the details.
Anyone know what It was called?

Upgraded Weapons and Armours maybe? The nexus seems to be down but that's a link I had saved. It uses scripts and I've heard it runs into trouble sometimes but I have no idea what that entails.

Mortimer posted:

Argh, I just want someone to come to a consensus on what makes the most stable setup in terms of Queued's dll, making your own skse dll, using safety load or not, etc. I always wait 3-4 months before making a new skyrim config, but I don't know if this is an issue I should jump on asap or just wait it out. I guess because it doesn't affect mods themselves in the slightest I could just do that part last.

The most important part though is does this mean I can go nuts with my graphical mods now? I've got a 6970 2GB, but I remember a few months back doing anything more than 1024x1024 wasn't recommended (even with super comps) due to memory restrictions piling up and causing crashes. Does this mean the memory restrictions on Skyrim itself are mostly lifted and the bottleneck is now my GPU?

The memory fix in whatever form seems safe enough but who knows what we will find out in a month. I'd go with Queued's dll since you won't have to worry about skse updates messing with it.

The old issue with high res textures was Skyrim kept everything in system ram even after passing it to vram. When skyrim hit 3.2gb of system ram it would crash (and might still, dunno if the memory fix changes that). ENBoost can force skyrim to unload textures once they are in vram which will go a long way to stopping 3.2gb ram crashes with bling mods.

• Locked thread