Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I think by the very fact that you have less time, you're always going to suck more than you will when you have more time to read. The trade-off is that your opponent also has less time so it should balance out. Having said that, if you want to get better at blitzy games, play more blitz. My strategy is usually to play safe, secure moves when in doubt and hope I can use it as a source of strength (connected groups, good shape) for hammering my opponent at the end of the game - that is, you can only attack from a position of strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

IMlemon posted:

Any tips how to suck less at fast games? I do fine if I play on medium time settings on KGS, but on fast I get down to increment right in the middle game and then proceed to panic and make retarded moves.

The answer to getting better at anything in Go is to do more of it. But I'm not sure you want to be great at ultra-blitz games. Go's a thinking game and it's much more rewarding when you allow yourself and your opponent time to do that. Otherwise it's just "who is better at not blundering under time pressure?"

Also playing too many fast games gets you used to playing fast even when you don't have to, which is one of the worst habits you can have when it comes to long-term progress.

That's not to say you should never play fast games... if you only have 20 minutes, go for it. But if you have an hour to play, a single hour-long game is better than three 20-minute games.

xopods fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 22, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I think the 25 minute clock with 30 second overtime is the perfect setting; it's not slow as hell but not too fast either.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Kheldragar posted:

I think the 25 minute clock with 30 second overtime is the perfect setting; it's not slow as hell but not too fast either.

Personally I find that slow as hell. 10 - 15 min + 5x30s is my ideal setting. On one hand there's plenty of time to stop and think for important moves, but on the other it goes fast enough so that you can play a few games in a sitting. Also, for any beginners, I'd say playing more games has a better impact on performance than playing longer games.

Anyway, on a totally different topic and for anyone who didn't know, Gu Li and Lee Sedol are playing a jubango (10-game-match) this year, with the winner collecting ~$800,000 US ($5 mil RMB). First game is happening this Saturday, and will be broadcast on KGS. Get hyped(!?)
http://www.usgo.org/news/2014/01/lee-sedol-gu-li-jubango-to-be-broadcast-live-on-kgs/

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

All of these time settings sound reasonable. My own settings for online were usually 20:00 main time and 0:20 byo-yomi.

What I'm talking about are the u-blitz games people like to play on KGS with just 1:00 of main time to say hello and whatever, and then either 10 seconds/move or 3:00/30 moves Canadian overtime. Those are fine for developing fighting instincts I guess, but not much else... there's no time for strategy, no time to evaluate the position, no time to read things out properly.

I did once accept a challenge from someone with a customized GnuGo bot that he'd optimized for high-speed play, and took it on at 2-seconds per move and won. But although the results were fun and hilarious, I wouldn't exactly call them a good game of Go. ;)

And I stand by what I said about it pacing yourself being an important skill to learn in and of itself. If you go play in a live tournament with an hour on the clock but you've never taken more than 10 or 20 seconds on a move before in your life, you're not going to be able to make effective use of that time.

EDIT: Re: Gu Li vs. Lee Sedol, that's awesome. I'll try to tune in. I haven't watched a pro game happening live in ages. I love playing guess-the-move.

xopods fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 22, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

ThePineapple posted:

Personally I find that slow as hell. 10 - 15 min + 5x30s is my ideal setting. On one hand there's plenty of time to stop and think for important moves, but on the other it goes fast enough so that you can play a few games in a sitting. Also, for any beginners, I'd say playing more games has a better impact on performance than playing longer games.

Anyway, on a totally different topic and for anyone who didn't know, Gu Li and Lee Sedol are playing a jubango (10-game-match) this year, with the winner collecting ~$800,000 US ($5 mil RMB). First game is happening this Saturday, and will be broadcast on KGS. Get hyped(!?)
http://www.usgo.org/news/2014/01/lee-sedol-gu-li-jubango-to-be-broadcast-live-on-kgs/

I'm perfectly fine with the ten minute time setting as well, but I usually find myself hitting byo-yomi after about half of the game. I don't really take too long to think, though; usually in ranked games with 25 minutes on the clock my opponet will either be in byo-yomi or have less than 10 minutes left when I've only used 10 of my 25.

Lee Sedol is going to win.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
I like 5 - 10 minutes main time and then 30 second byo-yomi. I run into time trouble, but that discourages wasting time thinking about things unnecessarily. If I don't know what to do in too many places in a game, it means I should be playing more straightforward moves. Once the game is won or lost, it usually becomes a bit easier to pinpoint the mistakes and figure out why a position was so hard to think about for the next time around. Solving life & death and tesuji problems makes playing quickly much easier!

e: Note I am playing 20+ correspondence games on OGS so really what I like to do is agonize about positions for weeks on end, I am a hypocrite

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Can we have a jubango watching party or something.... someone should provide a commentary as the games emerge

http://gogameguru.com/tag/mlily-gu-vs-lee-jubango/

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Can we have a jubango watching party or something.... someone should provide a commentary as the games emerge

http://gogameguru.com/tag/mlily-gu-vs-lee-jubango/
We could get together on skype or something.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Looks interesting; I'm sure if some of the amateur dans in ITGO get in on it, they'd be able to explain what the hell is going on nicely.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

Well I think KGS will be fine, the games will move pretty slowly; I'm hoping someone will be playing out the board live somewhere.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Well I think KGS will be fine, the games will move pretty slowly; I'm hoping someone will be playing out the board live somewhere.

Oh, you mean play out the board in ITGO? Yeah, definately better than going to the actual main room where it's being played out in which was the only thing I considered. :doh:
That chat is going to be terrible.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just noticed that the game starts at 2 am for me. Pretty annoying. I will probably get up early the next day to try to watch the end.
If anybody notices a nice livestream with commentary. Could you try to record it?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Kheldragar posted:

That chat is going to be terrible.

Live game commentary by Kim Myungwhan 9p, it will be excellent

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Looks interesting; I'm sure if some of the amateur dans in ITGO get in on it, they'd be able to explain what the hell is going on nicely.

I wouldn't guarantee it. With Gu Li vs. Lee Sedol I expect most of the games to degenerate into crazy fights. I can understand and explain reasonable positions, but when pros get to fighting I'm often like WHAT IS GOING ON WHAT DID HE JUST DO :psyduck: same as the rest of you.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

xopods posted:

I wouldn't guarantee it. With Gu Li vs. Lee Sedol I expect most of the games to degenerate into crazy fights. I can understand and explain reasonable positions, but when pros get to fighting I'm often like WHAT IS GOING ON WHAT DID HE JUST DO :psyduck: same as the rest of you.

This makes me honestly kind of excited.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

It will be a fun time. :getin:

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

IMlemon posted:

Any tips how to suck less at fast games? I do fine if I play on medium time settings on KGS, but on fast I get down to increment right in the middle game and then proceed to panic and make retarded moves.

Sup; blitz player, here. Get used to set plays. Not necessarily trick plays but simple patterns that you know you can make a decision on in quick time. That means - you have a basic fuseki pattern that you are comfortable with for some set of joseki AND you are ready to punish some standardish variations.

The big decisions will come in the middle game and so the direction of play mechanic matters. Try to play honestly and without trick plays because blitz games which survive past the middle game usually come down to mercilessly exploiting all the bad aji that some monkey has pushed from the very start of the opening. Get your tesuji in and know your life and death.

After every game, find one thing in reviewing your game that you could have done better and find out how.

In other words, play go normally but try to keep it simple to what you understand? :)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

impulse 7 effect posted:

In other words, play go normally but try to keep it simple to what you understand? :)

And keep a cool head, because most blitz players love to play a lot of unreasonable moves. If you get angry about it you will blunder and lose. Remember that you don't necessarily have to kill something to punish bad play. Answering their overplay with an overplay of your own is exactly what they want you to do because it will cause the game to spiral into chaos. If you play solidly and strategically they will eventually self-destruct, because they don't know anything except fighting. You will eventually have to engage them, but by that point you should be strong everywhere and your superior position will outweigh any advantage in tactical instinct they have.

xopods fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 25, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Game starts being broadcasted on KGS at 18:30 tonight EST. :frogsiren:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Game starts being broadcasted on KGS at 18:30 tonight EST. :frogsiren:

I'm playing a poker tournament at 7:00 so I'll only be there for the first few moves and then for a little while after I bust, whenever that is. (It's a turbo, so I won't be at it all night). I've caught some kind of minor flu or something from my baby boy though, so I won't be staying up late.

Is it a one-day game?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I'm assuming we'll be replicating the game on a board in ITGO so that chats get associated with move numbers.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

2014 Go Superbowl Between The Sedol Hawks and The Li Tarantulas is LIVE! - ITGO MOTD

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Kheldragar posted:

2014 Go Superbowl Between The Sedol Hawks and The Li Tarantulas is LIVE! - ITGO MOTD

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

So, who won and is there an SGF available somewhere? I only got to watch the first 40 moves or so.

EDIT: Found it in USGO1's game list on KGS. As predicted, completely incomprehensible and :psyduck:

xopods fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 26, 2014

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
A guess the existance of a video with commentary on that game is too much to hope for?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

PerOlus posted:

A guess the existance of a video with commentary on that game is too much to hope for?

An YoungGil will probably comment up a SGF of the game later, he probably gives the best commentary of modern professional games in English than anyone else out there. Its not a video, but pretty good.

The other option is to get a subtitled vid from badukTV from gogameguru, but you gotta pay for that.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Is Baduk TV even worth buying? Not just for viewing the Lee Sedol game, but in general?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

If I'm going to do a beginners' lecture this week (realistically, this means more like "group discussion," though I'll try to get derailed less this time) it's got to be tomorrow night. I have poker tournaments to play Tuesday and Thursday, and Wednesday is now "date night" with my wife, since with a 10 month old baby + jobs and hobbies and everything, we need to conscientiously make time for each other.

So yeah, tomorrow night, 7:30 in the Beginners' Room. The general subject will be contact moves and shoulder hits and the responses to them.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

I am black and white just played his move trying to kill my corner. My solution to this problem ingame:

Lose on time :smithicide:. The worst thing is I could have given this corner up and then some more and still won because I'm so far ahead. Also he should have played A2 because that leads to a ko for life if I'm not mistaken.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

How the game of go looks in our minds:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I lost this game after I decided to get into a complicated fight that ended up with me loving up a capturing race. Oh sure, fill that liberty because you think black can cut there when it's a tiger's mouth AND even if black peeps he's just going to fill in his own liberties at that point. But anyways, I thought I was doing okay up to this point, but I had no idea what to do about black's influence. How does white look in this picture? Up until after this I thought I was doing well.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Black looks ahead to me. White has ~60 points on the board and not much room to pick up more, while black has so much potential that if he can convert even half of it into territory he'll win handily.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xyven posted:

Black looks ahead to me. White has ~60 points on the board and not much room to pick up more, while black has so much potential that if he can convert even half of it into territory he'll win handily.

It's at this point I noticed, "You know, I'm going to have a hard time making any more points if I just stay low like I am right now. I know! I'll build a giant wall of wallness with these three stones and then when I reach the top, I'll invade black's corner! Yeaaah!"

It went as well as you'd expect.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Kheldragar posted:

I lost this game after I decided to get into a complicated fight that ended up with me loving up a capturing race. Oh sure, fill that liberty because you think black can cut there when it's a tiger's mouth AND even if black peeps he's just going to fill in his own liberties at that point. But anyways, I thought I was doing okay up to this point, but I had no idea what to do about black's influence. How does white look in this picture? Up until after this I thought I was doing well.

if i were you i'd try to threaten the left hand side to make ladders work for me, then just try to push through at Q13 then P15 and go bananas. this possible?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

http://online-go.com/game/480060 <-- See move 33

1. Is move 33 the correct way to start an attack on R6 group in this situation?
2. What is the best follow up attack move on R6 if Black does not play? S7 or S8 seems like the obvious gutting move, but there's also the cap at P9.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

if i were you i'd try to threaten the left hand side to make ladders work for me, then just try to push through at Q13 then P15 and go bananas. this possible?

It looks possible, but black can just keep changing the ladder for every stone he has in that wall, so I have to make sure all of them work. I still think it's a nice choice, though.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I've gotten embroiled in the strangest OGS drama between an insane 17k sandbagger and a 30k weird guy "ninja" player who claims that I crushed him only because he wanted to test my skills.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

I've gotten embroiled in the strangest OGS drama between an insane 17k sandbagger and a 30k weird guy "ninja" player who claims that I crushed him only because he wanted to test my skills.

What does this sandbagger have to do with you crushing a "30k" player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an established Komi for the smaller boards? 6.5 seems like a lot for a 9x9 board, but thats what ogs has it set at.