Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dacap posted:

Iv always wondered if there was a surge in people entering paleontology in the early 2000s from people who saw Jurassic Park as a kid

My completely unscientific anecdotes would say yes, Jurassic Park was loving huge for me and a lot of my friends, and of the 5 of us who swore to be dinosaur hunters, 1 decided to go with anthropology, one is a geologist, and another went from anthropology to being a teacher. So none of us ended up becoming paleontologists, but 2 of us stayed in the sciences, and one of us is a drat good teacher. that's gotta count for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dacap posted:

Iv always wondered if there was a surge in people entering paleontology in the early 2000s from people who saw Jurassic Park as a kid

Forget paleontology, I wanted to become an archiologist when I was a kid because of Indiana Jones.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

StumblyWumbly posted:

The FF discussion makes me realize two things:
I associate Johnny with white privilege.

I think that Johnny Storm is like the Hulk for the following reason.
You could take all the core/essential elements of both characters, their personalities, their histories, their backgrounds and yet if you did nothing but change the colour of their skin to black, I think people would become offended and claim you've just created offensive stereotypes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

fatherboxx posted:

people love Doom more than FF themselves.

People love Doom in his armor and green cape going "DOOM COMMANDS IT!" "KNEEL BEFORE DOOM, PEASANT!" and "RICHAAAAARDS!" :doom:

Not what ever the hell we got in the FF movies. It would be like if in a remake of Star Wars they changed Darth Vader into a Surfboarding Ninja who just wears a black trenchcoat and wisecracks all the time.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
I didn't see this posted in the pages since the synopsis was posted, so consider it debunked - http://www.slashfilm.com/josh-trank-says-rumored-synopsis-for-fantastic-four-is-totally-false/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

devoir posted:

I didn't see this posted in the pages since the synopsis was posted, so consider it debunked - http://www.slashfilm.com/josh-trank-says-rumored-synopsis-for-fantastic-four-is-totally-false/

I posted that on the previous page. I'm glad too. I'm hoping the take the Ultimate Fantastic Four origin as had been rumored as I love the Ultimate Fantastic Four.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

I posted that on the previous page. I'm glad too. I'm hoping the take the Ultimate Fantastic Four origin as had been rumored as I love the Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Whoops, I skimmed looking for links and didn't notice your post summing it up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've only read Ultimate comics on and off over the years, and almost entirely Spiderman, but I do know Ultimate Reed is considered one of the biggest villains in that universe. How does that happen?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's basically just a twist on 616 Reed's plans to "Fix everything". Ultimate Reed is younger, has had a lot of bad stuff happen to him, and didn't have Nathanial around, so he's more unbalanced

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I've only read Ultimate comics on and off over the years, and almost entirely Spiderman, but I do know Ultimate Reed is considered one of the biggest villains in that universe. How does that happen?

He decided that he knew better than everyone else how to run the world. He then spent 1000 subjective years building a society of genetically engineered humans in a place called The City. He then brought The City to Earth and blew up a rather large chunk of Europe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Almost all Reeds in all the alternate universes go bad eventually. The 616 is one of the few that doesn't it seems. He basically snapped and went crazy shortly after Susan turned down his marriage proposal. He killed his family and faked his death and turned into one of the biggest villains by killing millions of people in Europe and creating his own advanced society. Then he destroyed Asgard and killed most of the Ultimate Norse Gods among other things. All of it was his plan to make the world better. But he was crazy you see.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Venture Brothers universe Reed Richards went bad too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ah, that explains it. Wait, Kang prevented 616 Reed from going nuts?

BTW, that is the #1 villain I want to see, loving Kang with is bright green Kimono and purple hooker boots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Ah, that explains it. Wait, Kang prevented 616 Reed from going nuts?

BTW, that is the #1 villain I want to see, loving Kang with is bright green Kimono and purple hooker boots.

No, Kang caused every other Reed to go nuts because he made them every single Nathaniel Richards fight in a massive battle royale to the death. 616 Reed's Nathaniel is the only one who survived.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

No, Kang caused every other Reed to go nuts because he made them every single Nathaniel Richards fight in a massive battle royale to the death. 616 Reed's Nathaniel is the only one who survived.

Because Hickman wanted to do a story about the importance of having a father.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Thats insane, even for Marvel stuff.

I don't know why, but Kang and Ultron are tied together in my mind, and it can't be the first storyline of Bendis's avenger run. I will expect Kang in Avengers 2 up until I actually see it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know why, but Kang and Ultron are tied together in my mind, and it can't be the first storyline of Bendis's avenger run. I will expect Kang in Avengers 2 up until I actually see it.

It's Kang everything involved with him is crazy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Nathaniel was partially to blame because he was the one that caused every Nathaniel Richards in the multiverse to show up in 616. Kang was just the one who had to clean up the mess of too many Nathaniels.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nathaniel was partially to blame because he was the one that caused every Nathaniel Richards in the multiverse to show up in 616. Kang was just the one who had to clean up the mess of too many Nathaniels.

I guess because Kang is non-Liner that hasn't happened yet in the old marvel comics I've been reading.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Fantastic Four 7: Too Many Nathaniels!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I guess because Kang is non-Liner that hasn't happened yet in the old marvel comics I've been reading.

It's all explained in Hickman's FF.

Or rather it's hinted at, alluded to, foreshadowed, then related by an unreliable narrator.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Madrox posted:

Fantastic Four 7: Too Many Nathaniels!

No one tell anyone about the Cable cameo!

Jonny Nox posted:

It's all explained in Hickman's FF.

Or rather it's hinted at, alluded to, foreshadowed, then related by an unreliable narrator.

I have to pick up the trades for that at some point, that and Young Avengers are at the top of my list.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
This man speaks truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjLG_yNXWA

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Today is apparently an X-Men day and they are going to be revealing a ton of stuff including 25 different character covers and possibly a new trailer later.

Here's what's out so far:

Sentinel:

Toad:

Even younger Stryker:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phew, here I was worried that the movie would look like a cheap 90s sci fi show.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Oh god please let the Stryker story line just die... pleaaaassseeeeeee

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Oh god please let the Stryker story line just die... pleaaaassseeeeeee

I want them to go even further with it. Age of Apocalypse having a toddler Stryker plotting against mutants.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I live that they have 25 covers and want people to "complete the sequence".

Must be how they are still the worlds biggest film magazine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously meant as an homage to X-Men Vol. 2 #1.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well they need some way to try and stay in print beyond constantly doing best of lists.

Havok

Mystique

Trask

The tag line combined with the Trask photo is pretty unintentionally funny.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Somebody just turn to Page 6 already!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Man are those covers awful.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

redbackground posted:

Somebody just turn to Page 6 already!

Not until we see 19 more :getin:

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Until this page I thought Dinklage was going to be playing Puck.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Havok is keeping his energy hula hoop power it seems. Lucas Till is probably not going to like that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Sentinels: Twice as tall as Peter Dinklage. Mutants beware!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Sentinels: Twice as tall as Peter Dinklage. Mutants beware!

But that's like... TWO of him! :aaa:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Beast

Quicksilver

This movie sure is going to be a treat :getin:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

man i love Glamsilver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
For some reason Quicksilver is suddenly reminding me of a Cold War-era Metal Gear character.

• Locked thread