Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Super long shot but would you be able to take a scale shot of the Reciprocators next to some Tau Crisis Suits or another 40k model?

No problem. I don't have Tau models but here's the basic space marine small/med/large comparison. It's slightly taller than the Terminator there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for the month of January a Reaper Bones wizard lady and a Reaper Bones candlestick.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Black_Nexus posted:

:siren:I Black_Nexus oath 7 plague marines(Games workshop 40k):siren:

Germ posted:

Oath Addition! Imma gonna paint this Nightbringer C'tan for Warhammer 40k by GW (28 mm).

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for the month of January a Reaper Bones wizard lady and a Reaper Bones candlestick.

Accepted!

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
I Avenger_Mullah oath 1 Pandora and 3 Sorrows (Malifaux/Wyrd, 32 mm)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I demand your approval! :argh:

enri posted:

Sodding thing still hasn't turned up so I've delved through my pile of plastic crack for something I want to paint up, found a bunch of plastic skaven so this'll do for now:

:siren: I, enri, oath to paint :siren:

5 x Scrap tokens for Malifaux, scale is 28mm and these are 'Trash' scenic bases made by Micro Art Studios
1 x Skaven Standard Bearer, scale is 28mm and is made by Games Workshop

(no points given for guessing what bonus points I'm trying to blag this month :v:)

Leperflesh posted:

Don't wait for approval, just start painting.

Oh I haven't held off painting, everything is under control and paint is flying around willy nilly but I'm desperate for someone to validate my existence in this cruel cruel world :ohdear:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
enri: you were validated a while back: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=104#post424670723

;)

Avenger_Mullah posted:

I Avenger_Mullah oath 1 Pandora and 3 Sorrows (Malifaux/Wyrd, 32 mm)

Accepted!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Curse you, I thought I was thorough when I checked new posts :argh:

Sorry :)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Germ posted:

I love the Dark Debts models (and you've done a great job with them here), but man, the Hungering Darkness has the worst-placed split line I've ever seen in a model. Straight down the middle, through the large flat place on the head. I guess it's when Wyrd was learning plastics, but I hate what it does to an otherwise creepy model.

Yeah, I tried to patch him up but my green stuff had dried out. The reason I didn't do the rest of the set was mainly because they were a heap of tiny pieces. I have some of the newer plastics and they are leaps and bounds better.

Curse you Wyrd for making me redo all my old stuff in plastic. :swoon:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath complete!

Some of the OSL comes across better with a darker photo:

OSL/Jurnal is the light from his eyes (see closeup), whip, sword, fire-mane, and the claws on his wings. I did not put that piece of flash in there because I built the base from plaster and it was cracking everywhere and generally being horrible, so I decided that adding things would be an awful idea.

Assembling him was horrid because of all the dumb mistakes I made. Assembling the base was horrid because of all the dumb mistakes I made. My favorite was when I thought "Lo, I will throw the base in the oven at 200 for a few minutes to dry that glue nice and quick." I didn't think that 200F would be enough to get the plastic base all melty. I was wrong. I'm overall pretty proud of him, but so much paint got chipped off and retouched and so on that now I'm just happy to be done with him

Incidentally, if you need to verify that the stuff in the base was unpainted when I started, I took a pic:

Germ
May 7, 2013

One more Oath Addition. This is for a tiny diorama featuring a Bones wizard by Reaper (28mm)

Germ posted:

Finally! I Germ, Oath these Things for the month of January. The things in question are scratch-built out of pink insulation foam and cardboard, and will stand in as Necron Sentry Pylons (28mm) for my upcoming 12,000 vs 12,000 point Apocalypse game.

Couldn't see the date/time real well at first, so I took a second picture.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
I, Android, Oath this Reaper bones gnome

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath 16 gladiators from Pegasus Hobbies in 1/72 scale.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Germ posted:

One more Oath Addition. This is for a tiny diorama featuring a Bones wizard by Reaper (28mm)

Is this a Diorama entry then?

Android posted:

I, Android, Oath this Reaper bones gnome

Illudere posted:

I, Illudere, oath 16 gladiators from Pegasus Hobbies in 1/72 scale.

Accepted!

Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Is this a Diorama entry then?

Yup.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Almost forgot to do this today. Damned cutoffs!

:hist101:I, Tadhg, Oath to paint Gandalf, Saruman, and a Palantir for the month of January!:hist101:

They are all from Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings line of 28mm minis.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Oath Addition

One GW marine with plasma cannon for january

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Would three Warhound Titans from Epic qualify as a themed group? They're a bit bigger than a Terminator.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I, Weirdo, Oath five Games Workshop goblins and one Leadbelcher (each kitbashed with Night goblin and ork parts). In addition, I oath 12 objective/prop markers made from warhammer bits.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I, IrvingWashington, oath 1x Susan Ridley, bits of bonecrab, and 1x Security Terminal from Sedition Wars by Studio McVey/CMON (28mm)

This is my Diorama entry.

e: Including assembled picture per diorama rules:

I ended up using an extra piece of bonecrab and making a plasticard grate/grille too. I really hope that face isn't as blobby as it looks... but the casting quality for the second set of SW minis from the kickstarter really dipped in quality. Maybe I'll have to freehand a mouth :ohdear:

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 27, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Signal posted:

Would three Warhound Titans from Epic qualify as a themed group? They're a bit bigger than a Terminator.

I don't think epic warhounds are really big enough to be considered "Large", so you'd need 5 to be a themed group in the ~28mm regular dudes scale. I expect if you threw in a few other epic-scale stuff you could get there though: maybe a couple of tanks? I'm sure you could use a baneplade or two, right?

Ineptmule has the final say on this though.

e. For those of you doing a Diorama, please keep the rules in mind:

quote:

Diorama
2 points for completing, AND you can earn a sweet prize for having the best base, based on the judges' votes!
No additional scoring points to be earned from judges' votes
Separate prize for winner based on judge’s scores: a $25 gift voucher prize, courtesy of goon Zhent!
Everyone knows what a diorama is - basically a scene that you create, assemble and paint using one or more miniature models. Post a picture of your unpainted diorama (with timestamp) before starting, and post the completed pictures before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging! The completed pictures of your diorama must be from various angles.
Be sure to post 'This is my Diorama entry' when posting your Oath Complete picture to make sure we catch your entry.
NOTE: final pictures must have your name in the photos!

I think if you oath and complete your diorama in a single month, you can of course count it as your oath for purposes of the regular oath points and the Jurnal theme and so forth... but, you won't be eligible for January judges' points for your diorama. Instead, you get 2 points and you are entered into the special diorama judging that will happen at the end of the year.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 25, 2014

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Completed!

Detektuv Jurnal:

Gave it a shot using the two fireballs the guy is holding. My Wife made fun of me a lot because I kept accidentally referring to him as the guy with the balls...

In Addition:

This is my Diorama Entry!

This is the original picture before paint. You will notice nothing is glued together there, because it was a lot easier to paint when I could take each piece individually. Also those arrows on the right side are there only because I wanted to clip off one of the arrow shafts so that I could have it sticking out of one of the zombies, as you will see in the completed photos.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
:parrot:OATH COMPLETE:parrot:

It looks like the saga of awful priming didn't damage the model too badly. I attempted the Jurnal with glowy eyes, multi-melta barrels and back vents, but I didn't really know what I was doing and had to quit after several attempts before I did any more damage. Painting red all over the skin was a pain, but not nearly as bad as trying to create convincing light sources and getting the white plating decent.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Oath complete

Detektiv's Jurnal:

The light from the flame colours his backside

Edited for username

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 27, 2014

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
January Oath Complete

I never had the time to put together those markers, so I'll have to lump them into February.

Detekive's Jurnal is the OSL of the fusion blaster ammo tank, and also on the sensor pod. I wish that I had replaced the tank with something a bit smaller so that the light angles work a bit better, I may go back and retouch that top part of the canister so it blends in with the rest of the gun.

Haydrian fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 28, 2014

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

e. For those of you doing a Diorama, please keep the rules in mind:

I think if you oath and complete your diorama in a single month, you can of course count it as your oath for purposes of the regular oath points and the Jurnal theme and so forth... but, you won't be eligible for January judges' points for your diorama. Instead, you get 2 points and you are entered into the special diorama judging that will happen at the end of the year.

Okay, thanks for making this clear - I've edited my Oath post with an assembled pic (with date), and I'm cool with it not counting towards any judge points for Jan (I'll just be glad to finally get something done before the end of the month).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Raphus C posted:

Oath complete

Haydrian posted:

January Oath Complete

Both of you guys are missing usernames in your oath complete posts: there's still time to edit them in, if you want the points for that. Post to let me know if you do that.

IrvingWashington posted:

Okay, thanks for making this clear - I've edited my Oath post with an assembled pic (with date), and I'm cool with it not counting towards any judge points for Jan (I'll just be glad to finally get something done before the end of the month).

Alright, it looks good to me!

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
January Oath Complete

Germ
May 7, 2013

Oath Complete.

First up is my diorama. As I understand it, being a diorama it cannot be judged for extra points, but can count toward my Journal entry. I hope so, because this represents my first ever attempt at object source lighting. Not entirely pleased with it, but it is what it is. In case you can't tell, what it is a a wizard with a glowing staff standing in a graveyard. My gods, was this a pain to photograph.

Next up, my regular oaths. These were painted up for an (awesome) Apocalypse game I played this past weekend (battle report to be forthcoming in the 40k thread).

Ran this fellow as a Transcendent C'tan. Only lasted a turn, but my, oh my was he glorious! Even when dying, he wiped out the 3 squads of Sternguard who had just drop podded in to kill him.

Made these things our of foam and cardboard to run as sentry pylons during the game, and to serve as terrain afterwards. They're about 6 inches tall. They might count as terrain, but I also built them to use as playable models, so I won't be heartbroken if they don't count as terrain.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Both of you guys are missing usernames in your oath complete posts: there's still time to edit them in, if you want the points for that. Post to let me know if you do that.

Done.

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.

Leperflesh posted:

Oops, thanks for the heads up!

Haydrian fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 28, 2014

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Zhent posted:

I, Zhent, oath these 5 models for January:

Lady Justice, the Scales of Justice, and 3 Death Marshalls from Malifaux [Wyrd Miniatures].

OATH FAILED

The house hunt that I expected to take weeks doing ended at the fifth house we walked into, and that promptly sucked up the rest of my months free time. On the plus side, now I will have plenty of space for all the mini's that I fail to paint :getin:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Tadhg posted:

Almost forgot to do this today. Damned cutoffs!

:hist101:I, Tadhg, Oath to paint Gandalf, Saruman, and a Palantir for the month of January!:hist101:

They are all from Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings line of 28mm minis.

Booley posted:

Oath Addition

One GW marine with plasma cannon for january

Weirdo posted:

I, Weirdo, Oath five Games Workshop goblins and one Leadbelcher (each kitbashed with Night goblin and ork parts). In addition, I oath 12 objective/prop markers made from warhammer bits.

IrvingWashington posted:

I, IrvingWashington, oath 1x Susan Ridley, bits of bonecrab, and 1x Security Terminal from Sedition Wars by Studio McVey/CMON (28mm)

This is my Diorama entry.

All of the above oaths are Accepted!

Sorry for the delay in getting to these, I'm away for the next week or so at the huge Toy Fair in Nurnberg, Germany, where I hope to secure a few more prizes for end-of-year stuff. There's lots of painting & modeling stuff here, not much wargame-specific but many paint, tool and accessory suppliers like Badger, Springer-Pinsel (both already are Oath Thread sponsors!), Vallejo, iwata and many more.

I'll also be trying to work out what's happening with some of our sponsors and will update the thread with whatever I find out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

KingMob posted:

January Oath Complete

Did you do this month's Jurnal? It sort of looks like maybe you did with the lights, but I can't tell the difference between OSL and just using metallics (or just the affect of the lighting you're using for that matter) so I ask everyone to point out where they did a Jurnal entry.

Haydrian posted:

Oops, thanks for the heads up!

Credited both of you guys.

krushgroove posted:

All of the above oaths are Accepted!

Sorry for the delay in getting to these, I'm away for the next week or so at the huge Toy Fair in Nurnberg, Germany, where I hope to secure a few more prizes for end-of-year stuff. There's lots of painting & modeling stuff here, not much wargame-specific but many paint, tool and accessory suppliers like Badger, Springer-Pinsel (both already are Oath Thread sponsors!), Vallejo, iwata and many more.

I'll also be trying to work out what's happening with some of our sponsors and will update the thread with whatever I find out.

Do the judges have the December slideshow yet? I'd like to try and get them back to providing their judgements before a full month after the month being judged, if possible.

Let me know if you need help with the slideshow or something.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Can we use models from previous months to make the Strike a Pose or In Battle! entries?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 29, 2014

Leech
Dec 30, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Sure, you can speed-paint more than one. One is just the minimum. Also I gave you a point for Double the Fun, because you did this month's Jurnal as well as Speed Painting.

Thank you Leperflesh!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

Can we use models from previous months to make the Strike a Pose or In Battle! entries?

Looking at the OP, they're both valid as long as they're from this Oath season. So yeah!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Wife has plans to go out Friday night with work friends.. I thought perfect, I'll spend Friday night putting the finishing touches to this months minis.

Then remembered I too have plans for Friday night.

Feck.

Better get a wiggle on and find some painting time from somewhere.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

Do the judges have the December slideshow yet?

Yep, sent the link a while back but I'll drop them a reminder.

SRM posted:

Looking at the OP, they're both valid as long as they're from this Oath season. So yeah!

This is true!

Also I think I have sorted things with our missing prize brushes and hope to line up more End-of-Season prizes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Also I think I have sorted things with our missing prize brushes and hope to line up more End-of-Season prizes.

:)

I've got my models planned out for next month. One IG heavy weapons squad, coming right up :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I got a wriggle on and am pleased to declare oath complete

I'm reasonably pleased with this, the lightbox is working nicely but I still need to finesse my photos a bit more.

Can anyone tell what theme I'm going for here? I may well be continuing it in my next few oaths if I've time between minis for the D&D game.

Jurnal is the osl from the sword, and less obviously from the glowing eye on the burned side of his face (well, I had to do SOMETHING with the lovely moulding accident there...)

fantasy fantastic four! next up, reed richards, water wizard

• Locked thread