Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xeras posted:

I am in search of a new gaming headset. I have been using this headset but I have big ears and this one hurts. Some random googling turned up possibly corsair vengeance 1500 but that seemed to have mixed reviews. Any suggestions for someone with big ears?

Edit: When I say too big I mean my ears stick out too far and the inside of the headphones hurts my ear.

Everyone who is going to give you good advice is going to tell you to not buy a "gamer" brand headset from the usual names you see sponsoring the game tournament scenes, and instead buy some audiophile piece of equipment that has the most impeccable sound quality and then also buy input separately. Like a desk mic or whatever.

I'm not one of those people, because I've bought that stuff before and while I admit that it does sound fantastic, I also know I'm hard on poo poo. However, if you are gentle with your goods and are loaded with cash, the Sennheiser 360 is pretty nice.

In the "gamer headset" area, I don't know your ears, and I don't have big ears myself, but I'd say just focus on comfort and a good quality mic. There's so many headsets, it's hard to tell you what to recommend. The Razer Kraken Pro (Newegg) and ASUS Orion Pro (Newegg) are known to have large cups while still remaining comfortable. The most comfortable to the average reviewer seems to be the Steelseries Siberia V2, which is discounted in a lot of places right now and leading to speculation that a V3 is on the way, though supposedly the audio quality is a bit flat if you're an audiophile type.

Avoid Logitech for headsets. Easily broken components and very uncomfortable.

Also, know if you play consoles that the PS4's controller has a 3.5mm jack that, with an adapter, will accept many PC headsets, and unlike last gen you can specify to have chat and game audio sent through headphones. This is a slight edge over USB which has to be plugged into the front of the PS4 itself. Xbox One decided to go with digital outputs on their controllers and with a proprietary connector at that, so poo poo is hosed over there until software patches and accessories emerge. Right now, who knows if you will ever be able to use a PC headset on it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

So my G400 stopped working suddenly today.

"Click this" indeed

I ran virus checks which turned up blank, and I get the same pop up on other computers, so it seems genuinely busted.

This thread recommended the G400 among other things because of Logitech's gracious warranty terms. How go I best go about reporting this? I bought it through amazon, don't know where the physical ledger is but I could probably find it if I really had to. I still have the box and "Important Information" booklet.

I've had it for little over a year (I got it September or October 2012).

Just throwing it out there, but you try the basic trouble shooting like switching USB ports and reinstalling drivers, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

notZaar posted:

Just throwing it out there, but you try the basic trouble shooting like switching USB ports and reinstalling drivers, right?

Yes. And did so on multiple PCs.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Rinkles posted:

If it means I get to experiment on and potentially ~trick out~ a G400 with impunity, I almost wouldn't mind as long as the replacement's quick.

I just warrantied a Logitech Performance Mouse MX that had a thumb button stuck in, this week. I bought it in August 2011 and all I did was attach a picture to the warranty request of the button stuck in. I put the warranty request in on the 18th, the new mouse showed up on the doorstep today. It was extremely painless and I was surprised because the Logitech warranty person said give it 10-14 business days. Of note is that the new device keeps the same 3 year warranty of the original purchase, so after August this year even the new one is out of warranty.

In the meantime I took the old mouse and hit it a few times on the desk really hard and the button became unstuck and it works like a charm, so now I have 2 working mice. I kind of feel like I cheated them but I'm pretty sure If I'd opened the drat thing to fix it I'd have just had a broken mouse and no replacement.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Rinkles posted:

Yes. And did so on multiple PCs.

My old logitech mouse (MX518 I think) had this problem. Never ever get computer alerts for it though. It just constantly connects and disconnects while sitting there. Hearing the beeps and boops of USB devices being connected and disconnected. Ended up being a bad USB wire, which is kind of something Logitech is known for some reason. They will happily replace it though for free.

The only time I've ever had to send the original back to Logitech was with my 2.1 Speakers where one of the speakers were significantly more quiet than the other one. But I still got a brand new box for it. I didn't have to send my Logitech controller 310 when I had it warrantied.

There might be some problems with Logitech but they are still really great products and a wonderful support team.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I love Logitech because they're one of the few manufacturers who cater to gaming without making their products look like toys.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

notZaar posted:

I love Logitech because they're one of the few manufacturers who cater to gaming without making their products look like toys.

Yeah, that's the big thing for me. When I upgrade a mouse I can use the old one at work without feeling embarrassed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah, that's the big thing for me. When I upgrade a mouse I can use the old one at work without feeling embarrassed.
Really? Are they still putting out hideous devices like this?

Fantastic mouse. Terrible visual design.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

notZaar posted:

I had to check Logitech's site to see what they're selling now:

I respectfully disagree with you.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mine looks like this:

It doesn't look stunning, but it looks pretty much like any other mouse - no crazy lights, no stupid patterns, and nothing that looks like it came off a transformer. Something that looks unremarkable.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
The silvery one is the MX518, not the G400. G400s came in mat black at first, now they look like the art team for the Tron movies got a hold of them.

Frankly, I liked the silvery "looks dented" thing on the 510 and 518 and could do without the Tron theme the current crop of G mouses have.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The MX518 is long discontinued.

Essobie posted:

The silvery one is the MX518, not the G400. G400s came in mat black at first, now they look like the art team for the Tron movies got a hold of them.

What the hell were they thinking after the G400 got it so right (i.e., plain vanilla design)? Also when did the price of the G400 jump so much? Or is it only temporarily at MSRP on Amazon?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rinkles posted:

The MX518 is long discontinued.
I'm aware of that. My point is that they had embarrassing looking devices 10 years ago when I last bought a mouse from them, and I was curious to see if that trend ever stopped. I see now that it has not.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm aware of that. My point is that they had embarrassing looking devices 10 years ago when I last bought a mouse from them, and I was curious to see if that trend ever stopped. I see now that it has not.

Well I think it did (look at the G400 era), but it looks like they've recently returned to the XTREME GAMER aesthetic. Maybe that poo poo sells more, idk.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I don't know, this is ugly, but it's hardly an MLG PRO HEADSHOT aesthetic- I've seen ergonomic office peripherals that look similar to that.

That other poo poo, though- yeesh. Then again, I'm still rocking a MS Sidewinder mouse, because I love the side-button arrangement on it so much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I don't know, this is ugly, but it's hardly an MLG PRO HEADSHOT aesthetic- I've seen ergonomic office peripherals that look similar to that.

That other poo poo, though- yeesh.

I've never used one, but Razer occasionally also has understated designs.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I like Logitech because in the 10-15 years I've been buying mice from them, I've always been able to find a solid gaming mouse that didn't look embarrassingly lovely. They have always and will probably keep making lots of gently caress-ugly mice too, but it's not all they do.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I had to check Logitech's site to see what they're selling now:

I respectfully disagree with you.

You kidding me? That looks worse.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Mine looks like this:

It doesn't look stunning, but it looks pretty much like any other mouse - no crazy lights, no stupid patterns, and nothing that looks like it came off a transformer. Something that looks unremarkable.

Mine looks like that, only with some stupid black/blue speckle color scheme. I think it's a slightly older model. All the extra buttons are pretty nice to have, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

His point.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Please read the post that I quoted again. I'm not saying that it looks good.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I've been browsing for a new mouse to replace my trusty old G5. There's nothing wrong it, I just thought that surely there would be better designs on the market by now. Looks like that was not a safe assumption, though. I just want an adjustable-dpi mouse that comes up to the G5's standards in sensor quality, but with a flat-topped scroll wheel that's easier to click, and side button(s) that are wider and/or more prominent, better for regular use as a primary mouse button. A shape more suitable for a claw grip would be nice too, but it looks like I'd be lucky just to fulfill the other criteria.

I'd prefer to stick with Logitech, since there's literally no other company that has ever impressed me with the construction quality of their PC peripherals. However, the sheer number of side buttons on their current lineup are a huge turn-off. The individual buttons look more functional than the G5's dinky little nubbin, but I only want one, maybe two good ones, not a goddamn million of them to get in the way. Honestly, I think the G9 or MS Sidewinder would've been ideal for me, but they only show up used for exorbitant prices these days. :sigh:

Just out of curiosity, why is the the G400 better than the G500? The G500 looks like a better mouse, but people seem to vastly prefer the G400.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rinkles posted:

I've never used one, but Razer occasionally also has understated designs.
The Deathadder is a really clean design, which is one of the reasons I got one. The only :pcgaming: thing is the stupid blue logo on the body that fades in and out, you can disable it but that requires installing the awful software so gently caress it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Whats a good, relatively new coop game that is really awesome?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

What kind?

Borderlands 2, Risk of Rain, Monaco, Payday 2, Hammerwatch, Saints Row 4, Torchlight 2.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

kloa posted:

What kind?

Borderlands 2, Risk of Rain, Monaco, Payday 2, Hammerwatch, Saints Row 4, Torchlight 2.

Is Borderlands 2 pretty good with just all the DLC, or are there some essential mods?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

goodness posted:

Is Borderlands 2 pretty good with just all the DLC, or are there some essential mods?

No mods outside changing loot rates if you think they're unfair/unfun. I changed mine slightly - I find the default ones in the thread OP way too lenient.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Deathadder is a really clean design, which is one of the reasons I got one. The only :pcgaming: thing is the stupid blue logo on the body that fades in and out, you can disable it but that requires installing the awful software so gently caress it.

I have the black version with no led. Great for Starcraft.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Cathair posted:

Just out of curiosity, why is the the G400 better than the G500? The G500 looks like a better mouse, but people seem to vastly prefer the G400.

I have the G400 at home which is mostly used for playing games. I have a the G500 at work which is mostly for doing work (but it was used quite a bit trying to play games as well, but just wasn't as good). Here's why I think so:

G400's top buttons are easier to press than the G500's, which are off to the left of the LMB. G400's are in front of and behind the wheel.

G400 has only two thumb buttons compared to the G500's three, but the buttons on the 400 are much easier to press intentionally and are much easier to hold down with little to no stress on my thumb. If you play a game where you bind something that you need to hold down (aim down sights) to a thumb button, the G500 is not going to make the inside of your thumb very happy.

The pros to the G500 are: more buttons, left and right clicks on the wheel (I can never get used to using them, so I don't bother), and the wheel has one of those toggles that removes the notch stops on the mouse wheel for super-fast scrolling (something I use for work, but would never use for gaming).

Oh, and the 400 is typically 10-20 bucks cheaper than the 500. Why it has gone up from 40 bucks to 50 now that it has this god-awful blue tron skin, I have no idea. I got mine over the holidays for 40 from Best Buy, and it looks like they are entirely sold out of them now.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Essobie posted:

I have the G400 at home which is mostly used for playing games. I have a the G500 at work which is mostly for doing work (but it was used quite a bit trying to play games as well, but just wasn't as good). Here's why I think so:

G400's top buttons are easier to press than the G500's, which are off to the left of the LMB. G400's are in front of and behind the wheel.

G400 has only two thumb buttons compared to the G500's three, but the buttons on the 400 are much easier to press intentionally and are much easier to hold down with little to no stress on my thumb. If you play a game where you bind something that you need to hold down (aim down sights) to a thumb button, the G500 is not going to make the inside of your thumb very happy.

The pros to the G500 are: more buttons, left and right clicks on the wheel (I can never get used to using them, so I don't bother), and the wheel has one of those toggles that removes the notch stops on the mouse wheel for super-fast scrolling (something I use for work, but would never use for gaming).

Oh, and the 400 is typically 10-20 bucks cheaper than the 500. Why it has gone up from 40 bucks to 50 now that it has this god-awful blue tron skin, I have no idea. I got mine over the holidays for 40 from Best Buy, and it looks like they are entirely sold out of them now.

I'm using a 500 at home right now and my only real beef with it is that after a while the scroll wheel becomes a little unreliable - sometimes it takes two notches to scroll one unit in a game, sometimes it scrolls two units after moving the wheel one notch, and sometimes it scrolls in one direction and then back again when you move it one notch. I like everything else about it, but when it comes time to upgrade I'm probably going to go for a mouse without a smooth scrolling button.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you can find a non tronned g400 on amazon or eBay for around $35 go for it, that mouse is amazing because of just how functional and discrete it is.

How are razer keyboards?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

goodness posted:

Whats a good, relatively new coop game that is really awesome?

I really enjoyed Diablo 3 for what it was, but at this point you should wait until March when they shut down the Auction House and rebalance the loot tables.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I got my "tronned" G400 in today, and I'm absolutely loving it. However, for those wary of the appearance, it's not nearly as noticeable as the pictures make it out to be. The blue is much darker than in the pictures, and considering the blue leds on my tower, it doesn't stand out much. It doesn't glow, and it has the same profile as the previous G400 models.

Overall it works great and it's super comfortable. My only complaint is the relatively low mouse wheel, which is almost flush with the chassis of the mouse. I wish it were a bit more pronounced, like my Razer Imperator, but it's mostly a preference thing. It hasn't caused me any problems at all, I suppose my hand is just used to the higher wheel.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Slightly weird question, but -
My partner and I currently share a one room place because rent prices in London are terrible. We currently work very different shifts meaning we're sometimes awake at different times - can anyone recommend a good mouse that clicks relatively quietly? I'd love to be able to play games like Dota 2 after-hours without feeling noisy as hell. How do those Logitech mice that have been posted like the G400 stack up? Would be grateful for any advice or recommendations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The Grumbles posted:

Slightly weird question, but -
My partner and I currently share a one room place because rent prices in London are terrible. We currently work very different shifts meaning we're sometimes awake at different times - can anyone recommend a good mouse that clicks relatively quietly? I'd love to be able to play games like Dota 2 after-hours without feeling noisy as hell. How do those Logitech mice that have been posted like the G400 stack up? Would be grateful for any advice or recommendations.

The G400 is much quieter than the Razer Imperator I used to use.

Semi-related to this thread, but I just upgraded from a 19" monitor to a 24" monitor. I did not realize how much bigger a 24" is compared to a 19". It's like I'm sitting in front of a television.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Dirty Job posted:

The G400 is much quieter than the Razer Imperator I used to use.

Semi-related to this thread, but I just upgraded from a 19" monitor to a 24" monitor. I did not realize how much bigger a 24" is compared to a 19". It's like I'm sitting in front of a television.

Just wait until you get a 27" like me. :shepface:

Tiny monitors are for suckers. Even have a 32" TV next to it for my console gaming.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
120hz+ or it's a waste.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ularg posted:

Just wait until you get a 27" like me. :shepface:

Tiny monitors are for suckers. Even have a 32" TV next to it for my console gaming.

But what about resolution non-agnostic stuff like the forums? I don't like having things too blurry from zooming. Or is your 27" just 1080p.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

But what about resolution non-agnostic stuff like the forums? I don't like having things too blurry from zooming. Or is your 27" just 1080p.

How does zooming make text blurry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Zooming affects images, too, y'know.

• Locked thread