Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I gotta stop posting-without-rereading when I get interrupted.

Edit to add useful info:

"This morning, got to watch an SUV bomb along doing 30+ mph along a residential side street, slow down (but not down to 25, even) to blow through a stop sign while making a right turn onto a busy through street (right through the crosswalk I was about to enter) and then hammer down up the road again."

I see rolling stops (IE, slow waaay down but not stop, then continue) all the time, but "gently caress you" stops like that are rare.

Yeah, that's a shooting offense. I only do that when I'm out delivering papers 2AM-4AM. After 4AM I slow down a bit because you jogger fuckers are weird and like to get up at the asscrack of dawn to punish yourself. Stopsigns don't really exist before 5AM if I have good visibility on the intersection.

Basically what I'm saying is that newspaper delivery folks are loving insane :v:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah, that's a shooting offense. I only do that when I'm out delivering papers 2AM-4AM. After 4AM I slow down a bit because you jogger fuckers are weird and like to get up at the asscrack of dawn to punish yourself. Stopsigns don't really exist before 5AM if I have good visibility on the intersection.

Basically what I'm saying is that newspaper delivery folks are loving insane :v:
  • "People should be shot for doing this."
  • "I do this!"
Really?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krakkles posted:

• "I do this!"
Really?
To be fair, there's a lower level of severity to stupid driving(which that still is; at least do a rolling stop, goddamn) when almost nobody else is around, and most places are loving dead between 2am and 5am on weekdays. Of course, it just takes one time with a drunkard stumbling around wearing dark clothes, or a cop lurking, or someone on the cross-street deciding to blow through to ruin your day.

nsaP posted:

Alright well you kinda moved the goalposts from 'parent's getting preference at an intersection' to 'distracted parents blah blah' so whatever. I just work at a school like that with kids that get dropped off, so them getting chauffeured to the door is worth a bit more to me than you getting stopped for a few seconds
And to everyone who's not you, them getting to work on time(read Midniter's posts, it's not just a few second delay) is worth quite a bit more than kids being chauffeured to the door. Doubly so when it sounds like things were working just fine until the parents decided that they deserved special privileges.

The real solution would be to make sure that school zones were able to accomidate entering, exiting, and through traffic without causing huge traffic snarls, but that would require more money than just hiring a cop to prioritize one of those over the others. Either that or not plopping schools down near main arterials(and vice-versa).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Haifisch posted:

To be fair, there's a lower level of severity to stupid driving(which that still is; at least do a rolling stop, goddamn) when almost nobody else is around, and most places are loving dead between 2am and 5am on weekdays. Of course, it just takes one time with a drunkard stumbling around wearing dark clothes, or a cop lurking, or someone on the cross-street deciding to blow through to ruin your day.
Yeah. I have a similar attitude to speeding. Please don't try and do 90 in traffic that's all doing 70 or so on the motorway, but if you want to pull a ton-fifty at 4am on an empty road, I really don't have a problem with that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Krakkles posted:

• "I do this!"
Really?

Beach Bum posted:

:goonsay:

We also have the privilege of being intimately familiar with our routes, as it's the same streets every single day, and with the high-beams on nearly 24/7 (off for traffic, of course) it's very apparent when something is out of place. The only time this behavior occurs is with absolutely zero traffic of any kind. You may still say "That's not justification" but hey, that's on you.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 24, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Maybe I should hate you more, but I find it hard to get mad at this. Stop sign placement sucks sometimes and they are not always necessary at 3am in the morning. Hell I think it sucks even more to be sitting at a red light forever at the rear end crack of dawn with no traffic insight. Of course, I still obey the laws, I just cant get mad at Beach Bum.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Saw a jogger, ahem, jogging in the road, literally a foot from the nicely cleared sidewalk. Cars were having to go halfway into the oncoming lane to pass them. I sincerely hope they get turned into a loving hood ornament.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's the same in Denmark, pass/fail on its most basic level is decided on applied knowledge of traffic laws, but you also have to display that you are smoothly and confidently in control of your vehicle at all times, and that you know how to look ahead and anticipate traffic conditions. New and nervous drivers are of course given a bit of leeway, but they can be pretty harsh on anyone who has to retake the test.

I aced my driving test when I had to retake it, obviously :smug: The examiner even said so, he had absolutely no remarks at all. So it's not like the test is impossible, but it is difficult.

I failed my first driver's test here 20 years ago because I didn't know how to check if the vacuuum brake booster was working. After that we drove for two minutes, then he said "Nah, no point. Back to the station." Mind you I was wearing Doc Martens and army surplus shorts and I could almost hear the mental sniff at my apperance. On my retake I wore an ironed shirt and nice shoes and drove like I was transporting grandmother and a load of Ming dynasty vases. The test official asked why I'd failed the first time and I explained it, he just said "Oh, well, you now it know then, I'm sure."

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Terrible Robot posted:

Saw a jogger, ahem, jogging in the road, literally a foot from the nicely cleared sidewalk. Cars were having to go halfway into the oncoming lane to pass them. I sincerely hope they get turned into a loving hood ornament.

I see this all the god drat time. To make it even better, most of the people doing this that I see don't even have the common courtesy to walk against the flow of traffic. Just the other day I saw a guy doing this, just running down the road next to parked cars in the middle of the right hand lane. In downtown seattle on first ave(just a bit of a busy road), during rush hour. It was early enough that there was pretty much no one on the sidewalk, but lots of cars trying to drive in the right lane. I had to fight the urge to hit him with my wing mirror, mostly cause I didn't want to hurt my car.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Re: Joggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmZCsvE-sI&t=228s

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Haifisch posted:

And to everyone who's not you, them getting to work on time(read Midniter's posts, it's not just a few second delay) is worth quite a bit more than kids being chauffeured to the door. Doubly so when it sounds like things were working just fine until the parents decided that they deserved special privileges.

The real solution would be to make sure that school zones were able to accomidate entering, exiting, and through traffic without causing huge traffic snarls, but that would require more money than just hiring a cop to prioritize one of those over the others. Either that or not plopping schools down near main arterials(and vice-versa).

If you don't get to work on time because of a minute delay that's your own fault and maybe you should learn to take responsibility?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

nsaP posted:

If you don't get to work on time because of a minute delay that's your own fault and maybe you should learn to take responsibility?

Lol yeah, right. . . :patriot:

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
http://www.wbrz.com/news/200-accidents-2-weather-related-deaths-in-la-/

People have been sitting in traffic for hours today.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

People there rarely see temps below 30. When the roads ice over & it sprinkles a tiny bit of snow, people freak the gently caress out and it's like hell trying to get anywhere.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Devyl posted:

People there rarely see temps below 30. When the roads ice over & it sprinkles a tiny bit of snow, people freak the gently caress out and it's like hell trying to get anywhere.

Tell me about it. Today was a pretty long day. Freaking cold, rainy and lots of ice here.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You'd think that after a month of poo poo weather, the Chicago drivers could handle what I would generously call "flurries". There's just a light dusting in the air and nothing sticking to the ground. 40-45 mph in the right lane/exits, cars doing 50 to pass in the left lane on I-55 north of 80. There was a brief period of everyone doing 70 like God intended on 294 and it was glorious.

There was also a trio of plows doing a rolling road block going the other way with a half mile of cars following. Don't know what they were doing because there was no snow on the ground.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

There was also a trio of plows doing a rolling road block going the other way with a half mile of cars following. Don't know what they were doing because there was no snow on the ground.

Show of force to keep people from calling and complaining that the state DOT/city street department isn't doing their job and the roads are unsafe.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Runners are often taught that the road is much softer and more forgiving on one's joints when compared to a concrete sidewalk. That said, you have to draw the line somewhere...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Satellit3 posted:

Runners are often taught that the road is much softer and more forgiving on one's joints when compared to a concrete sidewalk.

You know what's softer and more forgiving? A treadmill.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
But is it more forgiving than a bumper to the knee? I can understand running in the road when nobody is around, but at rush hour?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Earbuds so you don't hear all those annoying cars, duh.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
What's 100 times more infuriating than an idiot causing an accident and making me late to work? An idiot causing an accident at the INTERSECTION INTO WORK. I was staring at the goddamn door to my office for 45 minutes because somebody full speed gunned it the wrong way on a split highway and caused a huge wreck. Seriously, how do you do the wrong thing here? Every drat road is split and marked WITH LIGHTS.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nsaP posted:

Coworker had a moan about being stuck behind me on the way into work this morning.

- You were only behind me for the last mile.
- It's a 30, I was doing an indicated 30.
- I slow to check for oncoming cars at the mini roundabout on the way.
- I arrived with enough time spare to get a drink and clock in. If you are a foot off my rear bumper, you do to.
- If this is a problem for you, leave home earlier.

Moron.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

11BulletCatcher posted:

Sorry for the cell phone pic, but I saw this on the way home on US 41 (business)

For those who can't see through the painful lo-fi, the entire right sight of that car is smashed right the gently caress in. When I was directly behind him the rear, center and front pillars on the passenger side formed a massive W. Florida could REALLY used safety inspections...

[edit] windshield was spiderwebbed with cracks, mirrors falling out of their holders, non working lights, etc. just about everything that could be wrong with a car, was wrong with this one.

Keep going farther north until you hit that bit between 41 and US 19 on highway 50. I've seen some that make that look safe. They still play padiddle here, but its strip padiddle. Last one to hit the roof loses an article of clothing. :getin:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

InitialDave posted:

Coworker had a moan about being stuck behind me on the way into work this morning.

- You were only behind me for the last mile.
- It's a 30, I was doing an indicated 30.
- I slow to check for oncoming cars at the mini roundabout on the way.
- I arrived with enough time spare to get a drink and clock in. If you are a foot off my rear bumper, you do to.
- If this is a problem for you, leave home earlier.

Moron.

You also saved him some gas, apparently.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
I saw the legendary taillight-less Ford last night! About 1:30am going eastbound on the mass pike black or dark blue focus with no tail lights driving with their high beams on. Not a new one either, looked like a first generation hatchback though I didn't stick around long enough to get a good look at it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Satellit3 posted:

Runners are often taught that the road is much softer and more forgiving on one's joints when compared to a concrete sidewalk. That said, you have to draw the line somewhere...

And they're totally wrong. Hate to quote a comment from another site, but this is a nice sum up:

quote:

Elastic modulus is for this kind of construction material is measured in gigapascals (GPa), which is an enormous amount of pressure. 1 GPa = 145,037.738 pounds per square inch.
Asphalt: 3-12 GPa
Concrete: 30-50 GPa
So, using an average of those values converted to PSI, you're looking at 1,160,302 psi to deform asphalt vs 5,801,510 psi to deform concrete. Bearing in mind that the average human foot has an area of about 25 square inches, this just gets kind of crazy.
Long story short, the difference between running on asphalt and concrete is easily wiped out by the compression of your shoes.
Also of note, cracks in concrete actually reduce the elastic modulus closer to that of asphalt, so poorly maintained sidewalks would (by the 'softness' measure) be more beneficial to run on.
if the person stepped with 300 pounds of force each time they brought a foot down. Even less if E were higher (same order of mag. though). 5.0x10-5 inches is ~1/20,000th of an inch.
If the sole of the runner's shoe deforms ~1/8th of an inch on impact, that's 2,500 times as great a distance as the concrete/asphalt would deform. This makes the compression/"springiness" of the concrete vs. asphalt completely negligible compared to the deformation of the runner's own shoes and feet (both of which are designed to absorb the impact on the ground like a "spring," so to speak). If you're running on clay or rubber on a track then it's a different story (somewhat--still rather low deformation distance, but much more elasticity).
I honestly bet that the runner would feel no difference if running over a literally incompressible surface vs. concrete vs. asphalt.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 25, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Runners are just insane and it's a good idea to avoid engaging them. The whole process is largely a mental exercise, they ban headphones in marathons because everyone believes running to a rhythm is an unfair advantage.

I just hope they wear brightly covered crap so they're easy to spot on the road.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Wait, you have to run for hours without music?
Not that I was going to do that anyway, but now, nope even more.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Gallatin County Sheriff's Office reports for Thursday posted:

A woman was cited for making a U-turn in a bus loading zone and then parking in the bus loading zone to drop off her kids at a Three Forks school. The woman was “distraught and argumentative.”

Also

quote:

A man who bought a vehicle went to get a new title, but the seller had signed the old title in the wrong place. The seller wouldn't cooperate with the man and sign the title again.

Montana titles have to be notarized when transferring too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

fralbjabar posted:

I saw the legendary taillight-less Ford last night! About 1:30am going eastbound on the mass pike black or dark blue focus with no tail lights driving with their high beams on. Not a new one either, looked like a first generation hatchback though I didn't stick around long enough to get a good look at it.

Best part is if it was a first generation then their gauges wouldn't have been lit up with the lights off. How the gently caress do you drive at night with dark gauges and not get the hint that you've forgotten something.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

8ender posted:

Best part is if it was a first generation then their gauges wouldn't have been lit up with the lights off. How the gently caress do you drive at night with dark gauges and not get the hint that you've forgotten something.

If it's like the rental Hyundai I had several years ago, it's because the gauge cluster lights don't work at all. God that car sucked.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

StormDrain posted:

*the laws don't apply to me because children lady*

I'd wager there's a better than even chance she throws a poo poo fit, rallies a bunch of outraged parents and gets the citation tossed and a public apology from the sheriff's office.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Do new Ford Fusions not have a gas cap or something that requires a higher level of IQ to add fuel? I was at a very busy gas station, so I pulled in behind someone who had just parked at a pump. They got out of their car, opened the fuel door, and then just stared at it for a while. They opened their car door to say something to the passenger (I couldn't hear a word of their conversation) and the passenger got out of the car and went to stare at the fuel door. They poked and prodded it with their hands and the fuel filler for a while longer, the passenger got back in and the driver went into the station. A couple minutes later the driver came out, put the hose in and might have added fuel for about 10 seconds or so before giving up and driving off. I really want to know how that guy if ever got fuel. . . and how the hell did he ever pass a driving test???

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

Do new Ford Fusions not have a gas cap or something that requires a higher level of IQ to add fuel? I was at a very busy gas station, so I pulled in behind someone who had just parked at a pump. They got out of their car, opened the fuel door, and then just stared at it for a while. They opened their car door to say something to the passenger (I couldn't hear a word of their conversation) and the passenger got out of the car and went to stare at the fuel door. They poked and prodded it with their hands and the fuel filler for a while longer, the passenger got back in and the driver went into the station. A couple minutes later the driver came out, put the hose in and might have added fuel for about 10 seconds or so before giving up and driving off. I really want to know how that guy if ever got fuel. . . and how the hell did he ever pass a driving test???

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/05/ford-easy-fill-isnt-always-easy/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Runners are just insane and it's a good idea to avoid engaging them. The whole process is largely a mental exercise, they ban headphones in marathons because everyone believes running to a rhythm is an unfair advantage.
But starting people at different times and still declaring whomever crosses the line first the overall winner is just fine.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Satellit3 posted:

In LA the sidewalks are often absolutely wrecked thanks to tree roots causing slabs to form 6"+ cracks and all sorts of terrible terrain which you simply can't see at night. This is the only reason I run in the roads and only on empty residential streets. I usually run onto the pavement if I see a car coming.

Then again there are enough actual places to go running around here that you don't see too many joggers in the streets in general. Novice cyclists on wobbly beach cruisers with no hands on the handlebars next to 45mph traffic on the other hand... :eng99:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Insanity on the Gulf Coast last night. I went with my son to pick up some furniture in a box truck, we had no trouble getting there and back, but good lord. We saw no less than four accidents on the way home, one a three-car fatality. We got home, unloaded, and left the truck in front of the house because with no accidents there was physically no way to bring the truck back to where it needed to go, as all routes were shut off due to accidents.

Woke up this morning and found out further down the highway there was a 47 car pileup.

http://www.sunherald.com/2014/01/24/5284048/officials-warn-drivers-of-icy.html

Part of the problem? Roads iced up, counties didn't bother buying salt / sand because it's the gulf coast and it never gets cold.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
We have snow forecasted here next week (N. FL). I am terrified of what horrors I could witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

8ender posted:

The first gen didn't have DRLs (in the US, anyway).

IIRC, Fords used to run parking lights and dash lighting through the same fuse and switch. If something popped the fuse and/or the switch failed, you'd have only headlights. It'd be obvious something was broken, but if you have to get home, you have to get home.