Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

JerryLee posted:

Obviously it's a matter of style/interpretation but I don't think of melta or flamers as casting that much light, unless you're modeling the beam/fire shooting out of the gun. In my mind the holes and slots are mostly for ventilation around the interior barrel, and wouldn't radiate light the way, say, plasma coils or power cores do. :spergin:

Well, I planned on having the ports glow as if the weapon were a split second from firing, but I couldn't figure out how that would actually look, and I couldn't find an example on google anywhere of someone else doing it. I then thought of doing a similar effect on the mouth hole in his fist, treating it like a flamer, but I barely know how to do flames at all, and if I wanted to do that I shouldn't have glued the two fist halves into place first. Lessons learned I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dr. Lenin posted:

I was going through my bitzbox and found some Cadian zombies I started on like 6 years ago:

Can't think of a use for them anymore, but I might as well finish them.

They are actually in the latest version of the CSM codex. Not terribly useful, but still.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
What would be a good source for generic DND style minis? I have a few Hirst Arts molds that I've made some stuff with and want some minis for friends to use when we play. Bones seems like a decent option but there are so many individual models and very few sets available.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Crain posted:

What would be a good source for generic DND style minis? I have a few Hirst Arts molds that I've made some stuff with and want some minis for friends to use when we play. Bones seems like a decent option but there are so many individual models and very few sets available.

Dungeon Command or the minis board games by WotC. Or Bones.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Crain posted:

Bones is perfect for what you want. Not sure what you mean by "sets" though. They have goblins, kobolds, orcs, etc. you could also try picking up old GW orcs on eBay cheap but it won't help for gnolls and the like.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Wargames Factory does acceptable sets of Orcs and Skeletons.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Cross Post from OATHES

:parrot:OATH COMPLETE:parrot:

It looks like the saga of awful priming didn't damage the model too badly. I attempted the Jurnal with glowy eyes, multi-melta barrels and back vents, but I didn't really know what I was doing and had to quit after several attempts before I did any more damage. Painting red all over the skin was a pain, but not nearly as bad as trying to create convincing light sources and getting the white plating decent.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It looks like Christmas came about a month late for your Hellbrute :v: That's a beautiful white though.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I have to say, while it's awesomely painted, a gold trim would have looked baller on that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm always happen to see less black/gold on Chaos.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well, it was supposed to go with my not-deathguard Deathguard, and I needed a color for the fleshy bits. I also had Khornate terminators and cultists, so red as a unifying color made sense! :downs: The Christmas theme didn't hit me until after I had painted a few of the troopers. I've always been bad at color schemes, but I've painted enough for the oath thread that I'll just follow through with it and know better for whatever army I work on next. I do still have some Dark Vengeance chosen models I could do a Red/White/Gold theme on, since I was already taking a skittles approach.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

To be fair, I wasn't thinking christmas until it was posted, and you've definitely got the raw, bloody flesh look down well. I'm pretty sure a group shot would look great in that scheme.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

ijyt posted:

To be fair, I wasn't thinking christmas until it was posted, and you've definitely got the raw, bloody flesh look down well. I'm pretty sure a group shot would look great in that scheme.

:pseudo:

From the oath thread. You can see some of the not-deathguard in the middle row.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah, definitely look way better in a group, because every part gives that unity. The death guard look like death guard but fleshier, which ties it in with the Khorne.

Khorne flakes and milk.

Also holy poo poo those 2nd Ed bases I love them.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

The best part of your models is the use of smurf marine heads. But honestly, I really do love the fleshier colouring you used.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bachtere posted:

Make sure you are enjoying what you are painting. If it is becoming tedious, try something different, switch up techniques, try different colors. Early on when I was first starting, I basically burned myself out because I was painting an O&G army and it was the most tedious, pain in the rear end thing I'd ever done. I finished a Black Orc unit which consumed an entire month of my free time and didn't even want to look at a brush.

One reason why I don't really paint armies any more, I'd rather avoid that at all costs, keep it fresh.

Anywho, an elephant man! Painted this guy before Christmas, tried out water effects on his base, didn't work, so I covered it up with flock. I'll give the water another go shortly.

What model is this? It looks awesome.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Harapan, Elephant Warrior from Reaper. It's a special edition figure, proceeds of it's sale went towards Tsunami relief back in 2005, I was lucky enough to get it in some random lot I bought on eBay.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Holy sheeeet, painting beads in dreadlocked hair at 28mm is hard.

Plastic Scouser
Aug 16, 2006

"You just..say these things."
Well after finishing some Ultramarine Sternguard last year I promised myself I was done with marines.....until I realised how many spare parts/odds & ends I had so put together a company champion (sword still to be painted) and another tactical squad.

Then realising if I have a champion of a company I may as well finish the company. And a land raider.

Just 2 speeders, 4 bikes, 1 marine with a multi-melta, a banner bearer, and 5 rhinos to go. I'll be scrubbing poorly painted ebay stuff I think.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished another combat squad, finishing the second Tactical Squad:

The whole squad:

And a group shot of everything so far:

They come out to about 900 points as is, a little more if I deck out the second captain with more than just the relic bolter.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Dark elf Dreadlord on black dragon (converted from an old high elf special character).

I'd like to call him finished, but I only have one shade of purple on the skin. I'm hesitant to layer up on it as purple can be really blotchy and transitions are pretty tough. Other than that, if anyone has suggestions on something cool to do with the wings I'd love to hear it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SRM, I want to take up a collection of one-pose 2e box set marines to mail you. Those are beautiful.

I've been working on more Kings of War undead. The oath thread is fantastic, and it was a great kick to get me back into a hobby I enjoy. I'd been putting off a lot of painting projects because I never expected to have time to do them. And now I'm two (maybe three) units into the undead army I've wanted since junior high.

These aren't the best figures, but oh how I love their goony dumb skull faces!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I appreciate the offer, but I've probably got something close to half a company of "I love my bolter" Marines just hanging out in sundry places in my apartment! Those undead are looking good, even with their silly dogface skulls.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

OB_Juan and I started a table today.

2 2'x'4 piecs of 1/2" MDF, gray asphalt felt folded over and clipped. Breaks down really easily.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Here, have an IG autocannon team.

Not sure what I'll end up using to base them, though it'll probably be the same as one of the platoons I've already got done to keep it thematically similar (3 infantry squads and a heavy weapons squad per platoon, like the US Army does)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Crossposting from the 40k thread. I posted these guys a number of months ago:

Anyways I'm about done converting them (about 20hrs of work making them look like cool legion vindicators). They look baller, but I wanted to comment on the quality.

The company that makes them is puppetswar.eu. It's taken me a lot of work cleaning up the resin kits and merging them with the rhino chassis. If you look at those pictures you can see MASSIVE loving GAPS between the two parts. The parts themselves are of pretty good quality, but its worse than forgeworld when it comes to how well they mate together. I love the kit and think its grimdark as hell, but its a ton of work considering I paid about 30USD for each one.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SRM posted:

Finished another combat squad, finishing the second Tactical Squad:

The whole squad:

And a group shot of everything so far:

They come out to about 900 points as is, a little more if I deck out the second captain with more than just the relic bolter.

I loving love your 2e style smurfs. One nitpick though: for the full 2e effect, they need squad markings on the right shoulderpads, and ~hazard stripes~ in random places.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Silhouette posted:

I loving love your 2e style smurfs. One nitpick though: for the full 2e effect, they need squad markings on the right shoulderpads, and ~hazard stripes~ in random places.
Hazard stripes will be happening! I have a hard on for hazard stripes, they're why I've got Iron Warriors. I'll be doing some hazard stripes on the Terminator power fists when I get to those models. As for tactical markings, I was thinking about it but I just didn't want to spare the hassle. I might try it out and see how long it takes and see if it's viable; it's not like it's more complex than the omegas I freehand occasionally. And thanks for the kind words :)

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I really want to see some Noise Marines done up in leopard print and zebra stripes now...

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Blend blend blend. Glaze glaze glaze.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lethemonster posted:

Blend blend blend. Glaze glaze glaze.

This is really really good and I hope its going to be the subject of a blog post. A very good example of multiple thin glazes giving a brilliant effect and how taking your time is very rewarding.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

This is really really good and I hope its going to be the subject of a blog post. A very good example of multiple thin glazes giving a brilliant effect and how taking your time is very rewarding.

I painted up the giant Space Marine statue and did the shield in the same colours as an example, with both photos and video.

I love procrastinating from exams.

Edit: When I'm trying to glaze things I just use paint thinned with water, but it's thin enough that it dries when I blow on it. Then I just make sure I don't apply enough to form droplets on the surface, and keep a damp brush in my hand to sweep off any excess before it can dry.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 27, 2014

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
That is incredible - I took a seminar from Justin McCoy at Nova last year where he explained and showed the group how to paint using thin glazes, and have tried on and off to replicate it with horrifying lack of success. I end up with paint that is considerably too thin, I think, and flows into the cracks of the model. Really nice job on that face.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
It can't really be too thin, if it's flowing into cracks too much it means you have too much on the brush, not that it's too thin.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You want glaze medium, it realy helps with thinning the paint without getting the wash effect of flowing everywhere you don't want it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Reposting from the Reaper thread. Finished the Undead Giant from the bones set. Bit messy but I was trying for speed more than anything.

Need to tidy up the base rim and maybe touch up a couple of details but whatever~

Also decided that Typhus Corrosion is one of the best things Citadel has put out in quite a while.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is there an alternative to GW's texture paints? Something I can mix up in larger quantities?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Deviant posted:

Is there an alternative to GW's texture paints? Something I can mix up in larger quantities?

What texture do you want and how much do you want?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lethemonster posted:

What texture do you want and how much do you want?

Something gritty, that I can paint around the edges of where I attach a building to a piece of foamboard or plasticard, to help the building 'blend in' to its base.

I want to put this 'missile base' piece onto some foamboard to stabilize it for example, but I'd like to paint the foamboard a dark gray and texture the edges of the buildings to help it look like a cohesive piece instead of just a building glued to a board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Go to Home Depot or similar, and buy a small tub of stucco repair. It's already got a gritty texture, it'll only cost a handful of dollars, and it'll be enough to do all your terrain. Obviously it's not painted, so you'll have to actually paint it when it's done, but you don't want to be trying to do a whole table of terrain using tiny little ruinously expensive super-high-pigment miniature model paints.

this stuff

e. Oh yeah, you can dilute it with water if it's too thick, and just wet your tools for spreading it etc. It dries reasonably quickly, is slightly flexible but not problematically-so, and it has a texture that works for dirt or sand at 28mm scale.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 27, 2014

• Locked thread